08-26-10 09:46 AM
84 ... 234
tools
    Not sure why everyone wants the Droid X, the Incredible is exactly that. I have had my incredible for a week and am still learning, but give a few things, I would not trade back my Dinc for my Storm 2, ever! Incredible is so fast, never lags, internet is awesome, apps are better, and usually free, widgets rock, as well as 7 home screens. I rooted and now have free wifi hotspot.

Only things I miss are:
    1. Surepress - however, that is being missed less and less as I use this
    2. Different notifications - not a biggie, but that was nice
    3. Most importantly - i loved pressing the call to go to my log, then being able to hit the menu button and have any option of messaging to a contact. This is in Android, but not as easy.

Other than that, exchange is actually better on Android than BIS. For those on the fence, the grass in greener on the other side!
    Honestly, none of what you posted would make me interested in Android. My S2 is fast, at least fast enough. I have all the apps I need. Email is great. I can see it in bright sunlight. I carry around a spare battery. I can tether using bluetooth or USB. BBM, Surepress and loads of other shortcuts make the phone a snap to use.
    08-19-10 10:53 AM
    I7Gu, understand your viewpoint, I shared the same three weeks ago Just so you do know, I had tether, it was great. Wifi hotspot is literally your phone acting as a wireless router, no cable, no bluetooth, actual wireless, security and all. How nice is it my daughter can search the internet on her Ipod touch using internet through my Incredible while we are in the car! The things I said didn't matter weeks ago, actually do, once you see how they actually work. Sure, alot of it is extras, but it is awfully nice, and really shows how behind Blackberry is in many regards.
    08-19-10 02:41 PM
    Not sure why everyone wants the Droid X, the Incredible is exactly that. I have had my incredible for a week and am still learning, but give a few things, I would not trade back my Dinc for my Storm 2, ever! Incredible is so fast, never lags, internet is awesome, apps are better, and usually free, widgets rock, as well as 7 home screens. I rooted and now have free wifi hotspot.

Only things I miss are:
    1. Surepress - however, that is being missed less and less as I use this
    2. Different notifications - not a biggie, but that was nice
    3. Most importantly - i loved pressing the call to go to my log, then being able to hit the menu button and have any option of messaging to a contact. This is in Android, but not as easy.

Other than that, exchange is actually better on Android than BIS. For those on the fence, the grass in greener on the other side!
    Why Droid X over Incredible? Simple... 4.3" screen is bigger than Incredible's 3.7" and the Droid X has more of a WOW factor.

No cheap plastic materials either.
    08-19-10 02:44 PM
    Why Droid X over Incredible? Simple... 4.3" screen is bigger than Incredible's 3.7" and the Droid X has more of a WOW factor.

No cheap plastic materials either.
    Yes, I went "wow" when I saw the hump on the back of the X. Plastic, in and of itself doesn't make a product "cheap" or inferior. I wear a $6,500 insulin pump that has a case made of high impact plastic. I don't need it to be built like a freakin' Apple Macbook Air.
    08-19-10 03:08 PM
    Yeah I was planning on getting the Droid X, but I may get annoyed with a big phone in my pocket so I may go for the Droid 2, but still waiting for someone to buy my device...might as well donate it to charity
    08-20-10 11:51 AM
    Each day I play with the Droid X at the same time helping my wife tweak the Storm 2 for her needs, I miss the Storm 2 less and less. The Android platform along with the hardware of the X have already exceeded my expectations. And when Froyo rolls out with flash on my Droid X then I'll really be looking at the Storm 2 in my rear view mirror.
    08-20-10 08:47 PM
    Here's what I'm finding with apps/usage important to me on a smart phone and how my Droid X compares with the Storm 2:

EMAIL
    For many this is a vital factor for Blackberry. I loved the way BB handles email. It keeps my Outlook cleaner at home. During the day I'd sift through emails and when I deleted them from my BB they were also deleted from Comcast's server, thus when I got home and fired up my Outlook I wouldn't have to go through the garbage emails again.
    The Droid X with it's native email does not delete from Comcast's server when I delete emails from the phone. But I've found a workable solution. I can log into Comcast's mobile email (server) and select all of the emails I don't want and delete them, so when I get home I don't have to go through them with my Outlook again. I keep my Droid X pretty clean with regards to emal as I delete most of them (home is where my email is at). I like the Droid X and Comcast mobile email because in both cases I can select multiple emails in one shot to delete instead of one at a time.
    I know I could forward to gmail but why bother as I don't really use gmail anyways.

SLINGPLAYER MOBILE
    I've had a Slingbox at home since they first came out. The Storm never got a workable mobile solution. According to Slingmemdia this was because RIM didn't give them to code in order for them to write the software. I know that's only one side of the story. Slingplayer mobile works excellent on my Droid X.

REMOTE ACCESS TO HOME COMPUTER
    The Storm 2 could do this but it wasn;t pretty. I used Teamviewer which worked, but it was very difficult to get around remotely using my Storm 2. I use LogMeIn with my Droid X. It works excellent. I can easily remotely access my home computer for whatever I want to do. Load any program and work with it, etc. The bigger screen and fast processor on the Droid X make this a great experience.

PHONE CALLS
    Truthfully not much of a diference to me. In known dead spots both phones seem to drop the same calls. I have noticed in a few "bad" areas that the Droid X has held onto calls without dropping them in the same places where the Storm 2 always dropped the call. Volume wise and clarity wise they both seem pretty comparable to me.
    My Droid X is having a bluetooth issue with my car. At times I get this horrendous interference in which myself and the person on the other side can both hear and no talking can occur. I have to call VZW and see what is going on.

PHONE INTERFACE
    I admit I like the swipe screen (iPhone feel) to the Droid X better than the Storm 2. I have 7 screens to put widgets/programs/etc on. I especially like the the one touch contact calling/texting I can add (a cool widget) for the people I am in contact with a lot.

TEXTING
    I'm not a great texter with any phone. That being said the Surepress on the Storm 2 never made my texting better than any other phone. I find the Droid X a bit easier to text on, but that's just me ( a bad texter).

WEB BROWSING
    Based on specs alone there is no competition here. The Droid X does an admirable job with web browsing, and I am looking forward to Froyo with flash to see how much better a phone can browse. Again, with the larger screen it does a great job. Not a laptop replacement by any means, but I can do a lot during the day with browsing that I couldn't' do with the Storm 2, as the Storm 2 was very slow and didn't do a great job rendering web pages as compared to the Droid X.

APPS
    For the most part apps on the iPhone and Droid which seem more plentiful than in BB's Appworld aren't all that useful. Apps for me wasn't the reason for moving to Android. I do feel BB Appworld was much more expensive overall than their competitors, and that coupled with what I felt were lesser choices made the BB's apps much worse. For what I was using my phone for I could find apps on any platform useful to me. It just seemed more expensive with the Storm 2. Things like Facebook and Skype work better on the Droid X.

CAMERA/VIDEO
    With an 8MP camera and 720P video of course you can't even compare the Storm 2. That being said, I think the video on the Droid X even with 720P is just OK. The camera on the Droid X is a bit easier to use, but that could be just because of the placement of the camera button and the overall larger size of the Droid X which makes it easier to handle.

As these smartphones get smarter I like the ability to do more with them, and the Droid X is making me very happy whereas the Storm 2 just wasn't cutting it.
    08-26-10 08:16 AM
    I7Gu, understand your viewpoint, I shared the same three weeks ago Just so you do know, I had tether, it was great. Wifi hotspot is literally your phone acting as a wireless router, no cable, no bluetooth, actual wireless, security and all. How nice is it my daughter can search the internet on her Ipod touch using internet through my Incredible while we are in the car! The things I said didn't matter weeks ago, actually do, once you see how they actually work. Sure, alot of it is extras, but it is awfully nice, and really shows how behind Blackberry is in many regards.
    I do the same thing on the road however my tethered laptop shares my internet connection and has the added bonus of working with a full size screen, keyboard and pointing device. I know, different strokes for different folks.
    08-26-10 09:25 AM
    Here's what I'm finding with apps/usage important to me on a smart phone and how my Droid X compares with the Storm 2:

EMAIL
    For many this is a vital factor for Blackberry. I loved the way BB handles email. It keeps my Outlook cleaner at home. During the day I'd sift through emails and when I deleted them from my BB they were also deleted from Comcast's server, thus when I got home and fired up my Outlook I wouldn't have to go through the garbage emails again.
    The Droid X with it's native email does not delete from Comcast's server when I delete emails from the phone. But I've found a workable solution. I can log into Comcast's mobile email (server) and select all of the emails I don't want and delete them, so when I get home I don't have to go through them with my Outlook again. I keep my Droid X pretty clean with regards to emal as I delete most of them (home is where my email is at). I like the Droid X and Comcast mobile email because in both cases I can select multiple emails in one shot to delete instead of one at a time.
    I know I could forward to gmail but why bother as I don't really use gmail anyways.

SLINGPLAYER MOBILE
    I've had a Slingbox at home since they first came out. The Storm never got a workable mobile solution. According to Slingmemdia this was because RIM didn't give them to code in order for them to write the software. I know that's only one side of the story. Slingplayer mobile works excellent on my Droid X.

REMOTE ACCESS TO HOME COMPUTER
    The Storm 2 could do this but it wasn;t pretty. I used Teamviewer which worked, but it was very difficult to get around remotely using my Storm 2. I use LogMeIn with my Droid X. It works excellent. I can easily remotely access my home computer for whatever I want to do. Load any program and work with it, etc. The bigger screen and fast processor on the Droid X make this a great experience.

PHONE CALLS
    Truthfully not much of a diference to me. In known dead spots both phones seem to drop the same calls. I have noticed in a few "bad" areas that the Droid X has held onto calls without dropping them in the same places where the Storm 2 always dropped the call. Volume wise and clarity wise they both seem pretty comparable to me.
    My Droid X is having a bluetooth issue with my car. At times I get this horrendous interference in which myself and the person on the other side can both hear and no talking can occur. I have to call VZW and see what is going on.

PHONE INTERFACE
    I admit I like the swipe screen (iPhone feel) to the Droid X better than the Storm 2. I have 7 screens to put widgets/programs/etc on. I especially like the the one touch contact calling/texting I can add (a cool widget) for the people I am in contact with a lot.

TEXTING
    I'm not a great texter with any phone. That being said the Surepress on the Storm 2 never made my texting better than any other phone. I find the Droid X a bit easier to text on, but that's just me ( a bad texter).

WEB BROWSING
    Based on specs alone there is no competition here. The Droid X does an admirable job with web browsing, and I am looking forward to Froyo with flash to see how much better a phone can browse. Again, with the larger screen it does a great job. Not a laptop replacement by any means, but I can do a lot during the day with browsing that I couldn't' do with the Storm 2, as the Storm 2 was very slow and didn't do a great job rendering web pages as compared to the Droid X.

APPS
    For the most part apps on the iPhone and Droid which seem more plentiful than in BB's Appworld aren't all that useful. Apps for me wasn't the reason for moving to Android. I do feel BB Appworld was much more expensive overall than their competitors, and that coupled with what I felt were lesser choices made the BB's apps much worse. For what I was using my phone for I could find apps on any platform useful to me. It just seemed more expensive with the Storm 2. Things like Facebook and Skype work better on the Droid X.

CAMERA/VIDEO
    With an 8MP camera and 720P video of course you can't even compare the Storm 2. That being said, I think the video on the Droid X even with 720P is just OK. The camera on the Droid X is a bit easier to use, but that could be just because of the placement of the camera button and the overall larger size of the Droid X which makes it easier to handle.

As these smartphones get smarter I like the ability to do more with them, and the Droid X is making me very happy whereas the Storm 2 just wasn't cutting it.
    I've logged in to home from my tethered laptop, and as I said above I work with a full screen, keyboard and pointing device. Unless I am forced to I really don't like don't detailed work on a small screen.

As far as the camera goes, 8mp vs 5mp vs 3.2mp is not a real jump as it depends on the lens and optics. My S2 has taken some awesome photos, but that is where it ends. Same comment would apply to all phone cameras, the technology has gotten better as far as video capture from camera devices, but the megapixels don't make for a better camera.
    Last edited by i7guy; 08-26-10 at 09:54 AM.
    08-26-10 09:46 AM
84 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD