zomfg how come telus and bell haven't had an official upgrade with 5.0 yet??? they're dropping the storm support for the new storm 2. you'll all be left stuck with the thing and have to buy the new one full price when it comes out in two weeks!
    05-18-09 06:11 PM
    Oh, have they now??
    I'm 99.99 percent sure that Voda has had some 5.0 builds a bit longer. Granted, thats for the 9500.
    05-18-09 06:11 PM
    Hmmm 9630 idling at 111mb? Wtf. Where have I been? Why isn't the storm anywhere near that?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 06:20 PM
    Hmmm 9630 idling at 111mb? Wtf. Where have I been? Why isn't the storm anywhere near that?
    Yup.
    05-18-09 06:21 PM
    zomfg how come telus and bell haven't had an official upgrade with 5.0 yet??? they're dropping the storm support for the new storm 2. you'll all be left stuck with the thing and have to buy the new one full price when it comes out in two weeks!
    I better start saving my pennies now!! Wonder if they'll release this one with 5.0? Since some have it (I believe).
    05-18-09 06:28 PM

The 9630 has 256Meg of memory, before the OS install. Same as the Jav. Going forward, this is the lowest memory you will see. Other units are being tested with 512Meg, and higher to follow.
    05-18-09 06:36 PM
    id say youre right on. ive seen so many posts here where somebody has asked for help and the first thing they say is the storm is their first bb and thats cool but i believe they were wanting an iphone interface with bb functionality. i think thats another reason for a lot of complaints. ive been using a bb since 7100 series and i agree that they have always improved. while there are some things i would like to see improve i still would take my 9530 with its not as smooth scrolling and little fixable issues over something that cant multi task and what not.

As far as 5.0 goes, im trying not to have any expectations. the only feature im looking forward to is being able to use the media card for apps. other than that, whatever they wanna do is cool. i figure wiyh this mindset theres no real let down.
    wow that is some of the best advice i have seen posted any where! it truly is our expectations that let us down! this is my first 'smartphone' let alone a BB, and yea its a little buggy the touch screen can be a pain. but this is still by far the most intelligent little device i have ever owned and i love it! from my stand point there is nothing to complain about! yet!

and yes if it takes them longer to make 5.x.x.x the absolute best they can, so be it! (i have a two year contract anyway!) so i got the time.
    05-18-09 06:37 PM

we'd have to remove the phone AND email modules as well as the rest of the stuff we shrink out to get that much free space
    05-18-09 06:37 PM
    we'd have to remove the phone AND email modules as well as the rest of the stuff we shrink out to get that much free space
    For the Storm being RIM's media phone, we don't really have that much memory..... Highest I can see us having is somewhere between 60-70 mb since our application memory's only at 128mb am I right? Is that just software related? Cuz I thought our internal memory is 1GB.

Can the software somehow change the amount of memory that is alloted to application memory?
    05-18-09 06:42 PM
    there was a thread about hardware capabilities and what would it take to unlock the memory, lemme find the link. i'll PM it to you.
    05-18-09 06:51 PM
    Alright thanks man.
    05-18-09 06:58 PM
    just in case anyone else is interested, here is the link...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/su...memory-226275/
    05-18-09 07:00 PM
    Ok after skimming through that link BRIEFLY (like 1 min) I discovered that people are saying RIM may have set the ratio of available APP memory (128 MB) to the total internal memory (1 GB). Increasing the APP memory to say 256 MB may lead to a lower battery life.

So RIM can possibly change this then right? If they made it this way and there are no hardware limitations to prevent this from happening then what's the problem? Do they not want to do it?
    05-18-09 07:05 PM
    seems that way. sooks and i had a discussion about "potential vs. productive" on BBM the other day. he was talking about app memory, the graphics accelerator, etc...the point i brought up was that RIM doesn't do stuff just to do it. same with VZW. they're such a large company, and costs being what they are, the amount of time and effort it would take to write code to prevent stuff like this, there has to be a logical reason why they would limit this stuff. performance seems to be the reason so far.

a car with higher HP = lower gas mileage, usually. same concept applies here as well i would suppose.
    05-18-09 07:11 PM
    a car with higher HP = lower gas mileage, usually. same concept applies here as well i would suppose.
    Right but what's the point of giving the 9630 more memory than the 9530? The 9530 is more of the media BB and with App World, it's going to need more memory to run smoothly with all the apps that will be downloaded. I know some of you will say the Storm runs fine with these things. But with things like memory leaks and more applications coming out, having 128 mb of app memory would be ideal.

I know the situation will get better with more efficient software though so that's good.
    05-18-09 07:14 PM
    Right but what's the point of giving the 9630 more memory than the 9530? The 9530 is more of the media BB and with App World, it's going to need more memory to run smoothly with all the apps that will be downloaded. I know some of you will say the Storm runs fine with these things. But with things like memory leaks and more applications coming out, having 128 mb of app memory would be ideal.

I know the situation will get better with more efficient software though so that's good.

we won't know until we have the 9630 specs to see what is included, or if we get the new software to try ourselves to figure it out.

i think more app memory will be something that all future devices will have on board. RIM will learn some lessons from the storm.
    05-18-09 07:16 PM

The Storm will be over 3/4's of a year old once the 9630 is released dont forget. Things change quickly in this industry in just that time span.
    05-18-09 07:21 PM
    we won't know until we have the 9630 specs to see what is included, or if we get the new software to try ourselves to figure it out.

i think more app memory will be something that all future devices will have on board. RIM will learn some lessons from the storm.
    While they learn these lessons, we'll be stuck with our Storms idling at 30mb of memory lol. I will be VERY happy if they can increase the ratio of app memory/internal memory.

If the Tour has 1 GB of internal memory it's using about 10-11% of that for app memory while the Storm is using about 5-6%. Maybe if the Storm can get bumped to about the same? That would be awesome.
    05-18-09 07:21 PM

I'm not arguing with you Patches, big fan of your posts, but since RIM has been doing this for quite some time, why is it a lesson they will learn? Shouldn't this been learned years ago?

How did older BB models handle applications and memory? I understand the apps of today are more cpu and memory intensive but as things progress they should have realized more memory is better before now.
    05-18-09 07:23 PM
    While they learn these lessons, we'll be stuck with our Storms idling at 30mb of memory lol. I will be VERY happy if they can increase the ratio of app memory/internal memory.

If the Tour has 1 GB of internal memory it's using about 10-11% of that for app memory while the Storm is using about 5-6%. Maybe if the Storm can get bumped to about the same? That would be awesome.
    The 9630 has 256Meg of memory, for use of both the OS and App's.
    05-18-09 07:23 PM
    The Storm will be over 3/4's of a year old once the 9630 is released dont forget. Things change quickly in this industry in just that time span.
    I understand but with the software of the Storm expanding and with the app world releasing new applications, it never even had a chance to hit it's potential. Plus it will be running the same software version as the Tour. It should be somewhere close in performance unless RIM wants it to be a powerhouse compared to the Storm.

It should have the potential to have more memory right? What's the problem?
    05-18-09 07:24 PM
    The 9630 has 256Meg of memory, for use of both the OS and App's.
    Oh alright, I didn't know that. So that's MUCH less internal storage than the Storm. It makes sense though since it's not really as much of a media phone as the Storm seems to be with the large screen and all.
    05-18-09 07:26 PM
    Becuz tha storm succs!!! and it always will!!! HAHA...
    05-18-09 07:30 PM
    I understand but with the software of the Storm expanding and with the app world releasing new applications, it never even had a chance to hit it's potential. Plus it will be running the same software version as the Tour. It should be somewhere close in performance unless RIM wants it to be a powerhouse compared to the Storm.

I don't think all RIM cared about was memory on the Storm. I think there was more to it than just that. And what software are you talking about 4.7.1 or 5.0?

Oh alright, I didn't know that. So that's MUCH less internal storage than the Storm. It makes sense though since it's not really as much of a media phone as the Storm seems to be with the large screen and all.
    Yup, Storm is for more consumer personal type device, while the Tour is more business type.
    05-18-09 07:30 PM

Things are always being worked on. The 9630 will become a flagship for VZ though, mainly because their largest customers, smartphone wise, are corporate users. But, RIM is and will always be working on the Storm, for quite a few years. Dont worry
    05-18-09 07:32 PM
399 ... 1112131415 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD