So Here we go...

I'll use the "I" word once, only as an example. The IPhone gets updates when Apple decides it needs one, not when AT&T does. Forget the control that Verizon demands, this is hypothetical.

SOO, let's pretend all is equal and the Storm is released with .65 (I know that it would not have happened) and then updated to .75 quickly. What would RIM have done if they were in control of updates?

Would they have updated to .85? Realizing the cost of rolling out an update..

Would they have waiting for .103? Or maybe .113?

Would they still be on .75?

Let's hear it....
    05-12-09 01:06 PM
    Look at what the other carriers have ok'd.... VzW is way behind. You could easily make the case that all storms would be .122 or later.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-09 01:13 PM
    Hows this for an idea. I dont think you would see builds the way we do now.

Thinking outside the box here, if RIM controlled when device firmware gets rolled out, I'd put the bank on alpha, beta, beta 2, beta 3, then release Ver.

But thats just "opinion" , not fact. Or is it???????
    05-12-09 01:48 PM
    You would have early updates of 5.0
    05-12-09 01:48 PM
    good question....
    05-12-09 01:53 PM

Thinking outside the box here, if RIM controlled when device firmware gets rolled out, I'd put the bank on alpha, beta, beta 2, beta 3, then release Ver.

That's interesting Radio. I was honestly hoping that you or CX would comment on this too.

Can you explain this a bit more? Like in a real world application. Just pretend that RIM controlled the OS update... I am just wondering what those folks in the parallel universe are seeing on their Storms
    05-12-09 02:26 PM
    Would be so much nicer. Then they wouldn't have to "leak" updates. Just release betas
    05-12-09 03:59 PM
    Its not the storm getting love they all do it. The bold still hasn't got an official OS. Some other berrys haven't seen an update in over a year. Rim just can't by pass the carriers. As for apple there is only one iphone model. And apple said u want our phone we control it not u that is one reason why vzw turned down apple. The storm works maybe not like iphone but nothing will. So many folks complain about the most minut things. Just be glad u can get a leak.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-09 05:48 PM
    That's interesting Radio. I was honestly hoping that you or CX would comment on this too.

Can you explain this a bit more? Like in a real world application. Just pretend that RIM controlled the OS update... I am just wondering what those folks in the parallel universe are seeing on their Storms
    haha well, I dont think anyone can answer this, as its a hypothetical.

But its just a guess, a theory if you will!

I'd say if they controlled all firmware releases, you wouldnt see builds. Maybe during alpha and beta stages, but you would see releases, such as Ver. 1 (build 75), Ver. 2 (maybe a 5.0 build), and say Ver. 3 (next year, maybe a 5.2 build).

Again, all just guesswork
    05-12-09 06:07 PM
    if it were up to RIM we'd prolly all have .113

seriously, we all know that each carrier isn't the same. maybe if was open source, one network, and each carrier owned a partial share in the infrastructure this would work, but aside from that VERY PIPE DREAM of an idea, i doubt that this scenario could work.

idk, too long of a response...i can't even get all of my thoughts out for this one.

you made me speechless!!!
    congrats, mark!
    05-12-09 07:04 PM

Yeah, and it would probably be like an Apple Mac is now (comparing to Apple because the OS/hardware bundling is more comparable than the way PCs running Windows is licensed) - it would ship with a given release version OS (it WOULD be gold code, since that is what gold code means anyways - final release means it went gold) and if an updated OS came out for that model; you'd have to buy it from RIM.

Plus, you'd probably have to install some sort of "driver" from your carrier to ensure it functions correctly, as RIM cannot do network level testing for every possible carrier. So, the carrier would still have to keep the "drivers" up to date and correct bugs.

Of course, all of this is a "What if?"; so these opinions are just that, opinions - and some speculation
    05-12-09 09:03 PM
    I have a better idea. How about RIM post up the builds for all the smart people to a site similar to the partner portal. Let's call it...." The download an OS of your choosing if you have half a brain Portal". Then every one of us would be happy, but the general public would still be left out in the cold.
    05-12-09 09:07 PM
    haha well, I dont think anyone can answer this, as its a hypothetical.

But its just a guess, a theory if you will!

I'd say if they controlled all firmware releases, you wouldnt see builds. Maybe during alpha and beta stages, but you would see releases, such as Ver. 1 (build 75), Ver. 2 (maybe a 5.0 build), and say Ver. 3 (next year, maybe a 5.2 build).

Again, all just guesswork
    Maybe they'd just go all Microsoft Server with their naming schemes:

Blackberry OS 2008 (4.7.0.75)
    Blackberry OS 2009 (5.0)
    Blackberry OS 2010 (5.2)

The accompanying BES software would be named accordingly!
    05-12-09 09:08 PM
    I have a better idea. How about RIM post up the builds for all the smart people to a site similar to the partner portal. Let's call it...." The download an OS of your choosing if you have half a brain Portal". Then every one of us would be happy, but the general public would still be left out in the cold.
    Somehow, I think the chances of this happening are about the same as the chances of Apple releasing a PC-native version of OSX (doesn't require workarounds to install) with an at-your-own-risk clause..... Slim to none (and Slim just left on vacation)

It seems leaks end up costing RIM $$$, so somthing like this is merely a dream
    05-12-09 09:10 PM
    exclusion is HAWT!!!
    05-12-09 09:16 PM
    Since it is a Canadian company, the true exchange rate for OS upgrade .114 would be equivalent to .75 American if RIM did the upgrade.
    Last edited by wxman2003; 05-12-09 at 11:15 PM.
    05-12-09 11:12 PM
    ^^^^

wtf, that actually seems to make sense, AND its funny too!!!

bonus
    05-12-09 11:14 PM
    Since it is a Canadian company, the true exchange rate for OS upgrade .113 would be equivalent to .75 American if RIM did the upgrade.
    Actually, in monetary/mathematical value .113 is less then .75... so it wouldn't work.
    05-12-09 11:15 PM
    here comes civic to ruin a fun post
    05-12-09 11:18 PM
    I like the idea of an alpha, beta, etc... because it basically says to the public, this is not final, and we are working on it. Plus a little communication goes a long way. This would help Verizon significantly. Apple holds a conference and says "here is what we will provide to you in an update in June."

I believe we would see something similar if RIM controlled things as well.

I also like Civic's idea of having a portal to use newer OS's for those that know what they are doing. I'd be first in line
    05-13-09 09:19 AM
    i like the idea also mark, but this would mean no carrier support, you call VZW for network and RIM for hardware/software...i guess it could work, the rest of the world does stand alone support....
    05-13-09 10:58 AM
    i realize i just went back on my previous posts, but i just woke up so i'm much more agreeable
    05-13-09 10:59 AM
    I like the idea of an alpha, beta, etc... because it basically says to the public, this is not final, and we are working on it. Plus a little communication goes a long way. This would help Verizon significantly. Apple holds a conference and says "here is what we will provide to you in an update in June."

I believe we would see something similar if RIM controlled things as well.

I also like Civic's idea of having a portal to use newer OS's for those that know what they are doing. I'd be first in line
    Yep, not only that, but they can update the BIS polling system to pull OS version from the handheld so that if you get caught calling 611 for help, the CSR on the phone looks up your OS and sees you have a non-carrier supported OS, at which point they advise you that they cannot help because of this and that they'd be very happy to assist if you reload a carrier supported version and call them back. Simple and efficient. When download the OS from the portal a TOS indicating that support through the carrier or RIM directly is not available to you if you're running ANY OS off the portal. Simple, legally covered, etc. The choice is in the hands of the user... they choose to run it and they are bound by the TOS stripping them from certain rights to support. I really don't see a problem with it.
    05-13-09 11:01 AM
    Yep, not only that, but they can update the BIS polling system to pull OS version from the handheld so that if you get caught calling 611 for help, the CSR on the phone looks up your OS and sees you have a non-carrier supported OS, at which point they advise you that they cannot help because of this and that they'd be very happy to assist if you reload a carrier supported version and call them back. Simple and efficient. When download the OS from the portal a TOS indicating that support through the carrier or RIM directly is not available to you if you're running ANY OS off the portal. Simple, legally covered, etc. The choice is in the hands of the user... they choose to run it and they are bound by the TOS stripping them from certain rights to support. I really don't see a problem with it.
    if VZW won't let apple support their own hardware in place of the tech support process they use currently, good luck getting VZW to approve on this too!!!
    05-13-09 11:19 AM
    It would also help developers avoid the kind of problems we're seeing with new OS builds breaking apps. QuickLaunch and .141 comes to mind.
    05-13-09 11:22 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD