i own a samsung omnia on verizon, which i got in December. when i purchased this phone i renewed my contract for 2 years and got the $200 discounted price. now, a few months later, i absolutely cant stand the omnia. the small, low resolution, unresponsive touch screen with winmo is just terrible. So, i thought i would sell it on ebay [without a contract obviously] and get a little more than i paid, and use that towards buying a used storm on ebay in excellent condition for not much more. but, if i do so and have it activated, can i purchase insurance every month for it? what if theres something wrong, or dust gets under the screen? most ebay sellers will not do exchanges. [obviously if its the only one they have] so....any potential problems/solutions/tips for me here? lol
    thanks
    02-14-09 05:57 PM
    I don't think you can get insurance on it. You can only gain insurance from Verizon before 15 days of the phones first activation.
    02-14-09 05:59 PM
    I would call and find out. Whenever I have switched phones the insurance never drops off my plan. That doesnt necessarily mean they honor it though. When I ordered my storm I remember seeing that you had 15 days to add insurance.
    02-14-09 06:10 PM
    normaly if its a used phone they wont let u have insurance at all. but depending on their mood im sure it can be added easliy but very unlikly
    02-14-09 06:40 PM
    Buy a new Storm and sell the Omnia on eBay or one of the WinMo/HTC sites like:
    PPCGeeks.com or xda-developers - Xda-developers
    02-14-09 07:02 PM
    I had a similar problem a while back with a different crappy Win. Mob. device. I used it for about 2 1/2 months and hated it. I took it back to my local Verizon store and explained all my gripes to the manager. He exchanged the phone and all purchased accessories for the Pearl. I realize this was against the contract I had signed and it was completely courtesy on his part, but every now and again you can still find great customer service.

Option 2, cancel contract and pay that fee by selling Omnia on E-Bay and purchase Storm on new contract.
    02-14-09 07:23 PM
    IF you have insurance on your current phone, and activate a different phone online, the insurance will be active on the new phone from the date it is activated. The 15 day limit only applies to the first time you get the insurance.
    02-14-09 09:09 PM
    yea i have insurance on the omnia...and yea i guess ill try to go to verizon with it again and complain. i did once and the lady there seemed very dull and relaxed, not very helpful at all, and told me to trade it in to them for $190 and buy a storm a retail...**** that lol

so the insurance would automatically switch to the storm and if i had any common problems verizon will replace it?
    also, what if i called up verizon and listed all of my complaints with the omnia? any chance of an exchange? i got the phone for christmas...
    Last edited by insanebinky; 02-14-09 at 09:55 PM. Reason: fixed double post
    02-14-09 09:34 PM
    IF you have insurance on your current phone, and activate a different phone online, the insurance will be active on the new phone from the date it is activated. The 15 day limit only applies to the first time you get the insurance.
    You run an extreme risk of having a claim denied if you ever attempt to file one. I do believe the new system online now checks this.
    02-14-09 10:09 PM
    It wouldn't hurt to call CS. Just be nice and about it
    And state your complaints.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-09 10:12 PM
    You can purchase a new Storm on ebay from sellers. I purchased 3 of them myself. For later sales of course. But Im sure you can add the insurrance onto the phone since it will be brand new. Go for it.
    02-14-09 10:14 PM
    You run an extreme risk of having a claim denied if you ever attempt to file one. I do believe the new system online now checks this.
    They determine the validity of your claim by what phone was active on your account on the day you say it was damaged or lost. They do not check to see if it was a new phone when you activated it as long as it was not the initial phone on which you added the insurance.
    Last edited by Smuuth; 02-14-09 at 10:24 PM.
    02-14-09 10:21 PM
    Being a Verizon wireless employee I can tell you this. Insurance can be added to any NEW phone purchased within 15 days from an authorized seller. Most E-bay stores are not authorized. A authorized seller would be an indirect agent or corporate store maybe some Ebay stores. Insurance may also ask for you to fax them a copy of the receipt if it was bought from a non-corporate store. Remember the insurance company is a separate company from Verizon Wireless so even if a employee slips up and leaves the insurance on the insurance will still deny your claim they don't care about losing your 5 bucks a month if it avoids them sending out a 500 dollar phone. I see it all the time when people are trying to be slick. If its used your just out of luck.
    02-14-09 10:36 PM
    but if its new? ive seen them new for $400 buy it now on ebay...
    02-15-09 06:53 AM
    I beleive stoic127 was saying that it has to be from an "Authorized Verizon" reseller, which most are not on ebay - To validate this they may ask for a copy of the receipt
    but if its new? ive seen them new for $400 buy it now on ebay...
    02-15-09 07:11 AM
    so i just went to verizon and no help...they said i will have to purchase the storm at retail from them, for $500. so im gonna sell the omnia on ebay for starting bid of $350, considering how its near perfect with no screen scratches and 4 cases & 3 screen protecters and buy the storm from verizon for 500...but, i could also buy from ebay and use rims 1yr warranty....also i tried out the storm while i was there, and i like size and screen clarity but the screen was moving in its place, and typing was inaccurate and slow because i had to wait for the screen to come back up... i have seen that by wedging a piece of paper behind the battery, and messing with some settings this can be greatly improved? is this anything to worry about??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-09 12:20 PM
    ok i just put it on ebay for $359 starting bid with 4 cases and 3 screen protectors...should it sell? cant wait for my storm! im gonna buy it retail from verizon for $500, to avoid any complications with insurance and warrenty
    02-15-09 08:55 PM
    Don't hold me to this but you should be fine if you had the insurance with the other phone. I was always told that the insurance is based on the number not the device. That is why you are able to switch to a razr from a berry for a deay and back. Don't hold me to it, but i am 90% sure the insurance goes with the line, not the device.
    02-15-09 09:01 PM
    Insurance is based on device. Otherwise a family can put insurance on one line and move whatever broken phone to that line and get a replacement. If you have questions on insurance just give the Insurance company a call 1(888)881-2622.
    02-15-09 11:55 PM
    prob gonna buy the storm today! i should get a recent build right? better build quality, less probs??
    02-16-09 07:56 AM
    OK, it makes no sense whatsoever that insurance would be based on the account and not on the device.

What's to stop someone from buying a broken one for dirt cheap with the intention of getting it replaced for a brand new one?
    02-16-09 08:44 AM
    tru, thats y im buying it retail from verizon...
    02-16-09 08:59 AM
    ok so now im buying it wednesday...ugh. im gonna get insurance with it too. any ideas for cases from verizon until i order a nicer one online? i was thinking about the innocase II with a screen protector from sedio and a wobble reducer/chrome protector from grafixpressions.com....thought??
    02-16-09 09:28 PM
    I would call Asurion (assuming you are in the States) before buying a brand new storm from Verizon for retail. The Verizon reps will, of course, want you to buy the phone from them - so be sure you take everything they say with a grain of salt (this goes for any retailer; nothing against Verizon). If you plead your case convincingly enough, there may be a chance Asurion will set something up for you. Who knows?
    This is obviously not a guarantee, but it's definitely a step I would take before shelling out $500.

If all else fails, and you're really concerned with spending the extra money, just cancel your plan, sell your omnia, and purchase the Storm at the "new plan price."

Just my $.02 and opinion - take it for what it's worth (not a whole lot).
    Last edited by Kushtronics; 02-16-09 at 09:52 PM.
    02-16-09 09:47 PM
    well u see, im going to be 16 in april, so its my dads plan...he def not gonna want to do that whole cancellation thing. I used the 2 year contract extend when i got the omnia so....im pretty screwed at this point but i look at it like not much is coming out of my pocket because my omnia is on ebay for $360, as its screen is perfect and im including 4 cases and 3 screen protectors....so im only really shelling out $140, plus activation and a case and all that lol...as many people here have said, the omnia looks good on paper, but physically..... i def should have tried it in person. i cant stand it. windows cripples it, the screen is small, low res, resistive[aka unresponsive] and build quality is terrible...im just hoping the storm is much better which im pretty sure it will be. i used it in the store and it seemed great but the screen woble a little, but im going to get a little strip for that, and the typing/click issues, but the typing can be fixed by adjusting the settings and OS updates, and the click with either some "tricks" with the paper or the screws, or if i have to get an exchange...and any idea for cases? innocase II w/scrn pro i was thinking....is that buy one get one free storm offer still avalible? can i do it if i buy at retail? i used my dads upgrade when i got the omnia so i kinda owe him one lol...
    Last edited by insanebinky; 02-16-09 at 10:56 PM.
    02-16-09 10:53 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD