I'm a long time treo guy the pre is awesome looking hopefully when it does come out for verizon it will change like adding a memory slot that dumb in my opinion, the storm has way to many issues, i think the click screen was genius but the web browser is terrible i wish they can fix that but i do want the palm pre fast but it won't happen for a while because i think palm was turned off by vzw working with blackberry on the storm while sprint carries all palm phones so I hope vzw gets it.
    04-05-09 09:25 AM
    Crackberry Kevin said that the Niagra OS could be released as 5.0. If thats the case, do not expect anything revolutionary.
    Outch! I didn't know that, I was hoping that 5.0 would be the bomb for our devices.

Having said that, I would definitely switch to the Pre if it works like the videos we are seeing on the Web.

I had 3 BB pearls last year and I like the appearance of my Storm. But the Storm is definitely not working like the promotional video.
    04-05-09 09:34 AM
    I'd set a date to go mock its form factor. *shudder*
    04-05-09 10:36 AM
    I'd... Just go on living my life and enjoying my storm. I looked at getting a treo prior to getting my first bb, the 8830 world edition, but blackberry had more functionality/style for what I planned to do. Perfectly happy where I'm at now
    04-05-09 01:41 PM
    For me it's quite simple. From everything I've seen on the Pre, I can only say one thing. THE INTEGRATION OF EVERYTHING THE PRE DOES IN TERMS OF CROSS APPLICATION INTERACTION IS REVOLUTIONARY!!!

Unless the Pre has really horrible email support for the enterprise, the PRE is an awesome device. The hardware may not be amazing, but the WebOS is really where the key features lye. The ability for simple things like being able to buy movie tickets online and automatically have the phone then "book" that time within your calendar is amazing. This is the kind of outside thinking that RIM should be doing. Right now, NOBODY in the mobile world can do what the WebOS from Palm can do... not without "specific" programming for intent purposes. By this I mean, the amount of intermeshing info that the WebOS does in unmatched by anything out there. If the PRE comes out for Verizon, it will be something I WILL be looking at closely. We will see how it goes once Sprint releases it and consumers start using it, but I can tell you this.... RIM's 5.0 OS is nothing more then "minor BS upgrades". I'm sorry, but there's nothing revolutionary there. RIM's only surviving feature has always only been Push Email. It's time for them to reinvent the wheel, if they fail to do that, they only risk going under. People use their handsets because nothing better is currently out, but year after year, better advancements are made in the mobile market. The key is to make an advancement so vast that the consumer has a very hard time finding anything negative about it. In other words, make a device that can do EVERYTHING. Don't hold anything back in hopes of getting people to keep coming back to you. Give them everything they want and then some.... this is where the Palm PRE seems to be positioned. If all is true about what the new WebOS can do, you're going to see come amazing capabilities from that device. I personally look forward to it.
    04-05-09 01:52 PM
    For me it's quite simple. From everything I've seen on the Pre, I can only say one thing. THE INTEGRATION OF EVERYTHING THE PRE DOES IN TERMS OF CROSS APPLICATION INTERACTION IS REVOLUTIONARY!!!

Unless the Pre has really horrible email support for the enterprise, the PRE is an awesome device. The hardware may not be amazing, but the WebOS is really where the key features lye. The ability for simple things like being able to buy movie tickets online and automatically have the phone then "book" that time within your calendar is amazing. This is the kind of outside thinking that RIM should be doing. Right now, NOBODY in the mobile world can do what the WebOS from Palm can do... not without "specific" programming for intent purposes. By this I mean, the amount of intermeshing info that the WebOS does in unmatched by anything out there. If the PRE comes out for Verizon, it will be something I WILL be looking at closely. We will see how it goes once Sprint releases it and consumers start using it, but I can tell you this.... RIM's 5.0 OS is nothing more then "minor BS upgrades". I'm sorry, but there's nothing revolutionary there. RIM's only surviving feature has always only been Push Email. It's time for them to reinvent the wheel, if they fail to do that, they only risk going under. People use their handsets because nothing better is currently out, but year after year, better advancements are made in the mobile market. The key is to make an advancement so vast that the consumer has a very hard time finding anything negative about it. In other words, make a device that can do EVERYTHING. Don't hold anything back in hopes of getting people to keep coming back to you. Give them everything they want and then some.... this is where the Palm PRE seems to be positioned. If all is true about what the new WebOS can do, you're going to see come amazing capabilities from that device. I personally look forward to it.
    Yea but that keyboard is disgusting. It could drive my car for me, an I still would not use it because of that god aweful keyboard.
    04-05-09 01:59 PM
    Yea but that keyboard is disgusting. It could drive my car for me, an I still would not use it because of that god aweful keyboard.
    Have you used one personally? It could be close to that of the existing Palms, but that's beside the point. Honestly, I don't know what the raves are about RIM keyboards. I didn't find the keyboard on my 8830 as perfect, I didn't find the keyboard on the 8330 as amazing, I don't think the keyboard on the Storm is revolutionary. Bottom line is, "I changed" my way of typing to match the keyboards on all these phones. Personally to me, synergy capabilities of an OS are much more important to me then something as basic as "what keyboard it uses". A Blackberry can have the best keyboard in the world, but the phone will suck if it cannot do the functions that you need it to do.
    04-05-09 02:06 PM
    Have you used one personally? It could be close to that of the existing Palms, but that's beside the point. Honestly, I don't know what the raves are about RIM keyboards. I didn't find the keyboard on my 8830 as perfect, I didn't find the keyboard on the 8330 as amazing, I don't think the keyboard on the Storm is revolutionary. Bottom line is, "I changed" my way of typing to match the keyboards on all these phones. Personally to me, synergy capabilities of an OS are much more important to me then something as basic as "what keyboard it uses". A Blackberry can have the best keyboard in the world, but the phone will suck if it cannot do the functions that you need it to do.
    You make a good point. I have used palms in the past. Not for long but I have used them. Its to compact. An I have never been a fan of sliders. So maybe I am a little biased.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-09 02:18 PM
    People use their handsets because nothing better is currently out, but year after year, better advancements are made in the mobile market.
    You are right on the point. It's funny to see all the peoples claiming to be loyal to one device and once they see another product, they switch. Why? Only because theres a new need for that product.
    04-05-09 02:19 PM
    You make a good point. I have used palms in the past. Not for long but I have used them. Its to compact. An I have never been a fan of sliders. So maybe I am a little biased.

Yeah, I don't like sliders either. One missing feature is an onscreen keyboard. The constant open/close would get annoying. Like I said, nothing is perfect.
    04-05-09 02:29 PM

The Pre isn't given nearly the credit it deserves for how much its going to change. In addition to what you said (which is true) the attention Palm has given to providing an uninterrupted user experience is big draw for me. With WebOS all the notifications appear as a "card" which slides up into a small portion of the screen. Even phone calls don't completely halt whatever task the user is currently working on. If WebOS runs as well as it does in the demos then I'm buying it as soon it hits VZW and my contract runs out.
    04-05-09 04:00 PM
    If the Pre was released on VZW today, I'd keep my Storm. I've had a hate-hate relationship with Palm's since the late 90's, briefly switched over again in 2004, and realized that I still hated Palm devices. I love my Storm...the only thing that could tear me away from my Storm, will be a Storm Version 2, with more App Memory, ability to use the SD Card to run programs, but that's really the only thing that I'd want. I guess I'm really addicted to Crackberries.
    04-05-09 04:23 PM
    I can't quote one specific person, but I give props to Palm for taking the time to truly think outside of the box and hopefully if they can release the Pre without any huge bugs, I think it'll be successful. The Web OS itself is a great touch. My storm doesn't do anything different to be honest compared to my 8830 from years back except the ability to finally browsing the web, a little faster, and have Web Kit.

If the Pre came to VZW, it wouldn't have wifi and they'll probably remove some things associated with it. Hopefully they don't lock GPS. Its just great to see such an awesome OS that builds upon itself. The more robust the OS, the less you need to rely on 3rd party software to replace or improve on the parts of the OS.

Sorry, just my .02
    04-05-09 07:33 PM
    If any carier would announce pre and gave me option of calling
    Vzw numbers free I'd switch in a hartbeat.
    Same goes for iphone or N95.

04-05-09 10:14 PM
    well verizon's open access policy should allow you to buy the phone at full retail from sprint and activate it on big red!
    04-05-09 10:20 PM
    If WebOS is half as capable as it promises to be, it'll be a great device.

Unfortunately, I too do not like sliders...
    04-05-09 10:40 PM
    It would be a tough decision but I would stick with the Storm because I prefer the SurePress over those smallllll keys on the Pre.

04-05-09 10:44 PM
    My storm doesn't do anything different to be honest compared to my 8830 from years back except the ability to finally browsing the web, a little faster, and have Web Kit.

actually the Storm doesn't utilize web kit. No BB's do for that matter.

04-05-09 10:53 PM
    ...that I did when I had AT&T when the iPhone came out. Nothing, just keep using my blackberry.
    04-05-09 11:01 PM
    Pre is going to make the Storm look like a dinosaur. The Pre is what the Storm should have been (less the keyboard)

Ah well too late now : )

04-05-09 11:21 PM
    I'm with Civic. If the PRE does what they're saying it will, it'll be amazing.
    04-06-09 10:38 AM
    I would buy it immediately. Palm has at least made an effort to show they are committed to climbing back up the ranks of the smart phone community.

RIM hasn't even updated us or given us a hint or even made it known they are specifically focusing on us (i.e. storm users). Instead they have been spewing out a bunch of identical phones with various stupid names. Maybe they can shift some of the funds out of their stupid smart phone naming department and shift them to the updating our current and growingly impatient storm users department.
    04-06-09 11:23 AM
    ^not just Storm owners ALL blackberry owners.

I said it a while back RIM had better step up their game big time, otherwise its bye bye.

If the release goes well (it appears it will) I'll snatch up the Pre in a heartbeat once its released on Verizons network. Would probobly, dare I say it, retire my Niagara.

04-06-09 11:39 AM
    ^not just Storm owners ALL blackberry owners.

I said it a while back RIM had better step up their game big time, otherwise its bye bye.

If the release goes well (it appears it will) I'll snatch up the Pre in a heartbeat once its released on Verizons network. Would probobly, dare I say it, retire my Niagara.

wait, you have a Niagara? or you mean in the future?
    04-06-09 01:32 PM
    At first I thought there would be no way Palm could come back, but I just watched some Pre videos on YouTube and wow. Amazing what this phone can do. I am jonesin bad. My Storm has been waiting for a decent software upgrade since dec. It's a glitchy mess. After seeing the Pre software in action I really hate my Storm!! I mean even when we do get good software, they're just gonna be like "look! now your phone doesn't rotate for no reason! We're geniuses!" What exactly do we pay the extra forty five bucks a month for? Bring me the Pre! Especially if it piggybacks off VZ's network anyway.
    04-06-09 07:14 PM
144 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD