OK Now I'm seeing the exact audio complaints surfacing in the Droid Incredible forum. Soo this might not even be a hardware issue at all but an issue with Verizon's network. Its very suspicious that an HTC Droid and BB Storm would be having similar audio problems, Its more likely a common thread like the Verizon network in certain areas.

click and read:

3 big bugs with my phone I hope they fix. - Android Forums
    Last edited by Bettermost; 05-03-10 at 01:41 PM.
    05-03-10 01:15 PM
    one problem with that theory..... im with Telus in Canada....
    05-03-10 02:39 PM
    I do not want to sound mean or anything but i think the issue is how you handle the phone. It's pretty rare to have 3 devices exhibiting the same exact issue with the same user. Change your ways a bit i guess?
    05-03-10 02:48 PM
    I do not want to sound mean or anything but i think the issue is how you handle the phone. It's pretty rare to have 3 devices exhibiting the same exact issue with the same user. Change your ways a bit i guess?
    I have never dropped any of the S2s that ive owned. I have never gotten them wet. I always have it in its case. I always have the volume below max. I never shake, bump or hit it... so i dont know what im doing wrong lol
    05-03-10 03:22 PM
    I've been reading this thread since it came up. I just thought I would play devil's advocate. I am a carpenter. I respect my phone, but boy do I use it. I have the kind of belt clip hard case in which the phone goes in face first. Same kind that came with my 8350i. I put it in my pocket like a pocket knife, with just the clip hanging out of the pocket.

That is the protection I offer it, after that there aren't really any rules. It is a business phone. I roll over on it, ram into things with my body (and the phone). I use it all the time at the job with dirty hands, sticky fingers, and it is COVERED in sawdust daily. I usually blow off the screen with my mouth and once a week take the back cover off and hit it with a toothbrush.

This is how I "used" my 8350i, my S1 and now my S2. While the back and body of the phone get beat up, I've never had any problems of any sort.

While I agree that it is really weird you have this repeat problem, I find it hard to believe it is from lack of care.
    Last edited by jiggyb; 05-03-10 at 09:14 PM.
    05-03-10 09:12 PM
    I know this is a long shot, but is it possible that you somehow got a kazoo lodged deep in your ear canal? Do you remember falling down around the time this all started, and possibly landing - ear first - on a waiting kazoo? I don't know - just thinking out loud and throwing it out there...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-10 09:31 PM
    I was happy with my 1st storm and now with this one(9550)I happier...can't wait for OS 6
    05-03-10 09:46 PM
    I was going to go back to my tour..but I gave this one two more days....and I am loving it even more...typing once you get used to is so quick and easy.

05-03-10 09:53 PM
    I've been reading this thread since it came up. I just thought I would play devil's advocate. I am a carpenter. I respect my phone, but boy do I use it. I have the kind of belt clip hard case in which the phone goes in face first. Same kind that came with my 8350i. I put it in my pocket like a pocket knife, with just the clip hanging out of the pocket.

That is the protection I offer it, after that there aren't really any rules. It is a business phone. I roll over on it, ram into things with my body (and the phone). I use it all the time at the job with dirty hands, sticky fingers, and it is COVERED in sawdust daily. I usually blow off the screen with my mouth and once a week take the back cover off and hit it with a toothbrush.

This is how I "used" my 8350i, my S1 and now my S2. While the back and body of the phone get beat up, I've never had any problems of any sort.

While I agree that it is really weird you have this repeat problem, I find it hard to believe it is from lack of care.

Well thank you for that! kinda gives me a bit more piece of mind to know that I dont have to wrap my phone in a nice warm cozy blanket at night and baby it as if it would fall apart with the slightest nudge.

I know this is a long shot, but is it possible that you somehow got a kazoo lodged deep in your ear canal? Do you remember falling down around the time this all started, and possibly landing - ear first - on a waiting kazoo? I don't know - just thinking out loud and throwing it out there...

LMFAO... I dont recall falling ear first anytime recently
    05-04-10 08:47 AM
    So i sent in my phone (got storm 1 as loaner) and was looking the storm 1 over and I noticed that in the hole in the top it has a little screen blocking the path going down into the phone. currious I went and looked at my moms storm 2 and sure enough it does not have this screen. So I took the s1 into work and halfweay through the day i checked it... tiny little metal chips were stuck in there being blocked by the screen!

What is that hole used for??? When i get my new S2 back I was just planning on getting some super glue and sealing up that stupid hole because im pretty sure now that thats whats causing these issues! furthermore why the **** would there be a screen on the S1 and not on the S2? it seems that something like that wouldnt be too hard to keep in a newer model.......
    05-11-10 07:53 AM
    The oblong hole at the top, on the front, is the speaker and my Storm 2 has a fine-mesh screen over it. The oblong hole on top is a hook for belt clips. I don't think that one penetrates the case.
    If you pull off the top piece of plastic where the lock and mute keys are there is a hole there that goes down into the phone and on the storm 1 there is a fine mesh over both the front hole and the one on the very top but on the storm 2 there is only a mesh over the hole in the front not the top.
    05-11-10 11:20 AM
    Here is a pic of the hole im talking about

When i get home Ill try and pull back the top piece and take a pic inside to show the mesh screen there.
    05-11-10 11:23 AM
    The oblong hole on top is a hook for belt clips. I don't think that one penetrates the case.
    Really? you mean i've been speaking into the wrong microphone whenever i use vlingo?

damn, the real microphone is sensitive.
    05-11-10 11:24 AM
    Guess I've been had by the speaker issue. Right after posting in this thread the first time my speaker started acting up. Called VW, without even a question he said they were sending a replacement. I expressed that I love my phone, have had really good luck with it and would like to keep it if possible. I just threw it out there that perhaps it was an OS issue or something and said that I had switched back and forth between .517 and .607. He said, "No, I'm sure it's probably the speaker".

He answered so quickly and "knew" it was the speaker. So is this the next/current widespread issue? What's the deal? Are they always so quick to hand out replacements, this is my first.
    05-11-10 07:11 PM
    Guess I've been had by the speaker issue. Right after posting in this thread the first time my speaker started acting up. Called VW, without even a question he said they were sending a replacement. I expressed that I love my phone, have had really good luck with it and would like to keep it if possible. I just threw it out there that perhaps it was an OS issue or something and said that I had switched back and forth between .517 and .607. He said, "No, I'm sure it's probably the speaker".

He answered so quickly and "knew" it was the speaker. So is this the next/current widespread issue? What's the deal? Are they always so quick to hand out replacements, this is my first.
    He posts on this forum and recognized you.
    05-11-10 07:14 PM
    why would that be stupid to think dust could be the issue? It is logical. Dust gets into the phone and it can create a problem. I don't have a touch screen but dust can still get into my screen. It used to get into the trackball on my Tour I just take the dust off in a can and spray it. Nothing is safe from dust. But you can protect your phone by having a really good case. I now have the Curve and can see dust. I have a good case and I take good care of my things, but it can happen. Nothing is safe from it. Get a good case and just take better care of it
    05-11-10 07:27 PM
    A friend of mine had this problem with hers but it kept doing it so she switched back to another smartphone. It made me giggle when I saw your thread title, sorry about the kazoo noise, but that was funny! :-)
    05-11-10 07:41 PM

LMFAO!!! Freaking awesome!
    05-12-10 01:12 AM
    Boy, no problems for me with any aspect of the phone. Had it since launch, and I use the speaker quite a bit. Hope I didn't just jinx myself!
    05-12-10 01:18 AM
    I have a kazoo too... It was unusable. No crazy usage - I work in an office, not a machine shop. The speakerphone works fine - but the earpiece on the phone is very much like a kazoo. It is an excellent explanation of what it sounds like. Replacement is on the way.
    05-12-10 10:21 AM
    I have a kazoo too... It was unusable. No crazy usage - I work in an office, not a machine shop. The speakerphone works fine - but the earpiece on the phone is very much like a kazoo. It is an excellent explanation of what it sounds like. Replacement is on the way.
    Ok well there goes my theory.... if its happening to you in an office, and me in a machine shop, and not someone in a wood shop..... then metal and excessive dust does not explain this! What the Eff
    05-12-10 11:59 AM
    I read about this on a thread somewhere around here. I have had the same problem. Someone suggested taking the top cover off and blowing with compressed air towards the speaker. It worked for me for a little while. Good thing I have an air compressor at home. It seems to temporarily clear the problem. My volume is set to max, cuz I work in a noisy environment.
    05-12-10 07:10 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD