Man, I love this phone. My current one has given me exactly 0 problems when it comes to screen click, OS speed, battery life, or anything but... My "End" button popped off.

So, I requested a replacement and they got me a new-in-the-box unit. Everything about is is perfect, upon inspection. It runs fast, the screen is almost more responsive than my current one. I switched everything over and let it charge for 12 hours then unhooked it. 10 hours later, it still shows 100 percent battery. You would think I would be ecstatic. You would almost be right...

THERE IS AN F-ING CHIP OUT OF THE EDGE OF THE SCREEN!

Seriously, I just want to cry but all I can do is shake my head and laugh. Has anyone else in the entire world gotten one with a chipped screen straight from the factory?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-08 09:25 PM

THERE IS AN F-ING CHIP OUT OF THE EDGE OF THE SCREEN!

Seriously, I just want to cry but all I can do is shake my head and laugh. Has anyone else in the entire world gotten one with a chipped screen straight from the factory?

No, but I can tell you that not every phone they claim as "new" is such. I remember my first BB, about four years ago. Got it home, powered it up, and the first thing I noticed was that the phone was named "Mike's Phone". (for those wondering, this was in the User section where you're allowed to name your device).

This was after I specifically asked the Verizon guy if it was a new phone, or refurbished. Yes, I'm a skeptic.

Anyway, phones do not chip themselves. So either the QC guy at the plant was out that day, or your phone's got some previous experience.
    12-26-08 06:11 AM
    That is possible, I suppose. On an ironic note, all the numbers pertaining to manufacture under the battery match my original phone, the battery is only one lot number higher, and the date on the box is the same. So, the replacement they sent 3 weeks later was most likely made in the same factory on the same day as my original. What are the odds, right?

12-26-08 09:10 AM
    I also got a replacement Storm that wasn't new. Verizon said it was but when I booted it up it had some other dude's phone number in it. So yeah, they lie when it comes to new vs refurbished.
    12-28-08 07:53 AM
    the phones are replacements provided by the manufacture. they device could be new...or could be refurbed. it's impossible to tell...but i'd say with the device being so new....most warranty replacements should be new devices. within the first 30 days the phone is replaced with a new out of the box.
    12-28-08 01:01 PM
    there needs to be a better way to assure quality to consumers... this is most disturbing... a chipped screen. how was this missed? it's the part of the Storm that is being showcased and advertised. It seems like I'm more worried about RIM's reputation than they are. C'mon QC!
    12-28-08 01:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD