I want to send out an encouragement to everyone on .75 still to update their phones to a more recent OS.

I have had a storm since release and i also had the mis fortune of having a Mac but today i took the plunge. a friend of mine had a windows laptop with him and he also has a blackberry so i asked him to use his phone and i updated to .113.

I chose .113 because out of the .1xx builds from other peoples reactions it has the least complications.

As i said i just want to encourage some of you to go ahead and take the plunge and update. no it did not make any crazy improvements in performance but i never had issues to begin with really. It did bring me a portrait QWERTY keyboard and that little text selector box which is so much easier to use when editing words and such. For those two alone the update is worth it.

If some of you are worried about how to do it its really easy i followed Crucial Xtreme's (Thanks CX) instructions at the bottom of his thread Hereabout not even using DM but just using the App loader. It made it so much easier than going through DM because when i tried it once before i couldnt get it to work but going through his instructions about just using app loader made it so much easier and the phone just updated in a matter of about 10 minutes.

I had all of my contacts backed up to my own computer so i sync'ed it to my mac again afterwards and it already installed my 3rd party apps for me. If your using your own personal computer i believe you have the ability to back up everything all the way down to your settings so you wont have to basically start from scratch with your phone.

The one thing i will caution at is to be patient. When the phone starts running our temptation is to jump into it and start seeing how fast we can go but you have to realize the phone is still essentially warming up. What I did was wait 5 minutes. I did all my settings moved all of my icons around and such re-setup my programs and then i did another battery pull and gave it another 5 minutes after it restarted and from there it has been perfect.

Memory went up from 31 on startup to 36 to those that want to know the apps i have are:

AIM
    Beejive BETA - I dont use it anymore the AIM app has grown on me
    App World
    BlackBerry Messenger
    Brick Breaker
    Capture It
    Gnome by EleyCruz(sp?) - im running the default theme now though
    Docs To Go
    Facebook
    GMail
    I Heart Radio
    MeterBerry
    Myspace
    Pattern Lock
    Poynt
    Quick Launch
    Twitter Berry
    Viigo - I dont keep it running
    Word Mole

So as you see i have quite a bit of apps on my phone although most of them are never running constantly aside from GMail

Once again this is just meant to be an encouragement to those who like me have been using .75 since the day it came out and just want a few of the new features.

Thanks again to the CB family for supplying the leak and for the tips on how to update and the feedback of what not to update to
    05-13-09 09:57 PM
    I completely agree. It's not difficult at all and the improvements in your phone are amazing.
    05-13-09 10:03 PM
    its not complicated if you have some PC experience. look at the amount of installs that go wrong though....
    05-13-09 10:10 PM
    yeah, i went to the verizon store to play with the .75's and i couldnt believe my phone was actually that slow!!! people, please update if you are on the verge of selling your storm!!! the difference is massive!!
    05-13-09 10:17 PM
    I know a lot of people have issues with .75, but I am one of the lucky ones who doesn't. I have not had any issues with .75... my camera works fine (don't mind that it's a little slow... I wouldn't try to take action shots with it anyway), and I have never gotten an error message from the video camera.

It may be slower than some of the other OS options out there, but it's not slow enough to frustrate me.

With that said, the other OS options all have their bugs. For me, it is not a matter of being "afraid" to update. I just find no need to update to an OS that has other annoying bugs (and some of them would REALLY annoy me), when I have a solid OS (and it is solid for me) that doesn't give me any issues.

But thanks for the pep talk!
    05-13-09 10:19 PM
    its not complicated if you have some PC experience. look at the amount of installs that go wrong though....
    Yea thats why i directed people to CX's thread
    05-13-09 10:19 PM
    I know a lot of people have issues with .75, but I am one of the lucky ones who doesn't. I have not had any issues with .75... my camera works fine (don't mind that it's a little slow... I wouldn't try to take action shots with it anyway), and I have never gotten an error message from the video camera.

It may be slower than some of the other OS options out there, but it's not slow enough to frustrate me.

With that said, the other OS options all have their bugs. For me, it is not a matter of being "afraid" to update. I just find no need to update to an OS that has other annoying bugs (and some of them would REALLY annoy me), when I have a solid OS (and it is solid for me) that doesn't give me any issues.

I was in the same boat my .75 was basically flawless the reason i chose .113 is because it has the least bugs ot the .1xx builds and none of them are major. with .113 you gain a few new features and the update to the camera is nice as well i would suggest trying it and if you dont like it go back to .75
    05-13-09 10:22 PM
    Yea thats why i directed people to CX's thread
    i think the sticky at the top of the page is better. the links have pictures and many threads that will help you if you get stuck.
    05-13-09 10:22 PM
    I am currently running 0.75. I havent had any issues with running 0.75 either. Would you guys recommend first going to .113 before anything else? Is there that much of a noticeable difference?
    05-14-09 08:49 AM
    I thank the encouragement Drumzalicious, but for me, updating has not worked one bit. I have tried dowloading three different os's from different places, Tried app loader, Loader.exe, DM, wiping, etc.

This just does noot work for me which gives me only one option.... to wait on Verizon
    05-14-09 09:39 AM
    I have tried twice and followed the direction exactly. Both times it frozed up in the middle of the install and nuked my storm. It may have been somthing on my desktop becuase I could not even put .75 back on. I had to use my laptop to wipe it and then was reintall .75. I've thought about trying to upgrade on my laptop, but .75 is working ok except for the random reboots. It does not always go smoothly and if not be prepared and read up on how to fix it. If your not computer savy wait for the offical release.
    05-14-09 09:56 AM
    i agree but would choose .132 instead of .113 to load
    05-14-09 11:07 AM

Yeah what Morf said....
    05-14-09 11:13 AM
    Alright, I'm taking the plunge! I've had my Storm since April 21st and really haven't had problems with it, but I keep reading how much better the leaked OS's are... So, I'm currently getting ready to hit the go button to update to .132 - Wish me luck!
    05-14-09 11:53 AM
    I am currently running 0.75. I havent had any issues with running 0.75 either. Would you guys recommend first going to .113 before anything else? Is there that much of a noticeable difference?
    I did 113 because I read the battery life is not to well on the more recent leaks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-09 04:23 PM
    All I read on this forum is the various headaches people have with leaked updates. I am happy with .75 and will wait for an official update.
    05-14-09 04:24 PM
    For those of you who are saying that your phone does not update properly or your just having general problems I would suggest checking out the sticky in the main part of the os forum it has quite a bit of threads on updating your phone and it might be something very simple that your not doing

05-14-09 04:25 PM
    i would encourage people to do it as well. Just keep in mind you CAN brick your phone. and possibly Void your warranty if Carrier wants to be a PITA. i love .132 been awesome for me.
    05-14-09 04:33 PM
    CX's app loader tempted me to upgrade as well and it was simple. Simple enough that I was able to help another CB member via BBM to upgrade to .132 as I've done.

05-14-09 04:41 PM
    I think I would pay someone to just do it for me in person. I just dont feel like hasseling. Besides .75 hasnt hindered my experience other than the camera sucking.
    05-14-09 04:47 PM
    First off I think the storm is a great phone. It is my first BlackBerry and I'm satisfied. However it does have those little bugs such as some drop down options are cut in half and I have to guess what I'm choosing. I have also had some glitches here and there. I started to so the .113 update but the whole warranty stopped me in the middle of the update. It was very easy to go right back to .75. So what do you guys think, should I do an update or what? Thanks
    05-14-09 04:53 PM
    Well, my upgrade went smoothly, not a problem at all. I used the AppLoader method and it took about 25 minutes altogether. It booted up with about 5mb more memory than before, so that's cool. I also think I see an improvement when typing and navigating around the Storm. I'll be able to compare with my husband's Storm later tonight since he's still running .75 on his.

The camera, however, is definitely much improved! Faster at taking the pic, nice transparent toolbar so you can see the whole image.

Luck was definitely on my side, today, though. No more than 5 minutes after my upgrade completed and I had disconnected the phone our power went out! Had that happened a few minutes earlier or if the upgrade had taken a few minutes longer I might have ended up with a shiny new brick instead of my Storm!
    05-14-09 05:21 PM
    First off I think the storm is a great phone. It is my first BlackBerry and I'm satisfied. However it does have those little bugs such as some drop down options are cut in half and I have to guess what I'm choosing. I have also had some glitches here and there. I started to so the .113 update but the whole warranty stopped me in the middle of the update. It was very easy to go right back to .75. So what do you guys think, should I do an update or what? Thanks
    Don't worry about your warranty. If you have any issues with your phone when load a beta OS and you go back to your carrier to ask for them for their help. They can refuse to help you because they do not support that os.

So what you can do is to make sure you remove the beta os and load the old one (.75). And you are again covered by your warranty.

If you are choosing to what version of beta os to install look at the 122 and 131 version. Skip 113, it is a bit wonky and 141; well you can see the issues with that built. Just make sure you back up all your data to be on the safe side.

Remember practice safe loading
    Last edited by Ronindan; 05-14-09 at 05:28 PM. Reason: grammar
    05-14-09 05:25 PM
    If you are choosing to what version of beta os to install look at the 122 and 131 version. Skip 113, it is a bit wonky and 141; well you can see the issues with that built. Just make sure you back up all your data to be on the safe side.
    I agree about Bell's .122 ... not only is it a non-beta, "official" release, it seems to have had fewer issues, overall, for my particular phone. That said, there was nothing all that dramatic about the upgrade, IME.

Which points out the observation that these things can be very phone specific, so what works for some may not work for all.
    05-14-09 06:08 PM
    I'm on .141 right now, but I really think .132 is the way to go, especially from .75.
    I really liked my phone on .75, but now I love it!
    05-14-09 08:38 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD