I know that this will prolly get shuffled off into the lounge, and I really wish it wouldn't because it is OS related. We all wanted VZW to get out an official, well now they have. To those like myself it doesn't matter I would stick an OS on my phone that would turn it into a commodore 64 is they built it. The point is, we now see .151 that was leaked for the 9500 and WHAM the color banding issue has been resolved, but it has broken theme support. Seems like if RIM knew the color banding issue was going to finally be addressed they could have said to VZW here why don't we jump a couple an let ya try this one out.

I dunno, just seems kinda silly for VZW to release .148 when a fix for the color banding issue was just around the corner. I for one have not been that concerned with the color, but from what I am hearing there are upgraded transitions as well. Ah well .148 is pretty good all things considered, so the masses should be happy.
    06-01-09 08:46 AM
    that because color banding is NOT A BIG ISSUE!! 95% of the people using the storm will never notice it. Anyone who is letting this be the focus of all of their problems has OCD!
    06-01-09 08:49 AM
    I see what you're saying, Valace, but to me it seems kind of silly to want to release a build just because it "fixes color banding". So many people were having so many issues with their phones (from what I understand), so Verizon probably wanted to release something to fix a lot of those problems (and they finally got a build without service impacting bugs to pass).

With all of the other issues people seem to be having, color banding just sounds trivial.
    06-01-09 08:51 AM
    that because color banding is NOT A BIG ISSUE!! 95% of the people using the storm will never notice it. Anyone who is letting this be the focus of all of their problems has OCD!
    The thing is, I have noticed it. Its not like I throw the thing down in disgust because of it, just that I know it can be better. I just want it to function the best it can.
    06-01-09 08:52 AM
    I see what you're saying, Valace, but to me it seems kind of silly to want to release a build just because it "fixes color banding". So many people were having so many issues with their phones (from what I understand), so Verizon probably wanted to release something to fix a lot of those problems (and they finally got a build without service impacting bugs to pass).

With all of the other issues people seem to be having, color banding just sounds trivial.
    Oh I know what ya meen. Anything past the .8x builds would have been a huge improvement over .75.

Just saying that the fix for the color came so soon after .148 thats all I am saying. If they were gonna send them a build why not send them one where the color issue has been resolved. They were done building the 4.7 builds and concentrating on 5.0 before they even sent .148 to VZW for testing.
    06-01-09 08:54 AM
    Oh I know what ya meen. Anything past the .8x builds would have been a huge improvement over .75.

Just saying that the fix for the color came so soon after .148 thats all I am saying. If they were gonna send them a build why not send them one where the color issue has been resolved. They were done building the 4.7 builds and concentrating on 5.0 before they even sent .148 to VZW for testing.
    Well, I'm not sure that RIM "sends" VZW a build to test. I remember reading somewhere, and it is my understanding, that there is a place where RIM "posts" a list of new builds that are available for testing, and the carriers themselves choose which of those builds to test. I could be wrong about that, but I'm pretty sure I read that on here, and it came from someone who knew what they were talking about. Maybe .151 wasn't available for Verizon. Does RIM make more than one .151 build for different carriers or CDMA/GSM? If .151 is for GSM phones, and we can't just download them on our phones without messing around with them, maybe this build wasn't available to Verizon for CDMA devices. Could that be a possibility?
    06-01-09 08:59 AM
    Well, I'm not sure that RIM "sends" VZW a build to test. I remember reading somewhere, and it is my understanding, that there is a place where RIM "posts" a list of new builds that are available for testing, and the carriers themselves choose which of those builds to test. I could be wrong about that, but I'm pretty sure I read that on here, and it came from someone who knew what they were talking about. Maybe .151 wasn't available for Verizon. Does RIM make more than one .151 build for different carriers or CDMA/GSM? If .151 is for GSM phones, and we can't just download them on our phones without messing around with them, maybe this build wasn't available to Verizon for CDMA devices. Could that be a possibility?
    Yes. That's how I believed it worked too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-09 09:01 AM
    RIM controls which builds go up on that portal Thingamajiggy(you would have to ask someone like Radio or CX for the actual name). Not sure how that all works but I think you are right.

So in essense RIM still controls the builds the carriers get for testing. An yes its entirely possible that .151 wasn't available to VZW.

I wouldn't want .151 if I were VZW. Breaking the theme support will irk alot of customers and who knows what other bugs it has. Whats important to look at though is that it has been addressed.

Who knows maybe in the next build after .151 they have addressed the theme issue an all is hunky dory.

They need to fix the theme issue as it is, because my Storm runs alot better with the default theme running.
    Last edited by Valace2; 06-01-09 at 09:08 AM.
    06-01-09 09:05 AM
    I bet .151 or higher is leaked for the 9530 soon. Perhaps the color banding resolution caused more problems than .148 had.

Maybe VzW got tired o hearing "we don't care what you have just release something!!! "

Maybe the b*tching won't ever end.

06-01-09 09:05 AM
    Nope that is correct from what Civic was saying basically. I assume VZW has 151 available to them and it could be current in a certain stage of testing. It could also have a glaring issue like in past builds and already failed a certain stage of testing. truth is we dont know but i do know they will not release another build so soon. It would cost way too much money.

I would like to see the keyboard from this build also to see if the "banding" is actually fixed. that was the only time i could clearly see any issue with the banding at all and it didnt even bother me then either.
    06-01-09 09:06 AM
    I have seen you comment on this alot, it is a big issue, ask Civic I know that it is important to her an alot of other people. If it were not important than RIM wouldn't be addressing it. Why have this incredibly awesome screen if it doesn't look its best.
    06-01-09 09:07 AM
    I bet .151 or higher is leaked for the 9530 soon. Perhaps the color banding resolution caused more problems than .148 had.

Maybe VzW got tired o hearing "we don't care what you have just release something!!! "

Maybe the b*tching won't ever end.

This isn't b*tching necessarily. Just talking. Like I said I didn't need an official, but am glad they finally got one out.
    06-01-09 09:10 AM
    I agree that I wouldn't toss the phone down "in disgust" because of the color banding, but personally, I do believe it makes the phone look tacky. The phone comes with such a nice display, yet the rendering of some colors are truly depressing.

I understand that some people just don't care. I also acknowledge that it's quite possibly a performance vs. quality decision. I just wish there was a more subtle medium between the two.

Perhaps this minor issue will be pushed to the forefront now that .148 was released and several more important issues have been resolved? *shrugs*
    06-01-09 09:10 AM
    Nope seems like the B**ching will never end but if we didnt have something to B**ch about our days just wouldn't seem right? I'm just happy that .148 is out and I've noticed a difference in the way my storm runs...I'm pleased for sure!!!
    06-01-09 09:16 AM
    What color banding? I just upgraded from .75 to 148 and I see no difference, or at least not that matters. Talk about a non-issue. Get a life, people.
    06-01-09 09:18 AM
    I dunno, just seems kinda silly for VZW to release .148 when a fix for the color banding issue was just around the corner. I for one have not been that concerned with the color, but from what I am hearing there are upgraded transitions as well. Ah well .148 is pretty good all things considered, so the masses should be happy.
    Also, maybe the color banding fix crippled the device again in some way. We really haven't seen enough feedback from the leak yet to determine whether or not it's any good. Maybe there are other issues with it that have nothing to do with the color banding being fixed at all. We'll have to wait and see over the next week or so what people are saying about it. All we can really do is speculate anyway.
    06-01-09 09:18 AM
    When I run the default theme i dont see much of a difference. When I run themes that are more effective for my Storm I see it really bad and its annoying. Its not about OCD its about having something that FULLY functions. I havent seen another smart phone deal with this issue before....i think its kinda sad
    06-01-09 09:22 AM
    The thing is, I have noticed it. Its not like I throw the thing down in disgust because of it, just that I know it can be better. I just want it to function the best it can.
    What would be easier from VZW's standpoint? (assuming they're dealing with non-savvy users):

a) release .148 with color banding (but does not break themes), perhaps have to explain to some folks that the colors are reduced to make device run quicker

or

b) release .15x with BROKEN theme support, and have to explain to everyone using a 3rd party theme why their $7 theme doesn't work anymore

and FINALLY:

we've heard that .151 fixes color banding..... But aside from themes, WHAT does it BREAK?
    06-01-09 09:26 AM
    What would be easier from VZW's standpoint? (assuming they're dealing with non-savvy users):

a) release .148 with color banding (but does not break themes), perhaps have to explain to some folks that the colors are reduced to make device run quicker

or

b) release .15x with BROKEN theme support, and have to explain to everyone using a 3rd party theme why their $7 theme doesn't work anymore

and FINALLY:

we've heard that .151 fixes color banding..... But aside from themes, WHAT does it BREAK?
    I totally agree, not saying that they should have released .151 I can see the lack of theme support bugging people more than the color banding. Was just saying that if RIM was going to start addressing the issue they should have said hey .148 should be acceptable, but here .156 or .164 that will be as good or better and will address the color situation.

Not saying .151 should have been passed on, just saying i can see them fixing the color issue soon.
    06-01-09 09:31 AM
    I think you're looking at it the wrong way.

We now know that in .151+ builds, the color banding issue has been addressed and hopefully, will remain resolved.

Therefore, the next CDMA leak will likely have the issue fixed.

Think of the positive - we know RIM has fixed it. We have some level of proof. Now we just need a release that addresses it.
    06-01-09 09:34 AM
    It took what, a solid month between .141 failing and .148 being released? If they failed .148 for the banding like some people hoped they would, we'd have another month wait till .15x was tested (and likely failed because of broken theme support), then another month testing the version after that...

So, VZW either releases a fix that addresses a lot of the major performance issues, and people whine about the banding, or they can the update and people whine about there not being an update. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    06-01-09 09:37 AM
    I think you're looking at it the wrong way.

We now know that in .151+ builds, the color banding issue has been addressed and hopefully, will remain resolved.

Therefore, the next CDMA leak will likely have the issue fixed.

Think of the positive - we know RIM has fixed it. We have some level of proof. Now we just need a release that addresses it.
    good way to look at it.....i still want to see if its "fixxed" though
    06-01-09 09:40 AM
    What color banding? I just upgraded from .75 to 148 and I see no difference, or at least not that matters. Talk about a non-issue. Get a life, people.
    I did the same .75 to .148 and DO clearly notice the difference. If you choose not to notice it, that's fine - just don't come here and disrespect the people who DO have a problem with it.

Your NON issue is still someone elses issue. That don't make your opinion the rule of thumb.
    06-01-09 09:41 AM
    This is a discussion, and I am not whining. Your post is offensive and I don't appreciate it.

For your sake I am glad they got a release out, seeing as how you have had your Storm since at least January, I don't see why you haven't upgraded. I am more happy for the people who don't frequent these kind of forums. The upgrade process is simple, and before they made it almost I D I O T proof with OTA updates every upgrade was done the exact same way, thru the DM and most people managed just fine then.
    06-01-09 09:47 AM
    It makes sense for VZM to release 148, it will solve a a lot problems for a lot of storm users. Bell and Telus release 122, and it cut down on the complaints from general users(source from friends who are CSR from both companies)

As for 151, it does not run themes, but to me that is an issue with themese developers to deal with. I am sure they can upgrade thier products.
    But a least RIM is giving us options, you never know maybe build ( ver195???) solves all our problems.
    06-01-09 09:57 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD