i have had the storm almost since launch.. i am on my second storm.. screen sucked on first one.. and it does onthis one too but i jus used the business card trick which i dont like to use but it works... email is not a must for me so idc about that... but i mean have u guys seen some of the omnias good points in comparison.. wifi a big + much slimmer.. and will be able to use fennec when it is realeased.. ships with opera anyway...

comments, points, opinions.. thanks.
    12-18-08 06:44 PM
    i have had the storm almost since launch.. i am on my second storm.. screen sucked on first one.. and it does onthis one too but i jus used the business card trick which i dont like to use but it works... email is not a must for me so idc about that... but i mean have u guys seen some of the omnias good points in comparison.. wifi a big + much slimmer.. and will be able to use fennec when it is realeased.. ships with opera anyway...

comments, points, opinions.. thanks.
    Please do not take this the wrong way but a search using the word omnia turns up many posts. Give it a try.

This is what I turned up
    http://forums.crackberry.com/search....archid=7668687
    12-18-08 06:49 PM
    Omnia interface is hideous.

Omnia keyboard is useless in portrait mode and poorly laid out in landscape mode.

Awful.
    12-18-08 06:50 PM
    omina belows me. and im not a bb/storm fanboy.. but omina is poorly functioned
    12-18-08 06:51 PM
    Storm has many other features but if you're not interested in email, or not a must for you as you say, why would you select any BB in the first place? That's what it excels it and what most people buy it for, and generally love it for the most.

The abundance of software for WinMo is huge and as you say, it has WiFi if that's a plus to you. Except when wandering Europe on my personal travels, coffee shop WiFi hotspots are meaningless to me and not worth the money since most are pay-for-use. Omnia won't work very well with SMS or phone calls when I'm in Turkey for several weeks in January. Also, Omnia's screen resolution is sub-par in my opinion, especially since there's a higher res version T*Omnia that's 800x480 instead of 400x280. Will Vzw ever have it? Who knows.
    Last edited by ArizonaGuy; 12-18-08 at 06:57 PM.
    12-18-08 06:54 PM
    go put your hands on a omnia and make the decision.. to be honest I put my hands on it and the 2 devices aren't even in the same category.

The only thing the same is that there touch screens..

I felt as if the omnia should be a 50 dollar phone.

the screen on the storm is light years ahead..

and the transitions looked like I was sitting on a pc from 1995.

I am not saying it wont work for some people. However when I can have a storm for 200 bucks its definitely not worth it.

Those that are winmo fans may like the thing a lot but a winmo fan I am not.
    12-18-08 06:56 PM
    I am new to the BB. I tried both the Omnia and the storm in the store and then made my decision. I would suggest you do the same. Take an hour on each. That will push you in the right direction.

My storm is just 3 days old. I have not had any of the screen problems to which others are referring.
    12-24-08 07:53 AM
    I had very high hopes for the Omnia, but after playing with one for 45 minutes it felt like a knock off phone one would find in some Hong Kong back alley from "Samsrung".

Lowish resolution screen, busy interface. From a (strict) usability and interface standpoint Storm dominates.

However that's just me. I strongly recommend you go to a VZW store and plant yourself in front of one and play play play.
    12-24-08 08:11 AM
    I think you should get the Omnia, then join the Ominia forum and discuss the differences (i.e. why you liked the Storm better and should you get the HTP Pro or stay with the Omnia).
    12-24-08 08:12 AM
    not that i am an expert or anything here but i got a storm a week ago and have had very few issues. now when i went to pick out my phone i was choosing between the omnia dn the storm. the best advice is to out them both in your hands. omnia interface is crap and very "laggy". storm was crisp and i am sure RIM will continue to drop updates and fix, where omnia may just elave you hanging.
    12-24-08 08:13 AM
    go put your hands on a omnia and make the decision.. to be honest I put my hands on it and the 2 devices aren't even in the same category.

The only thing the same is that there touch screens..

I felt as if the omnia should be a 50 dollar phone.

the screen on the storm is light years ahead..

and the transitions looked like I was sitting on a pc from 1995.

I am not saying it wont work for some people. However when I can have a storm for 200 bucks its definitely not worth it.

Those that are winmo fans may like the thing a lot but a winmo fan I am not.

I second everything in this post, I was in a Verizon store yesterday and messed around with it for awhile. I may be used to the BB OS, but the omnia was difficult for me to navigate. The transition from portrait to landscape was slow. The effects made the transition look cool, but in the end all it did was delay the actual transitions.

The use of the omnia only confirmed that the Storm is the right choice for me (bugs and all).
    12-24-08 08:15 AM
    Have you gone into the store and actually played with the Omnia?

I did before buying the storm in the interface was horrendous, the keypad smalled than the storm, and it was overall a bad experience.

On paper it looks like an awesome smartphone, but I highly suggest trying it out in the store.
    12-24-08 08:18 AM
    just to be fair, you ARE in blackberry forum -- even more so a storm forum.

If you want an unbiased opinion youre going to have to form one yourself.

But I love my storm even with the few issues I have with it.
    12-24-08 08:29 AM
    Omnia is okay but it's so laggy. Also windows mobile isn't really mobile at all. Even if you skin it, it's still really hard to do anything on the phone.
    12-24-08 08:32 AM
    HTC touch pro is the only winmo smart phone i would consider from verizon. Having said that the samsung really needs the stylus to make it functional but the horrible part of that is that the stylus hangs from it like you are some tween with lip gloss on the ready in case a boy you know sees you at the mall. It looks nice but seriously play with it and then think about the htc device.. That says a lot cause i hate htc phones.
    12-24-08 08:37 AM
    if you question the all mighty BB then go to samsung lol.
    12-24-08 08:42 AM
    in my opinion from using WM on phones like the Moto Q it sucks really really bad bb is better so thats something to think about another thing is I know them omnia has the personalizable home screen but when bb storm gets themes its gonna be so cool and the omnia is laggy so is the storm at times but future os's will fix this but those themes are gonna be great but whatever you choose good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    12-24-08 08:46 AM
    from playing with the two phones in the store, im not sure how anyone ever makes the decision to go with the omnia
    12-24-08 08:55 AM
    What about the HTC TOUCH PRO

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-08 08:58 AM
    What about the HTC TOUCH PRO

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Its a bit more expensive but i feel like its a better smart phone. HTC products always feel clunky to me but this one os ok.
    12-24-08 09:00 AM
    Honestly HTC TOUCH PRO is a good phne I like it but I LOVE my blackberry!
    12-24-08 09:03 AM
    HTC Touch Pro is a pretty good phone, but quite frankly the Storm has spoiled me to expect quick/snappy/productive interfacing without the need of a stylus.

Stylus boo!
    12-24-08 09:23 AM
    I have to agree with most of these post on paper the Omnia looked like a super phone but the interface looks so basic and looks a lot more like the prada, also most of Winmo is just not touch friendly and i honestly hate the whole stylus thing, I see no practical benefits to the Omnia and its resistive screen and thrown together unintuitive OS, not the mention the price.
    Can agree the touch pro is much better and the touch pro and touch HD and diamond are some of better winmo devices, but truth is, for most operations you will end back up in winmo, with a scroll bar and mini keyboard and feeling all windows 98 like
    on another Winmo note wtf is up with the Xperia X1 its like the most failed smart phone concept ever, I looked at it when first announced but as it fleshed put there was no substance to the OS, other than the panels, it looked so have to navigate and do stuff on the clumsy all over the place OS that felt just like older SE phones not touch friendly at all, **** not user friendly
    12-24-08 09:29 AM
    I started a thread before on this; but I will say it again. If u have any hardware problems. Send the thing back get another one. I had my first one replaced; the second one is working fine.
    The Omnia my take; when I first had the chance to compare my Storm side by side with the dummy Omnia. Just looks alone it was a no brainer for me.
    Yes I am comfortable with win mo; but the Storm just does it for me. So I am sticking with it and I know in time the not too distant future it will be even better with the OS updates
    While the length of the screen is the same the Storm is wider which imho on a touch screen every little bit helps. I did eventually play with a live unit it was cool; maybe just the win mo familiarity, as well a new gadget.
    The Onmia has a lot of bells and whistles no doubt; but the Storm just does it. Also the Storm does have higher resolution which I do like.
    The overall build and quality of the Storm compared to the Omnia way out shines it. Plus here is one for u; the cool factor.
    Good luck make sure ya pick one that u can be happy with for at least a year. Me I thinks me will be waiting til the Storm II with a 4" screen comes out.
    Good luck
    12-24-08 09:40 AM
    Actually the Omnia is a pretty good phone. If you are considering it I suggest taking a look at a few reviews of it on youtube. If you are new to Windows Mobile it will help show you how to use the layout. Then go to the store and actually play with it for about an hour to see if you would really like to use it regularly.

Pros:

The landscape keyboard is pretty good and has about the same learning curve as the storm for me.

Other useful bits of note: More application support for Windows Mobile than the Store, granted this may change in the future.

The Omnia has an optical mouse at the bottom that is rather handy for the finer tasks in Windows Mobile and you won't need a stylus. (honestly my favorite part of the Omnia)

haptic feedback when you touch the screen. It may not click but the slight vibrate really helps to let you know if the phone registered your button press.

If you are a techie you can to a lot to Windows Mobile to customize the interface, use complete new ones in fact, this however is not for the feint of heart as you can really mess up the phone if you don't pay attention to what you are doing

Right now the GPS is locked down on the Omnia but word from Verizon is they are unlocking it in a January update.

Battery life is rather excellent and the phone is very light.

Has WiFi which is always nice

5 MP camera and the software to use it is very good. Does require some adjustment just like the Storm's camera but nowhere near as laggy when GPS is unlocked you can geotag with it

Front facing camera for video conferencing though not sure if this is working yet at launch I wasn't able to play with the phone enough to test

Cons:

The portrait keyboard is very narrow but you can change it to 9tap or SureType, which tend to be better for one handed typing anyway

You are running Windows Mobile which can be kinda a beast to run. It has a strong learning curve however once you learn how to use it, the OS is very robust

Uses Samsung's proprietary connectors, wish it would just use a mini USB port instead so you have to buy all new stuff if you never owned a Samsung phone before

Not a Blackberry, let's face it Blackberries get noticed, while the Omnia is a nice looking phone it still doesn't have the same appeal the Storm instantly draws

Many places in the WinMo interface require input that is just too small for fingers. The current ways around that is to keep trying with your stubby finger, use a stylus, or (my prefered method) use the optical mouse at the bottom for fine detail work.

Currently no central location for applications but there are places like Handango but you pay more for those applications

Stylus doesn't store on the phone but is a separate piece, there is a loop you can attach the pen stylus but then it looks like you have a dingle charm on your phone and that's girly looking. If that's your thing then not a problem.

Overall both are great phones, I haven't heard many hardware issues from the Omnia, only thing that's scaring me off from the Storm is hearing about how many people had to replace the phone 2-3 times to get one that actually works right...that's not a good sign. I will need to replace my phone in January and unless these issues seem to work out I'm not sure I want to take a chance on the Storm and deal with multiple returns until I get one that works.
    12-24-08 10:30 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD