My S2 normally drains between .3 and 2% per hour. Today, I'm down to 25% in 12 hours. Bummer;, as Dragon works pretty well to dictate emails. Why does there always have to be a down side to just about everything?? (rhetorical)

Anyone else who has loaded D f E notice a severe drain on their battery?
    04-22-10 08:29 PM
    No, works fine for me. I'm monitoring it using MeterBerry.
    04-22-10 08:31 PM
    does it show constantly as an running app? it does on mine.
    04-22-10 08:34 PM
    how did you guys even get it to work ?
    04-22-10 08:35 PM
    pulled the battery after the installation.
    04-22-10 08:37 PM
    pulled the battery after the installation.
    will try that...thx
    04-22-10 09:00 PM
    Yes it is constantly running but so what? So are GMail and GTalk and they don't eat my battery.

Give it a couple of days - you said sometimes your battery goes down at 2%/hour anyway.
    04-22-10 09:24 PM
    Yes it is constantly running but so what? So are GMail and GTalk and they don't eat my battery.

Give it a couple of days - you said sometimes your battery goes down at 2%/hour anyway.
    yes, but at 2% I should have been at 75% by the end of the day (typical)--not 25%.

I'm going to let the phone charge for a couple hours (at least) after the green light has come on (which it's shockingly already done--it's turned green pretty quickly and shows 100% but I'm sure that's just a surface charge). My phone turns off by 10PM and comes out at 6:15AM. (I just remembered I also installed google maps 4.0.2 but I need to go back through the forum and see what day I installed it. I had G maps running for an hour or so today). Also, I noticed the battery was at 95% before 7AM, so perhaps I didn't get a full charge on it last night.
    Last edited by dave1812; 04-22-10 at 09:45 PM.
    04-22-10 09:38 PM
    I have no idea how your phone runs like that in the first place, do you have some kind of special battery?
    04-22-10 09:41 PM
    yes, but at 2% I should have been at 75% by the end of the day (typical)--not 25%.
    Oh, I misunderstood, thought you were down 25% to 75%. I'm not seeing anything like that on mine.
    04-22-10 09:42 PM
    I have no idea how your phone runs like that in the first place, do you have some kind of special battery?
    no. I run no utilities or themes. I use BBM, SMS, phone, pandora and internet, mostly. The best drain rate when I don't do a lot of any of the above, is right at .3%/hr. When I spend an hour or more on the phone, plus the other things I mentioned, drain rate for a 12-15 hour day is around 2%/hr as I've stated before. regular battery. but TODAY, either Dragon is causing me a problem, I didn't get the battery fully charged last night (doubtful but possible). Tomorrow will tell the tale as I will make SURE it's thoroughly charged tonight and shut off (as always) by the time I go to bed.
    04-22-10 09:49 PM
    Oh, I misunderstood, thought you were down 25% to 75%. I'm not seeing anything like that on mine.
    ah. ok. then with luck, dragon is not the culprit and i just didn't get a full charge on the phone last night. that's what I'm hoping for, because I love using voice dictation, especially as it's so darn accurate.
    04-22-10 09:52 PM
    I wish there was an app to show exactly what apps were running and what the battery usage was.
    04-22-10 10:01 PM
    kisses will tell you all apps running. I dont think you can ever say what app is using such and such amount of battery though
    04-22-10 10:16 PM
    I don't think it works on the 8330 curve.
    04-22-10 10:20 PM
    Kisses?

I think you need to get into the app making business!
    04-22-10 10:23 PM
    I think I am getting some additional drain from Dragon, but not anywhere near what you are reporting Dave. I generally run in the 2%/hr since upgrade to .607, but I am almost 4/hr today. I want to wait a few days before I judge. I cannot say the increase was from Dragon, since I was a little heavier on GTalk today.

The voice recognition is great. Just takes a little getting used to.
    04-22-10 10:35 PM
    I think I am getting some additional drain from Dragon, but not anywhere near what you are reporting Dave. I generally run in the 2%/hr since upgrade to .607, but I am almost 4/hr today. I want to wait a few days before I judge. I cannot say the increase was from Dragon, since I was a little heavier on GTalk today.

The voice recognition is great. Just takes a little getting used to.
    thanks. I'm going to give it at least another day. I've had my phone for a couple of months, so I'm pretty familiar with it's particular battery drain rate. It's currently been on the charger (phone OFF) for more than 2 hours since it began showing the green LED. tomorrow it turns on automatically around 6:15AM. I'll know before noon if there's something amiss.
    04-22-10 11:23 PM
    It's not looking good for Dragon: In just 2 hours and 20 minutes, my battery is now at 95%--before Dragon, it would be at 100%. I'll know for sure in another 3-5 hours if this app is the cause of an excessive battery drain, at which time I'll give feedback to Dragon.

UPDATE: phone has been on for 4:20 and its now at 90% so it's looking a bit more promising. that includes 20 minutes of playing Pandora and a 5 minute phone call. (but that still puts the drain rate above normal, for my phone)
    Last edited by dave1812; 04-23-10 at 11:11 AM.
    04-23-10 09:21 AM
    I have been in meetings most of the morning, so light BB use, and my drain is right at 2%/hour. Not bad. It is probably using a little more than normal, but not to the extent that I will need to dump it. That is good be cause I like it.

Off to find a thread about my theme. It is locking up on me when I go from landscape to portrait.
    04-23-10 11:57 AM
    I have been in meetings most of the morning, so light BB use, and my drain is right at 2%/hour. Not bad. It is probably using a little more than normal, but not to the extent that I will need to dump it. That is good be cause I like it.

Off to find a thread about my theme. It is locking up on me when I go from landscape to portrait.
    I'm at 6 hours and 90% so it's not doing too badly and I am in agreement that it's a cool app, so unless the drain is severe, I'll keep Dragon.
    04-23-10 12:45 PM
    UPDATE: 12 hours and holding at 70%. Therefore I think I'm good to go, with Dragon loaded on my S2.
    04-23-10 07:29 PM
    I've read and watched my own phone regarding the battery and I can live with the battery usage, but the loss of any ability to use the keyboard may wind up to be a deal killer. If any knows how to make the keyboard function with this app please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike
    04-23-10 08:02 PM
    I've read and watched my own phone regarding the battery and I can live with the battery usage, but the loss of any ability to use the keyboard may wind up to be a deal killer. If any knows how to make the keyboard function with this app please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike
    Mike, I mentioned earlier today how to resolve that issue. I'll find the post and copy/paste.

EDIT: It seems as if u let it process voice for a field, then go to the body of the email and say a phrase or sentence or two, you can type AFTER it has processed the text. Then, if you want, you can hold the convenience key again and say something else and then it processes and displays the text, again allowing the keyboard to work "in between" voice recognition events.

The trouble seems to occur when u are in an empty field. You have to process voice in a field, before getting the keyboard to respond. Therefore, I think I can live with it.

The biggest problem I see (as it stands now) is being unable to type in the "To" field, someone that's not in your contacts list.
    Last edited by dave1812; 04-23-10 at 08:19 PM.
    04-23-10 08:16 PM
    Mike, I mentioned earlier today how to resolve that issue. I'll find the post and copy/paste.

EDIT: It seems as if u let it process voice for a field, then go to the body of the email and say a phrase or sentence or two, you can type AFTER it has processed the text. Then, if you want, you can hold the convenience key again and say something else and then it processes and displays the text, again allowing the keyboard to work "in between" voice recognition events.

The trouble seems to occur when u are in an empty field. You have to process voice in a field, before getting the keyboard to respond. Therefore, I think I can live with it.

The biggest problem I see (as it stands now) is being unable to type in the "To" field, someone that's not in your contacts list.
    Thanks Dave, this makes the app a keeper until they update the app with a patch.
    04-23-10 08:44 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD