Instead, I have to pay VZW $35 to return my new Storm back and re-activate my Curve.

Main reason is time. Ironically, the Curve had a relatively short learning curve, about 3-4 hours. Never called tech support and never updated the OS except for the one official release during the year that I had it. Which did nothing because it worked fine out of the box, after a bit of personal tweaking.

I've had the Storm now for 13 hours, most of it spent trying to make it do anything at all. An hour of that was on the line with tech support because many things that should have worked didn't at all. I even updated it to the latest beta OS, hoping that would help. It didn't, in fact I can't tell the slightest difference from what it came with.

Usability issues aside, the RF performance is awful. It just doesn't seem to know what tower to use; the signal strength wobbles back and forth between 1 bar, 3 bars, no coverage at all, then 5 bars and the cycle repeats. While sitting still in my home office. Tech support said it was common but couldn't say why.

Using it while driving around town was an experience too. I haven't seen RF performance this bad on a Verizon device since 4 or 5 phones ago (one of the early LG's). Weak spots that don't bother the Curve dropped calls on the Storm. OS .148 didn't help with that either.

I really, really wanted to like this phone! And I tried VERY hard to make it work for me before hitting too many insurmountable roadblocks that are just endemic to the core design of both the hardware and the software, and were killing my productivity. Honestly, I couldn't find a single feature I couldn't get at and use more quickly and easier (and more safely while driving) than I can with the Curve.

I will say that it's the best full touch screen device that Verizon currently has though. But that's like saying it's the best 3-legged horse they have. And I'm glad that it works well for so many of you, but I have a business to run and this just gets in the way. It's not even a very good toy, at least compared to iPhone. I don't really know what it is, to be honest.

The end. Now I can sleep.
    Last edited by kwsmithphoto; 05-21-09 at 04:05 AM.
    05-21-09 04:02 AM
    be thankful that you only have to pay 35 dollars to go back to another phone..
    05-21-09 05:07 AM
    be thankful that you only have to pay 35 dollars to go back to another phone..
    i don't think any client of a company should be thankful that they're only getting screwed a little and not a lot
    05-21-09 08:00 AM
    Sorry to hear about your experience with the Storm. I agree that the phone is far from perfect...far from even decent to be honest. I really wanted to like mine too.

I don't understand why Verizon charged you $35 to go back to the storm - couldn't you reactivate it online?
    05-21-09 08:19 AM
    Instead, I have to pay VZW $35 to return my new Storm back and re-activate my Curve.

Main reason is time. Ironically, the Curve had a relatively short learning curve, about 3-4 hours. Never called tech support and never updated the OS except for the one official release during the year that I had it. Which did nothing because it worked fine out of the box, after a bit of personal tweaking.
    This is probably the true reason. It is not a devices fault that your learning curve is longer than with other devices. My transition was really short. What was all that different from any other BB??? Nothing really. I think that things are very similar to the other devices in the BB line of products.
    05-21-09 09:36 AM
    Sorry to hear about your experience with the Storm. I agree that the phone is far from perfect...far from even decent to be honest. I really wanted to like mine too.

I don't understand why Verizon charged you $35 to go back to the storm - couldn't you reactivate it online?
    Yea dude you kinda screwed yourself. All you had to do was *228 option 3 from your Curve and you coulda sold your Storm for $250-300 then taken your wife to dinner, a movie, and putt putt.

Hope you can still sleep now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-09 09:47 AM
    13 WHOLE hours?

woa... slow down, that's over HALF a day with a new device with a brand new interface that you're not used to!!

of 13 hours doesn't do it, man, nothing will
    05-21-09 11:58 AM
    Anyone who could spend 13 hours with the storm and not be able to make it do anything should not own any "smart" phone.

The key to owning such a device is that the owner must be smarter than the phone. In your case I suggest a Motorola Star-tac.
    05-21-09 12:07 PM
    If you go back to your old equipment there is no re stocking fee only if you exchange to get a different device.....but you also said using it while driving....in CA that's illegal I hope you mean hands free.... My best friend died in a car wreck while texting....Also, try replacing at the store for a new one or actually put more time in with it at least a couple days....

05-21-09 12:10 PM

They told me when I bought it there would be a $35 re-stocking fee if I returned it. But it didn't come up on the computer at the store so the net cost was zero.

We're having dinner tomorrow night.
    05-21-09 12:54 PM
    It does not take long to figure out that the Storm is a turd, hopefully the get it together with the "Storm 2".
    05-21-09 01:03 PM
    Anyone who could spend 13 hours with the storm and not be able to make it do anything should not own any "smart" phone.

The key to owning such a device is that the owner must be smarter than the phone. In your case I suggest a Motorola Star-tac.
    One of the most idiotic things i've read on here. The OP has already been using a Curve so they are use to using a Blackberry and a smartphone. If you have to search the forums and call the techs right out the box to get the crap working then the device is crap. Without CB, some of the users on here wouldn't have kept the Storm. And without leaked OS damn near everyone on here would have given up. VZW should hand out CB flyers to everyone that buys a Storm because without CB, it's almost unbearable and the tech don't know a thing. The Storm just stinks and is a piece of junk. I'm glad they're replacing it so soon and changing the hardware. They knew the Storm 1 was crap. Now all they need to do is make the the 2nd has a good OS at RELEASE.
    05-21-09 01:23 PM
    Yea dude you kinda screwed yourself. All you had to do was *228 option 3 from your Curve and you coulda sold your Storm for $250-300 then taken your wife to dinner, a movie, and putt putt.

Hope you can still sleep now.

That was a good one. That made me literally made me laugh out load. Now that's funny
    05-21-09 01:27 PM
    One of the most idiotic things i've read on here. The OP has already been using a Curve so they are use to using a Blackberry and a smartphone. If you have to search the forums and call the techs right out the box to get the crap working then the device is crap. Without CB, some of the users on here wouldn't have kept the Storm. And without leaked OS damn near everyone on here would have given up. VZW should hand out CB flyers to everyone that buys a Storm because without CB, it's almost unbearable and the tech don't know a thing. The Storm just stinks and is a piece of junk. I'm glad they're replacing it so soon and changing the hardware. They knew the Storm 1 was crap. Now all they need to do is make the the 2nd has a good OS at RELEASE.
    ohh look it's the saaaame hate we see in every thread spewing the same tired excuses.

No offense to the OP was intended, but man when dealing with new tech, 13 hours with ANY device is just not a long time.

Whether he liked it or not is up to him. He could spend 2 minutes with it and hate it, and his decision would be just as valid. Just as his opinion is valid.

The reason for my post was that there just could be a LOT that a person can miss by not even spending a full day with a device (especially a device with an input method that is DRASTICALLY different than what someone might be used to).

You DONT have to search and figure out all this stuff. there are MANNY MANY PEOPLE who are JUST FINE AND HAPPY with the storm with os .75, but hey, it's different for everyone

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just found it funny that it was just 13 hours as opposed to a day or a week. Good to see you sticking around the storm forums though, that's fun. your personal vendetta against plastic is amusing

and when you buy and then complain about the storm2 and hang around its forums spewing the hate it will be just as much fun
    Last edited by kinggeoff; 05-21-09 at 01:45 PM.
    05-21-09 01:42 PM
    ohh look it's the saaaame hate we see in every thread spewing the same tired excuses.

No offense to the OP was intended, but man when dealing with new tech, 13 hours with ANY device is just not a long time.

Whether he liked it or not is up to him. He could spend 2 minutes with it and hate it, and his decision would be just as valid. Just as his opinion is valid.

The reason for my post was that there just could be a LOT that a person can miss by not even spending a full day with a device (especially a device with an input method that is DRASTICALLY different than what someone might be used to).

You DONT have to search and figure out all this stuff. there are MANNY MANY PEOPLE who are JUST FINE AND HAPPY with the storm with os .75, but hey, it's different for everyone

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just found it funny that it was just 13 hours as opposed to a day or a week. Good to see you sticking around the storm forums though, that's fun. your personal vendetta against plastic is amusing

and when you buy and then complain about the storm2 and hang around its forums spewing the hate it will be just as much fun

FYI, I don't buy and complain about anything. I take ish back. It's funny around here reading all the whiners and then the apologists flaming the whiners because the Storm sucks and they don't want to admit it. And just like I told you in the other thread, I'm happy to stick around and see the Storm defenders make themselves look like fools on a daily basis. "Verzion needs to update the OS! It's very laggy, my web browser takes forever loading pages, I drop more calls now than ever, I LOVE MY STORM but VZW is really frustrating me". Only apologists and fan boy would be in love with a device that cause them frustration on a minute by minute basis. And that's pure comedy. Did you think you need to have a Storm presently to come to the Storm forum? Oh shoot, I haven't had a Curve since last June, guess I can't go there either. So I'll stick around to laugh at the Storm 1 owners when the Storm 2 is dropped just to see the constant flame wars. Where else would you go on CB for such comedy.... NOWHERE. Thank you.
    05-21-09 02:00 PM
    Scorpiodsu, your signatures are pure comedy. I'm with scorpiodsu and all the other non-RIM/VZW "stans" around here.
    05-21-09 02:16 PM

Thank you for the insult, I almost forgot how many prix are floating around here.

FWIW, I spend my life merging technology and art as a photographer and recording engineer. I had my first email address in 1986, on my first computer that was an MS-DOS laptop, specifically so I could go online. So in terms of technology I pick it up faster and get more out of it than most people do. And if you can figure out MS-DOS 3.x, you can figure out virtually anything.

I did figure out the Storm - just well enough to realize it mostly sucked.

The other elements of time were the time spent with tech support, time spent loading the newest OS, and time spent trying to get my apps working on the new phone (one didn't). I also wasted much time trying to use the web browser - it's not very good for either mobile sites or regular sites, the behavior is just way too unpredictable and awkward (cursor mode, zoom, shift, etc.). I checked some threads here and found a whole lot of people with the same gripe so it isn't just me.

But the most important thing about time is the time it takes to do pretty much anything at all. iPhones have the same problem in many ways, so it's not just a Storm thing, but here's a quick example:

On my Curve I can simply tap the space bar to wake up the screen, then start typing a name from the home screen until the person I want to reach shows up, flick the trackball down to the number and call with one click (or use the menu button to contact them in other ways), all with one hand. And I figured that out in the first 5 minutes of using the thing. BTW, I think a trackball would be a good addition to the Storm, for a number of reasons.

I did spend some time at the store trying 2 different storms and was a little concerned about the accuracy and general feel of the screen. Sales person assured me that a boxed phone wouldn't be like that. Unfortunately, it was exactly like that.

Basically, it's just has a very clunky interface that needs two hands to do pretty much anything, and a VERY careful swipe/select+press to do what you intended. Typing portrait mode was incredibly sloppy but typing in landscape mode leaves very little space for actual words. All of this wastes time, and all three phones were identical in that regard so it's a design issue.

And just a general peeve, I hate the way it switches to landscape mode when you set it down. Not a productivity killer, just annoying. And a sign of bad hardware design.

As a photographer, I really enjoyed the way my images displayed on the screen, it's the main reason I wanted one! But as a user of technology, the media app itself is just as bad as the Curve's. Familiar enough, but why copy such an awful thing?

Also, as a recording engineer too, I didn't care for the incoming audio quality, and the voicemails I left on the land line sounded even worse than the Curve (which does not have good audio).

Anyway, I gave it a serious shot and like I said, I really wanted to like it, which is why I tried so hard to make it work for me. But I also have enough experience with digital technology and usability issues to realize that the Storm just wasn't going to work for me.

Maybe with a completely re-designed OS, interface, and new hardware for decent RF performance and more overall speed with less battery drain, it could be a great device. Not holding my breath for any major improvements in the Storm 2, since I don't think it will have any, it's just too soon. Personally, I feel that it basically needs a complete re-thinking from the ground up that will take years, but that's just my opinion.

BTW, my first cell phone was an analog Star-Tac. I still have it.
    05-21-09 02:16 PM
    This is probably the true reason. It is not a devices fault that your learning curve is longer than with other devices. My transition was really short. What was all that different from any other BB??? Nothing really. I think that things are very similar to the other devices in the BB line of products.
    Really? It's more like a cartoon copy of the BB user paradigm that doesn't suit a touchscreen device very well, IMO. Works very well on their regular devices though. I think maybe they tried to hard to keep it consistent...but that actually made things worse. Just a thought, glad you're happy with your Storm.
    05-21-09 02:21 PM
    Really? It's more like a cartoon copy of the BB user paradigm that doesn't suit a touchscreen device very well, IMO. Works very well on their regular devices though. I think maybe they tried to hard to keep it consistent...but that actually made things worse. Just a thought, glad you're happy with your Storm.
    i think you hit the nail on the head

the storm really needed its own properly developed unique OS. They were trying to keep the crowd but expand it... cant have your cake and eat it too

good point sir!
    05-21-09 02:22 PM
    Scorpiodsu, your signatures are pure comedy. I'm with scorpiodsu and all the other non-RIM/VZW "stans" around here.
    Yeah some of fav quotes by some of my fav Storm users. It's a lot of good material around here.
    05-21-09 02:24 PM
    Yeah some of fav quotes by some of my fav Storm users. It's a lot of good material around here.
    Great quotes in your signature Scorpiodsu. The last one is my favorite CB clown. Always comedy around here.
    05-21-09 02:49 PM
    This....i agree with you on. People who keep it then b!tch about it annoy me....except the corporates that can't change the OS. I've never said anything negative like that about the phone. I admit its not perfect but for me its fine. No hardware issues. VERY minimal software issues. And as far as comedy...that's what these threads have turned into. I get my serious info from other sites now, but i plop in here off and on for a good laugh!

Yup. When I read some of the titles to a thread my eyes light up because all I know it's gonna turn into a flame throwing contest and whiners and apologist going back and forth. It's hilarious. What makes it even more funny is that both side makes sense, it just depends on which side you are on that will determine who you are annoyed with the most LOL.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 05-21-09 at 03:25 PM.
    05-21-09 03:22 PM
    FYI, I don't buy and complain about anything. I take ish back. It's funny around here reading all the whiners and then the apologists flaming the whiners because the Storm sucks and they don't want to admit it. And just like I told you in the other thread, I'm happy to stick around and see the Storm defenders make themselves look like fools on a daily basis. "Verzion needs to update the OS! It's very laggy, my web browser takes forever loading pages, I drop more calls now than ever, I LOVE MY STORM but VZW is really frustrating me". Only apologists and fan boy would be in love with a device that cause them frustration on a minute by minute basis. And that's pure comedy. Did you think you need to have a Storm presently to come to the Storm forum? Oh shoot, I haven't had a Curve since last June, guess I can't go there either. So I'll stick around to laugh at the Storm 1 owners when the Storm 2 is dropped just to see the constant flame wars. Where else would you go on CB for such comedy.... NOWHERE. Thank you.

nah it's not that you can't come here, it's just funny how many non-storm users hang around the storm forums months after they've "abandoned" the device and continue to post about how they couldn't stand it, yet can't seem to stop talking about it

I enjoy flame wars too (there have been some hilarious times around here), it's just sad to see the same users starting threads about how they "still" hate the storm, about how storm1 users are suckers, bold/curve/toasteroven is amazing, etc etc. It feels like the storm went to their house and raped their family while making them watch while the CEOs of RIM and VZW smoke cigars and laugh maniacally or something...it's just a device, but it seems to have spurred users into a personal grudge against it. And are determined to prove that no one could possibly ever like it even if it printed money. Not all of us are frustrated but it would be cool if it printed money

forgive me if i blew up in that other post i didnt mean to sound so harsh, reading back on it...i was quite a ****, been a trying day at work
    05-21-09 03:34 PM
    nah it's not that you can't come here, it's just funny how many non-storm users hang around the storm forums months after they've "abandoned" the device and continue to post about how they couldn't stand it, yet can't seem to stop talking about it

I enjoy flame wars too (there have been some hilarious times around here), it's just sad to see the same users starting threads about how they "still" hate the storm, about how storm1 users are suckers, bold/curve/toasteroven is amazing, etc etc. It feels like the storm went to their house and raped their family while making them watch while the CEOs of RIM and VZW smoke cigars and laugh maniacally or something...it's just a device, but it seems to have spurred users into a personal grudge against it. And are determined to prove that no one could possibly ever like it even if it printed money. Not all of us are frustrated but it would be cool if it printed money

forgive me if i blew up in that other post i didnt mean to sound so harsh, reading back on it...i was quite a ****, been a trying day at work
    Naw man, you're cool. I agree, some people take things too personally especially when it comes to their blackberry/iphone. To me it isn't all that serious. Either you like and keep it or you don't and get rid of it.... to me it's just that simple. It's still funny to read the users that are so frustrated, but they claim they love it and conversely, those that hate it but can't find a way to get rid of it. I just hang around for the fun of it. All the other sections are filled with people asking the same questions as last year and the year before. It's pure laughs here. And sometime you get to debate serious things here, but sooner or later someone else will jump in a start the flaming. There is where it's at!
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 05-21-09 at 03:55 PM.
    05-21-09 03:53 PM
    i think you hit the nail on the head

the storm really needed its own properly developed unique OS. They were trying to keep the crowd but expand it... cant have your cake and eat it too

good point sir!
    Indeed, and it's why Palm gave up and went with Windows Mobile years back when they realized that Palm OS didn't really adapt very well.

Maybe RIM should think about doing something similar.
    05-21-09 03:58 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD