I love my Storm, but ya know what would make a heck of a nice improvement? Cursor keys! And since there's no delete key, it's really, really hard to edit text. Touching the screen to get where you want to edit simply doesn't work well.

I love the keyboard itself. I've tried using the "regular" Blackberries and those keyboards don't work for me at all. The buttons are too small. But man it sure could use cursor keys. I'd love another "shift-type" button to switch to another keyboard variant with arrow keys, insert/home/delete/end just like on a PC keyboard.

I wonder if there's anybody at RIM I can plead with to at least get this considered?

Rob
    02-16-09 11:56 AM
    I've been saying for a while now the keyboard would do well to include a tab key. Simply pressing [tab] to cycle through input fields on a web page would be such an improvement.

By cursor keys, do you mean arrow keys plus home and end?
    02-16-09 11:59 AM
    I couldn't agree more with the need for cursor/arrow keys.

I assume you know about the ability to drag the cursor around already, right? If you touch (not click) and hold near the cursor, it will turn into a hollow box that you can drag around pretty easily and get it in the place you want. The keyboard lag seems to make it a bit more difficult than it should be, but it's better than trying to click where you want the cursor to go.
    02-16-09 12:16 PM
    Also, what would be real nice is if the browser were smart enough to auto-wrap text in a text field. One of the most frustrating things is posting to this site and having to scroll horizontally to see what you typed. It always screws me up, puts in line breaks when I don't want them and makes the cursor drag tool I talked about above almost useless.
    02-16-09 12:22 PM
    Another vote for cursor keys and a delete key (in addition to the backspace key). I just can't get used to touching the screen and moving the little box around. No matter where I start, my finger always seems to end up right where I need to see.
    02-16-09 12:26 PM
    ...If you touch (not click) and hold near the cursor, it will turn into a hollow box that you can drag around pretty easily and get it in the place you want....
    This is useful information. I didn't know you can drag it around.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-09 12:31 PM
    while the touching the screen for the box to move around is nice.. I find it frustrating at times and not that fun to use.

I would LOVE to have cursor keys, and delete too. Why not get rid of one of the symbol keys by the spacebar and add a key to go to a page dedicated to editing.. cursor keys, delete, backspace, tab, copy, paste.. etc. That would be a HUGE improvement for me!
    02-16-09 12:34 PM
    Another vote for cursor keys and a delete key (in addition to the backspace key). I just can't get used to touching the screen and moving the little box around. No matter where I start, my finger always seems to end up right where I need to see.
    Just start with your finger on the opposite side of the direction you want to move. You also don't have to be right on top of the cursor - I usually hold about a word to the opposite side of the direction I need to move it.
    02-16-09 12:59 PM
    I like the way the storm can edit text. I don't really think it needs a cursor key or a home key. Just have to get used to the phone that's all.
    But sometime the lag on the screen makes it hard to edit they will probably fix it in a few updates ever that happens. Anyways I am a happy storm
    user.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-09 01:16 PM
    I don't see a need for a cursor key, I'm totally okay with hovering till the cursor changes to move its location. I don't see a need for cursor keys as that would really kill viewing real estate.

THERE IS A DELETE KEY: it's a capital backspace key. If you press the Aa button, then press the backspace, it will delete what's after the cursor as opposed to what's behind the cursor.

a tab key would be great.
    02-16-09 01:19 PM
    I love my Storm, but ya know what would make a heck of a nice improvement? Cursor keys! Rob

+1, agreed, I would love some arrow keys. I struggle with the touch and wait for the super small box to appear and sometimes it will drag where you can see it editing method.
    02-16-09 01:23 PM
    +1, agreed, I would love some arrow keys. I struggle with the touch and wait for the super small box to appear and sometimes it will drag where you can see it editing method.
    I agree!

Sounds like good "Poll" thread, maybe RIM can add it to the next OS?
    02-16-09 01:28 PM

THERE IS A DELETE KEY: it's a capital backspace key. If you press the Aa button, then press the backspace, it will delete what's after the cursor as opposed to what's behind the cursor.

hmm, never tried this and it doesnt seem to work for me.
    02-16-09 01:29 PM
    hmm, never tried this and it doesnt seem to work for me.
    Odd. it's been working for me for a while now. I wonder if it has to do with the version of software you're running.

Make sure you're not on caps lock. you have to press the cap button, then press the backspace button. and you'll have to press the cap button for each time you want to delete rather than backspace.
    02-16-09 01:40 PM
    ahhh, ok. I was holding it down to get the caps lock. works now that I understand what ya mean
    02-16-09 01:52 PM
    ahhh, ok. I was holding it down to get the caps lock. works now that I understand what ya mean
    good. glad it's working for you.
    02-16-09 02:02 PM
    Just start with your finger on the opposite side of the direction you want to move. You also don't have to be right on top of the cursor - I usually hold about a word to the opposite side of the direction I need to move it.
    You don't have to be anywhere near the cursor. You can touch anywhere on the screen - the cursor will change into a block that you can move around.
    02-16-09 02:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD