Game Changer?

How and why in this world is the Storm considered a Game Changer by some of you?

A Game Changer is someone or something that makes others think twice about their future developement. I don't see iPhone, Palm Pre, HTC touch devices using android, etc... all thinking twice about their future developement because they feel somewhat threatened and / or inspired by what RIM has done with the Storm.

Please elaborate

Kind Regards,
    Stormbot
    05-23-09 12:44 PM
    all the os they were leaked to us all had problems not one worked perfect the phone itself is bad and I can't justify it or praise it I won't drink the kool-aid.The curve worked way better and didnt freeze up every 5 seconds, no phone is going to be perfect but i want the phone to be at least 90% Rim dropped the ball if the storm 2 is as bad as the storm 1 bye bye rim for me.
    05-23-09 01:19 PM
    If I was right about the pressure sensativity of the new screen acting as a sort of press detection, what's the chance the guys at Engadget weren't pressing enough? Furthermore, what's the chance there's a setting for pressure sensativity on the phone and if set "too high", the press actually no longer registers (i.e. software glitch the engineers overlooked) and all they'd have to do is connect it to DM and wipe each of the databases and inturn the settings that were set too high, then reboot and boom... factory settings, with working TruePress. Just thinking out loud...
    you are not incorrect.
    05-23-09 02:36 PM
    Storm 1 was a great device that sold unto the millions. It was a game changer like it or not
    what are you talking about? A game changer
    ? That is one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever heard.

Are you even aware of what that phrase means?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-09 04:19 PM
    what are you talking about? A game changer
    ? That is one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever heard.

Are you even aware of what that phrase means?

I will more so agree with BMX's statement than not. The Storm did make other cell phone manufacturers step back and think for a bit. Although not perfected, SurePress did make an impact on the industry. After RIM patented it, sure enough Apple went out and patented something of the sort. The Pre was already in production, but you will see other devices in the future implement this technology in some shape or form.
    I will say in comparison to the Iphone, it's hard to say the Storm was a game changer, but it definitely made others stop and think a minute. The Storm does plenty the Iphone cannot. I'm not trying to get into that age old argument back and forth between the two, but **** the Iphone can't multitask. I mean to be such a great device, you can't run anything in the background. Yes it does accel in other areas. But the BlackBerry OS is one of the more complicated out of the bunch.
    Anyways, just wanted to make my point.
    05-23-09 04:37 PM
    CX...

your post in regards to "game changer" is weak to say the least. Noone stepped back and thought about it for a bit. Show me who, how and what are the results of this stepping back.

Just because Apple went out and patented something means absolutely nothing and it sounds very much like your clinging on straws here. Every successful company in this industry patents concepts left and right. Do you know how long Palm has been patenting things for? A very long time.

Kind Regards,
    Stormbot
    05-23-09 05:15 PM
    you are not incorrect.
    I like double negatives.
    05-23-09 05:24 PM
    CX...

your post in regards to "game changer" is weak to say the least. Noone stepped back and thought about it for a bit. Show me who, how and what are the results of this stepping back.

Just because Apple went out and patented something means absolutely nothing and it sounds very much like your clinging on straws here. Every successful company in this industry patents concepts left and right. Do you know how long Palm has been patenting things for? A very long time.

Kind Regards,
    Stormbot
    You're entitled to your opinion. Further more, your reply went no deeper than to simply say, no it isn't. I at least provided an example. The fact remains the Storm sold millions of units. And still is selling. As will the new device.
    You don't like it or don't think it was, fine. I don't care to argue. You have your opinion, as do others. That's the beauty of it. But I refuse to go back and forth about this. I'll continue back to my regular straw grasping. You have a great night.
    05-23-09 05:33 PM
    You're entitled to your opinion. Further more, your reply went no deeper than to simply say, no it isn't.
    To you, my reply might have been "no it isn't" but, I was in the perfect position to question your statement. Your opinion was not even close to good enough and it seems that it was blinded by "fanboyism". Think about it for a second. You said something first, I then question it. It's just how it works and whether or not my opinion is valid to you, it is up to you to convince me otherwise with proven facts of why your opinion is more valuable than mine. Judging from your last statements... you really have not proven anything.

So it still stands...Show me who, how and what are the results of this supposed "game changer".

P.S. your last statement said that rim made..."phone manufacturers step back and think for a bit". A bit is not good enough to change games.

Kind Regards,
    Stormbot
    05-23-09 05:51 PM
    To you, my reply might have been "no it isn't" but, I was in the perfect position to question your statement. Your opinion was not even close to good enough and it seems that it was blinded by "fanboyism". Think about it for a second. You said something first, I then question it. It's just how it works and whether or not my opinion is valid to you, it is up to you to convince me otherwise with proven facts of why your opinion is more valuable than mine. Judging from your last statements... you really have not proven anything.

So it still stands...Show me who, how and what are the results of this supposed "game changer".

P.S. your last statement said that rim made..."phone manufacturers step back and think for a bit". A bit is not good enough to change games.

Kind Regards,
    Stormbot

DUDE chill the **** out , serisouly ...... The storm is amazing , just because some people are too damn dumb to use a smartphone , *cough cough CK LOL , thats their fault , the storm can do everything and more. and if your saying its not a game change, your crazy, surepress alone was a game changer.
    05-23-09 07:42 PM
    With all due respect, it really was not. As CK and Stormbot asked, do you properly understand the concept of a game changer? I am not a fan of Apple, but they are the most obvious example. As of late when they introduce a new product, it literally changes the game. Look at the iPhone and its influence. WebOS looks like it was heavily influenced by it. Look at the general design of big time laptop players like Sony, Dell and HP. They all try to mimic a MacBook's sleek design. Look at Microsoft's Zune, and you know they had the iPod in mind when they designed that thing. When Nokia first perfected and implemented the slider design, it changed the game. When the RAZR first released, it changed the game. Hybrid-fuel technology changed the game. Happy Meals changed the game. Kobe Bryant changed the game. Traditional Blackberries even changed the game, because of its form factor; but the truth is the BlackBerry Storm did it. It might have, it could have, but it never did. It never did, and the biggest proof of this is RIM itself. If it changed the game, why is it shying away from it? Why does all evidence point to a click free BlackBerry Storm 2? If it changed the game others would change with it, and RIM would stick with it, but all the evidence points to the contrary. I fail to see how the basic concept of a clicking screen has changed anything. I usually am too lazy to post, but when I see stupidity, poorly constructed arguments or sheer arrogance and ignorance, I am just forced to throw in my two cents.
    Last edited by DrCoolBerry; 05-23-09 at 09:49 PM.
    05-23-09 09:44 PM
    With all due respect, it really was not. As CK and Stormbot asked, do you properly understand the concept of a game changer? I am not a fan of Apple, but they are the most obvious example. As of late when they introduce a new product, it literally changes the game. Look at the iPhone and its influence. WebOS looks like it was heavily influenced by it. Look at the general design of big time laptop players like Sony, Dell and HP. They all try to mimic a MacBook's sleek design. Look at Microsoft's Zune, and you know they had the iPod in mind when they designed that thing. When Nokia first perfected and implemented the slider design, it changed the game. When the RAZR first released, it changed the game. Hybrid-fuel technology changed the game. Happy Meals changed the game. Kobe Bryant changed the game. Traditional Blackberries even changed the game, because of its form factor; but the truth is the BlackBerry Storm did it. It might have, it could have, but it never did. It never did, and the biggest proof of this is RIM itself. If it changed the game, why is it shying away from it? Why does all evidence point to a click free BlackBerry Storm 2? If it changed the game others would change with it, and RIM would stick with it, but all the evidence points to the contrary. I usually am to lazy to post, but when I see stupidity, I am just forced to throw in my two cents.
    All the evidence ?? please what is that ? the one guy that has it that cant get past the EULA ????? REALLY ?????
    05-23-09 09:46 PM
    All the evidence ?? please what is that ? the one guy that has it that cant get past the EULA ????? REALLY ?????
    Are you and I even arguing about the same thing? From my understanding, you are saying the BlackBerry Storm changed things, and I am assuming you are talking about the clicking screen, because that is the only innovative and new idea it brings to the table. RIM itself confirmed that TruePress will replace SurePress, and CX and RG both basically said there will be no more click, but there still will be feed back. If the Storm is a game changer, it can only be called a game changer because of the "click," like I said earlier nothing else about it is qualifies it to be a game changer. IF RIM DITCHES THE "CLICK" THEN, THAT IS EVIDENCE ENOUGH THAT IT CHANGED NOTHING. What about that statement is hard for you to comprehend, I do not think I could make it any simpler. The video of the Engadget writer's inability to get past the EULA, really has nothing to do with anything. I am not going to bother arguing over the Internet with you Sooks, if you are unable to comprehend my very basic point.
    05-23-09 09:58 PM
    I understand your "basic" point , and im not here to argue , all i am saying is that the click was a game changer.. it may have not been the best game changer , but it changes the way people look at a tradition touch screen. And i do not recall CX saying anything about the click being gone ( although i may have missed it ), but there were also articals a while back saying that truepress went from 1 central click , to one on each corner giving less pressure to click the screen and more accurate and fast click response aka a adaptation of the surepress. The reason that he couldnt get past the EULA, and why i brough it up , was to show that no one knows , ( besides thoughs in the know ) what this device really contains we cant say 100 percent that the click is gone. Now if cx were to come in here and say differnt then i would belive it , but at this point it is all up in the open ( at this point you are thinking that well if the click was there that unit would of had it ) not necesarly , it was a first type of the storm 2 that was never meant to be out , the gutz can change greatly from that device to now .. for example the camera was still a 3.2 , i expect that to jump up to a 5.0 before launch
    05-23-09 10:04 PM
    Amazing the phrase "game changer" is still being thrown around so loosely : )

Some people *cough*cough* sooks have bastardized it : P

05-23-09 10:36 PM
    Amazing the phrase "game changer" is still being thrown around so loosely : )

Some people *cough*cough* sooks have bastardized it : P

You win Sooks, in this thread the BlackBerry Storm is a game changer, because you're opinion in itself is a game changer
    05-23-09 10:44 PM
    I for one will miss the click screen...if its gone. I have tried other touch screen devices and just couldn't get use to it. Why wouldn't storm II have it, didn't RIM win a big award for that technology?
    05-23-09 11:41 PM
    i heard there was some lulz in this thread...apparently people were getting banned for giving their opinion?
    05-24-09 01:48 AM
    Yes, one user got banned for breaking forum rules. I missed it too, but I read the moderator discussion when I woke this morning.

We will not discuss or allow public discussion of moderator action or sanctions imposed on other users. All I can tell you is that it was a significant breach of forum rules. It wasn't the opinion as such, but the words with which it was expressed. It was obvious to anyone who read the post that it was completely unacceptable, and the response it generated was justified in the circumstances.

And with that out of the way, let the debate continue without invoking any more of George Carlin's famous Seven Words. On Topic please or the thread gets closed.
    05-24-09 05:47 AM
    So...........why can't he select the 'ok' button? LOL.
    05-24-09 07:52 PM
    So...........why can't he select the 'ok' button? LOL.
    Mods banned him from doing so.

Their powers are not to be underestimated.

House I was buying fell out of escrow. Why? The mods.

05-24-09 08:02 PM
    now thats funny cereal killer.
    05-24-09 08:23 PM
147 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD