Or (GASP!!!) the device they got was a very early prototype and RIM intended on it never being able to fully boot to the main menu. Crazy. I know! But...

OP, next time try to use something we call logic. It usually helps.
    Then what would be the point of even allowing the device to boot? You might as well send the user a device that does nothing. Logic yourself.
    05-21-09 10:16 PM
    I have to ask. What is the logic behind building that device, loading it with an OS, but leaving off technology that would make the interface work? What would the purpose of that particular handset be to a person? Could be that the screen could be defective, but if you think RIM put out a test phone with missing technology but a fully working OS on a branded version at that, you're pretty silly in the head. That like building a car and leaving off the windows. This ain't Gung ** you morons. (I need my House avatar back apparently)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-09 10:19 PM
    Makes sense too.
    ausch said the same thing I did, yet everyone said no no no...

I know the Storm 2 has been around for a while. Look at it, not that much has changed. We all know this...

Again I am not giving RIM my money until that thing has the ability to run as many apps as I would like. I think there is a device out there like that

I just wish RIM would own up and give us all a trade in... I am not talking $50 either. I want at least half, but we all know that will happen, right....
    05-21-09 10:24 PM
    U really think that phone was let loose unitentionally.
    Think again.
    BTW................
    Nothing happens by accident.
    Everything happens the way it is supposed to
    and everything happens for a reason.
    Maybe putting an esoteric twist
    on such a worldly thing. But oh well...............
    05-21-09 10:28 PM
    I don't recall him saying the browser was as good as the iPhones.

I do believe he thought by the time VZW launched it that they would have a stable OS on it. Again the Storm 1 release was TOTALLY out of character for RIM.

There's more to the story of the Storm 1 than people think.
    Yeah, he said it. I remember because I was so damn excited.

And please, tell more of the story about the Storm 1. I want to know why it was so damn disgraceful.
    05-21-09 10:29 PM
    I have to ask. What is the logic behind building that device, loading it with an OS, but leaving off technology that would make the interface work? What would the purpose of that particular handset be to a person? Could be that the screen could be defective, but if you think RIM put out a test phone with missing technology but a fully working OS on a branded version at that, you're pretty silly in the head. That like building a car and leaving off the windows. This ain't Gung ** you morons. (I need my House avatar back apparently)

Could just be bugs in the OS that they are trying to workout. Or the OS is not ready for the new device. I guess there are a number of options.

Gung H*O* such a great movie.

I will go to bed with the idea that the Gremlins caused the 2 not work. I will also blame the faults of the Storm on Gremlins. I told Billy not to pour water on Gizmo and then he had to feed the suckers chicken after midnight.
    05-21-09 10:31 PM
    I think they didn't disable compatibility mode

05-21-09 10:33 PM
    U really think that phone was let loose unitentionally.
    Think again.
    BTW................
    Nothing happens by accident.
    Everything happens the way it is supposed to
    and everything happens for a reason.
    Maybe putting an esoteric twist
    on such a worldly thing. But oh well...............
    CX seems to say it really did slip out. And RIM did jump on attempting to remove the pics. Either way, it's gotten out. And see how the boards lit up? . More publicity for RIM.

05-21-09 10:34 PM
    [QUOTE=VoodooKaboom

I know the Storm 2 has been around for a while. Look at it, not that much has changed. We all know this...

I just wish RIM would own up and give us all a trade in... I am not talking $50 either. I want at least half, but we all know that will happen, right....[/QUOTE]

Ok, hope I don't get flamed to badly here... I'm pretty new to berry's and pretty much ignorant of the whole storm saga. (not a touch screen fan)

So what I gather is storm1 was really a beta project, but due to pressure from service provider(s) it was released premature, complete with multiple OS issues. Now that storm2 is due out "soon" (as in anywhere from june 1, 2009 to june 1 2010) people are saying that this is what the storm was supposed to be?

Was the storm in response to iphone? Or touch screen smartphones in general? When was storm1 first released? Cuz May 1 my service provider started selling them, yet are advertising the 8230 as coming soon. (wasn't the storm1 released well before the flip?)

Just trying to edumecate myself

05-21-09 10:38 PM
    I think they didn't disable compatibility mode
    Now we are talkin'

Let's hope for a June launch. Maybe a free "Deuce" is in our future.
    05-21-09 10:38 PM
    Ok, hope I don't get flamed to badly here... I'm pretty new to berry's and pretty much ignorant of the whole storm saga. (not a touch screen fan)

So what I gather is storm1 was really a beta project, but due to pressure from service provider(s) it was released premature, complete with multiple OS issues. Now that storm2 is due out "soon" (as in anywhere from june 1, 2009 to june 1 2010) people are saying that this is what the storm was supposed to be?

Was the storm in response to iphone? Or touch screen smartphones in general? When was storm1 first released? Cuz May 1 my service provider started selling them, yet are advertising the 8230 as coming soon. (wasn't the storm1 released well before the flip?)

The launch dates for various RIM devices can vary. That would depend on RIMs ability to manufacture the volume to sell a working device the carrier has placed a stamp of approval on. There are tons of other things that need to be done before hand, R&D, testing etc.

I believe the Storm was a response to the iPhone. RIM was seeing market share move towards the iPhone. VZW saw the same thing with the AT&T. Also App World was built to help compete against the App Store for the iPhone.

I don't know if it was a Beta or not. I think the Storm was not ready for release and the carriers wanted it so bad because of the iPhone, holiday sales etc.

If RIM has learned anything from this they should take the suggestions of Wegmans CEO. "We don't open a store until we know we are ready, we ensure that the customer will have the best experience because our staff is prepared for the opening, profits don't matter, our employees and customers come first."
    05-21-09 10:47 PM
    Someone slip me one of these. I'll show you guys how to press OK.

05-21-09 10:47 PM
    So why hasn't RIM asked the video to be pulled?
    05-21-09 10:49 PM

Few know the real story. Most of us can make educated guesses. ATT and VZW are the biggest carriers in the states. The iPhone was destroying VZW. VZW went to RIM at some point and said they wanted a touch berry. RIM says, interesting, put up some $ and we'll get to work. Work goes on and RIm being RIM wants something different. VZW doesn't care. They want the friggin phone cause ATT is way ahead. So, as RIM works on a new technology, in a field they've never touched, VZW says We put up the $, give us the phone! So, RIM gives in. And you get the Storm. RIM, now well into the project, says hmmmm, let's finish this and make some changes. While the Storm sells, it has its obvious shortcomings. So, now, RIM has the touch they had set out for, or much more like it and learned from storm 1. Enter Storm 2. That's my guess anyway.

05-21-09 10:49 PM
    BTW, I hope you guys realize the OS on that phone in the video was 4.7.

05-21-09 10:50 PM
    So why hasn't RIM asked the video to be pulled?
    Snowball effect. The problem with the internet is, once it's out one place, it's out everywhere. Try as they may to contain it- they couldn't stop it.

05-21-09 10:51 PM
    Dude you and I both know that each OS has had some issue. Forwarding MMS, color banding, radio issues, *228 issues. There is always something. Come on fan boy.
    Some people (myself included) do not consider these issues to be big deals. The WORST bug on the Storm (in my opinion) was just fixed in .148, though (the release notes specifically mention it TWICE) - The audio boost bug with incoming alerts has been fixed. The Storm is now a VIABLE media player. Your music is playing at FULL volume - an alert comes in - the headphones deactivate for a second and the device speaker plays the alert tone - and the headphones switch back on and playback continues at FULL volume.
    05-21-09 10:59 PM
    BTW, I hope you guys realize the OS on that phone in the video was 4.7.

I'm not doubting you, but how do you know? Just deduction because of the new OS'es being 5.0?
    05-21-09 10:59 PM
    I'm not doubting you, but how do you know? Just deduction because of the new OS'es being 5.0?
    Nope. That was definitely 4.7. 5 has a different startup screen. You should know this. I think maybe I'll put together a pop quiz and see who on here really does live and breathes this stuff.

05-21-09 11:05 PM
    There seemed to be a progress bar, but it was different from the one on my 5.0 on my Jav.

05-21-09 11:06 PM
    Nope. That was definitely 4.7. 5 has a different startup screen. You should know this. I think maybe I'll put together a pop quiz and see who on here really does live and breathes this stuff.

hahahahhaaa
    05-21-09 11:06 PM

oh!! i wanna take a quiz! do it do it!
    05-21-09 11:13 PM

Ohhhh yeahhh. It has the blackberry logo with a white status bar. DOH!

And for the record, when I read your post, I thought you said it WASN'T 4.7. My bad!
    05-21-09 11:15 PM
    Voodoo, why not swtich to another model since you think the storm is a FAIL!?
    05-21-09 11:18 PM

The boot-up screen is black and has a real progress bar in 5.0. I win!
    05-21-09 11:49 PM
147 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD