05-12-10 08:10 PM
47 12
tools
    So I am on my third damn storm 2 now and I keep having the same issue over and over again. The phone is flawless for me except for the fact that all 3 s2s I've gone through sound like a damn kazoo after a week of use. Its only in the phone speaker that it happens but its starting to really **** me off.

I love this phone and can't see myslef liking any other blackberry at all but I can't stand this. The first one I had crapped out a week before my 30 days was up with Telus so I got an instore replacement. Was fine for a bout a week n a half and once again I couldn't hear anything clearly out of the speaker. I paid the deposit and sent in that phone for repairs. 3 weeks later I got a new one with the new date code n everything. Now not even a week later its doing it again.

Does anyone know what would cause this or how I can fix it? I've turned the volume down on them and don't use it 24/7 but I should be able to get some use from this thing before the speaker blows. This is ridiculous and I am at my wits end. I will be going into Telus to try once more on Monday but why does this keep happening to me when my moms has been completely fine for 3 months

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-10 04:45 PM
    I may be something you are doing? I've never heard of this problem with anyone before. The first thing that came to mind was maybe you have longer hair and are using a product and it somehow gets into the speaker area and messes things up.. Not really sure just brainstorming.
    05-02-10 04:59 PM
    I have longer hair bit don't use any products at all. I'm a guy but by that logic women would almost always have this problem and it would be more commonly known lol

05-02-10 05:02 PM
    never heard of this happening either....seems very odd that you have had it happen 3 times when no one ever reports this problem
    05-02-10 05:08 PM
    What type of environment do you work in? Is there a high concentration of particulate material in the air? Do you work somewhere that you could come into contact with any type of metallic dust or any other material that could be drawn to the phones speaker? After 3 different phones I am thinking it is environmental assuming that you are not abusing your poor little Storm2 .

05-02-10 05:29 PM
    I work on a mold shop..... But how would that mess up the speaker like this?

05-02-10 05:41 PM
    May I suggest your sure ticket to happiness??
    05-02-10 05:52 PM

the dust COULD be bad...
    is there something that you do that is taxing to the speaker, like calling a mother-in-law or something?
    05-02-10 06:01 PM
    Does it do it after a battery pull?
    05-02-10 06:06 PM
    The thing is that I love my storm 2 and do not want to switch at all plus I dont know what Telus will do and if they will just give me a different one if I complain enough.....
    05-02-10 06:07 PM
    yes i am assuming its where you work. dust can wreak havic for sure
    Last edited by howarmat; 05-02-10 at 07:27 PM.
    05-02-10 06:26 PM
    wreak havoc, Mat? lol. Sorry, couldn't resist.
    05-02-10 06:48 PM
    May I suggest your sure ticket to happiness??
    Sure, buts Corvettes are very expensive!!!

And the OP doesn't sound like he's going thru a midlife crisis.........
    05-02-10 07:12 PM
    Well that's so stupid that the dust from the shop will affect it..... And I talk to the gf all the time but I try to keep the volume down. Is there any way to stop it from happening? Cuz if I can't take my phone in the shop then ill miss important stuff. You'd think that rim would make sure that the phones can handle a little dust n crap

05-02-10 07:32 PM

= Lots of tool steel particles (P20, etc) that would be attracted to the speakers magnet, sit on the speaker cone and buzz...
    05-03-10 07:02 AM
    Try an otterbox for your phone.
    05-03-10 07:18 AM
    I've had a great many BlackBerries and the storm has the worst call quality. It's ok. But it's no where near as good as the other berries I've had. I've had 3 storms and only one was defective (screen got dust under it) and all 3 have bad speakers. Or different. Someone said that the speaker isn't protected in the storm2. I don't know of it's true but call quality isn't it's forte.

05-03-10 07:26 AM
    try a can of compressed air around the speaker, maybe it will clear from of the dust out?

I like the plastic bag idea with the Bluetooth headset.
    05-03-10 09:01 AM
    Mine makes a similar sound if its near my desktop speakers. I've taken it to Haiti recently, out in the field (really dirty and dusty) but no issues. I guess I've been fortunate enough not have any speaker issues.
    05-03-10 09:07 AM
    = Lots of tool steel particles (P20, etc) that would be attracted to the speakers magnet, sit on the speaker cone and buzz...
    Would it be possible to use a strong magnet to remove the particles, without it damaging the phone?
    05-03-10 09:50 AM
    It's just going to depend on the enviroment you work in. If your work enviroment is deals with dust/particles, it's almost a sure thing you will encounter some issues. I work in many dust/particle areas, constructions sites, machineries etc. The S1 and S2 both have dust under the screen. However since going to an Otterbox, I do not notice any new "dust" issues.
    05-03-10 09:53 AM
    Would it be possible to use a strong magnet to remove the particles, without it damaging the phone?
    Probably not. Best thing would be to open the phone and wipe the cone (not an easy fix)
    05-03-10 09:54 AM
    Try an otterbox for your phone.
    ya definatly, i just got the otterbox defender for my storm 2, best investment ive made (asside from the device its self ). aside from the outter protection it gives, the otter box also comes with a thin film over the speaker port to keep dust and other particles out of your phone, by the way it sounds something is most likely being attracted to the magnet in the speaker.
    05-03-10 10:43 AM
    ya definatly, i just got the otterbox defender for my storm 2, best investment ive made (asside from the device its self ). aside from the outter protection it gives, the otter box also comes with a thin film over the speaker port to keep dust and other particles out of your phone, by the way it sounds something is most likely being attracted to the magnet in the speaker.
    I would get the otterbox but i really dont like the bulkiness of the case... the storm 2 is supposed to be a sleek sexy phone and i really dont like the look or feel of it with the otterbox. I have an epik case on it right now and i love it, still looks nice and it has a great feel.

now what if I were to put some kind of film over the speaker hole myself? Would that work? Like I could lift up the top part and put in a piece of cellophane or something.... or is there more to it than that?
    05-03-10 11:09 AM
    I don't think there is a fix, every one of my Storm2s sounded like this to one variation or another. It may also be the digital audio processor thats at fault and not the ear speaker at all. This may also explain the speaker phone failures it my be the digital audio processor failing to push the audio properly to the speakers and not the speakers at all.
    Last edited by Bettermost; 05-03-10 at 02:15 PM.
    05-03-10 12:19 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD