Ok so there doesnt seem to be any specific app we're running thats causing the batt drain.

Now im starting the suspect the bluetooth module; mine is always on cus of my car's handsfree system. Maybe .86 is overworking the bluetooth module with searching/pinging etc.

So out of the people with the .86 batt problem, who keeps their bluetooth on? or maybe a better question would be, who keeps it off?

Im gonna keep mine off today and see how it goes.

Well it seems like only a handful of us are having battery problems after .86.

Let see what all of us have in common by listing our apps?

Here are mine:

Weatherbug
    Slacker
    AutoLock
    Talklock
    Opera Mini
    Google Maps
    Viigo
    AP News
    Capture It
    Quick Pull
    YouTube
    and a buncha OEM baggage (AIM, Flickr, erc.)

Im suspecting AutoLock for now...Im gonna remove it and see if it makes any difference tommorow
    Last edited by phrehnck; 01-13-09 at 10:05 AM.
    01-13-09 02:42 AM
    I feel like weatherbug has given users nothing but trouble. I installed it on my frist Storm but didnt even bother installing it on my 2nd. Not much use to me really when a CPU is close to me most of the time, or at least the phone's browser that can give me my weather in 1 click.

Also: Should seem obvious, but make sure you leave your battery nice & charged so the lightning bolt goes away. Mine was well past lightning bolt when I woke up. It's now 3:45am and I have half of my battery left using .86 after a heavy day of calling, texting, and browsing.
    Last edited by LaRZo; 01-13-09 at 02:46 AM.
    01-13-09 02:44 AM
    phrehnck
    i think its device specific...mine is fine, i dont have googlemaps though cause bbmaps is on it already.
    take off the baggage as you say...if you don't use it, lose it!
    01-13-09 02:46 AM
    After installing .85 two weeks ago my batt was draining pretty fast. I uninstalled weatherbug and it fixed the problem. I now have .86 without weatherbug installed and still no problems. Too bad too, weatherbug is a nice app
    01-13-09 03:42 AM
    Got rid of weather bug and it still killed my battery, might go back down to .85. I was at 90% and I didn't charge it overnight and I woke up, completely dead. Only two e-mails throughout the night.
    01-13-09 06:54 AM
    I haven't had any problems with the .274 version of Weatherbug.
    01-13-09 06:57 AM
    Even without WB, my LED keeps blinking between green and red, no messages and good battery charge. I think that one of the main reason for horrible battery life. Going back down to .85 sometime today.
    01-13-09 06:59 AM
    My battery sucks now. with .85 i had like 3 days of use. now it dies after 1 day. WEAAAAK!
    01-13-09 07:03 AM
    .86 and slacker are my battery destroyers.
    .83 and.85 were a lot more thrifty with the battery than .86 seems to be.
    01-13-09 07:30 AM
    With .85 I could go about 30-40hrs w/o a charge depending on the number of emails/txt I got, with .86 I can go about 4-5hrs with no use, with web browsing I can go about 2hrs w/o a charge. My apps are:
    AIM
    AP News
    Facebook
    Flycast
    Gmail
    Google Maps
    Google Sync
    Google Talk
    Slacker Mobile
    WeatherBug
    TinyTwitter
    TwitterBerry
    XBerryLive
    01-13-09 07:40 AM
    It is totally killing mine. Can't even make it a full day anymore.
    01-13-09 07:55 AM
    Just getting the list of apps I have installed ate up about 15% of my battery.
    01-13-09 08:29 AM
    I had some issues yesterday, but assumed it was because I was doing a lot of bat. pulls and such while installing etc. Just in case here's what i'm running

AIM
    Gtalk
    YIM
    vibandring
    gsync
    talklock
    weatherbug ( I just un-installed, perhaps that will help)
    Myspace
    facebook

I did notice that after 10 hours charging last night I still only got up to 95% charge this morning.
    01-13-09 08:42 AM
    So far so good for me. I've been off the charger for an hour and I've had several phone calls, texts, and emails and my battery still reads 100%. I don't have many Apps installed though because at this point I don't feel the need to have all that garbage.

I have...

BBLight
    SoftReset (same as QuickPull but I like Soft Reset better)
    Google Maps
    BBMaps
    AIM
    Yahoo
    AutoLock

I used to spend the whole day at work recieving and placing calls, texts, and emails and browsing and the battery would only be down to about 85% by the time I got home at about 6PM Well see how it goes today. (.86 Day 1)
    01-13-09 08:47 AM
    First day with .86 and a fresh charge this morning and unplug at 7am, radio and gps off since 7:30 and in lock mode while I am at work, down to 70% by 10am.

slacker (first day with this)
    opera
    garmin
    facebook
    flickr
    aim
    yahoo
    weatherbug
    viigo
    soft reset

On .75 I could go days with GPS and radio off in lock mode with virtually no loss in power. I have deleted slacker to see if that is the problem. The rest of the apps I have had on there before the upgrade to .86. This really sucks if it's .86 because it's such a better OS than .75 completely.
    01-13-09 09:17 AM
    Just deleted slacker and it hung up on restart, I pressed the call end button and it brought up the OS. Did a soft reset and hung up again. The battery dropped from 70% to 60% in those two actions. I am going back to .75.
    01-13-09 09:34 AM
    baterry pulls will also kill your battery. it takes a lot of battery power to load back up.
    01-13-09 09:35 AM
    i have stormlock.. Thats the ONLY third party app i have
    My battery as well drains rather quickly on .86
    It would last me 2,3 days on .85 and now i'm lucky if i get a full day.
    01-13-09 09:38 AM
    i have stormlock.. Thats the ONLY third party app i have
    My battery as well drains rather quickly on .86
    It would last me 2,3 days on .85 and now i'm lucky if i get a full day.
    Several people in my firm are reporting the same thing. Did you have this issue on .75 or .76?
    01-13-09 10:06 AM
    I have noticed some decreased battery life with .86 compared to the .76 I was running before. Last night I let it drain completely down to 0% and am letting it charge all the way today.
    01-13-09 10:14 AM
    When I was on .85 I had great battery life. After a normal days use under .85 I'd be halfway on battery life. When I switched to .86 I was in the red before I even got home. My bluetooth hasn't been on since the upgrade and the only app I'm running is vymail. So I'm not sure. Its bittersweet....I love the browser speed...but that is it with .86. But like a previous poster said on another thread this one may fix some issue but create new ones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-09 10:15 AM
    That's why these are NOT official releases. In the IT world you set milestones in projects. Those milestones have certain updates/fixes. Once the milestone requirements are met, they slap a new OS build number on it and then throw it over to their internal QC department for testing. If they find more issues (like the LED issue in .86) they document it for the next milestone. That is why whenever an OS is LEAKED (keyword here), they tell you to install at your own risk. Once they feel comfortable enough to put their name on it then they'll officially release it.
    01-13-09 10:32 AM
    What does everyone have their screen brightness set to. Mine defaulted back to a 100 percent after installing the update.
    01-13-09 10:49 AM
    I had horrible battery life from the day I purchased my storm. I would not make it through to the end of the day without a charge.

Then, I put .85 on and it fixed my battery problem. I don't run anything really on my phone other than the standard and vvm. I don't use bluetooth. I have deleted all of the apps (gps, etc) that I don't use.

Yesterday my battery life was horrible after I had put .86 on my phone. I'm trying it out today to see how the battery does without any dowloading, batt pulls, etc. If it isn't as good as it was before, I'm going back to .85. I'd rather have battery life than the few tweaks that were made for .86.

I am glad to see my phone wasn't the only one affected in terms of battery life when switching to .86 from .85.
    01-13-09 11:22 AM
    What does everyone have their screen brightness set to. Mine defaulted back to a 100 percent after installing the update.
    I have mine set to 10%. It stayed at 10% after I restored.

I can't really tell if I'm having the same battery issues. My battery seems low but I think its because my screen stayed on all night and did not go off. Did a batt pull this am, and the screen is going off like its supposed to. I'm purposely running the battery down now and will do a full charge and will post back.
    01-13-09 11:24 AM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD