I guess they just finished a training session on the phone and they were all raving about the redesigned handset and the new Palm O/S. Said it also has push e mail just like Blackberry. Has anyone seen or used one of these yet?
    Last edited by Bettermost; 01-21-10 at 03:45 AM.
    01-21-10 12:35 AM
    I guess they just finished a training session on the phone and they were all raving about the redesigned handset and the new Palm O/S. Said it also has push e mail just like Blackberry. Has anyone seen or used one of these yet?
    Try precentral.net. A good forum for input. The pre does not have push email like the blackberry, nothing does (exchange and gmail not withstanding).
    01-21-10 07:17 AM
    You could put a verizon logo on a loaf of bread and they'll get excited..it's new commission time..
    01-21-10 11:03 AM
    Yeah, VZW no longer has any kind of "Flagship" device.

They just have "Flavor of the week" device promotions.

Poor little Droid....... already cast aside for the cute little Pre.
    01-21-10 11:11 AM
    Verizon is trying to be the carrier with the best selection of smartphones because they realize that eventually everyone will have a smartphone. I'd have to admit that they are doing a pretty good job so far. They have, in my opinion, every hot new smartphone except the iphone and 9700. That's a big stepup from a year ago.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-10 11:38 AM
    I hate they way they tossed aside the Strom2 so quickly. Two weeks of the same commericial and that was it. No big annoucement; they were too busy getting ready for the Droid's arrival...I am so sick of watching weeks of advertising...RIM should be upset. I wonder how sales are for the Storm2?
    01-21-10 12:10 PM
    I hate they way they tossed aside the Strom2 so quickly. Two weeks of the same commericial and that was it. No big annoucement; they were too busy getting ready for the Droid's arrival...I am so sick of watching weeks of advertising...RIM should be upset. I wonder how sales are for the Storm2?

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm the kind of person that never buys first gen tech of anything - Car models, phones, Blu-ray, whatever. I wait until the bugs are sorted then jump in. That said, I went from a Pearl to a Storm2 and cannot believe how awesome it is. I've got over 600 songs on there, it's synced to my Mac perfectly, I've got it loaded with apps. Freebies were FB, UberTwitter, Viigo, AP, ScoreMobile (phenomenal app), GPS voice nav with LifeInPocket, Pandora, Bloomberg, Poynt, both App Worlds, Amazon.com, PayPal, eBay, FancyTranslator, MyVerizon, and BeWeather Free. Paid apps are Tether (fully operational with the MacBook), Mortgage Calculator, One Touch Flashlight, Storm Level, EasyBartender, FitDeck, Traxx, Chess, Aces Majong, and of course, Druglord Wars.

For a theme I'm running that absolutely freaking awesome Hybrid 8 HT for 5.0, 8 icons w/today, 2 top slots. I'm a professional musician and having my insane calendar right there along with access to all my apps off the front screen has been a godsend. I switched over from the Dave Pro 5.0 Color 10 Icon with today and 2 top slots, which is cool too, as it has those mini shortcuts that activate Today at the bottom of the screen for Messages, Calendar, Contacts, and Browser, eliminating the needs for actual icons. It's still a wonderful theme, though.

My only issue is the slow browser, though it's always been pretty snappy for me. The imminent WebKit browser will fix this, though.

RIM should be pissed. This phone is literally perfect for me. I tell everyone I know to get one and don't look back. Once you make it a "you" device, it's unparalleled, IMO. VZW really threw that device under the bus.
    01-21-10 12:36 PM
    I don't think it matters. It's to late for the Pre...
    01-21-10 12:39 PM
    ...snip
    RIM should be pissed. This phone is literally perfect for me. I tell everyone I know to get one and don't look back. Once you make it a "you" device, it's unparalleled, IMO. VZW really threw that device under the bus.../snip
    I agree. I love my Storm 2. My boss was showing me holiday pictures on her iTouch and she was going on about how she could download podcasts (using wifi at her house), and music and television shows, and how she loved being able to check her e-mail on it without lugging the laptop out. As she was going on and on about it, in my head I'm like "Yup...I can do that. Yup...I do that...Yup...same here..." only with my Storm. And then after I told her about all the yups I had to go on about how it's even better that it's also my phone because I really DO have one device that does it all. I'm very, very happy with my storm and can even live with the browsing as I've found mobile friendly sites for most stuff and for what I haven't, Opera Mini 5 beta 2 is AWESOME. Don't get me wrong...I'm chomping at the bit for the better browser...but I can handle the trade off for now.

About the only thing that concerns me about my Storm 2 is running out of app memory. If developers decide to support BBs and come out with games and things, the memory will go quickly. I'm already down to 76.5 megs.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Pre. I have heard some good things about the OS. I think I'm going to stick it out with what I have...but it's not out of the question for down the road.
    01-21-10 01:56 PM
    I am not sure if Pre will survive.

It's apps that determine what a phone ca do not OS, as long as OS offers enough features such as multi-tasking). Pre may not have enough apps to support.
    01-22-10 12:03 PM
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm the kind of person that never buys first gen tech of anything - Car models, phones, Blu-ray, whatever. I wait until the bugs are sorted then jump in. That said, I went from a Pearl to a Storm2 and cannot believe how awesome it is. I've got over 600 songs on there, it's synced to my Mac perfectly, I've got it loaded with apps. Freebies were FB, UberTwitter, Viigo, AP, ScoreMobile (phenomenal app), GPS voice nav with LifeInPocket, Pandora, Bloomberg, Poynt, both App Worlds, Amazon.com, PayPal, eBay, FancyTranslator, MyVerizon, and BeWeather Free. Paid apps are Tether (fully operational with the MacBook), Mortgage Calculator, One Touch Flashlight, Storm Level, EasyBartender, FitDeck, Traxx, Chess, Aces Majong, and of course, Druglord Wars.

For a theme I'm running that absolutely freaking awesome Hybrid 8 HT for 5.0, 8 icons w/today, 2 top slots. I'm a professional musician and having my insane calendar right there along with access to all my apps off the front screen has been a godsend. I switched over from the Dave Pro 5.0 Color 10 Icon with today and 2 top slots, which is cool too, as it has those mini shortcuts that activate Today at the bottom of the screen for Messages, Calendar, Contacts, and Browser, eliminating the needs for actual icons. It's still a wonderful theme, though.

My only issue is the slow browser, though it's always been pretty snappy for me. The imminent WebKit browser will fix this, though.

RIM should be pissed. This phone is literally perfect for me. I tell everyone I know to get one and don't look back. Once you make it a "you" device, it's unparalleled, IMO. VZW really threw that device under the bus.
    I thought VZW locks Perl GPS, how did you use the GPS navigation? Did VZW opens GPS on Pearl?
    01-22-10 12:07 PM
    pre plus is a nice phone and all and webos is a pretty good os but palm needs way more then 2 phones with webos on them for palm to get ne kind of market share or even recogniton imo.

01-22-10 12:11 PM
    There's nothing more bitter than a Storm 2 owner! The Droid and the PrePlus are superior devices. Face facts people!
    01-22-10 12:38 PM
    pre plus is a nice phone and all and webos is a pretty good os but palm needs way more then 2 phones with webos on them for palm to get ne kind of market share or even recogniton imo.

Blackberry should look into buying webos and integrating BBs awesome email features. Would be an incredible device.
    01-22-10 12:42 PM
    There's nothing more bitter than a Storm 2 owner! The Droid and the PrePlus are superior devices. Face facts people!
    Some people need to have a bb and don't want to carry two devices. If so, the storm2 is a viable option and droid and preplus obviously aren't. It's a good thing that the storm2 works well enough that people are pleased with it.

BTW, I need a blackberry for work, so I carry a Tour and a droid. I could only carry the Tour, but decided its worth having a separate device. It's a little clunky sometimes to have two but until RIM improves substantially, its what I'll do.
    01-22-10 12:44 PM
    The fact that you said that makes this a statement worth ignoring, but I will bite for now. I had the droid and to me the camera was okay, gps was nice, and browser blew the blackberry out of the water, but when it came to business use it just wasnt there...sorry.
    01-22-10 12:59 PM
    The fact that you said that makes this a statement worth ignoring, but I will bite for now. I had the droid and to me the camera was okay, gps was nice, and browser blew the blackberry out of the water, but when it came to business use it just wasnt there...sorry.
    If you read these forums for more than about ten seconds, you are bombarded with Storm owners crying about the fact that the Storm doesn't get enough credit or VZW treats it like a step child etc. It's an ok phone, but its clearly inferior to the the latest smartphones entering the market.
    01-22-10 01:12 PM
    If you read these forums for more than about ten seconds, you are bombarded with Storm owners crying about the fact that the Storm doesn't get enough credit or VZW treats it like a step child etc. It's an ok phone, but its clearly inferior to the the latest smartphones entering the market.
    I have read these forums for more then 10 seconds first off...second off I have played with the latest smartphones so I made up my OWN opinion, call me crazy but I like to do that sometime. Secondly its all up to what a person needs that makes the phone better one way or the other.
    01-22-10 02:01 PM
    I don't own either Storm or Droid and I must say that Droid is one awkward device. The form factor is horrible.
    01-22-10 02:07 PM
    ...but when it came to business use it just wasnt there...
    how so? i use my droid for business. activesync and the application touchdown (for email/calendar/tasks/) does everything my blackberry does.

the storm2 wasn't promoted heavily because it wasn't a huge improvement over storm1 and everyone knows how the storm1 did...

that said, the pre will be another nice option for verizon users.
    01-22-10 02:45 PM
    how so? i use my droid for business. activesync and the application touchdown (for email/calendar/tasks/) does everything my blackberry does.

the storm2 wasn't promoted heavily because it wasn't a huge improvement over storm1 and everyone knows how the storm1 did...

that said, the pre will be another nice option for verizon users.
    email isnt as good on the droid as it is on the blackberry unless you have gmail, logmein.com dosent work on the droid and there is no app, but it does work on the storm via ignition....dont get me wrong the droid is a nice device, and clearly one of the top smartphones, but when it comes to business use the storm 2 tops the droid for me...and you are right the pre will be a great option for people, now if we can get the fruit phone in here, the circle will be complete
    01-22-10 03:03 PM
    email isnt as good on the droid as it is on the blackberry...
    this is misconception born out of lack of knowledge about android. in general the blackberry does handle email better than android (that's what blackberry is designed for) but it's not better by much. activesync on the droid pushes email just as fast as bes does, and bis is not as big of an advantage for pop3/imap email as you might think it is. there are applications for android that rival bes/bis capability.

i know that's off topic, but if you have some specific examples you'd like to point out i'd be glad to discuss them. i know my blackberry and android os/capabilities very well.
    01-22-10 03:31 PM
    RIM should've thought about that before releasing the S1 prematurely...after the initial negative backlash the S1 got despite the marketing push...I'd keep S2 marketing to a minimum too.
    01-22-10 03:36 PM
    lol, my yahoo mail would poll every 15 minutes, also I am staff at another forum and and it didnt play well with the droid at all, also having 4 emails with 3 of them pulling cant be good for battery life Also I have a buddy that is part owner of some vzw stores here in ohio and he is thinking of coming back to blackberry for email as well, while 15 minutes isnt long to wait for most people for me I need instant response as some of my emails are security problems at the forum I help out at and also work....also I know there are alot of apps for the droid, but did you ever run into the error of having to shut down because of a error, I had that happen quite a few times on my droid(s) and also my sd card would say it was ejected when it wasnt...again you are right its not as BIG of advantage for some, but for me it was enough to come back to blackberry
    01-22-10 03:38 PM
    lol, my yahoo mail would poll every 15 minutes
    about the same as bis. you can set the polling time frame in the email app or use gmail as a proxy for getting pop3 email pushed. for the most part email delivery is a wash between the two.

also I am staff at another forum and and it didnt play well with the droid at all
    are you saying the droid browser didn't play well with the site and the blackberry one does? i find that very hard to believe. blackberry has a distinct disadvantage in browsing compared to the android. it's not even a contest.

also having 4 emails with 3 of them pulling cant be good for battery life
    i have pop3 pulling two emails and activesync enabled for my work email and i get very similar battery life compared to my storm2.

....also I know there are alot of apps for the droid, but did you ever run into the error of having to shut down because of a error
    not that i can remember. pretty much all the apps i have installed are compatible with the droid. there are a few apps that are still a work in progress, but if they cause problems they just force close. or i kill it with the taskmgr. haven't had to do a battery pull to resolve an app error. oh, we have the option for hard reset using the physical keys though if we need to reboot the phone (eliminating need for battery pull) and it boots up in less than half the time it takes the storm2 to boot up.

from the sounds of it, you haven't spent much (unbiased) time with the droid and/or you're getting second hand information from someone who isn't familiar with the droid.

there's nothing wrong with preference, and i can see why some people would stick with the bb. it's simple, they know it, they're used to it, they're happy with what it can do.

personally the droid does what the storm2 is good at, messaging, well enough for me. for everything else i use a touchscreen smart phone for, the droid has a distinct advantage over the storm2, imo.
    01-22-10 10:38 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD