Man the lack of memory on the storm and the memory leak inherent in the OS are killing me! Having to reboot daily is just too inconvenient, I go months without having to reboot my PC, but can't complete a day without having to reboot my phone!

This is not new, some folks might remember my post a few months back where I ran a test to see how long my phone would last without a reboot. The average result was 1-3 days.

Well lately I've installed a few apps that should have only taken up a total of .9MB. The result is that I boot from 15MB to 7MB of free memory. The result is I can't even last a half the day without a reboot.

Out of frustration I've decided to wipe my phone clean and only install a few apps only. The absolute must have or used daily apps.

Check this out , after the wipe I was booting with 48MB. I installed

Google Maps
    Pandora
    Scope Mobile

I am now at 32 MB of memory. I have not restored my contacts/task/calendar/memos yet.

So after only after 16hrs and 5 apps I'm down 16MB.

Let's see if this will help in the stability of this phone unfortunately it also means I will not be able to use many of the apps I found very useful on this phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-10 03:26 PM
    welcome to the blackberry storm 9530s shortcomings. something RIM did not account for, also something they improved upon in the 9550 and further in devices like the 9650 with 512MB of application memory.

tweak all you like, but the fact is the storm did not come with nearly enough memory to run rich applications. sorry, its one of the big reasons i can't wait to upgrade from my storm :/
    06-20-10 11:08 PM
    What OS are you running? On the most recent OS's (like .419) I was experiencing very minimal memory leak when I had my S1. I had over 30 apps installed, including several (such as SmartGuard) that ran in the background at all times. I would boot up with about 23 MB of RAM and it would take about a week to get down around 10 MB, then it would pretty much hold there. I only rebooted my 9530 about every week or two unless installing/updating apps.

As for the S2, well, it holds at around 100 MB and aside from app installs/updates, I think I've only rebooted it two times in the 4 months or so I've had it.
    06-21-10 02:03 AM
    @snork Yeah I hear you, in the end I mainly use my device for messaging(text/emails), and a PDA(calendar, task, notes). I'm going to limit the amount of apps I install and hope that this will make the phone more reliable. So far I've had the phone running for one day and I'm still at 35MB. It dropped a little but still good

@chuck
    I'm running 328, the latest official Verizon update. I shrank the OS to give me some extra free MB.

Not surprised the S2 is more reliable, I've always felt like the main reason the S1 was so problematic was the lack of memory. I'm hoping the free memory I've allocated will allow the S1 to run more reliably. Day 1 and counting
    06-21-10 01:43 PM
    There's probably just one or two crap apps causing the trouble. I have about 10 3rd party apps installed and my memory sometimes dips around 15mb but never low enough to slow the phone down. Reboots are too far apart to remember (weeks/months). I have Google maps, gmail, opera mini, weatherbug, slacker, podtrapper, blackstar, opentable, edocrab, amazon, and bbssh installed along with RIM AIM, twitter, facebook, app world, and the rest of the stock OS with no shrinking going on. I must just be lucky, because that seems like a lot but there are no slowdowns even without any magic memory tool running/rebooting. Do skype/scope/socialbeat run in the background? I avoid backgrounded apps other than AIM, google maps, and weatherbug, maybe that's the trick.
    Last edited by jeffmeden; 06-21-10 at 03:02 PM.
    06-21-10 02:57 PM
    Okay since my first post I had to wipe my device because I was having sync issues

Here is the new list of apps that I'm running.
    Robot scheduler
    Google map
    Google sync
    Opera Mini
    Pandora
    PodTrapper
    QuickLaunch
    ScoreMobile
    Vuvuzela(guilty, sorry I had to)

Contacts and calendar are synced

Edit: I just lost two MB during the process of writing this post.

After two days exactly the result has been promising. I'm down to 23MB and have not needed to reboot. While it is inconvenient not having my apps it. Is quite refreshing not having to reboot daily.

I'm interested in how long I can go without a reboot. In my previous test the max time was three days

=X=

06-22-10 10:24 PM
    i'm surprised that you're surprised with these results, lol!
    06-22-10 11:01 PM
    I have 57mb Free (Storm 1), and my free space only goes down around 0.4 mb per day. Then again i stripped the OS down to virtually nothing (I have a non-bb data plan). Seems like something in the background is being lame.
    06-22-10 11:14 PM
    Okay since my first post I had to wipe my device because I was having sync issues

Here is the new list of apps that I'm running.
    Robot scheduler
    Google map
    Google sync
    Opera Mini
    Pandora
    PodTrapper
    QuickLaunch
    ScoreMobile
    Vuvuzela(guilty, sorry I had to)

Contacts and calendar are synced

Edit: I just lost two MB during the process of writing this post.

After two days exactly the result has been promising. I'm down to 23MB and have not needed to reboot. While it is inconvenient not having my apps it. Is quite refreshing not having to reboot daily.

I'm interested in how long I can go without a reboot. In my previous test the max time was three days

=X=

What can't you do exactly? Stay away from the crap apps and you can forget about needing to reboot. I go two or three weeks at least, and even then it's only when I need to update or install/uninstall an app.
    06-23-10 08:37 AM
    Well what I want able to do was go a day without having to reboot. Heck I'll push the envelope and ask for a week. Prior to me wiping the device my phone would lock up or slow down so much I would have to reboot. I wish I could forget about rebooting but my storm won't let me.

It's not to much to ask or expect. My wife Eris has only needed two reboots in 6mo. And she does all the stuff I do on my phone with hers.

Yes in the end I agree with you that I have to reduce the number of apps I use which is unfortunate, because those apps do enhance the smartphone experience.

06-23-10 01:43 PM
    Well I might be staying the obvious conclusion to my short little test, but here it goes.

After completely wiping my device and only adding absolute necessary apps the stability of the storm has greatly improved.

So far I've managed to squeeze out 5 days before having to reboot.

The memory leaks are bad still and I loose about 5MB of RAM a day. There are days when I do get memory back but most of the time it's a downward spiral
    07-04-10 06:14 PM
    I'd bet it's the Google apps. Google loves to acquire info on your every move.
    07-05-10 09:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD