05-22-09 08:36 AM
30 12
tools
    Indeed, and it's why Palm gave up and went with Windows Mobile years back when they realized that Palm OS didn't really adapt very well.

Maybe RIM should think about doing something similar.
    they couldnt possibly do it soon enough. Java is TERRIBLE imo

but their infrastructure is so thick by now that im sure it would be a complete mess to try to retrofit
    05-21-09 09:22 PM
    To the OP, your not crazy, the Storm is a polished turd 4 sure. Denile is not just a river in Egypt, it is a hallmark of the CB Storm forums.
    05-21-09 09:46 PM
    they couldnt possibly do it soon enough. Java is TERRIBLE imo

but their infrastructure is so thick by now that im sure it would be a complete mess to try to retrofit
    By Java I assume you mean their version of it, which is different. For the primary functions I need it for though, it's still working pretty well, though infrastructure failures are becoming more and more common.

In this difficult economy I suspect that all the carriers are in a tough spot.They're trying to please everybody, including kids with no money and corporations with strangled budgets. They should stop doing that, IMO, and target users with specific needs a bit more.

As much as I like what Verizon does well, I'm still a Blackberry guy because of RIM and Verizon's vast 3G network. I've seen Verizon's own email and web offerings and they're pretty bad, Blackberry is the ONLY way to go on Verizon if you need reliable and fast email, which I do.

I also don't personally know anyone who gives a crap about V-Cast and their version of Rhapsody. For the record, I have my own Rhapsody To Go account and a Sandisk player that I enjoy every day. But it's useless on a smart phone and just adds to the cost (I have exactly the same feeling about the iPhone - I have a lot of friends with iPhones but they universally use their iPods for music).

Save it for the toy phones, don't layer it on to the Blackberry's, it's just a waste of time and money, and the economics aren't favorable.

BTW, unfortunately I had enough time to play with most of VZW's activated cell phones yesterday. Many of them are quite nice, if you don't need email, web, or anything more than voice and basic texting. If you just want a voice phone that works everywhere, they have a lot to offer at very good prices. Years ago, their phone choices were a wasteland, but they've gotten much better recently. Not world class, just a lot better.

Too bad the Storm is so bad that they're having a two for one special now. My thinking was that I'd figure it out then get her one free, since her contract has run out. She was very much interested until I handed it to her and said "call the house phone."

Granted, she's a technophobe who can barely deal with a digital toaster oven, but seriously. I had to coach her just to use the phone feature. But she can't do anything on my Curve without my intervention, which is a bonus for me, not a flaw.
    05-22-09 05:37 AM
    be thankful that you only have to pay 35 dollars to go back to another phone..
    Agree, but I am sorry you have had a bad experience. From what I can gather each phone is slightly different (tell me how that works!). that being said, I was having trouble with my first Storm, went to Verizon and they gave me a brand new one and this one is great. Did you ask for a new Storm?
    05-22-09 08:33 AM
    By Java I assume you mean their version of it, which is different. For the primary functions I need it for though, it's still working pretty well, though infrastructure failures are becoming more and more common.

In this difficult economy I suspect that all the carriers are in a tough spot.They're trying to please everybody, including kids with no money and corporations with strangled budgets. They should stop doing that, IMO, and target users with specific needs a bit more.

As much as I like what Verizon does well, I'm still a Blackberry guy because of RIM and Verizon's vast 3G network. I've seen Verizon's own email and web offerings and they're pretty bad, Blackberry is the ONLY way to go on Verizon if you need reliable and fast email, which I do.

I also don't personally know anyone who gives a crap about V-Cast and their version of Rhapsody. For the record, I have my own Rhapsody To Go account and a Sandisk player that I enjoy every day. But it's useless on a smart phone and just adds to the cost (I have exactly the same feeling about the iPhone - I have a lot of friends with iPhones but they universally use their iPods for music).

Save it for the toy phones, don't layer it on to the Blackberry's, it's just a waste of time and money, and the economics aren't favorable.

BTW, unfortunately I had enough time to play with most of VZW's activated cell phones yesterday. Many of them are quite nice, if you don't need email, web, or anything more than voice and basic texting. If you just want a voice phone that works everywhere, they have a lot to offer at very good prices. Years ago, their phone choices were a wasteland, but they've gotten much better recently. Not world class, just a lot better.

Too bad the Storm is so bad that they're having a two for one special now. My thinking was that I'd figure it out then get her one free, since her contract has run out. She was very much interested until I handed it to her and said "call the house phone."

Granted, she's a technophobe who can barely deal with a digital toaster oven, but seriously. I had to coach her just to use the phone feature. But she can't do anything on my Curve without my intervention, which is a bonus for me, not a flaw.

Actually VZW is having a "buy any Blackberry and get one free". It is not just for the Storm. I added my fiance onto my plan and got her a Curve, for free.
    05-22-09 08:36 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD