Just got my first replacement in the mail today. I was going to keep my original until I was in a VZ store out of state and felt a properly functioning Storm they had on Demo... night and day difference.

I took my original (Build Date 12/15 19502 Canada) into my local VZ store on Monday to complain about the clicking requiring double the pressure on a/p in landscape. The lady there agreed something was up, and ordered me a replacement. The replacement was the same 19502 Canada Build Date 12/24.

Wow, what a difference... and I am in no way exaggerating. I have a keeper. I took mine to the store for the replacement so there would be no arguing or questions on the validity of my claim. In addition to the click being better, I don't have the rattle I did before when I would lightly wiggle the phone.

No way was I going to stick with the original for 2 years after experiencing a working Storm. I would have returned it and cut my losses.
    Last edited by mattg56; 01-02-09 at 08:42 PM.
    01-02-09 08:15 PM
    I wonder if all new model phones get replaced at this rate...
    When RIM first came out with the trackball on there models, a lot of people were returning them from the trackball's not working properly, I was one of them.

I got a replacement. I compared my replacement to my old one and saw the difference in the colors. My existing one was bright, but to bright were the replacement had a warm color to it. While watching the Babylon AD trailer on both models, the bright display made everyone look pale white where the replacement that had a warm color to it made everyone's skin tone look normal. Some people were looking for or sent phones back that had the warm color to it for a bright one, not sure why.
    01-02-09 08:22 PM
    This is why you don't ship a buggy phone. You get both bad returns in addition to the legitimate ones. I hope RIM/VZW learned their lesson.
    01-02-09 08:34 PM
    This thread is ridiculous.

I purchased my Storm through Customer Service on the 11th and got it on the 16th. I had random reboots constantly. I called Verizon tech on the 22nd and he told me to wipe and reset and reinstall the OS. Didn't help. I got around to calling back this past Tuesday and got another helpful tech who immediately called my Verizon store to see if they had a Storm to replace mine for. They did not. He then called the Verizon kiosk in my Circuit City and got them to agree to replace it for me that night.

So I would have to say your assumptions are false. Verizon is nothing but accommodating.
    01-02-09 08:37 PM
    This is why you don't ship a buggy phone. You get both bad returns in addition to the legitimate ones. I hope RIM/VZW learned their lesson.
    Everything, and I do mean everything, that has a day one launch for a product has problems. Some worse then other some not so bad. Anybody remember the Ford Pinto?

iPod had a ton of problems when it first launched. Even their 3G version that just came out STILL had problems with not being able to connect to AT&T's 3G network or if it did connect it wasn't for long.

Everything has bugs in it especially if your using Windows.
    01-02-09 08:40 PM
    I think the frenzy of replacements if anything like the posts I have read have to be curbed a bit. I'm not talking about accepting a non functioning unit, but I have read posts where owners don't like the particular shade of (name color) users who threw them against the wall and well, from a business standpoint verizon has to be in panic mode.

Perhaps the unit was released prematurely, regardless the kinks will get worked out. In the interim I don't blame this move on verizons part.

Chaz

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

I purchased my Storm through Customer Service on the 11th and got it on the 16th. I had random reboots constantly. I called Verizon tech on the 22nd and he told me to wipe and reset and reinstall the OS. Didn't help. I got around to calling back this past Tuesday and got another helpful tech who immediately called my Verizon store to see if they had a Storm to replace mine for. They did not. He then called the Verizon kiosk in my Circuit City and got them to agree to replace it for me that night.

So I would have to say your assumptions are false. Verizon is nothing but accommodating.
    Depends who you talk to, I had the same exact experience as you, but I am still fighting to get a replacement.

I had the same experience when I called for a replacement. My CS rep actually took my number down to call me back so that she wouldn't keep me on hold while she tracked down a phone for me. Turns out that every store was sold out, she called me back and apologized for it and said that they were due for a shipment of new replacements in a few days and that she would have one sent over night for me once they were available for shipment.
    01-02-09 08:43 PM
    i just think they should make everyone that wants a replacement to goto the store to have the techs look at it
    01-02-09 08:46 PM
    Geez...is every Storm that temperamental?! Mine squeak on the bottom row of the keyboard. The tech at Verizon says its normal to make that noise. I wanted to hug her and knee her. hahaha. I will go into the store to test a new one and see if the NEWER phones do have a flawless screen. On my 5th week. Thanks for the update about the 1-15-09 exchange.

Other than that, .85 rocking!
    01-02-09 08:56 PM
    Got my Storm 12-19 screen is really lose and it wont click in the upper left corner. Called them and they are sending me a new phone on Monday. This just happened today...several of my friends got a new storm for Christmas and theirs clicks so must better than mine.
    01-02-09 08:59 PM
    I think the Bold is a far superior product anyway! Verizon made a error in judgment with not going with the BOLD.
    sorta like verizon turned down the iphone? ohh.. naa.. !! hahahaha
    01-02-09 09:11 PM
    I think there are some early quality control issues, but now that I have a working click on the screen, I am 100% satisfied. I am pounding out the msgs very quickly and any erros I make are almost always caught by the auto correct.
    01-02-09 09:14 PM
    guys i need help ive been wondering about returning my storm. mostly because people are quick to return their product. after two weeks or so my storm clicking seems to have slightly reduced on the botom middle of the screen and the screen seems to be slightly petruding outward. my storm wasnt always like this so im worried if it will get worst. i dont even want a new one i would take it refurbished. any suggestion?
    01-02-09 09:44 PM
    guys i need help ive been wondering about returning my storm. mostly because people are quick to return their product. after two weeks or so my storm clicking seems to have slightly reduced on the botom middle of the screen and the screen seems to be slightly petruding outward. my storm wasnt always like this so im worried if it will get worst. i dont even want a new one i would take it refurbished. any suggestion?

Sure why dont you just return it and get a new one? I wasn't planning on returning mine, but I am going to now. I had a little bit of dust under the screen, nothing too bad. But now it looks like someone took a handfull of sand and tossed it under my screen. There is dust all in the middle and down the the bottom left corner. Its very annoying to look at the screen.
    01-02-09 09:59 PM
    Sure seems like a lot of people are having problems getting Storms replaced the last few days.

I think Verizon/RIM is getting inundated and are getting sick of it.

It's no wonder when you read all of the replacement posts, where people are getting 2,3,4 replacements.
    I disagree.

I got my first replacement last week and VZ didn't hesitate to issue a replacement. That one had a screen problem and today I called VZ again to get a replacement and they didn't hesitate. They were however out of stock til Monday so I went to the local VZ store and they didn't hesitate to give me a new one.

They know that if its a hardware problem and under warranty they have no choice.

01-02-09 10:09 PM
    It's funny how some people will put up with sub-par crap. The people who returned their Storms have every right to try and get the perfect storm. Mine was freezing up EVERYTIME I tried to video. The replacement that I got does not. Should I have waited for the kinks to get "ironed out"?! BS! They put out a product that I believe will eventually get "ironed out" for some but I think it's a combination of software AND hardware problems and right now a lot of units are POS's. Dust under the screen, click problems, and imho the video freezing won't get fixed with software patches. THEY (Verizon) should have to deal with it, not us.

01-02-09 10:12 PM
    Well, I feel lucky since my Storm, although not perfect, does not lock up, reboot or freeze. No dust under the screen, the accerlometer lags, but I haven't noticed anything major. The only 'issue' I have is that sometimes it doesn't want to use my bluetooth headset, so I push the button on the headset and it comes on. Oh yeah, I have it set to auto on/off and when it turns on, the radio (ie phone) is still off until I enable it manually.

What tests can I run on this to see if its working properly?
    01-02-09 10:15 PM
    So when you have it replaced is it Verizon's responsibility or do you have pay the $50 through Asurion insurance?
    01-02-09 10:20 PM
    What do you mean by a temp fee? Will you be reimbursed for that? Do they give you a brand new Storm or is it a refurbished one? Is there any price for the replacements up through the 15th?
    01-02-09 10:25 PM
    got my storm mid december. No major problems. I've seen the camera come up and not go away. Usually if I lock the screen or not touch it(let it fade to black) and then click again, it fixes it. The accelerometer does seem to be a bit slow but I'm faithful the updates will fix this. I went to VZW store to get my navigation activated and everything works great. Guess I'm a lucky one?
    01-02-09 10:26 PM
    depends on what you did to it if u have to pay 50 or not
    01-02-09 10:26 PM
    some people have to pay a temp 550-250$ up front and then reimbursed after u send back the phone
    01-02-09 10:27 PM
    im on my 2nd replacement and i wish i would of just returned the phone and went back to my curve on sprint before the 30 day period was up.

the accelerometer doesn't know what its doing. my phone is constantly stuck in a side view mode when its perfectly up straight.

it turns off randomly.

the keyboard is not calibrated correctly. often ill type something and its pressing another key

its beyond ridiculous i have to keep a cut up business card behind my battery for the screen to click right

the sounds ( alerts etc ) randomly stop working

the phone is dead or near dead before 1 pm

it slows down to a crawl when ever its receiving data.

the phone is slow and the fade effects are horrible bandaid at trying to make it look cool and smooth

the browser is SLOW

visual voicemail constantly stops working ( now i just press check for new messages )

its pretty dumb i have to have a 3rd party screen lock application just to be able to make a call with out muting it or doing many other stupid things ( yes i hold the phone with my cheeks sometimes but guess what. im not going to hold it lightly and have it fall and drop and break )

and theres more but i dont care anymore.. i was hoping a software update would make the phone work better but its more than apparent Verizon is going to put them out nice and slow and simply reject peoples claims to get a replacement phone because in fact they are all crap.

i really dont care to see anyones reply sticking up for the phone. i have 5 friends with the phone and we all have the same problems.. you are a crack addict in denial if you think this phone is ready for prime time.
    01-02-09 10:28 PM
    At the risk of taking away from Lou Gehrig's famous speech, I am beginning to feel like the luckiest man on the face of the earth. I have had my Storm for about a month now and have not had any of the problems discussed in this thread. In fact, I am completely satisfied with my Storm and wouldn't dream of switching back to my old BB Curve.

Al
    01-02-09 10:33 PM
93 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD