Too bad none of us can give 151 a run, because I expect that there are bugs in it that make it less stable overall than 148, and everyone knows that vzw will go for function over style 100% of the time
    06-01-09 10:00 AM
    I did the same .75 to .148 and DO clearly notice the difference. If you choose not to notice it, that's fine - just don't come here and disrespect the people who DO have a problem with it.

Your NON issue is still someone elses issue. That don't make your opinion the rule of thumb.
    But he brings up the entire point of it not being that noticeable. Look at it this way, we have had thousands of people do the upgrade within the last 15 hours or so. How many threads have been starting about the color banding? i have not seen any NEW threads about it. That means most people dont see it at all or its not a big deal to them at all. That is why i am saying its an overblown issue for many out there. For many, when we get a leak its the first question they ask. To them its all that matters.
    06-01-09 10:00 AM
    What color banding? I just upgraded from .75 to 148 and I see no difference, or at least not that matters. Talk about a non-issue. Get a life, people.
    Look at the screen touch buttons on your storm. Instead of smooth transitions of blue, light to dark, you have "bands" of blue from light to dark. You didn't already notice it because its subtle.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-09 10:01 AM
    But he brings up the entire point of it not being that noticeable. Look at it this way, we have had thousands of people do the upgrade within the last 15 hours or so. How many threads have been starting about the color banding? i have not seen any NEW threads about it. That means most people dont see it at all or its not a big deal to them at all. That is why i am saying its an overblown issue for many out there. For many, when we get a leak its the first question they ask. To them its all that matters.
    Or maybe they don't want to beat a dead horse. Or in this case a horse that has been cremated three times by now. If they are on here, they knew the color banding issue was already beaten to death.
    06-01-09 10:04 AM
    I totally agree, not saying that they should have released .151 I can see the lack of theme support bugging people more than the color banding. Was just saying that if RIM was going to start addressing the issue they should have said hey .148 should be acceptable, but here .156 or .164 that will be as good or better and will address the color situation.

Not saying .151 should have been passed on, just saying i can see them fixing the color issue soon.
    I agree with what you're saying here. I would think that RIM and VZW as partners, RIM would say, we've fixed this list of stuff you'd want to start here .164 or whatever instead of wasting your time testing every build and failing it and RIM knowing they have fixed a ton of things in newer builds. The only reason I might see that not happening is if RIM's internal testers are not done with higher builds yet even though the programming on 4.7 has been halted and therefore they are not on whatever portal for VZW yet. They may still be testing the higher builds for transferring the code to 5.0.
    06-01-09 10:08 AM
    V, I agree with you on this, but anyone that's thinking that VZW is doing an appropriate job of testing these OSs, is kidding themselves. I can't speak under first person pretences of being in the same room with these tester folks, but I can tell you that based on what I've seen so far, some of these people need new jobs, because they can't do the one they have now correctly. Both RIM and VZW have overlooked a lot of issues with these OSs for extended periods of time (i.e. 40+ revisions) and I find it inexplicable that someone on staff at VZW cannot sit down for 5 minutes, notice all these issues, pick up the phone can call RIM and say "Hey, wth is going on with these continuing issue? What release exactly have you fixed all these in?... so we can move up to that release and test from there." I don't get it... I don't understand why it's so hard to realize that a large range of OS versions have many issues and maybe it's time they jumped a few releases instead of blindly testing them in order. If we're to understand some of the people on here that state that (we as member of this community and not properly trained) are not qualified to do proper OS testing and find issues with them, then I have to ask... "Why the f are all these so called trained professionals MISSING ALL THESE ISSUES?!?!?!" Seriously, I could go through 10+ OS revisions in one day and tell you what's wrong aesthetically with them (i.e. GUI bugs). If that fails, why bother with testing anything else? Would anyone walk into a car dealership and buy a car that runs amazingly if the outside was all ruined and the inside had slashed seats and torn up instrument panels? No, so do this with the Storm OS? Fact is, it doesn't even run that great as it is. I'm sorry, but I'm currently viewing ALL VZW testing emplyees as little monkeys with hammers and all they are doing is tapping the top of each missle that goes by on a conveyer belt. It amazes me some of these people know how to turn on the phone. LOOK CLOSER YOU LAMOS!!!!!!!!!!!
    06-01-09 10:09 AM
    that because color banding is NOT A BIG ISSUE!! 95% of the people using the storm will never notice it. Anyone who is letting this be the focus of all of their problems has OCD!
    See, you're wrong about this. We paid for this device to work properly and color banding is not right. This device should be able to handle proper color AND speed. We shouldnt have to make a sacrifice.
    06-01-09 10:12 AM
    V, I agree with you on this, but anyone that's thinking that VZW is doing an appropriate job of testing these OSs, is kidding themselves. I can't speak under first person pretences of being in the same room with these tester folks, but I can tell you that based on what I've seen so far, some of these people need new jobs, because they can't do the one they have now correctly. Both RIM and VZW have overlooked a lot of issues with these OSs for extended periods of time (i.e. 40+ revisions) and I find it inexplicable that someone on staff at VZW cannot sit down for 5 minutes, notice all these issues, pick up the phone can call RIM and say "Hey, wth is going on with these continuing issue? What release exactly have you fixed all these in?... so we can move up to that release and test from there." I don't get it... I don't understand why it's so hard to realize that a large range of OS versions have many issues and maybe it's time they jumped a few releases instead of blindly testing them in order. If we're to understand some of the people on here that state that (we as member of this community and not properly trained) are not qualified to do proper OS testing and find issues with them, then I have to ask... "Why the f are all these so called trained professionals MISSING ALL THESE ISSUES?!?!?!" Seriously, I could go through 10+ OS revisions in one day and tell you what's wrong aesthetically with them (i.e. GUI bugs). If that fails, why bother with testing anything else? Would anyone walk into a car dealership and buy a car that runs amazingly if the outside was all ruined and the inside had slashed seats and torn up instrument panels? No, so do this with the Storm OS? Fact is, it doesn't even run that great as it is. I'm sorry, but I'm currently viewing ALL VZW testing emplyees as little monkeys with hammers and all they are doing is tapping the top of each missle that goes by on a conveyer belt. It amazes me some of these people know how to turn on the phone. LOOK CLOSER YOU LAMOS!!!!!!!!!!!
    ROFL I love the looney tunes reference. (at least I think it was looney tunes )

Ya what she said
    06-01-09 10:14 AM
    OMG why do you people care so much about color banding? Quit complaining about it already its not a big deal. I guess some people always like something to ***** about..
    06-01-09 10:14 AM
    Or maybe they don't want to beat a dead horse. Or in this case a horse that has been cremated three times by now. If they are on here, they knew the color banding issue was already beaten to death.
    Don't worry Valace, howarmat never has anything constructive to say. Whenever I see his name I just skip past it. Color banding is an issue to some of us, and if it is not an issue to you (howarmat), then leave the thread because the discussion is obviously not for you. While I agree that functionality trumps color issues, at this point the two should not be mutually exclusive any more, based on the hardware that this phone has.
    06-01-09 10:16 AM
    Well you are the Master of finding issues but from a troubleshooting/testing perspective I agree. I know there is a script but if I KNEW something was wrong on the last build that it was failed for that would be the first thing I would check the next build for before continuing on.
    Unless they had another team testing this simultaneous with .141 I had originally heard six weeks from somewhere for VZW to test a build, it hasn't been that long for .148 from the time we heard .141 failed so a corner must have been cut somewhere.
    06-01-09 10:17 AM
    Don't worry Valace, howarmat never has anything constructive to say. Whenever I see his name I just skip past it. Color banding is an issue to some of us, and if it is not an issue to you (howarmat), then leave the thread because the discussion is obviously not for you. While I agree that functionality trumps color issues, at this point the two should not be mutually exclusive any more, based on the hardware that this phone has.
    Well said, sir, well said.
    06-01-09 10:17 AM
    This goes right in line with "How many VZW testers have looked close enough to notice the issue?" Not many, if I had to answer. The issue isn't that the problems are not there, the issue is that people are NOT looking close enough. With enough time, some will notice things, but unless you can spend time with your nose glued to these devices, you won't notice a lot of these little things. Some notice it right away and some don't. That doesn't mean the problem is not there or that it's not a problem at all. It just means that perticular person or group of people didn't look close enough to notice.
    06-01-09 10:18 AM
    Color banding issue? I don't see any issues. I guess some people just have to find something to complain about.
    06-01-09 10:23 AM
    That doesn't mean the problem is not there or that it's not a problem at all. It just means that perticular person or group of people didn't look close enough to notice.
    Or more correctly, they just don't think it's important enough and don't care....
    06-01-09 10:23 AM
    Thanks for the comment, was a tad harsh, I have appreciated some of Hawarmat's posts though. He shouldn't just throw out blanket statements like that.

The color banding issue isn't a life or death issue, it hasn't and won't stop me from using the phone, but it is an issue and now it seems like it will be corrected. I just found the timing between VZW's release and the color fix a little funny.
    06-01-09 10:24 AM
    that because color banding is NOT A BIG ISSUE!! 95% of the people using the storm will never notice it. Anyone who is letting this be the focus of all of their problems has OCD!
    i agree 100% honestly i dont see it i have freinds running .75 andi cant tell a difference even when people post pictures of it on here i dont see it just seems to be something for peoples to complain about
    06-01-09 10:28 AM
    OMG why do you people care so much about color banding? Quit complaining about it already its not a big deal. I guess some people always like something to ***** about..
    Why do any of us care about anything on here? I made a smarmy comment in another thread about flick scrolling and someone came back on me about it. I and others in this thread are not b*tching we are discussing. I want to know as much as possible about my device as I can. Color banding IS an issue and it needs to be resolved.
    06-01-09 10:28 AM
    I have asked this question a few times and have never received an answer. Well not one that I thought was reasonable. RIM and VZW have an investment in the Storm doing well, so why not work together on this. Testing EVERY SINGLE BUILD, that is ********. These companies have been working with each other for some time and there is no reason that they can not make this happen in a shorter timeframe.

Just funny that it seems as though they are each working individually rather than together.
    06-01-09 10:32 AM
    Thanks for the comment, was a tad harsh, I have appreciated some of Hawarmat's posts though. He shouldn't just throw out blanket statements like that.

The color banding issue isn't a life or death issue, it hasn't and won't stop me from using the phone, but it is an issue and now it seems like it will be corrected. I just found the timing between VZW's release and the color fix a little funny.
    I'm sure color banding is on top of their issues to fix... [sarcasm]

I think they are more worried about functionality of the phone which comes first. I mean I don't understand how people can cry and whine so much on this forum about color banding as it will go unheard of by verizon and RIM. All it is a bunch of anal people on the internet ******** about the same thing and going nowhere.

I did a search in the storm forums only for "color banding" and it shows that it has been a topic of discussion or discussed in another topic 235 times. I'm sure there is probably more due to misspelling, etc. I think you people really need to get over this color banding thing. The only 2 areas I see it in is when an icon is highlighted blue and the media screen.

I don't see it as an issue with my pictures or anything else. So i guess you guys and gals must really like your icons looking nice. Im on a .148/5.0 hybrid.
    06-01-09 10:33 AM
    Or more correctly, they just don't think it's important enough and don't care....
    Exactly the mentality that we don't need on staff at the companies involved in making these products. If more people were concerned with the finer details in the world or anything, this world would be a better place.
    06-01-09 10:35 AM

I think they are more worried about functionality of the phone which comes first. I mean I don't understand how people can cry and whine so much on this forum about color banding as it will go unheard of by verizon and RIM. All it is a bunch of anal people on the internet ******** about the same thing and going nowhere.

I did a search in the storm forums only for "color banding" and it shows that it has been a topic of discussion or discussed in another topic 235 times. I think you people really need to get over this color banding thing. The only 2 areas I see it in is when an icon is highlighted blue and the media screen.

I don't see it as an issue with my pictures or anything else. So i guess you guys and gals must really like your icons looking nice. Im on a .148/5.0 hybrid.
    But what people are trying to say is that there is no reason that the phone can't have BOTH good graphics, AND good performance. Many other smart phones can handle both... why not this one? It is not so much a matter of it really bothering people, it's just the PRINCIPLE of the matter. Why should people have to lower their expectations to get a good performing OS (that still doesn't perform as well as it could)? THAT is what this is all about. Color banding is just an example of this. That's all.
    06-01-09 10:36 AM
    But what people are trying to say is that there is no reason that the phone can't have BOTH good graphics, AND good performance. Many other smart phones can handle both... why not this one? It is not so much a matter of it really bothering people, it's just the PRINCIPLE of the matter. Why should people have to lower their expectations to get a good performing OS (that still doesn't perform as well as it could)? THAT is what this is all about. Color banding is just an example of this. That's all.
    Well I was basically saying people complaining here aren't doing anything but wasting forum space and their time. Maybe they can find something more constructive to do as it seems RIM and Verizon don't read these forums and look for ideas for fixes and such.
    06-01-09 10:43 AM

I did a search in the storm forums only for "color banding" and it shows that it has been a topic of discussion or discussed in another topic 235 times. I'm sure there is probably more due to misspelling, etc. I think you people really need to get over this color banding thing. The only 2 areas I see it in is when an icon is highlighted blue and the media screen.

You think they're worried about getting functionality right as well? I tell you what.... if you're on .148, open up one of your HTML email and tap to highlight a phone number in the body of the email (or the singature of the person who wrote it) or highlight an email address or web link in that email, then hit Menu and tell me how many Action choices you have (i.e. Email blah blah, Call blah blah, SMS Blah Blah, Open Link blah blah, etc.) See the problem?... there's multiple choices there for the same thing... which one do I pick? Do all the same choices do the same thing? Will one of the choices work and not the others? Yes, all the same action choices do the same thing, but from a functionality standpoint (your argument above), it's a failed release. Oh, but here's the kicker... NO ONE NOTICED IT BECAUSE THEY DON'T LOOK CLOSE ENOUGH. Part of the issue is people use the shortcut button at the bottom of the messages screen to reply and stuff. There are more ways then one to do any single function on this device. It should be the responsobility of the testers to KNOW each and every way those functions can be manipulated and then test each and every single way... even if the average user isn't going to or might not utilize one form over another. It's called being thorough.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 06-01-09 at 10:47 AM.
    06-01-09 10:44 AM
    You think they're worried about getting functionality right as well? I tell you what.... if you're on .148, open up one of your HTML email and tap to highlight a phone number in the body of the email (or the singature of the person who wrote it) or highlight an email address or web link in that email, then hit Menu and tell me how many Action choices you have (i.e. Email blah blah, Call blah blah, SMS Blah Blah, Open Link blah blah, etc.) See the problem?... there's multiple choices there for the same thing... which one do I pick? Do all the same choices do the same thing? Will one of the choices work and not the others? Yes, all the same action choices do the same thing, but from a functionality standpoint (your argument above), it's a failed release. Oh, but here's the kicker... NO ONE NOTICED IT BECAUSE THEY DON'T LOOK CLOSE ENOUGH. Part of the issue is people use the shortcut button at the bottom of the messages screen to reply and stuff. There are more ways then one to do any single function on this device. It should be the responsobility of the testers to KNOW each and every way those functions can be manipulated and then test each and every single way... even if the average user isn't going to or might not utilize one form over another. It's called being thorough.
    I have noticed that when I would go to call a number in my e-mail, you have like ten zillion choices. Simplify it, just make the stupid call don't give me two of each option call, mms or sms.
    06-01-09 10:53 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD