05-20-09 06:03 PM
399 ... 141516
tools
    I've seen this mentioned in the thread but not sure ever saw explanation to the problem.

It's apparent that some of the current applications won't be compatible with 5.0 while some are, do vendors get latest builds from carriers while they are testing or do they have to wait until something is leaked / official before they can begin to rewrite code to make it work for the new OS?

Just curious on how this works
    05-19-09 07:30 AM
    see i dont get the problem with the apps not working. i though OS 5.0 was supposed to be like PS1, PS2, & PS3 for the lack of a better comparo, where you can use the games from any of the the two previous versions of the system oh well guess they arent done yet......
    05-19-09 08:23 AM
    I've seen this mentioned in the thread but not sure ever saw explanation to the problem.

It's apparent that some of the current applications won't be compatible with 5.0 while some are, do vendors get latest builds from carriers while they are testing or do they have to wait until something is leaked / official before they can begin to rewrite code to make it work for the new OS?

Just curious on how this works
    Developers have to wait just like the rest of us. Otherwise the latest OS's that are released to the partners would be leaked out regularly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-09 09:42 AM
    see i dont get the problem with the apps not working. i though OS 5.0 was supposed to be like PS1, PS2, & PS3 for the lack of a better comparo, where you can use the games from any of the the two previous versions of the system oh well guess they arent done yet......
    If RIM sticks to their regular habits on this then yes the builds will be backwards compatable as far as apps are concerned. Before anyone tries to mention the issue with quicklaunch that is a bug in the .141 OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-09 09:45 AM
    Now I dont work for VZ, but I assume that since all dumbphones need to restart after *228, why not a BlackBerry? So technically, in my eyes, thats not a bug.

But if you knew you were OT, then dont post it in this thread.

Lets get it back on.
    Incorrect, see below response which is 100% on target.

LOL! Most dumbphones don't need a restart after *228, and if they do they either a.) restart themselves or b.) reset the radio only and come back with the new PRL. It may not be seen as a "bug" but it is an additional step in the flow chart and when you have trained monkeys at the counter, the last thing they need is deviation from the norm.

And you get back on it!
    Exactly. Any CDMA phone that requires a restart after a radio reprogram, WILL RESTART ITSELF. Doesn't matter what VZW docs say or what the automated attendant "may mention" during the hold, if it needs a restart, it'll do it itself. There's no arguing with this process.

That's what I keep saying about the *228 bug; however; it seems like a battery pull is WAY too much work for some of the folks who frequent these forums. There are folks on here (whom I will not name as I cannot remember precisely whom) who think that the *228 thing is a more significant bug than the unlocking problem.
    See above and then ask yourself this. If up until .132 and .141, you didn't need to restart after a *228 and then all of a sudden you do now, why do you believe that this does not constitute as a bug? For argument sake, why doesn't ANY other CDMA Blackberry on VZW or another carrier require this restart either? Why, if this is not a bug, does the phone still indicate that DATA is still available, but not pass any packets. And why is it that in certain situations, the event log indicates an issue with opening the tunnels for data when this happens? It is a bug... plain and simple.
    05-19-09 10:48 AM
    patience my friends
    05-19-09 10:55 AM
    True. It was really weird when I installed .141 and noticed my data was gone for awhile. Never happened to me before. Took me awhile to figure out I had to do a battery pull to fix the problem. Hopefully this won't be a recurrence with the upcoming builds.
    05-19-09 10:56 AM
    Incorrect, see below response which is 100% on target.

Exactly. Any CDMA phone that requires a restart after a radio reprogram, WILL RESTART ITSELF. Doesn't matter what VZW docs say or what the automated attendant "may mention" during the hold, if it needs a restart, it'll do it itself. There's no arguing with this process.

See above and then ask yourself this. If up until .132 and .141, you didn't need to restart after a *228 and then all of a sudden you do now, why do you believe that this does not constitute as a bug? For argument sake, why doesn't ANY other CDMA Blackberry on VZW or another carrier require this restart either? Why, if this is not a bug, does the phone still indicate that DATA is still available, but not pass any packets. And why is it that in certain situations, the event log indicates an issue with opening the tunnels for data when this happens? It is a bug... plain and simple.
    I NEVER said it wasn't a bug. I stated that it wasn't a SIGNIFICANT bug compared to the unlocking bug. I can live with a battery pull after a PRL update, I CANNOT live with a phone that won't stay locked 99% of the time.

And I honestly believe that these things we're calling bugs cannot actually be called bugs, since the OS shouldn't be on our devices to begin with, and without release notes WE have no way of knowing if these 'bugs' are actually intended.
    Last edited by Dave12308; 05-19-09 at 11:02 AM.
    05-19-09 10:59 AM
    Folks, 141 failed VZW testing. We know that to be true. I don't beleive we know at what stage it failed, or exactly why. My Personal Resources indicate that all the OS builds VZW has received from RIM have been really slow as far as back end is concerned. Not sure what that exactly means, or how valid that is, but that is what I have been told. The point is that since 141 failed, why do we care if restart after *228 is a bug or not. Point is that VZW should be testing something new, whether Higher Build of 4.7 or something in 5.0 and we all just have to wait and see what they do.

Personally I am on 4.7.0.75 (Which is functional for me as a Corporate and personal User) and disappointed that it has taken 2 major companies this long to produce a viable update for 3rd best selling smart phone on the market. I understand a lot of why that may be, but I think there is a lack of dedication to resolving the issues and getting it done.
    05-19-09 11:04 AM
    I NEVER said it wasn't a bug. I stated that it wasn't a SIGNIFICANT bug compared to the unlocking bug. I can live with a battery pull after a PRL update, I CANNOT live with a phone that won't stay locked 99% of the time.

And I honestly believe that these things we're calling bugs cannot actually be called bugs, since the OS shouldn't be on our devices to begin with, and without release notes WE have no way of knowing if these 'bugs' are actually intended.
    If they were intended, you would have seen a release of an OS by now from VZW. You'll need to trust in the fact that there are several issues that were being overlooked for a while because the testing scripts that the carriers are using didn't depict certain conditions or processes to look for. Like patches said... there's a much better chance something will be cought in everyday agent testing then in lab testing. The fact simply remains that in the normal produtive world, we sometimes come upon certain conditions that are needed or met in order to bring such bugs to the surface. The important thing that needs to happen is that when such a condition and bug is met, that said things are sent to the lab geeks to add to their testing scripts so that the next time around, these bugs in these conditions can be cought earlier in the test process rather then later, so that they don't have to waste time testing it any further when a failure is found, they can go to the next release. These issues MUST also be escalated to RIM to resolve because if they let it slide in the release, chances are good that multiple releases after the initial one would also have this bug. For example .132 had the *228 and then .141 still had it. I can't tell you how many releases it took to find it, but having this bug overlooked in .132-.141 at least shows that attention to detail is not being met.

"Attention to detail"... it's what separates the women from the men.
    05-19-09 11:11 AM
    I stated that it wasn't a SIGNIFICANT bug compared to the unlocking bug.
    Considering the number of "My browser disappeared!" posts that pop up here, I could only imagine the insane amount of calls they would get when people discovered their data was broken.
    05-19-09 11:19 AM

Oh THAT's the issue. Maybe RIM should be run by women.
    05-19-09 11:19 AM
    And here I was thinking it was the archway from the kitchen to the living room.

*hides*

Seriously, it is a bit shocking that some of these bugs are STILL not fixed. Even the programmers in my company manage to fix recurring issues like that and we're quite small.
    05-19-09 11:22 AM
    Considering the number of "My browser disappeared!" posts that pop up here, I could only imagine the insane amount of calls they would get when people discovered their data was broken.
    Yeah that would be terrible if they couldn't find out how to fix it themselves. Even I was getting pretty impatient and I'm pretty tech savvy.
    05-19-09 11:22 AM

Oh THAT's the issue. Maybe RIM should be run by women.
    No, it's just that sometimes a different viewpoint is all that's needed to find the flaws. If a beauty walks into a room full of men, they can probably all tell you how big her boobs were, but they couldn't tell you the color of her lipstick or type of shoes she had on. A woman would notice the little details and "some" would notice ALL the details.
    05-19-09 11:28 AM
    Haha let's not get off topic but I was being sarcastic. But there's truth behind what you're saying.

Dunno if a room with a a big boobed girl can be related to a bunch of techies testing out a device for bugs though haha. Some things might be more distracting than others.
    05-19-09 11:33 AM
    No, it's just that sometimes a different viewpoint is all that's needed to find the flaws. If a beauty walks into a room full of men, they can probably all tell you how big her boobs were, but they couldn't tell you the color of her lipstick or type of shoes she had on. A woman would notice the little details and "some" would notice ALL the details.
    Being as it is, it sounds like it isn't true but in the end, this is completely true lol.
    I find flaws though. The screen picture flaw you found in your thread that you took a picture of Civic i found out before you, I just never posted about it because it really didn't bother me to have a choppy home screen with a keyboard, because when you scroll up on mine it reverts itself back to normal until you scroll back down.

And that's another mini bug that 5.0 should fix up.
    05-19-09 12:14 PM
    Being as it is, it sounds like it isn't true but in the end, this is completely true lol.
    I find flaws though. The screen picture flaw you found in your thread that you took a picture of Civic i found out before you, I just never posted about it because it really didn't bother me to have a choppy home screen with a keyboard, because when you scroll up on mine it reverts itself back to normal until you scroll back down.

And that's another mini bug that 5.0 should fix up.
    You should mention stuff like that next time. The more stuff we can find, the better the products will be in the long run. That's what the scope of this community should be.
    05-19-09 12:23 PM
    You should mention stuff like that next time. The more stuff we can find, the better the products will be in the long run. That's what the scope of this community should be.
    Yes, I know. The funny thing is I didn't know how to really explain how it was caused and I couldn't find CaptureIt at the time. I suppose I could've taken a picture but it might have turned out bad, but the bug really isn't too severe.

Even then, it's found now. I haven't found much on .141, but i was finding things everywhere on .122 and sometimes .132. I had a thread as well about .122 long term bugs. It seems more bugs come up after about a 2 week period, and more threads come up as well about them.
    Initnial (sp) findings are almost always different after 2 weeks, then the stuff gets worse.
    05-19-09 12:27 PM
    I think that's because the "new" wears off the version and you start to "notice" more stuff then before. I've never had an OS be worse weeks later then when I initially installed it. For me they always behave the same throughout. Whatever issues I had within the first few minutes to an hour are the same I'll have 2 weeks from then.
    05-19-09 12:31 PM
    Well your partially right, because throughout the first week of .141, Media issues really never popped up and for some reason I didn't get the lock issue.
    I use media player -- music everyday, so I noticed when the music started to no longer play after it went on to the next track within a week of using the OS.

Other then that, the other things, your probably right. Everyone said the browser was blazing speed, but now when I loaded it, I had that for 20 minutes? Then i could never get the browser to work properly then. Sometimes i'll double click it to get those data arrows moving right. .141 is nice, its fast like .90, and without VSOD, but bugs like the media things show up.

Seems like everytime you get a build like .90 such as .141 media things get really messed up sometimes. Remember when .90 would not allow playing some songs or be really choppy? Heh.
    05-19-09 12:37 PM
    Women have lips? And feet?
    Last edited by bigman2; 05-19-09 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Sorry, couldn't resist... And yes, I fully expect to get smacked
    05-19-09 01:34 PM
    Folks, 141 failed VZW testing. We know that to be true. I don't beleive we know at what stage it failed, or exactly why. My Personal Resources indicate that all the OS builds VZW has received from RIM have been really slow as far as back end is concerned. Not sure what that exactly means, or how valid that is, but that is what I have been told. The point is that since 141 failed, why do we care if restart after *228 is a bug or not. Point is that VZW should be testing something new, whether Higher Build of 4.7 or something in 5.0 and we all just have to wait and see what they do.

Personally I am on 4.7.0.75 (Which is functional for me as a Corporate and personal User) and disappointed that it has taken 2 major companies this long to produce a viable update for 3rd best selling smart phone on the market. I understand a lot of why that may be, but I think there is a lack of dedication to resolving the issues and getting it done.

failed at friendly user testing for tethering and *228 issues...c'mon, noobie! get my RSS feed! or go ask patches!
    05-19-09 01:42 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love women, but I don't believe this. More than attention to detail separates us
    05-20-09 06:03 PM
399 ... 141516
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD