Why the need for a Storm 2?

With the release of these leaked OS's for our current phone, the Storm's software is becoming quick and (increasingly) more seamless, consistently building to a more stable and pleasant OS. All Verizon has to do is release an official software update, and all of the "non-nerds," who don't visit CrackBerry everyday, won't complain that their phone "isn't as fast" as the iPhone.

And some don't like the SurePress screen, and I didn't either when I first got the phone because I couldn't type fast enough. However, with a couple rotations to loosen the screws in the back of the phone, I couldn't type faster if I wanted to. The click screen is GREAT, so long as RIM doesn't ship out their product with the screws too tight. An easy fix (and an incredibly stupid mistake by RIM).

From the Engaget video I just saw, it looks like the Storm 2 will have the same UI as the Storm 1, so what's the big deal? The device itself looks the same with some minor alterations, the software (from an initial impression of the homescreen) looks the same, and it doesn't have the SurePress, which, in my opinion, serves some valuable instrumental purposes.

Any thoughts on why RIM is rushing out with a brand new phone, spending unneeded funds on research and what not?
    05-21-09 11:14 PM
    This isn't being rushed. Imagine that they never stopped working on the Storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-09 11:18 PM
    I think the main reasons are these:

Too much lint collecting under the screens making viewing difficult especially in sunny locations.
    People aren't really digging the sure press tech
    Storm2 is suppose to add WiFi ~ a big plus for many as well as different ways to view videos and hear music files.
    05-21-09 11:19 PM
    I think the main reasons are these:

Too much lint collecting under the screens making viewing difficult especially in sunny locations.
    Storm2 is suppose to add WiFi ~ a big plus for many as well as different ways to view videos and hear music files.
    I agree with those two; I would also add that the buttons can pop off easily.
    Hence redeaux make the call and end keys a part of the screen.
    05-21-09 11:22 PM
    Just found this on IW:
    the four physical buttons that are placed at the bottom of the original Storm are gone and have been built into the screen of the device itself as touch-sensitive buttons. Overall, it is a bit thinner, but maintains many of the same specs.

Those specs include the 3.2-megapixel camera with flash and autofocus, microUSB port, 3.5mm headset jack, power button, lock key, volume toggle and several other buttons.

The biggest change, of course, is the fact that clicking SurePress display is gone, in favor of a regular touch-capacitive display that looks and acts more like the display on the iPhone.
    05-22-09 12:06 AM
    05-22-09 12:09 AM
    Any thoughts on why RIM is rushing out with a brand new phone, spending unneeded funds on research and what not?
    Did you ever consider that maybe version 1.0 was the rushed out one? Just saying.
    05-22-09 10:18 AM
    R&D never stops. Ford Motor Company already has mock ups of cars two years or more out. HP is planning PCs for the next few upgrades and releases. When companies stop innovating then they become static and soon go south.

Plus advances made in product ultimately help in many areas. Many things done by NASA have made positive changes in our lives. If Storm I was not to your liking, chances are Storm II will aggravate you until Storm III hits the market.
    05-22-09 10:23 AM
    I think it all depends on how fast the next Storm comes out to decide if you want to be upset or happy. If it doesn't come out until late fall then that's a year from first launch. Nothing wrong with that. Now if it comes out this summer, that's a whole different story. So we'll have to see when it happens.
    05-22-09 10:33 AM
    Why the need for a Storm 2?

With the release of these leaked OS's for our current phone, the Storm's software is becoming quick and (increasingly) more seamless, consistently building to a more stable and pleasant OS. All Verizon has to do is release an official software update, and all of the "non-nerds," who don't visit CrackBerry everyday, won't complain that their phone "isn't as fast" as the iPhone.

And some don't like the SurePress screen, and I didn't either when I first got the phone because I couldn't type fast enough. However, with a couple rotations to loosen the screws in the back of the phone, I couldn't type faster if I wanted to. The click screen is GREAT, so long as RIM doesn't ship out their product with the screws too tight. An easy fix (and an incredibly stupid mistake by RIM).

From the Engaget video I just saw, it looks like the Storm 2 will have the same UI as the Storm 1, so what's the big deal? The device itself looks the same with some minor alterations, the software (from an initial impression of the homescreen) looks the same, and it doesn't have the SurePress, which, in my opinion, serves some valuable instrumental purposes.

Do you think it is unusual for manufacturers to update their products?? It happens all the time across the board not just mobile devices. Nothing that is happening is out of the ordinary, so I'm not sure what the big deal is about.
    05-22-09 10:36 AM
    Why the need for a Storm 2? Maybe because the Storm 1 was an utter disappointment and for a company like RIM to release a product that bad is just absurd.

Is that good enough?
    05-22-09 10:46 AM
    Depends when storm 2 is released, if it is released late summer of this year then it is a knee- **** reaction by RIM.

If it is released this Christmas season or even early next year and it is just the usual R&D cycle.
    05-22-09 10:52 AM
    Why the need for a Storm 2

because you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear....and the storm 1 has the smell of bacon,,,,,
    05-22-09 10:52 AM
    Why the need for a Storm 2

because you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear....and the storm 1 has the smell of bacon,,,,,

You're wrong... The Storm smells like beef and cheese.
    05-22-09 11:38 AM
    Depends when storm 2 is released, if it is released late summer of this year then it is a Hail Mary by VZW.
    fixed : )

05-22-09 12:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD