11-21-08 04:20 PM
42 12
tools
    I'm also passing on it. I played with one for about 20 minutes today and I really don't like typing on it. The unit I was using was extremely slow too and the accelerometer worked when it felt like it. Like most of you, I've been following this thing for months and was planning on making it my first BB but I think I'm going to go with a Curve next week.
    11-21-08 02:20 PM
    well at least my girlfriend won't ignore me now for years on end with that stupid POS storm.... glad she knows it sucks! Can we go get food, now? : )
    muah

ps...im sorry that its a toss up between u and by BB.....
    11-21-08 02:21 PM
    I'm glad someone started this thread...I am a small biz IT consultant, so i deal with every handheld out there. I was a die hard Win Mobile guy resistant to BB. I finally got a WE-BB and wish I had done it years ago, then I opted for the Curve. Lately I had been on the fence about the Iphone with exchange support, but didnt go there. I have been sitting on the edge of my seat for the storm...I also stopped by the store today, played with it for 10 minutes, put it down and involuntarily said out loud, "what the f**k" and walked away...I cant tolerate lag in the least anymore, the typing was a challenge, and I would agree with boygenius review that the buttons on the edges need a more decisive press. firmware fix or not, i will wait for storm gen2. My curve is just so damn responsive it makes me all tingly inside!!!

also, not to push the thread in other directions, but I was wondering how one handing typing fairs next to the curve or WE.

Rod
    11-21-08 02:26 PM
    I passed too. The Storm sounded great on paper, I was even ready to trade in my Curve that I have had for exactly 33 days and love dearly....I've been a Verizon customer for about 6 years now and I was sure that they would let me slide with a swap, my wife and I pulled the trigger a little too soon and both upgraded to Curves 33 days ago, but they said "No deal" no exceptions and suggested I pay an early termination fee and get the Storm by mail on Monday because they wanted to save their in store phones for "customers" that didn't currently have a phone ???? What a crock !! I've been a loyal customer and they feed me this line of #%@^.......anyway, back to my original point. While all of this was going on in the store I had my hands on a Storm and by the time "the powers that be" had found me "not Storm worthy" I had already decided that I was perfectly happy with my Curve. The Storm was extremely sluggish. The screen just felt weird every time I pushed to click, it felt like it was going to break, something I'm sure you could get used to. The accelerometer was the biggest annoyance of all, I would say that it barely works and I spent most of my test drive trying to get the screen oriented so I could do something (apparently it likes to be held perfectly straight up and down).
    So, all in all, Verizon managed to screw up a potentially great phone and alienate a loyal customer. Not a good day for Verizon or RIM......thinking about paying that early termination fee and going to get myself a new Bold (the best Blackberry made to date)
    11-21-08 02:27 PM
    I agree with most of you!! I went to Verizon Store this morning and was playing around with the demo. It was very slow to navigate, just like I saw on many Youtube video reviews. In may case, my contract is 5 mos old and not upgradable at the time. I was considering to purchase for $499, but it just doesn't seem worth it right now, especially reading this forum and seeing how many apps I use are not working. Still with Verizon and BB Curve, will have to stick with it until they work out the kinks and may be a price drop would be nice.
    11-21-08 02:33 PM
    I'm not passing just yet. I want to get my own and try it out for a little while. I kept telling myself that all the reviews were wrong and that the OS updates would be instantaneous/helpful, but I'm starting to doubt myself a little bit now.

I used one in the store (.65) and like everyone said, it was sluggish and slow. When I hit www and clicked to put in a website, it took about 4 seconds for the keyboard to come up. When I was watching a video, the clock randomly came on. I LIKED the typing and found it quite fun. However, the accelerometer was quite slow too. Everything seemed to not be a fast transition. It even took a little while to get in the messages box.

I'm still going to try and get one and play with it for a while, but we'll have to see.
    11-21-08 02:35 PM
    I played around with one, and decided to stick with what I have.

I have reached a point where a phone had better blow my current phone COMPLETELY out f the water for me to upgrade to it. That just didn't happen.

I am happy for all those with there new devices though... the excitement is contagious...
    11-21-08 02:37 PM
    I myself have been thinking of upgrading my 8703e in for a storm. After reading these posts I will hold back on the decicion for a while. Though I still want to try one for myself just need to find one in Canada to play with.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 02:50 PM
    +1.

I've been with Verizon 6+ years, and for the last few months, have waited patiently on the Storm. I cracked the screen on my old KRZR a few months ago, and it works about 25%, so it's been **** waiting on this phone.

Got up early and went to the store. Played with the phone for a lonnnng time (I think I pissed some people off). I was very disappointed.

Same stuff everyone here said. Just very laggy. I thought the keyboard was okay, but to be honest it just didn't seem better than most other touchscreen keyboards (iphone, etc). The apps worked and all... but I don't know. There just wasn't anything super great about the phone. Like some have said, it's like it's not as good at typing as a physical keyboard, yet not as good at touchscreen stuff as the iphone. It was all just disappointing. On the plus side, the form factor was very nice. The screen did occasionally feel loose and cheap, though.

I went across the street and played with the iphone and the Bold again for the 50th time in the last few months. I like them both better than the Storm.

As with others, I started to realize in the past week or two that the Storm wasn't going to live up to the hype. I don't know what to do now, exactly. There aren't really any other VZW phones that excite me... the Curve is old and boring now. As much as I love VZW's network, I think I am going to buy the Bold and port over to AT&T. If it's so bad after a month that I can't take it, I'll maybe go back. But right now I really don't see OS updates fixing the Storm. Yeah, maybe small tweaks, but the fundamental performance is going to stay the same.

Well, anyway, that's my $0.02. I really wanted to like the Storm. But even given all the hype, excitement, and my imminently pressing need for a new phone, I can't in good conscience bring myself to buy the Storm. Maybe the Storm mk. II will be better.
    11-21-08 03:20 PM
    Holden's got it right, and I truly believe that the people who claim to be completely enamored with the Storm in its current released state are either 1) true die-hard BB addicts that would love anything with a BB label on it or 2) people who won't get an iPhone because they're either Apple haters or AT&T haters and have thus reserved themselves to the fact that this is the best alternative to the iPhone currently on the market. I admit, that the Storm is the best current alternative to the iPhone, but in its current state is doesn't reach the benchmark set by Apple.
    I'm an AT&T hater.
    I'm an iPhone hater.
    I'm definitely an Apple hater. iTunes is damn near a virus.

But I still think I'm about to get an iPhone after being so disappointed with the Storm. I need something I can check email on, but don't need the email to be overly powerful. I need something I can have fun with. And I need something that isn't a complete hassle to type on.

iPhone might be it. If not, the Bold, I guess. I feel dirty leaving Verizon... maybe that new Samsung with WiFi will be priced to compete, but I doubt it. It'll probably be near Bold priced, and I'd definitely switch for the Bold over the new Samsung.
    11-21-08 03:29 PM
    Same here. Just got a bold for free (after rebates) on AT&T. I figure if the Storm gets better in the future I will buy an unlocked GSM version and just put my AT&T sim card in it.
    How did you get it for free?
    I thought it was $299 after rebate.
    If I could get it for free I'd have it tomorrow.
    11-21-08 03:30 PM
    Good for u, more power to ya!!! U would love the iPhone!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 03:33 PM
    I agree with everyone's negativity here. I guess it's not for everyone, but it's not even really that... because it's not like oh, I don't like the touchscreen idea, it's just the overall feel of the interface and requirements for functions, I feel like I'm fighting it. It's like when you get in one car and you try to drive the wheels off of it and you just don't feel surefooted in it, then you get in another one and you just feel one with it and at peace at the limit.

Oh well, here's to looking forward to what the Niagra will bring us in the Spring.
    11-21-08 03:33 PM
    I agree with everyone's negativity here. I guess it's not for everyone, but it's not even really that... because it's not like oh, I don't like the touchscreen idea, it's just the overall feel of the interface and requirements for functions, I feel like I'm fighting it. It's like when you get in one car and you try to drive the wheels off of it and you just don't feel surefooted in it, then you get in another one and you just feel one with it and at peace at the limit.

Oh well, here's to looking forward to what the Niagra will bring us in the Spring.

Time for a whole new niagra forum? lol
    11-21-08 03:46 PM
    I'm an AT&T hater.
    I'm an iPhone hater.
    I'm definitely an Apple hater. iTunes is damn near a virus.

But I still think I'm about to get an iPhone after being so disappointed with the Storm. I need something I can check email on, but don't need the email to be overly powerful. I need something I can have fun with. And I need something that isn't a complete hassle to type on.

iPhone might be it. If not, the Bold, I guess. I feel dirty leaving Verizon... maybe that new Samsung with WiFi will be priced to compete, but I doubt it. It'll probably be near Bold priced, and I'd definitely switch for the Bold over the new Samsung.
    Honestly, if you were leaning toward a Storm and don't need the "over-powerful" email, get the iPhone. I have one and it really fits my needs.
    11-21-08 03:49 PM
    i also agree with everyone comment about the slowness of the storm. originally, i didn't want to say anything bad about it cuz i was afraid ppl would gang up on me.

but this bb is a doozy. i said pass. not only it is slow, it crash on me 4-5 times within 10 minutes of playing it in the store.
    Last edited by vincentnyc; 11-21-08 at 04:23 PM.
    11-21-08 04:00 PM
    IMO, Blackberry should just stick to what it knows, smart phones with real keyboards. The Storm's touchscreen reminds me of the screen on ATMs, something I know I don't want to deal with everyday. Also, pressing down on the screen to type is really tiring after a while. Touchscreens are great for browsing contacts or scrolling through menus and web pages, but not for typing, and with the current technology, they never will be. BB thought if they made a screen that acted like a big button it would make things better, instead it made things worse. The iPhone has probably the best screen to type on, in landscape mode that is, and even that is annoying at times. If BB can't make an iPhone killer than no one can. IMO, this was a failed experiment. Let the iPhone win and move onto devices your loyal customers can actually use. If BB releases another touch screen device, it should include a real keyboard as well as a touchscreen. Then we might get the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by m11stephen; 11-21-08 at 04:23 PM.
    11-21-08 04:20 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD