I'm not arguing with you Patches, big fan of your posts, but since RIM has been doing this for quite some time, why is it a lesson they will learn? Shouldn't this been learned years ago?

How did older BB models handle applications and memory? I understand the apps of today are more cpu and memory intensive but as things progress they should have realized more memory is better before now.
    in the corporate world there weren't many people storing apps and saving media on the device, etc. the app memory requirements for the consumer apps and "functional business user" apps are a huge draw on resources.

and i think someone stated somewhere else that if your phone works fine with 40mb of free space, then 256mb is unnecessary, and can draw too much battery power.

there is a fine line that these devices are balancing on with the push of the industry to include more on the phone, faster, more, better, etc...i feel that the issue should be efficent use of what you have, not add more to the pot. you CAN have too much memory, it'll start robbing battery life.
    05-18-09 07:33 PM
    Becuz tha storm succs!!! and it always will!!! HAHA...
    awesome, dude.
    05-18-09 07:33 PM
    I don't think all RIM cared about was memory on the Storm. I think there was more to it than just that. And what software are you talking about 4.7.1 or 5.0?
    Yeah, I was referring to 5.0. It's been said that the 9630 will launch with it and it's looking to be officially released for the Storm around the same time.
    05-18-09 07:36 PM
    in the corporate world there weren't many people storing apps and saving media on the device, etc. the app memory requirements for the consumer apps and "functional business user" apps are a huge draw on resources.

and i think someone stated somewhere else that if your phone works fine with 40mb of free space, then 256mb is unnecessary, and can draw too much battery power.

there is a fine line that these devices are balancing on with the push of the industry to include more on the phone, faster, more, better, etc...i feel that the issue should be efficent use of what you have, not add more to the pot. you CAN have too much memory, it'll start robbing battery life.
    Right, I understand that. But if the battery life is so important, why is there so much more free memory for the 9630? Aren't they concerned with battery life? I'm sure extensive testing has been done to make it as efficient as possible. Also, I do realize the Storm's screen is much larger and probably takes more battery life there. There's a lot of trade-offs involved for all devices.

Either way, if the future 5.0 builds are better on stopping memory leaks and the OS runs faster, I won't have a problem. I just don't want to have to keep doing battery pulls all the time.
    05-18-09 07:38 PM
    That makes sense! So it's a give and take for the devices, if you want speed and stability along with some apps there must be a limit of what memory is available for those.

I come from the PC world and don't think about memory causing a problem, but you've made it clearer in the phone world of things. Thx!
    05-18-09 07:39 PM
    Yeah, I was referring to 5.0. It's been said that the 9630 will launch with it and it's looking to be officially released for the Storm around the same time.
    This is not fully decided on yet. Its looking more and more likely though, id put it at 95%.
    Things are always being worked on. The 9630 will become a flagship for VZ though, mainly because their largest customers, smartphone wise, are corporate users. But, RIM is and will always be working on the Storm, for quite a few years. Dont worry
    I guess it makes sense if the 9630 is the flagship.

How is 5.0 coming along for the Storm by the way? Can you say anything new on it's current progress?
    Right, I understand that. But if the battery life is so important, why is there so much more free memory for the 9630? Aren't they concerned with battery life? I'm sure extensive testing has been done to make it as efficient as possible. Also, I do realize the Storm's screen is much larger and probably takes more battery life there. There's a lot of trade-offs involved for all devices.

Either way, if the future 5.0 builds are better on stopping memory leaks and the OS runs faster, I won't have a problem. I just don't want to have to keep doing battery pulls all the time.
    You made one of the best points in bold
    05-18-09 07:40 PM
    This is not fully decided on yet. Its looking more and more likely though, id put it at 95%.
    That's a pretty good chance. So I'm sure it's close but not where the carriers want it yet. Hopefully, it wont be the same pattern as the Bold and Storm when they were being released right?

It must be pretty hectic to release these devices in conjunction with so many carriers. The software needs to be right otherwise there will be set backs and things of that sort. Wasn't the Bold delayed months before finally being released?
    05-18-09 07:44 PM
    I personally like my storm but have one problem. If that problem was fixed I could handle all the little things.
    05-18-09 07:51 PM
    LOL, what's that?
    05-18-09 07:53 PM
    That makes sense! So it's a give and take for the devices, if you want speed and stability along with some apps there must be a limit of what memory is available for those.

I come from the PC world and don't think about memory causing a problem, but you've made it clearer in the phone world of things. Thx!
    i had to think and look back to see if you were responding to my post, lol!

you're welcome. i <3 helping people, what can i say?
    05-18-09 07:55 PM
    I personally like my storm but have one problem. If that problem was fixed I could handle all the little things.
    care to share with the rest of the class?
    05-18-09 07:56 PM
    That's a pretty good chance. So I'm sure it's close but not where the carriers want it yet. Hopefully, it wont be the same pattern as the Bold and Storm when they were being released right?

It must be pretty hectic to release these devices in conjunction with so many carriers. The software needs to be right otherwise there will be set backs and things of that sort. Wasn't the Bold delayed months before finally being released?
    For ATT yes. It was available overseas months before ATT.
    05-18-09 08:05 PM
    At this point I have given up on seeing a new OS on verizon soon. I am hoping that either Telus or Bell make it happen with a 5.0 release. Seems to be our only hope.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 08:07 PM
    At this point I have given up on seeing a new OS on verizon soon. I am hoping that either Telus or Bell make it happen with a 5.0 release. Seems to be our only hope.

i'm losing hope in getting one SOON, but there will be one eventually. however, VZW might not be the first carrier to release a 5.0 build for the 9530...
    05-18-09 08:08 PM

Look how well .75 performs. In reality, when you get rid of some of the expectations that some people have, it works just fine! And thats a testament to how much testing they did to get .75 out there. Look at how old that build is today, yet works fine.

Dont count them out so soon. Just remember, they are testing as much as they do, for your well being as a customer. If they find a reason to fail a build, theres a reason.
    05-18-09 08:09 PM
    Not one carrier has released an official 5.0 OS yet for ANY device. Part of me doubts the 9530/9500 will be the first. I would think the Curve/Bold would be seeing as how they've been leaking pics/videos/OSs for them already.

But then again, several partners have 5.0 for the Storm too so I could be wrong.
    05-18-09 08:11 PM
    if there was never a leak how far would thes forums actually go. I dont think that .75 is really that bad and yes i would like a newer os but i would rather have something that works all the time instead of speed and bugs .
    05-18-09 08:14 PM
    I am happy about verizon taking their time testing. It is for all of our benefits. Certainly not complaining. But I can still hope that another carrier is less strict with their testing and we get to benefit from that.

05-18-09 08:20 PM
    if there was never a leak how far would thes forums actually go. I dont think that .75 is really that bad and yes i would like a newer os but i would rather have something that works all the time instead of speed and bugs .
    There has been plenty of official updates, so I dont see any reason this forum would be any less busy then it is.
    05-18-09 08:21 PM
    I am happy about verizon taking their time testing. It is for all of our benefits. Certainly not complaining. But I can still hope that another carrier is less strict with their testing and we get to benefit from that.

Oh absolutely, I agree with you. Just wanted to point out that sometimes very strict testing is a good thing!

5.0 is there, its being tested.
    05-18-09 08:22 PM
    I don't mean to question anyone but I don't think rim did that much testing to .75 since it was released so quickly after the device was released. If they followed the same guidelines they are now, it would not have been released at all. It does ok but look at the bug list it has with the constant resets and the custom ringtones sounding no matter what profile you have it on. Surely that would have failed the build by the standards they are using now?
    05-18-09 08:27 PM
    I don't mean to question anyone but I don't think rim did that much testing to .75 since it was released so quickly after the device was released. If they followed the same guidelines they are now, it would not have been released at all. It does ok but look at the bug list it has with the constant resets and the custom ringtones sounding no matter what profile you have it on. Surely that would have failed the build by the standards they are using now?
    He has a good point. I agree. Yeah, it was stable but still had issues like what he described. Haven't used it in awhile, but doesn't it have more of a memory leak too?
    05-18-09 08:29 PM
    VZW had .75 in testing when they released the storm, they had to launch on .65 since it was the last one to pass before their release date they were shooting for.

and yes, .75 has its issues. the sacrifice they have to make to get the phone out for the holidays.

and i have a phrase for you to consider....

"service impacting issues"....

that is what VZW takes priority over when its testing. as long as its not preventing you from using the basic functions of the phone and keeping you from using the services you pay them for, it'll be a "decent" build....
    05-18-09 08:31 PM
399 ... 1213141516
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD