Being that the iPhone has been out for quite some time, you would think these new touch devices would take a page out of Apple's book and learn how to build an adequate touchscreen.

The clickable screen is cool in concept, but in this case, horrible in execution. It makes typing texts almost unbearable for me as it slows the whole process down by adding an unnecessary step between selecting a letter and registering the letter.

I just don't understand the point, and using it feels like it needed a lot more time in development.

On to my most recent complaint: Something must have gotten under the touchscreen (big surprise with the huge gaps around the edges of it that look awful at night with all the light leaking through) because the bottom left portion of the touchscreen when held in portrait mode no longer clicks down and feels stuck. It's awful and I've had the phone only for a week.

What can I do to solve this? Outside of returning the phone
    02-13-09 10:49 AM
    If you are that unimpressed, returning the phone sounds smart.
    02-13-09 10:52 AM
    Back in college before i was married. I was told that i've got low standards ;-)
    I guess this phone may just fit for me. If it's not right for you return it.
    What ever happened in taking one for the team?
    02-13-09 10:56 AM
    I like everything else about the phone. The performance is acceptable to me because software updates will only improve it.

The touch screen is tolerable, just this problem I'm having is stressing me out because I can't click anything on the bottom left of the screen in portrait.

Outside of this problem, it just frustrates me that no one has been able to replicate the iPhone's performance on touchscreen devices yet. I don't understand how Apple is capable of making such a more smoothly operating device.

If Verizon had carried the iPhone, I would certainly be using it. But as it turns out, I became addicted to Blackberries with my purchasing of the Pearl several years ago. I thought the STorm would be the logical bridge between the iPhone and my new love for BB's, but now I'm not so sure.

Bottom line is for now I don't understand what happened to my phone and why the screen is doing this. I'm probably gonna take it to Verizon first chance I get, but in the mean time are there any opinions as to why it's doing that? Dust?
    02-13-09 10:57 AM
    And secondly, can anyone honestly say that the screen doesn't feel ...clunky?

It's not awful, just not what I expected it to be like at all. Especially given all the hype surrounding this phone, and it being a Blackberry and all, I expected more from the screen.

It seems like the touchscreen was an afterthought. In essence, I feel like RIM slapped a touchscreen on a Blackberry instead of designing a Blackberry with a touch screen, if that makes any sense.
    02-13-09 10:59 AM
    Some of the phones just have that "defect" sort of speak. There are home remedies for it, or you can just exchange it. Here
    Let me google that for you
    02-13-09 11:02 AM
    The clickable screen is horrible in execution. It makes typing texts almost unbearable
    The touch screen is tolerable
    Umm, contradictory?

Again, if you dislike it this much, I just don't think the phone is right for you. Better to realize it now and make the return then 30 days later when it's too late.
    02-13-09 11:11 AM
    Lots of hardware porblems, and the OS and software is *VERY* unpolished and buggy, much more so than the original iPhone almost two years ago.
    02-13-09 11:13 AM
    IMO, the touchscreen is horribly executed, but it's still tolerable to me given that I like mostly everything else about the phone.
    02-13-09 11:14 AM
    Call VZW support and tell them that there is stuff under your screen and ask for a replacement. This happened to mine and they sent me a new one 2nd day FedEx no questions asked. Also i have seemed to notice that ppl with Storms that were made in Canada have more problems with this issue. The ones made in Mexico seem to be bettter (Someone explain that one since RIM is a Canadian based company)
    02-13-09 11:15 AM
    And whoever said I dislike the phone? I merely dislike the screen, the way it's designed, and the fact that the entire bottom left quadrant of the screen is not clicking. I'd say that's a pretty bad problem, no?
    02-13-09 11:15 AM
    And whoever said I dislike the phone? I merely dislike the screen, the way it's designed, and the fact that the entire bottom left quadrant of the screen is not clicking. I'd say that's a pretty bad problem, no?
    You definitely have a defected one then cause my screen works fine
    02-13-09 11:16 AM
    Then swap it out. The click screen is like the focal point of the phone. I personally love it. I love typing on it. And dont think I could ever go back to a regular touch screen. But thats my opinion. You're entitled to your own. But if you're unhappy, return it for another one, and if still unhappy, wait it out for something you will be happy with.
    02-13-09 11:19 AM
    The ones made in Mexico seem to be bettter (Someone explain that one since RIM is a Canadian based company)
    We're Mexicans. We do everything well. Not just mow lawns!
    ~D
    02-13-09 11:19 AM
    And the mere fact that I am not the only one with this problem indicates the quality of the screen is sub par right off the bat.

I just think it's kind of obvious RIM rushed this phone through development to launch in time for Christmas.

It's a stupid thing what companies do in order to release products before the holidays, I would think they'd make more money through less returns/refunds if they actually waited until the product was better designed/tested before releasing it.
    02-13-09 11:20 AM
    According to the very name of this forum, this is the place to vent a little, and that's all I'm doing =P.

I don't mean or intend to get under anyone's skin.
    02-13-09 11:21 AM
    Lots of hardware porblems, and the OS and software is *VERY* unpolished and buggy, much more so than the original iPhone almost two years ago.
    Returning the phone does come with a downside, you miss out on all the Sally Naysayers. Who oddly enough, still own the Storm despite frequently calling it out.

02-13-09 11:22 AM
    Returning the phone does come with a downside, you miss out on all the Sally Naysayers. Who oddly enough, still own the Storm despite frequently calling it out.

Because it's a good phone. It is possible to be on the fence, not downright loving or hating it.

It does a lot of things well, and IMO, it does a few things poorly.

Sometimes things are a lovely shade of grey, and not black and white.

Perhaps these "Sally Naysayers" who still hang onto the phone are people like myself, who love certain things about the phone, but are annoyed by other aspects of it, and come to the appropriate board to vent/ask for advice.
    02-13-09 11:24 AM
    If you are that unimpressed, returning the phone sounds smart.
    Quoted for truth. With the 30-day trial period there's absolutely no reason for all the hating on the Storm. Don't like it? Return it. Especially if your beef is with something as fundamental to the design as the touchscreen itself.
    02-16-09 09:33 PM

Ever consider that our Storms are supplied by the company that we work for, and changing to a different model BB is not an option?

02-17-09 06:38 PM
    Returning the phone does come with a downside, you miss out on all the Sally Naysayers.
    Forget Sally dude. Her sister Nancy is WAYYYY hotter.
    02-17-09 06:49 PM

Well, better than not owning it and claiming to know all the faults
    02-17-09 06:53 PM
    Back to the OP (if your still out there); you posted this on the 13th, any chance you returned it and got a replacement. The screen should not do that at all.
    02-17-09 07:00 PM
    The ones made in Mexico seem to be bettter (Someone explain that one since RIM is a Canadian based company)
    hehe.. all the casings were made in Mexico. Everything else is assembled in Canada at RIM. There was some tin-foil hat confusion over the "Made in Mexico" on many of the casings.

There is no difference except in your head or in a defective device.
    02-17-09 07:27 PM
    Oh no... You must be new here. You cannot talk bad about this phone in these parts. The children get upset and start to throw tantrums. You must worship this cheaply made toy... Errr... Device!

Seriously, return it and wait for the Bold. More power with less hassle and a physical keyboard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-09 07:45 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD