I've never had a cell phone (now they're mini computer phones) that I've been 100% satisfied with. But from my Storm 1 to my Storm 2, I'm just frustrated enough that I'm moving to Android. In my hands the Storm 2 has been sluggish, poor internet performance, great email handling, and for the few apps I want the BB market stinks and is over priced.

I have never loaded (nor had any desire to) unofficial software releases, so I've been tethered to VZW's releases. In my opinion RIM, even with a Storm that was supposed to be in the same league as an iPhone and others just wasn't ready for prime time in that niche. I could wait for the next updated RIM release, but I figure based on the Droid marketplace and the Android system I'll give it a whirl. I've already read many mixed reviews for the Droid X. I read the same for the Storm 2. I just need to move on.

I'm really not sure what apps I'll run on the Droid X when I get it. I do know I will be running Slingplayer Mobile which is not ready for the Storm 2 and ready for many other mobile devices including the Droid X. Other than that only time will tell where my emotions go once I leave BB behind.
    Last edited by metalmancpa; 07-31-10 at 09:52 PM.
    07-31-10 03:36 PM
    Oh Dear Mod,please close this thread.
    07-31-10 04:17 PM
    I don't blame you metalman. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
    07-31-10 09:03 PM
    In your case sir, the grass is very much greener! Congrats on your "awakening"!
    07-31-10 09:42 PM
    I'm being honest. I really gave the Storm (1&2) a chance. I really wanted it to be enough in my hands to make me happy. It just doens't cut it, period.
    07-31-10 09:53 PM
    This is going to take a turn for the worse soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-10 11:10 PM
    This is going to take a turn for the worse soon.

TheOne01 is already here. Probably as bad as it gets...

08-01-10 12:16 AM
    I'm on for the ride too. I just ordered my Droid X. I almost can't believe I'm moving on, it's been 5 years with BB and now just tired of being "left behind". I am amazed at the speed of the X and all that comes with it, but at the same time, sad to leave BB. Not getting the new OS6 was the last straw for me.

I hope I'll be happier with the X
    08-01-10 02:35 AM
    TheOne01 is already here. Probably as bad as it gets...

I've worked hard to get where I am today. Thanks for noticing!
    08-01-10 08:09 AM
    Real hard work........
    08-01-10 09:12 AM
    Its...........DROID LORD11!!!!

So was it your droid sent for repair? been a long time. repaired and working fine?
    08-01-10 09:43 AM
    I've got both, and love each of them.
    08-01-10 10:14 AM
    I've got both, and love each of them.
    Once I get my Droid X I'll be passing my Storm 2 to my wife (who currently has the old Storm 1). In that way for the next couple of months I'll be doing some side-by-side comparisons.

My main comparison is going to be the speed of the OS and phone quality. Right now I feel my Storm 2 lags in a lot of things OS-wise. Until I have the Droid X under use I just don't have any comparison. As far as call quality and # of dropped calls, time will tell, but that will be an easy test. I know exactly where my Storm 2 drops calls.

As I've continued to study phones over the years, and as a self-employed individual with no need for BES, I'm just not sure what BB brings to the table. I was introduced to BB in the corporate world. As far as email handling - BB is awesome.

Now that I'm on my own I'm not constrained by corporate limitation of use of a phone. I now want a converged device in my hand that can do the following:
    • Handle multiple email accounts (I've read there's an app for this - BB Storm awesome in this category)
    • Synchronize to MS Outlook (I've read there's an app for this - BB Storm did a good job at this)
    • Surf the internet (BB Storm horrible)
    • Music device for working out (BB Storm OK)
    • Slingplayer Mobile (never made for BB Storm directly so not good at all - I know there's a full Android version wiating for me)
    • Apps - I want some fun apps, some productive apps, etc etc. I find the BB marketplace poor. I have an iPod Touch and there are way more apps than BB. And from what I've read the Android marketpalce is also pretty good.

As I previously stated I know nothing is perfect. But my life with the Storm 1&2 has been a struggle, moreso than any other phone I've ever had. Yes these devices are getting more complicated and powerful which makes comparisons to prior phones more difficult and less fair. Regardless, I just want to try the Droid X.
    Last edited by metalmancpa; 08-01-10 at 03:18 PM.
    08-01-10 10:35 AM
    Please do remember compare battery life. I know many say the storm batt sucks. in any case. the x is a brand new batt so the life should be better.
    08-01-10 10:43 AM
    Metalmancpa or grey....I'd be interested in your thoughts on the upside and downsides of the Droid X vs. the Storm2. I like many other s2 owners am tempted by the Droid X.

From what I've read on the DX so far the battery life seems to be pretty good. Is that true?
    08-01-10 11:18 AM
    Once I get my Droid X I'll be passing my Storm 2 to my wife (who currently has the old Storm 1). In that way for the next couple of months I'll be doing some side-by-side comparisons.

My main comparison is going to be the speed of the OS and phone quality. Right now I feel my Storm 2 lags in a lot of things OS-wise. Until I have the Droid X under use I just don't have any comparison. As far as call quality and # of dropped calls, time will tell, but that will be an easy test. I know exactly where my Storm 2 drops calls.

As I've continued to study phones over the years, and as a self-employed individual with no need for BES, I'm just not sure what BB brings to the table. I was introduced to BB in the corporate world. As far as email handling - BB is awesome.

Now that I'm on my own I'm not constreained by corporate limitation sof use of a phone. I now want a converged device in my hand that can do the following:
    • Handle multiple email accounts (I've read there's an app for this - BB Storm awesome in this category)
    • Synchronize to MS Outlook (I've read there's an app for this - BB Storm did a good job at this)
    • Surf the internet (BB Storm horrible)
    • Music device for working out (BB Storm OK)
    • Slingplayer Mobile (never made for BB Storm directly so not good at all - I know there's a full Android version wiating for me)
    • Apps - I want some fun apps, some productive apps, etc etc. I find the BB marketplace poor. I have an iPod Touch and there are way more apps than BB. And from what I've read the Android marketpalce is also pretty good.

As I previously stated I know nothing is perfect. But my life with the Storm 1&2 has been a struggle, moreso than any other phone I've ever had. Yes these devices are getting more complicated and powerful which makes comparisons to prior phones more difficult and less fair. Regardless, I just want to try the Droid X.
    I really think these threads belong in the android forum. I know that some of what we do in them is compare X to S2, but it's kind of like going to the Ford forum and talking about how much better your Dodge is. I'm not knocking the thread, I just think it should be placed where people who are interested in a Droid, would expect to find it. Having said that......

There are only 2 things on my DX that I wish worked like a bb.

1. I wish it would automatically turn on whenever you remove it from a holster, like a bb does. On any droid, you have to hit one of two buttons to give it life. It's instantaneous, but I loved how my S2 was lit up when it came out of the holster. Oh well...not big deal...I'll get used to it.

2. I wish it had a calendar that the default view could be set to a single day. If it exist, I can't find it. That means that I have to click the calendar then click the day to bring up that view. One extra click. Oh well...not big deal...I'll get used to it.

There are a couple of things that people who don't want to like the android platform complain about that crack me up:

1. They say it has too much fluff...too much junk installed on it. Junk and fluff are extremely relative terms, but this is a ridiculous position to take. My BB is constantly being pushed what I consider junk by verizon. Just like on your bb, if you don't want to see it, hide the icon or move it to a folder where you wont have to look at it. It's pretty funny that some people leave bb complaining about how lame or boring the OS is...get a droid, then complain about it having too much stuff.

2. They say email sucks. I guess if I was a sniper lying prone, scoped in on a bad guy and my spotter had to email me windage and range before the target moved, it might matter how quickly my email came...but that's not my situation. So getting my emails 10 to 15 seconds after they are sent to my DX works fine for me. It's the EXACT same time it took to get my emails on my S2. I have read post where someone said it took 10 to 15 minutes to get an email...who cares? I know that we all like to think we're really important, but outside of nuclear launch code delivery, the difference in 10 seconds and 10 minutes for an email is irrelevant. Anytime I'm running a timed test, on any of my 3 email accounts, they all always come in less than 1 minute. I do have all 3 of my POP emails forwarded to my gmail address and on my phone, K9 (free droid email program) let's me pick any of my 3 POP address for the "from" address of emails that I send.

On the droid, the apps are awesome, the OS is fast and smooth and working in full web pages is blazing fast. On a bb, I'd get on the web whenever I was away from a pc and I really needed some piece of internet info. On the DX, I'm on it all the time and rarely find myself frustrated. The OS is a different animal, so expect some things that you have to learn how to do. It's not difficult, it's just different. BB users say that android sucks, the OS is not at all intuitive like the bb OS is. That's a bunch of crap. They've all just been using bb's for a while, so they think it's intuitive. I gave my wife my S2. She's never had a smart phone before. Why don't you call her up and ask her how intuitive she thinks bb is...she'll rip your head off.

One last thing for the OP...You've got to ditch Outlook and become one with Google. I've used Outlook exclusively since it first came out (15 years ago???) and always loved it. About 4 or 5 months ago, I was tired of having to connect my bb cable to the pc and do syncs throughout the day and only having access to my pc's calendar and contacts while at work (like you, self employed). So I dumped it. I created a gmail account/email address, forwarded all my POP3 emails to that new address, downloaded Google Sync to my bb, had it sync my phone's contacts and calendar to my new gmail account and have not opened Outlook since. It's been the best technological decision I've made in many years. Every thing is always in sync. My wife adds an appointment to the calendar when I'm out and it pops up on my phone, contacts are always in sync no matter where you enter them from, and no more wired connections. Plus, when we're at home, you can jump on any pc, log into your gmail account and have access to everything. It's like your own personal portable Outlook that is accessible wherever you are.
    Last edited by grey; 08-01-10 at 01:49 PM.
    08-01-10 01:44 PM
    Whatever floats your boat.. or in your case....whatever sinks your ship.
    08-01-10 01:51 PM
    Whatever floats your boat.. or in your case....whatever sinks your ship.
    See...this is why I think all of these threads about any other type of phone belong in the correct section of the forum. Everybody here has a S2 and most of them are happy with their phone. They don't want to see a bunch of threads talking about a droid or an iphone. If these threads got put in the proper placed (or just moved there by a Mod), you wouldn't have your thread getting filled up with irrelevant comments.
    08-01-10 02:04 PM
    See...this is why I think all of these threads about any other type of phone belong in the correct section of the forum. Everybody here has a S2 and most of them are happy with their phone. They don't want to see a bunch of threads talking about a droid or an iphone. If these threads got put in the proper placed (or just moved there by a Mod), you wouldn't have your thread getting filled up with irrelevant comments.
    Its not even about where the thread is. Its the fact that there are hundreds of these threads about people whining about their blackberry and are switching to the droid. Its like they need some kind of confirmation from other BB users. Just make the switch and goodbye.
    What else can someone say to a thread that has been posted over and over and over.
    08-01-10 02:51 PM

Yes, it's sad that people are SO damn loyal that they can't accept any other option. I was glad to see this on the Storm2 thread because I wanted to see if I was the only one who felt this way about switching. Some people want to learn the differences of the phones without wanting to get berated...to think this is a normal concept, but damn...this is getting old. Why don't the people go out and at least TRY the X before you knock it. You act as if we didn't want BB to out do themselves, or droid or iphones...we WANTED that, but it's not happening!!!
    08-01-10 02:59 PM
    I really think these threads belong in the android forum. I know that some of what we do in them is compare X to S2, but it's kind of like going to the Ford forum and talking about how much better your Dodge is. I'm not knocking the thread, I just think it should be placed where people who are interested in a Droid, would expect to find it. Having said that......

There are only 2 things on my DX that I wish worked like a bb.

1. I wish it would automatically turn on whenever you remove it from a holster, like a bb does. On any droid, you have to hit one of two buttons to give it life. It's instantaneous, but I loved how my S2 was lit up when it came out of the holster. Oh well...not big deal...I'll get used to it.

2. I wish it had a calendar that the default view could be set to a single day. If it exist, I can't find it. That means that I have to click the calendar then click the day to bring up that view. One extra click. Oh well...not big deal...I'll get used to it.

There are a couple of things that people who don't want to like the android platform complain about that crack me up:

1. They say it has too much fluff...too much junk installed on it. Junk and fluff are extremely relative terms, but this is a ridiculous position to take. My BB is constantly being pushed what I consider junk by verizon. Just like on your bb, if you don't want to see it, hide the icon or move it to a folder where you wont have to look at it. It's pretty funny that some people leave bb complaining about how lame or boring the OS is...get a droid, then complain about it having too much stuff.

2. They say email sucks. I guess if I was a sniper lying prone, scoped in on a bad guy and my spotter had to email me windage and range before the target moved, it might matter how quickly my email came...but that's not my situation. So getting my emails 10 to 15 seconds after they are sent to my DX works fine for me. It's the EXACT same time it took to get my emails on my S2. I have read post where someone said it took 10 to 15 minutes to get an email...who cares? I know that we all like to think we're really important, but outside of nuclear launch code delivery, the difference in 10 seconds and 10 minutes for an email is irrelevant. Anytime I'm running a timed test, on any of my 3 email accounts, they all always come in less than 1 minute. I do have all 3 of my POP emails forwarded to my gmail address and on my phone, K9 (free droid email program) let's me pick any of my 3 POP address for the "from" address of emails that I send.

On the droid, the apps are awesome, the OS is fast and smooth and working in full web pages is blazing fast. On a bb, I'd get on the web whenever I was away from a pc and I really needed some piece of internet info. On the DX, I'm on it all the time and rarely find myself frustrated. The OS is a different animal, so expect some things that you have to learn how to do. It's not difficult, it's just different. BB users say that android sucks, the OS is not at all intuitive like the bb OS is. That's a bunch of crap. They've all just been using bb's for a while, so they think it's intuitive. I gave my wife my S2. She's never had a smart phone before. Why don't you call her up and ask her how intuitive she thinks bb is...she'll rip your head off.

One last thing for the OP...You've got to ditch Outlook and become one with Google. I've used Outlook exclusively since it first came out (15 years ago???) and always loved it. About 4 or 5 months ago, I was tired of having to connect my bb cable to the pc and do syncs throughout the day and only having access to my pc's calendar and contacts while at work (like you, self employed). So I dumped it. I created a gmail account/email address, forwarded all my POP3 emails to that new address, downloaded Google Sync to my bb, had it sync my phone's contacts and calendar to my new gmail account and have not opened Outlook since. It's been the best technological decision I've made in many years. Every thing is always in sync. My wife adds an appointment to the calendar when I'm out and it pops up on my phone, contacts are always in sync no matter where you enter them from, and no more wired connections. Plus, when we're at home, you can jump on any pc, log into your gmail account and have access to everything. It's like your own personal portable Outlook that is accessible wherever you are.

about the email, most of the time i agree that 10 minutes is no big deal. but there are many times if my GF is shopping she sends a pic of something and i need that instantly like a BB does. There is no BBM and yes you can use MMS but sometimes that takes a bit and does cost money if you dont have unlimited. Gtalk app on android doesnt allow file transfers either. So you have email.

If you have gmail not an issue as its instant most all times just like BBs. If not you are left with 5 minute interval or stand there refreshing the folders for delivery. but with my BB hotmail which is my mail account was instant all the time. both my GF and me just use gmail for pics between ourselves so that they are instant but both use hotmail accounts otherwise. Its an easy workaround but the situation just shows how 5-10 minutes wouldnt be quick enough. I mean you cant sit there looking at something you MIGHT buy for that long all the time.

About the sync with BB and google. The contacts and such are suppose to sync automatically using settings in BIS, i tried this again for the second time after i backed up all contacts and it still created some duplicates and also lost all the contact pictures. I havent tried the sync app but the GOOGLE CLOUD just doesnt seem to work right. I manually sync my BB with outlook still and it works perfectly. I also do it with my Incredible, and it works on but not great.
    08-01-10 03:03 PM
    Its not even about where the thread is. Its the fact that there are hundreds of these threads about people whining about their blackberry and are switching to the droid. Its like they need some kind of confirmation from other BB users. Just make the switch and goodbye.
    What else can someone say to a thread that has been posted over and over and over.
    We don't need confirmation, ..more like INformation. I thought that was what a forum was supposed to do? If you get annoyed, simply don't respond, but you had to not only respond, but throw insults as to make it seem like it was a bad decision to switch. The title of the thread was loud and clear, next time just skip these threads and move on to something else. Not a big deal.
    08-01-10 03:04 PM
    I've never had a cell phone (now they're mini computer phones) that I've been 100% satisfied with. But from my Storm 1 to my Storm 2, I'm just frustrated enough that I'm moving to Android. In my hands the Storm 2 has been sluggish, poor internet performance, great email handling, and for the few apps I want the BB market stinks and is over priced.

I have never loaded (nor had any desire to) unofficial software releases, so I've been tethered to VZW's releases. In my opinion RIM, even with a Storm that was supposed to be in the same league as an iPhone and others just wasn't ready for prime time in that niche. I could wait for the next updated RIM release, but I figure based on the Droid marketplace and the Android system I'll give it a whirl. I've already read many mixed reviews for the Droid X. I read the same for the Storm 2. I just need to move on.

I'm really not sure what apps I'll run on the Droid X when I get it. I do know I will be running Slingplayer Mobile which is not ready for the Storm 2 and ready for many other mobile devices including the Droid X. Other than that only time will tell where my emotions go once I leave BB behind.
    This was not a thread about what's people experience switching from a BB to Droid or do you think I should switch to the Droid or what are the comparisons of the specs between both phones. Which if you would do some research and use the search field. That's what its there for..to search and see if this has been covered already you may have noticed all the threads covering this topic. Which was: I don't like my Storm1 or 2 and I'm tired of waiting so I'm switching to the Droid.
    If you want information...ask something that hasn't been covered or do a search whether its on CB or another search engine.
    08-01-10 03:18 PM
    I'm not totally surprised there is some hating going on here. One of the biggest reasons I will always hate the internet is that trying to convey thoughts and emotions are almost impossible without writing a book explaining exactly what I'm thinking. So many negative reactions and useless bickering on internet forums such as this. It's so difficult to carry on a rational discussion without it morphing into something else.

I have Storm 2 and posted this in the Storm 2 forum. I don't even have Droid yet so why is this an Android post?

I am venturing on to a new platform. In my OP I state only time will tell. I also state the Storm 2 will still be in the family. So there are 100's of posts comparing the Storm 2 to a Droid X - so what!?!?!. Well I feel like sharing my own personal experiences with MY Storm 2 and compare to MY upcoming Droid X. MY Storm 2 has been a hassle to ME - so I'm sharing that with others. I don't care if other people love their Storm 2 (although I'm happy for them) - that's THEIR experience with THEIR Storm 2, not mine. I feel in this technologically advanced world that if I'm not happy with something over a length of time of use, in my case battling Storms since the original Storm 1 was released, I will try another technology, in this case Android.

Unless this post is for whatever reason locked, closed, or moved, I will post my thoughts on the Storm 2 and Droid X once I get the X in hand. Remember, these are only my experiences with my phones.
    08-01-10 03:32 PM
    We don't need confirmation, ..more like INformation. I thought that was what a forum was supposed to do? If you get annoyed, simply don't respond, but you had to not only respond, but throw insults as to make it seem like it was a bad decision to switch. The title of the thread was loud and clear, next time just skip these threads and move on to something else. Not a big deal.
    Thank you - I don't think I could have reiterated my thoughts any better than that.
    08-01-10 03:33 PM
84 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD