I think it really depends how neurotic you are.

If you want a screen that clicks absolutely perfectly, that doesn't wiggle at all, that has its hardware buttons firmly 100% attached with no wiggle, and rarely if ever crashes, then yeah, you'll probably need to go through 3-4 replacements.

Regarding the Touch Pro, no thanks, at least not from Verizon. They've got some nerve to cripple the hardware (decreased mem), cheapen the overall look (as compared to the TP offered by AT&T/Sprint), AND THEN! charge more money for it.

No thank you.
    12-24-08 10:48 AM
    i have had the storm almost since launch.. i am on my second storm.. screen sucked on first one.. and it does onthis one too but i jus used the business card trick which i dont like to use but it works... email is not a must for me so idc about that... but i mean have u guys seen some of the omnias good points in comparison.. wifi a big + much slimmer.. and will be able to use fennec when it is realeased.. ships with opera anyway...

comments, points, opinions.. thanks.
    A BB Storm, or ANY BB for that matter that is not used for Email is pretty useless to say the least.

Get the Omnia, please. Someone out there that NEEDS a BB storm should get one...You just sold yourself on the Omnia drooling over its features so...GET IT!
    12-24-08 10:52 AM
    What about the HTC TOUCH PRO

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    This is a good phone, and I'll send you Tom Tom Nav for PPC if you need it.
    12-24-08 10:54 AM
    i have had the storm almost since launch.. i am on my second storm.. screen sucked on first one.. and it does onthis one too but i jus used the business card trick which i dont like to use but it works... email is not a must for me so idc about that... but i mean have u guys seen some of the omnias good points in comparison.. wifi a big + much slimmer.. and will be able to use fennec when it is realeased.. ships with opera anyway...

It amazes me when people ask 1000+ strangers on what phone THEY should have.
    12-24-08 10:57 AM
    There have been some very good info shared here, and I too have been debating jumping ship to the omnia... Going to wait for the official firmware to come out, and to see what the audio quality is on the bluetooth set I hope to get for xmas before I make any returns.

I've done a ton of research on the omnia, and here are my general opinions. I too love the optical mouse it provides. I feel it accomplishes everything the click thru tech the storm has for web browsing - allowing you to know EXACTLY what you are selecting before you commit to it. I think it is even better at clicking small links than the storm screen because I will often cover up the entire link with my thumb on the storm and not see what link is highlighted, making it more prone to errors. And I find the cursor mode needing some more update love on the storm ... Just not precise enough without a lot of zooming. Further, the omnia simply offers a better browsing experience with opera mobile+wifi.

And everyone here who has been complaining about ease of use, UI shortcomings, etc, there are several fixes available:

1. Clunky UI: yes, windows mobile blows getting from one program to another, but once you get to that program things are ok. SOLUTION: google/youtube SPB shell and iFonz skin. They are programs that lay atop WinMo and make getting around MUCH more friendly. Further, iFonz is free!

2. Typing is bad on omnia! First off I'll say that I don't agree. I've had practice writing emails on my friends omnia and have found the autocorrect feature light years ahead of the storms. Have you noticed that the storm can only recognize a word and autocorrect it if its only 1 letter off? The omnia would be able to correct words that only have about half the letters correct because it takes into account the locations of the incorrect letters and guesses what words you meant to spell based on the proximity of other letters. And even if that doesn't do it for you guess what! There are other programs such as SPB keyboard which have more space-optimized solutions. And as for typing on the storm(as I am doing now) thumbs DO actually begin to get a bit stiff from clicking each key... I never realized before typing a long post. If RIM would allow turning off click for typing and improving the auto correct to match samsungs I'd be very happy.

3. BBs are email king! Well I can't really say one way or the other since I've never owned a winmo, but I don't like how with bb you must buy $40(I believe its around there) software just to view embedded images in your emails. Also, I've been informed that winmo does offer true push if its important to you, which you said it wasn't, and neither is for me.

My real priorities in my phone is to be a good/great all-in-one device. To me blackberries fall under the exceptional-in-one catagory, email. I want a decent camera on my phone because I refuse to purchase a digital camera, and I'm getting fed up of missing wonderful picture opportunities due to the storms terrible shutter lag. Media is good on both phones ; omnia supports more formats, but loses points from not having a 3,5 mm jack. And btw, the longer screen means more actual play area for videos. Less black bar space. Oh and for media space omnia wins hands down. 8 gb internal for omnia vs 1 gb in storm.

So those are most of my thoughts on the omnia. If I think of more ill put em down, but right now my thumbs are sore lol!
    12-24-08 11:23 AM
    The screen length is the same the Storm screen is wider....
    12-24-08 11:28 AM
    I have the Omnia, I decided to go with it after reading so many posts in this forum.

The keyboard:
    Portrait mode does leave a lot to be desired, but it is workable, the landscape mode keyboard is better.

The lag:
    It's possible that when those of you who sampled the Omnia in the store, you didn't kill any of the tasks that may have been running after others have also played with it.

The only lag I ever had was switching from landscape to portrait or vice versa when using IE. I don't use IE on the Omnia or on my desktop so that really isn't an issue for me.
    The accelerometer never lags outside of using IE.

The interface:
    So many people here seem to think that you absolutely have to use the widgets interface. I turned that off the day I got it because it doesn't allow for real customizations. You can use the standard windows mobile interface. I also installed a different launcher so that I can access my most frequently used apps right from the today screen.

The screen:
    The resolution isn't as good as the Storm, but it's better than my 700P so I'm ok with it.

Email:
    It works fine with my roadrunner account.

Overall I really like the Omnia. Switching to windows mobile was a bit of a learning curve for me, but I've made the adjustment.

I can sync with my work PC to get my meetings and tasks right on my today screen.

I love the voice activated dialing via my BT headset. I also love that it actually reads my text messages, emails, and announces my incoming calls to me through my headset. It can be disabled if it's something you don't like.

I installed an app that allows me to create ringtones from the mp3's right on the phone.

I love Opera mobile. It's so much better than the Opera mini I tried to use on my 700P. It locked up almost every time.
    It has a video editor, FM radio, and TV out capability.

I also installed:

Vito ringtone editor, it allows me to create ringtones right on the phone from my mp3's.
    A weather app that shows the weather on my today screen
    Music ID (identifies songs by listening).
    Vox app for blogging.
    Youtube play for viewing and saving youtube videos
    Various games.

No phone is perfect for everyone. I keep coming here to read about the Storm because I'd still like to have one, possibly in it's next generation.
    Who knows, I might even go back to Palm if/when they ever get their Linux OS off the ground.
    12-24-08 11:29 AM
    Ok, guys I've seen so many touch screen phones like the delve, omnia, dare, etc. They all look the same to me, I chose the Storm and love it. My friends have the phones above I listed, and the Storm is at least 5x better. But, that's just my opinion. Hope it helps a little.
    12-24-08 11:30 AM
    Well, fwiw, when I went in to my local Verizon kiosk- (to confirm if the return period had indeed been extended)... both the clerks there were using the Omnia as their personal phones. Including the guy that sold me the Storm! They were raving about it as I told them that if the video recording bug wasn't ironed out by the 15th I'm ditchin' the Storm.
    The biggest plus for me was the light weight, the Storm is a brick by comparison. I'm not crazy about going back to Windows Mobile although 6.1 has some cool features. The Storm's image quality and screen resolution is of course much superior to the Omnia's. Prolly cause it's plastic. That dangling stylus is just about the most god awful thing I've ever seen, I wouldn't be caught dead carrying something that stupid looking. The optical mouse is way cool though. I'm in the same boat as the OP though... if BlackBaerry is such a superior finely crafted machine why did they release such a buggy device? I've been to the Omnia forums and there aren't nearly as many complaints over there.
    12-24-08 11:42 AM
    The screen length is the same the Storm screen is wider....
    Forgive me for mis-stating: I meant that a greater percentage of the omnias screen is taken up by the video playback since it has such a wide screen aspect ratio.
    12-24-08 11:51 AM
    Forgive me for mis-stating: I meant that a greater percentage of the omnias screen is taken up by the video playback since it has such a wide screen aspect ratio.
    No prob; by the way. I do think the Omnia is nice. Just went with the Storm;
    screen size and res yes and the cool factor of it. I cant really bash the Omnia; it just comes down to whatever blows your hair back.
    12-24-08 12:18 PM
    In regards to the camera on the storm, has anyone who has updated to .83 noticed an improvement in the shutter lag?
    12-24-08 01:32 PM
    05-19-09 06:27 PM
    Colleague has an Omnia... I have played with it... don't like it... screen is not glass and not capacitive... and like others have stated the UI is terrible.

I say stick with the Storm... install 4.7.0.141 and call it a day... its leaps and bounds above 4.7.0.75 that it is loaded with from VZW.
    05-19-09 06:39 PM
    For me it was neck and neck between the Omnia and my Storm. In the end, the buggy OS of WinMo, and the non intuitive feel of the phone turned me into a Storm purchaser...

Good luck on your decision...I'm sure if you go to the Omnia forum you'll get different responses!

Steve in So Cal
    05-19-09 07:01 PM
    you would need a stylus just to make the omnia funtionable. it feels like a knockoff phone, or a prepaid touchscreen. if you just want a phone for looks then get it.
    05-19-09 07:01 PM
    I'm not a huge fan of WinMo, but the concept of the phone is great. The fact of the matter is that the UI on any blackberry is much more intuitive and organized. I searched forums comparing the two before I got my storm and most of them actually said that the Omnia was better (e.g. cnet prizefight). I then went to the store with every intent of purchasing the omnia but found the phone very "cheap" feeling. The camera may have more MP, but the quality is actually not much better and if you want wifi I would suggest waiting another month to find out if the rumors about the Storm 2/Oden are true. BTW...you can't beat blackberry when it comes to e-mail/messaging if that's what you're looking for.
    05-19-09 07:35 PM
    If you value being able to type I would stick with the storm haha. Also once you have gotten use to using a device with a capacitive screen, switching to one with a resistive screen will most likely prove to be pretty irritating and "backwards" feeling.
    05-19-09 09:45 PM
    this post is extremely old you should let it go away as the OP has long made his decision by now
    05-19-09 10:42 PM

Yea thats what I thought but a lol read this http://forums.crackberry.com/f133/br...ir-lol-207182/
    05-19-09 11:11 PM
    I have to disagree with the prevailing opinion that the Omnia being a "lesser" phone... The facts are that it's OLDER...

Negative feedback:
    The screen is not up to par with newer release, but this release has 2 years of service on it, it's just new to CDMA
    The processor isn't as fast as the newer models
    The onboard memory is just whacked - it doesn't hold - not a leak, but just a bear to keep clear
    Apps install in weird spots - on previous WinMo phones cabs would install either to a card or system storage memory - here it just eats up more app memory even when installed elsewhere
    You have to reformat your onboard storage somewhat often The UI is just strange after using a BB for so long
    You have to run 'Wireless Sync' from VZW to get true 'push' mail

Now, the pluses:
    The camera is far superior to the Storm, the video mode is even better
    WinMo has a billion free apps to tune up the interface - and many more for a modest amount - not $10 a theme for good ones
    The keyboard in portrait mode works great with the stylus - and the landscape keyboard is no worse than any other touch screen keyboard on the market today
    The OS's don't have memory leaks nearly to the effect that the Storm does

I could go on all day since I have about 50-50 on Omnia's vs. Storms on my IT list right now...
    05-19-09 11:53 PM
    i am going to say you gotta keep the storm man! or get another blackberry!!!! thats how i roll
    05-20-09 12:53 AM
    I had the omnia for a while as I was a long time wimo user/fan. Then I switched to the storm just to give it a try, and I gotta say I like the storm best so far. The OS updates have made the storm by far better than its original os release, and it keeps getting better. Get the storm. Its more stable, and easier to use than the Omnia IMHO. The screen is way nicer and the interface is much better especially with all the great themes out there. My 2 cents.
    05-20-09 04:05 AM
    Omnia is okay but it's so laggy. Also windows mobile isn't really mobile at all. Even if you skin it, it's still really hard to do anything on the phone.
    yep i agree with dmg
    05-20-09 05:29 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD