View Poll Results: Orientation Lock good idea

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

78 92.86%
  • No

6 7.14%
    I was thinking about this the other day and was wondering if anyone else think this should be a feature they should add. I sometimes am laying in bed and texting or browsing the internet and the phone constantly is flipping orientation.
    02-09-09 05:01 AM
    Totally agree. I was thinkin that the other day too. How strange.

When I'm in bed I have to flip the phone so the blackberry logo(top of the phone) is always at the bottom

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-09-09 05:06 AM
    Yeah! Good one! I already looked into the APIs to see if it is possible to develop but unfortunately it is not! :-(
    02-09-09 05:11 AM
    Yeah! Good one! I already looked into the APIs to see if it is possible to develop but unfortunately it is not! :-(
    So there is no way of doing this unless blackberry adds it in a update basically.
    02-09-09 05:17 AM
    I hope we get it. I love the accelerometer, but sometimes it's annoying as frak. It's just not something that's nessesary 100% of the time.

If RIM added it to an OS update it would be awesome. They should make it part of the programable options IE; I could program orientation lock/unlock to the convienience keys. That'd be rad.
    Last edited by Thomas271973; 02-09-09 at 05:30 AM.
    02-09-09 05:28 AM
    I'd love for it to be an option to turn it off when I don't need it. Other than when I'm web browsing or watching a movie, I hardly ever use landscape mode. So for me it would be a nice option to have.
    02-09-09 05:41 AM
    I voted no. I think its fine as is. If i want to switch i simply rotate the phone. I dont see an issue with how it works now.
    02-09-09 07:08 AM
    I, for one, think it is useless to have the Home Screen change orientation...
    02-09-09 08:10 AM
    The only time I would want to turn it off is when I'm laying in bed. I can't be laying on my side and look at my phone. Having to turn over and half sit up is annoying sometimes, but I deal with it. I would take it as an option
    02-09-09 08:11 AM
    The Omnia has "motion sensor" options, and you can make it so that the phone rotates when you press a hard key only. I think that would be a nice option.
    02-09-09 08:25 AM
    As long as I can control when it's on or off then I'm in!
    02-09-09 09:09 AM
    it is necessary for me to have a option to control the orientation of my Storm
    02-09-09 10:37 AM
    I voted yes, but I don't think it's necessary to have an option for it. I think it just needs to ba a bit "smarter" with when it makes sense to have portrait and landscape views. There are times when it is nothing more than a PITA (like the home screen, full menu screen, any phone function (except when adding contacts), etc.).

Actually, it should only be used when the keyboard is either part of the application (e.g. messaging) or activated manually, when using a web browser or for media applications. Wouldn't that also make the phone more efficient?
    02-09-09 02:24 PM
    I think RIM could introduce some "in-bed" mode that would include locked screen transition to landscape or portrait (selectable) and customized settings for screen brightness and backlight timeout. This might be something they could advertise as a selling feature...
    02-09-09 04:07 PM
    Actually its fine when I'm lying in bed. In landscape mode I just make sure I have the handset with the buttons on the right if I'm on my left hand side and buttons on the left if I'm on my right hand side. Does that make sense?
    02-09-09 09:04 PM
    I dont like that idea
    02-16-09 10:09 PM
    This would be a great idea. I hate when it just decides for itself that I changed orientations... RIM = options. This would be another way they could look at Apple and say, "PWNT"
    02-16-09 10:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD