i was looking into buying a bb storm on ebay bnib to use for att,but i was worried if i get a faulty one how do i get it exchanged.
    01-13-09 08:49 PM
    You would need to contact the seller. Verizon doesn't warranty customer provided equipment.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-09 08:56 PM
    You probably won't have many choices. I don’t think RIM would warranty phone directly... but maybe they would...

Seems like you would be on your own.
    01-13-09 08:57 PM
    You can't warranty an unlocked phone.
    01-13-09 08:58 PM
    AT&T will definately not cover you if you purchased the unit outside. They will not even insure the phone in case of loss. If it doesnt come with a warranty from RIM, you are on your own unfortunately.
    01-13-09 09:00 PM
    Yep, thats a unanimous "you are on your own". Sorry....we still have room for you over here even though our family grew ALOT lately. LOL
    01-13-09 09:04 PM
    Well this is odd. I say get the receipt from the person that way you can bring it to verizon to warranty. If they don't you may have to go through RIM to get an exchange. Good luck.
    01-13-09 09:10 PM
    Well this is odd. I say get the receipt from the person that way you can bring it to verizon to warranty. If they don't you may have to go through RIM to get an exchange. Good luck.
    Although it may work, they'll ask for you telephone number so they can pull up your account information. So if you dont have a Verizon account, it would do no good even if you have receipt because your phone number is not the same as the one on the receipt.

I have an extra Storm that is unlocked that I plan to sell. I'm more than likely include the receipt even though I dont think it would help but you never know.
    01-13-09 10:39 PM
    Although it may work, they'll ask for you telephone number so they can pull up your account information. So if you dont have a Verizon account, it would do no good even if you have receipt because your phone number is not the same as the one on the receipt.

I have an extra Storm that is unlocked that I plan to sell. I'm more than likely include the receipt even though I dont think it would help but you never know.
    True, but atleast you can argue that it was bought from Verizon, and that it is less than a year old. I don't see why the warranty wouldn't be valid. But that is me trying to be reasonable Verizon may be different.

Even if you get it exchanged out through Verizon or Rim, you would have to ask them to kindly unlock it for you again or I think you can pay some one to do it. Either way seems like a major pain to go through.
    01-13-09 10:46 PM
    Your S.O.L. plain and simple. I've been up and down this road, talked to everyone at both Verizon and RIM.

YOU HAVE NO WARRANTY.

Your not a "Current" Verizon customer. RIM sold Verizon the Warranty Rights. RIM will not and can not warranty the phone.

I did find a loop hole though. If your port is under thirty days old from Verizon to ATT you can cancel the port, this restarts the Verizon account and now warranty the phone through Verizon. Get the new phone, unlock it and port back to ATT.

That's what I'm going to do....
    01-13-09 10:51 PM
    True, but atleast you can argue that it was bought from Verizon, and that it is less than a year old. I don't see why the warranty wouldn't be valid. But that is me trying to be reasonable Verizon may be different.

Even if you get it exchanged out through Verizon or Rim, you would have to ask them to kindly unlock it for you again or I think you can pay some one to do it. Either way seems like a major pain to go through.

ha, you put reasonable and verizon in the same sentence
    01-13-09 10:52 PM
    ha, you put reasonable and verizon in the same sentence
    Nice, I wrote that very slowly because for some reason it didn't feel right to me. You never know though, it did just snow in Vegas, anything is possible.
    01-13-09 10:56 PM
    lol, this thread made me laugh a little.
    01-13-09 11:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD