I like my Storm, but it's rough around the edges for the multiple bugs I've experienced. I want to keep it and have faith in RIM, but if I don't see a big difference in the next software update, I think I'll be returning it. What about you?
    11-24-08 01:42 PM
    Jim could you list exactly what you yourself want to see improved? Some units are seemingly better than others, and not everyone have the same problems. That said, theres improvement in the higher builds.
    11-24-08 01:45 PM
    I like my Storm, but it's rough around the edges for the multiple bugs I've experienced. I want to keep it and have faith in RIM, but if I don't see a big difference in the next software update, I think I'll be returning it. What about you?
    Yes. It has a LOT of things going for it that other phones don't. Even with "problems" it has the best touchscreen of any verizon phone I've touched. With its popularity (and it IS popular), the app selection will be good. Also with its popularity, RIM and verizon will have plenty of motivation to keep the firmware updates rolling.

I don't want a qwerty BB, I would be happy with a Windows Mobile touchscreen phone but there are none yet that rival the Storm. Maybe the Samsung Omnia or the HTC touch pro (though that is too thick for me and the screen is smaller).

The phone works well as is. Future firmware updates will only improve that. It's easily the best phone I've owned and fits my needs fairly well.
    11-24-08 01:47 PM
    Is it possible that Verizon won't release the update until after the 30 days to minimize the return ratio of Storms?
    11-24-08 01:47 PM
    Jim could you list exactly what you yourself want to see improved? Some units are seemingly better than others, and not everyone have the same problems. That said, theres improvement in the higher builds.
    Sure, not listed in order of importance, and thanks for taking the time to listen (I'm not being sarcastic):

Standby mode like on the Curve (not just locking the screen)

When the screen is locked and I receive a call, about 50% of the time I can't answer because the hard buttons don't work, and the soft buttons don't either. Seems to happen because the phone goes into landscape mode while locked in my pocket.

Disable the accelerometer when the screen is locked (see above)

Red asterisk appears on the Messages icon even if there are no new messages, emails, vm, or anything else.

Allow the camera to know the orientation of the phone to produce pics in landscape or portrait mode.

Allow you to customize profiles individually with regards to LED, ringer, etc.

I'd like it to be a little quicker with regards to the accelerometer.

I'd like it to be able to play a movie in portrait mode or landscape mode (mine only works in landscape).

Like I said, most of these are not dealbreakers, but the top couple are pretty important to me. I like the phone, it's just not performing quite up to my standards.
    Last edited by DurangoJim; 11-24-08 at 03:59 PM.
    11-24-08 01:51 PM
    I'll still keep it, but I'll be sad.

I know they will continue to update it until it, at very least, is running smoothly
    11-24-08 01:53 PM
    Aside from that, I haven't had any glaring problems. And considering I didn't put the phone down on Saturday at all, one crash is acceptable to me.
    11-24-08 01:55 PM
    if you dissable the password locking and you just hit the lock button and hold it in it will put your phone in standby mode and you justh old it in to unlock it
    11-24-08 01:55 PM
    I think CX is right. Some devices seem buggier than others. I must've gotten lucky. Mine seems fine. Update or not - I'll be keeping mine. Jim - I can understand having certain things at the top of your list. I think the updates can address most of your concerns (if RIM noticed it).
    11-24-08 01:56 PM
    Mine is fine as well....no issues and I am keeping it. All the negative posts had me really worried before my Storm showed up this morning.
    11-24-08 01:59 PM
    Yes. It has a LOT of things going for it that other phones don't. Even with "problems" it has the best touchscreen of any verizon phone I've touched. With its popularity (and it IS popular), the app selection will be good. Also with its popularity, RIM and verizon will have plenty of motivation to keep the firmware updates rolling.

I don't want a qwerty BB, I would be happy with a Windows Mobile touchscreen phone but there are none yet that rival the Storm. Maybe the Samsung Omnia or the HTC touch pro (though that is too thick for me and the screen is smaller).

The phone works well as is. Future firmware updates will only improve that. It's easily the best phone I've owned and fits my needs fairly well.
    Apparently the Omnia is coming out this week on VZW.
    11-24-08 02:01 PM
    Disable the accelerometer when the screen is locked (see above)
    This would make the phone perfect for me!
    Jim in regards to your problems.

If you go into profiles and scroll down to set ringtones/alerts you can customize everything you need to. Please keep in mind that you need to be set on a specific profile in order to make changes on it. Atleast that is what I found.

Also, I seem to be having the same problem with the answering of calls but I am sure that they will fix this in future builds. It is most likely the accelerometer lag that is causing this.

Allow you to customize profiles individually with regards to LED, ringer, etc.
    I like your list, it's a good wishlist.

This particular item it already does though. You can create a custom profile and specify the ringer, vibrate, and LED individually for each alert. Unless I'm not understanding what you are looking for.
    11-24-08 02:02 PM
    I love the Storm and have not had any lagging or accelerometer issues aside from an occasional freeze if it rotates while locked.

My biggest issue is my Profiles.

The Profiles are really janky and inconsistent. For instance I set the vibrations to 5 and in and out of holster. Well it will only vibe once. Also I set my custom Profile and it reverted back to different settings.

Other than that Im problem free and loving it...BUT... if they do not fix the Profile issue in a update soon then I will return and wait till they improve it just a bit, but I really do think its an excellent phone.
    11-24-08 02:02 PM
    its a keeper! No complaints. Its fairly new, lets give it a chance!
    11-24-08 02:03 PM
    I am having very little issues with my storm. Runs quick, no lags or freezes (can always get better though), so YES definitely keeping it.
    11-24-08 02:04 PM
    if you dissable the password locking and you just hit the lock button and hold it in it will put your phone in standby mode and you justh old it in to unlock it
    I'm not sure that it's standby, as a tap or click of the screen, or other buttons will cause the screen to light up, and the accelerometer is still working during this (which is a waste of battery and uneccessary IMO).
    11-24-08 02:05 PM
    Jim in regards to your problems.

If you go into profiles and scroll down to set ringtones/alerts you can customize everything you need to. Please keep in mind that you need to be set on a specific profile in order to make changes on it. Atleast that is what I found.

Also, I seem to be having the same problem with the answering of calls but I am sure that they will fix this in future builds. It is most likely the accelerometer lag that is causing this.
    Not quite true, on my phone at least, if I change one profile, it changes them all. On my curve I could change each profile individually (normal wouldn't alert me audibly to email, loud would) on the Storm every profile (except vibrate) does the same thing when only one is changed.
    11-24-08 02:07 PM
    i am definitely keeping it. its faster right now than my moto Q was in a LOT of ways. sure the moto q didnt have to do screen orientations but I wouldnt trade this phone in even if certain "fixes" werent there :P
    11-24-08 02:09 PM
    I'd add slow camera speed to that list,. No way my kids will sit still for the time it takes this phone to snap a picture.
    11-24-08 02:22 PM
    I am stoked on my new storm, got it Friday and was a bit intimidated at first. Being as though it was my first blackberry i have had. I am totally happy with it, takes time to learn. However saturday and morning and twice today (Monday 11/24/2008) it has randomly crashed and rebooted taking an extremely long time. Called verizon and they told i can get a new one on friday. Anyone else have this problem?
    11-24-08 02:26 PM
    I'd add slow camera speed to that list,. No way my kids will sit still for the time it takes this phone to snap a picture.
    I believe the reason for this is that it is an autofocus camera. The fact that the lens is so small means there is very little light entering the sensor. Sensors detect contrast to focus and the more light the better. Unlike fixed focus lenses which are always in focus, this has to take time to focus the lens. Do a test and see if it takes pictures more quickly in brightly lit outdoors settings or average lit indoor rooms. There should be a difference.
    11-24-08 02:27 PM
    Not quite true, on my phone at least, if I change one profile, it changes them all. On my curve I could change each profile individually (normal wouldn't alert me audibly to email, loud would) on the Storm every profile (except vibrate) does the same thing when only one is changed.
    I think I see where the problem with this lies. I didn't really understand what people were saying because I didn't try to change any of the pre-built profiles on mine, I just created custom profiles to fit my needs. I think that it doesn't matter what profile you have selected, if you scroll down and click on "set ringtones/alerts" it will only change the NORMAL profile which WILL affect all the profiles since most have the setting "use normal settings" for a number of options.

The solution is to just use a custom profile if one of the pre-built ones doesn't fit your needs.
    11-24-08 02:31 PM
    Nah i'm going to return mine today. It's just not really what I was expecting and I can't justify spending $100 on a phone that looks good but works okay when I haave $22 plan on a curve that looks good and works good.. If the phone worked good I'd probably keep it
    11-24-08 02:37 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD