I did my first OS upgrade. I'll admit I was bit nervous being a newb, but it worked out. So to all the newbies wanting to try, as long as you follow the directions exactly, you'll be fine. Thanks to all the people who post the "how tos " on here. And the lag is horrible on the key board but the accuracy is better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-09 06:10 PM
    I'm with you. I just did my first leaked upgrade to .99 and I have to admit, I was a little disappointed that it wasn't THAT much better than .75. I really miss my blue finger follow (it's stupid, I know) and I feel like my browser is a little slower.

All in all though, the update process was incredibly easy due to the help from all the How to... forums.
    02-06-09 06:35 PM
    U can't brick a blackberry from what i've read.

With that in mind, it makes updating the OS a lot easier.
    02-06-09 07:28 PM

As long as you back everything up, you will be OK, even after an Error 507........
    02-06-09 07:36 PM

You can't totally brick it, BUT you can cause yourself hours of headaches as well as lose ALL your 3rd party apps. The key is to follow the backup instructions. Before you mess with the BB do a full backup AND follow CX's instructions to back up your 3rd Party Apps.

I've lost my OS twice while updating (error 507) BUT both times I was fine because I had full backups and 3rd Party Apps backups.
    02-06-09 07:58 PM
    Oh baby it was a breeze!

I actually did mine by accident, but I am proud to say I donot have any of the hick-ups other experienced! My O.S. 99 is running just like the O.S.75 but WAY faster!

This is the OS for me!
    02-06-09 08:59 PM
    I did my first OS upgrade. I'll admit I was bit nervous being a newb, but it worked out. So to all the newbies wanting to try, as long as you follow the directions exactly, you'll be fine. Thanks to all the people who post the "how tos " on here. And the lag is horrible on the key board but the accuracy is better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Congrats. As long as you follow the guides instructions you should have no problems. You will continue to be nervous for the next 10 upgrades or so, but don't worry if you run into trouble, CB will help.

You can't totally brick it, BUT you can cause yourself hours of headaches as well as lose ALL your 3rd party apps. The key is to follow the backup instructions. Before you mess with the BB do a full backup AND follow CX's instructions to back up your 3rd Party Apps.

I've lost my OS twice while updating (error 507) BUT both times I was fine because I had full backups and 3rd Party Apps backups.

Yes, actually you can "brick" the device beyond the average persons recovery abilities. But it does not happen very often. 95% of the time a BlackBerry is always recoverable.
    02-06-09 09:03 PM
    I felt the same way when I first did it, now I can't wait for the next time I get to......
    02-06-09 09:06 PM
    i took the plunge today too, went from .75 to .99. the qwerty in portrait was worth it :P. I miss the color depth already, but it's been working great for my otherwise.
    02-07-09 03:32 AM
    Congrats. As long as you follow the guides instructions you should have no problems. You will continue to be nervous for the next 10 upgrades or so, but don't worry if you run into trouble, CB will help.

Yes, actually you can "brick" the device beyond the average persons recovery abilities. But it does not happen very often. 95% of the time a BlackBerry is always recoverable.
    I'm very interested in the other 5%.... Not as in happening to me, but as in CX tell us a story please
    02-07-09 03:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD