OK...I have a Storm, and I love it. Like many of us, I've had some issues. Considered returning it, but finally decided to stay with this twitchy beauty.

I know that every software update will improve the firmware/software issues. I personally noticed a big improvement from .65 to .75...so I believe that those updates will help us all.

BUT...the Storm also has hardware issues...moving parts. The clickable screen and the buttons.

So here's the question: if RIM decides the screen does, in fact, need to be redesigned and they come out with a new version that has a better clickable screen and more reliable buttons...would we be able to get that model to replace ours? Or would they say, sorry, you have the OLD one.

Like happened with the iPhone. The first one was soon replaced by a newer, faster one, and all the original owners were kind of stuck.

Thoughts?
    12-12-08 10:13 AM
    I don't think there's any doubt that that's exactly what will hapen. Part of the price of being an early adapter. (guinea pig) Storm II will be much better in a lot of ways, and we'll have to wait for our NE2's again.
    12-12-08 10:17 AM
    I think we would be screwed. we are the beta testers.
    My thought is why does rim "owe" u a new one? You bought the origional phone and if a new one comes out the expect you to buy a new one. Business don't do anything for free. They do things to make money. Giving a new model to people who bought the old model makes no sence. That's like me expecting gm to give me a g6 since that's the new grand am.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'm sure if you pay $500 or less, you can gladly get the theoretically redesigned phone. You'll never get a second revision for free, unless there is a massive recall or something structurally wrong with the phone (like, spontaneous combustion)

Every year, car companies come out with new models. There doesn't seem to be a free upgrade to the current year model if you own the year prior's model.

"You pays your money, you takes your chances"
    12-12-08 10:20 AM
    I'm sure if you pay $500 or less, you can gladly get the theoretically redesigned phone. You'll never get a second revision for free, unless there is a massive recall or something structurally wrong with the phone (like, spontaneous combustion)

Every year, car companies come out with new models. There doesn't seem to be a free upgrade to the current year model if you own the year prior's model.

"You pays your money, you takes your chances"
    best analogy yet...

you are going to have to pay for the new one, and full retail at that. at least you can say you were a "storm pioneer"
    12-12-08 10:23 AM
    or even worse if Storm II were to released by another provider other than Verizon.
    12-12-08 10:26 AM
    hopefully the least verizon could do is offer all of us an early upgrade option so atleast we don't have to pay full retail for the device and can pay upgrade price. Also this would benefit verizon because it would be a longer contract for them
    12-12-08 10:26 AM
    or even worse if Storm II were to released by another provider other than Verizon.
    I don't think RIM would give another carrier exclusivity in the us market... VZW & RIM appear to be in bed with each other now. I was very surprised VZW got the first storm, but then I realized that its both a GSM & CDMA phone, I believe that if they make a "STORM LIKE", unless its dual gsm/cdma, that RIM will bring out a gsm version first... much like the curve and pearl being out on other carriers a lot sooner then on VZW...

"clifnotes": Next storm type from RIM will be dual gsm/cdma in order for it not to be released on a different carrier other than VZW.
    12-12-08 10:41 AM
    they wont release it within the year... otherwise if they do, i will warranty my current one enough times that they will offer a new phone.
    12-12-08 10:42 AM
    lets call verizon and tell them we want to preorder the STORM 2!!!
    12-12-08 10:44 AM
    I don't think there's any doubt that that's exactly what will hapen. Part of the price of being an early adapter. (guinea pig) Storm II will be much better in a lot of ways, and we'll have to wait for our NE2's again.
    I agree. And I have no doubt I'll buy Storm II also.

ps And yes, the 'new car model' analogy is right on target.
    Last edited by HD_Dude; 12-12-08 at 10:48 AM.
    12-12-08 10:45 AM
    Not me, I get annual upgrades.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-08 10:56 AM
    Just an FYI, but if you received a NE2 upgrade on your storm... VZW does allow you to do an "early upgrade" every 12months... you don't get your NE2 credit off the phone, but you still get the 2yr contract pricing. Thats better than paying full retail for it. But this is only on lines that pay more than $49.99... if your on a family share plan and are considered one of the secondary lines, then you must wait 20mths to do an upgrade. The primary line on the family share will be able to do the early upgrade though.
    12-12-08 11:00 AM
    hopefully the least verizon could do is offer all of us an early upgrade option so atleast we don't have to pay full retail for the device and can pay upgrade price. Also this would benefit verizon because it would be a longer contract for them

I think this is the option RIM will go with. This is what o2 did in the UK with the Iphone 3G, where they allowed customers to upgrade early when that handset was released.
    12-12-08 11:03 AM
    i don't think storm II will be coming out anytime soon anyhow. don't worry about it.
    12-12-08 11:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD