Hi there. I have watched these videos and it seems like in portrait mode, you can ONLY use sure type. What's the deal? Can you switch out? This is totally a deal breaker for me personally because I do not want to use the phone in a landscape mode to send texts, which frequently involves me using one hand at the moment on my Curve.
    10-22-08 04:01 AM
    Then I guess you won't be getting a Storm. When in portrait mode suretype is the only way to type.. Sorry, but whats the big deal of using it in landscape mode? and sure type is pretty good once u get used to it.
    10-22-08 04:32 AM
    The entire reason I got the curve was not to have to use the Pearl's stupid way of typing. I don't want to have to double click. When you're typing something lengthy, it's really annoying. Are we SURE there is no way to fix this??

We all have personal preferences with these phones.
    10-22-08 04:37 AM
    The Verizon training manual for the Storm that was posted up on the main page a few days back claims that you can set either SureType or Multi Tap (1 number and 3 letters per key) as your default Portrait mode keyboard.
    10-22-08 04:58 AM
    The entire reason I got the curve was not to have to use the Pearl's stupid way of typing. I don't want to have to double click. When you're typing something lengthy, it's really annoying. Are we SURE there is no way to fix this??

We all have personal preferences with these phones.
    Don't mistake SureType for multitap. They are not the same. When using SureType, like I am right now on my pearl, you do not have to double tap to get any of the letters. The device uses predictive text or basically t9 to determine what word you are trying to type by what button combination you press. Don't knock it until you try it. I thought it was gonna suck also but I can type as fast as someone with a curve and faster than anybodies iphone so you should try it first.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-08 06:19 AM
    I personally don't like the t9, that's one reason I got the 8830, it has a full QWERTY keyboard.

This isn't going to stop me from getting the phone, but it would be nice if we had the option to use a full QWERTY keyboard in portrait mode.
    10-22-08 07:13 AM
    My brother's phone has SureType (HTC Touch) and he bought that while I had the iPhone. After using his phone to type a text message for him, I saw that the SureType (with predictive text) was incredibly easy and fast to use...
    Granted though, I also have no problem turning the phone to landscape to type if I want QWERTY.
    To each his own, I guess.
    10-22-08 07:28 AM
    I don't understand how everyone hear types on a qwerty keyboard with one hand. I find it annoying typing with one hand on my pearl...

10-22-08 07:33 AM
    when i had my pearl i could type faster on it then with my curve. Once the pearl learns your common words i think its faster. I always typed with 2 hands also.
    10-22-08 07:38 AM
    I'm fairly certain some 3rd party developer, somewhere, is asking themselves the very same question..."can I write an app that'll allow someone to Qwerty within portrait view?".

The problem is that being a touchscreen, you're allowed only so much of a degree of sensitivity within a specific area, before the surrounding area reacts to the same touch. And some of you people out there have pretty fat fingers.
    RIM probably tested a qwerty-style layout-in-portrait-mode early in the Storms development, but the smaller area per button likely lead to a lot of mistakes in typing.

So the Storm may not be for everyone - I guess you really have to be willing to accept both the good with the bad when it comes to touchscreen handhelds.
    But RIM has a few new products coming out soon, for the people who adore their teeny buttons & trackball - so they've got something to cheer about too!

Personally, I rarely ever bang out a message or eMail with one hand - so the Storm is something I'd be interested to try out in the store. (Whenever that is...)
    10-22-08 07:51 AM
    I'm fairly certain some 3rd party developer, somewhere, is asking themselves the very same question..."can I write an app that'll allow someone to Qwerty within portrait view?".

The problem is that being a touchscreen, you're allowed only so much of a degree of sensitivity within a specific area, before the surrounding area reacts to the same touch. And some of you people out there have pretty fat fingers.
    RIM probably tested a qwerty-style layout-in-portrait-mode early in the Storms development, but the smaller area per button likely lead to a lot of mistakes in typing.

So the Storm may not be for everyone - I guess you really have to be willing to accept both the good with the bad when it comes to touchscreen handhelds.
    But RIM has a few new products coming out soon, for the people who adore their teeny buttons & trackball - so they've got something to cheer about too!

Personally, I rarely ever bang out a message or eMail with one hand - so the Storm is something I'd be interested to try out in the store. (Whenever that is...)
    Hence the problems with typing on an iphone. I think the main reason RIM did not include this and mAde it sure type was because they wanted to allow you a big enough area to touch without making an error. They want you to be able to type fast and not worry about hitting the wrong key. And since the screen is a Tad bit smaller than the iphone they know that a full qwerty would probably cause a lot of errors.

10-22-08 08:10 AM
    So... Basically in landscape and portrait mode... You can use multitap? ... I hope so. This is the only way I like to type on my blackberry.
    10-22-08 09:27 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/about-keyboard-84438/

I had same concern, see above thread.
    10-22-08 09:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD