Ive been waiting and waiting for my contract to be up so I could get a storm. A friend of mine told me about this forum to help me decide. He was right, people either LOVE it or HATE it huh? I thought for sure this would help me make my decision but after reading the rants and raves, Im more confused than before. Im staying with Verizon regardless and this just seems like the best thing going for my carrier. Any suggestions for a new guy? Can it really be as bad as some say? Come on, the phone has to be better than average, no? Im not looking to do anything business related with it. Just email, surf the web, catch some headlines and sports scores, ect.. Like I said, I was so looking forward to this day and now Im scared to death that Ill get a phone I truly hate, haha. I currently have the LG Dare so Im used to the touch screen texting and the like so that wouldnt be an issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    05-12-09 12:37 AM
    well you get 30 days to test drive it, i recommend you try it out at least. if you dont like it you can return it within 30 days and get something else
    05-12-09 12:48 AM
    Yes it will be an issue. The SurePress screen isn't like any touchscreen out there. I personally like it due to the feedback you get from actually pressing something not just touching it. There's a learning curve regardless of what phone you're coming from. I personally love my Stormie (using crackman's v5 hybrid OS). But this phone isn't for everybody. I suggest you spend some time with it in the store and if you decide to go for it remember...YOU HAVE 30 DAYS TO TEST IT. If you make the switch, take some time with it and get use to it physically before you make any decisions on delving into leaked OS's and stuff like that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-09 12:51 AM
    I totally forgot about the 30 day trial period as Ive never used that option before. Ive always been happy with a new phone and not needed it, luckily. But seeing as that is the case, WHY NOT try it? I truly appreciate the help for a new guy to the forum. Ill let you guys know how it goes.
    Thanks a million!
    05-12-09 10:40 PM
    Going from the LG Dare to the Storm is a definite downgrade.

Think twice before you make the jump.

There's a device coming out that's worth waiting for (9630 Tour)

Don't blow a purchase even though you have the 30 days you will be stuck for 2 years with the Storm or an older model BB. Big mistake : )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by cereal killer; 05-12-09 at 11:03 PM.
    05-12-09 11:00 PM
    Stay away from the Storm. Just perusing this forum you will learn that it is unreliable, has terrible voice quality, and has a poor (and expensive) selection of apps.

Furthermore, Blackberry is a very greedy company that does not support its customers as evidenced by the fact that after 6 months there is no adequate OS for the Storm yet there are at least 3 new blackberries.

Again, I cannot stress enough how awful Blackberry is...I would get any other phone...any other brand.
    05-13-09 12:06 AM
    well you get 30 days to test drive it, i recommend you try it out at least. if you dont like it you can return it within 30 days and get something else
    I love my storm, but get annoyed with the signal issues, I've never had a problem upgrading it, even took the plunge to leaked o/s and this is my first BB (i've got 2 tho now!)
    My nerdy side loves playing with the o/s and apps, VF have just released .141 to us, and its loads better, I accept the battery issues, as its a smart phone with a large screen. But the signal is getting slightly better for us over here, I'd say go for a trial, and change it if you dont like it.
    05-13-09 02:46 AM
    I like my storm, but it definitely has its issues. It is not a perfect phone. But then again...its just a phone. It does about 100x more than my older phone did, and does it well enough to suit my needs.

Try one out, see if you like it. Find a friend or someone with one. Go to the store and just play with it. The clicking screen is different for sure. Or even buy it and get something else within 30 days if you don't like it.

Just please, don't buy it based off of this particular area of the forums. Its just a place where people complain, moan and argue. People either hate it or defend it with their lives.

As to "Can it really be as bad as some say?". Sure. It was rushed, imo. A lot of people have had some serious and legitimate issues with their Storms. It also doesn't/didn't meet up to the standards of a lot of people. Were some of them just being impatient and ignorant? Its certainly possible. On the other hand, quite a number of people are also very satisfied with theirs. Are some of them possibly just ignoring the writing on the wall/putting their heads in the sand? Could be that too.

Its going to be YOUR phone. It needs to meet or not meet YOUR standards. All that should matter is whether or not YOU like it. And if you do, great. If you don't, you're not a bad person for choosing another phone like a curve, g1 or even an iphone *gasp* THE HORROR! All of the iphone hate here still boggles my mind. Its just a freakin phone.
    05-13-09 02:55 AM
    I like my storm but yea theres a new BB coming out. I dont know which carrier its going to be on across the pond, but i wouldnt get a storm this far into it. Iv had mine for 4 months now and i like it so i dont really mind not being able to swap it.

Good luck in your decision Matey, let us know what your going to go with.

Oh and welcome to the forums
    05-13-09 02:59 AM
    Wait til the 9630 c0mes out and then decide. If u can be patient there will be some nice win mo devices coming out at the end of the year as well. I personall have the Storm and I like it. Is it perfect no. Does it do what I want it to do and more than I expected yes it does. But try it first and if u like stcik with it. But if u can wait a few months I urge u to do so.
    05-13-09 09:17 AM
    The storm should partner with ferrari and come out with a yellow ferrari storm
    05-13-09 10:23 AM
    Storm has its issues and big ones I might add.
    I personally wouldn't recommend it for the things your looking for. I would wait for the Palm Pre to come out from sprint and just use that phone on verizons network (if possible).
    Last edited by Stormbot; 05-13-09 at 11:07 AM.
    05-13-09 10:59 AM
    wait for the 9630
    05-13-09 11:03 AM
    Just get it and try it out for the 30 days. The only reason I kept mine past the 30 days mark is because I thought that new software would keep coming out and the phone would only get better form there. 6 months later Im still waiting around...
    Just try it out for YOURSELF! You will know if you like it or not.
    05-13-09 11:25 AM
    The Storm is still not ready for prime time, for a device that desperately needed an OS upgrade at launch, to go 6 months without one is unacceptable. I would wait for a "Storm 2" that will be out before the end of the year, they will probably be dropping the Storm name though.
    05-13-09 11:30 AM
    Ive been waiting and waiting for my contract to be up so I could get a storm. A friend of mine told me about this forum to help me decide. He was right, people either LOVE it or HATE it huh? I thought for sure this would help me make my decision but after reading the rants and raves, Im more confused than before. Im staying with Verizon regardless and this just seems like the best thing going for my carrier. Any suggestions for a new guy? Can it really be as bad as some say? Come on, the phone has to be better than average, no? Im not looking to do anything business related with it. Just email, surf the web, catch some headlines and sports scores, ect.. Like I said, I was so looking forward to this day and now Im scared to death that Ill get a phone I truly hate, haha. I currently have the LG Dare so Im used to the touch screen texting and the like so that wouldnt be an issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    First thing you should do, is completely disregard everyone from 9021-Troll High. That would include Cereal Killer, his alter ego RCCollins, Oilbrnr, and scorpidsu or something like that. If you listen to them, you'd think that the best case scenario for the Storm is that it bursts into flames one day and burns down a city block of houses leaving dozens homeless, and causing some little kid's puppy to be run over by a car.

Best thing you can do, is completely disregard anything ANYONE says pro or con about the device. They aren't going to be using the device, YOU will. So go to the nearest VZW store, play with a Storm. If you know someone who has one, play with it every chance they'll let you. It shouldn't take too long to figure out whether or not it feels "right" to YOU. If it doesn't, look for another device. If you like it, then go ahead and get one.

YOURS is the ONLY opinion that matters here. Don't listen to the trolls, don't listen to me, don't listen to the "fanboys", because we all have different tastes and expectations for the device. Focus only on what YOU think. And even if you like it at first, always keep aware of when your 30 day return period of drawing near, and maybe 7 days before your 30 days are up, take a minute to reflect upon your experiences thus far. If you still like the device, then you're good to go. Otherwise, you've got a full week to get around to taking it back.
    05-13-09 11:51 AM
    First thing you should do, is completely disregard everyone from 9021-Troll High. That would include Cereal Killer, his alter ego RCCollins, Oilbrnr, and scorpidsu or something like that. If you listen to them, you'd think that the best case scenario for the Storm is that it bursts into flames one day and burns down a city block of houses leaving dozens homeless, and causing some little kid's puppy to be run over by a car.

Best thing you can do, is completely disregard anything ANYONE says pro or con about the device. They aren't going to be using the device, YOU will. So go to the nearest VZW store, play with a Storm. If you know someone who has one, play with it every chance they'll let you. It shouldn't take too long to figure out whether or not it feels "right" to YOU. If it doesn't, look for another device. If you like it, then go ahead and get one.

YOURS is the ONLY opinion that matters here. Don't listen to the trolls, don't listen to me, don't listen to the "fanboys", because we all have different tastes and expectations for the device. Focus only on what YOU think. And even if you like it at first, always keep aware of when your 30 day return period of drawing near, and maybe 7 days before your 30 days are up, take a minute to reflect upon your experiences thus far. If you still like the device, then you're good to go. Otherwise, you've got a full week to get around to taking it back.
    Big man is a ****, but I agree with him here. It's all about how you feel about te device. Just try it and see if you like it. Don't pay attention to what people say here because everyone has their own needs and expectations so what works for them may not work for you and vice versa. You will have people who love it so much they defend it's flaws and make it seem better than what it really is. To them it really is great. And you have others who hate the device and will point out all the flaws to make it seem worse than it actually is. To them it really is terrible. And then you have those in-betweeners who are on the fence about it and can go either way. Some people have the same Storm since launch and others are on their 5th. These are just our experiences and opinions. Only your opinion matters when it comes to what's best for you.

Whenever I buy a device I never look at it as a long term device until it actually proves to me that it does what I need it to do all the time. I always buy a device looking for the flaws because I know I have time to take it back for any reason if I don't like it within the allowed period. Take advantage of that and make the best choice for you.
    05-13-09 12:49 PM
    WOW, you guys have given me some great advice. I sure appreciate it, honestly! As far as the try it and I can always switch within 30 days, how does that apply to phones you get straight from Verizon and not a local store? Is it as simple as calling them and sending it back in exchange for another model? At this point, that would be a deal breaker for me.
    Thanks again everyone!

I also read online that the storm 2 could be released as soon as september. Is there any truth to this? Might be worth the wait, no?

It is very interesting that there seems to be no middle ground with this phone. Owners really do Love it or Hate it. Damn, I see a nice Sociology research paper with this silly electronic device. Its crazy the kinds of emotions it raises.....
    Last edited by Im loving it; 05-13-09 at 11:41 PM.
    05-13-09 11:36 PM
    The reason you see so much emotion regarding this phone is a combination of two things:
    1) Those of us who are impartial and actually try to use the phone are bloody infuriated by its lack of usability and reliability.

2) The RIM fan boys who are in denial and claim that this phone works perfectly.

Each side has different emotions...but the fact that the phone is so polarizing should tell you something. My advice would be to not waste your time, money, and effort with the Storm... and if you want a company that stands behind its products I'd walk away from Blackberry entirely. Who's to say that the Storm 2 or Tour will be better? Remember this is a company who's executives have said that buggy software is "a new reality" and that "nobody gets it right the first time." Yikes...I'm embarassed to say I bought anything from these fools.

I've said my peace...let the fanboys flame away...
    05-14-09 01:31 AM
    The reason you see so much emotion regarding this phone is a combination of two things:
    1) Those of us who are impartial and actually try to use the phone are bloody infuriated by its lack of usability and reliability.

2) The RIM fan boys who are in denial and claim that this phone works perfectly.

Each side has different emotions...but the fact that the phone is so polarizing should tell you something. My advice would be to not waste your time, money, and effort with the Storm... and if you want a company that stands behind its products I'd walk away from Blackberry entirely. Who's to say that the Storm 2 or Tour will be better? Remember this is a company who's executives have said that buggy software is "a new reality" and that "nobody gets it right the first time." Yikes...I'm embarassed to say I bought anything from these fools.

I've said my peace...let the fanboys flame away...
    I like how you intentionally left the third group off the list:

3) Impartial users of the Storm who are quite happy with how it's working for them and have no major issues software or hardware.

This group does exist, no matter how blind you are to it.

While I agree that those RIM official comments are just them covering their asses, there's a bit of truth in them. What new design (in relation to the company making it) doesn't have bugs of some sort in them? I hate to bring it back up, but the iPhone wasn't perfect when it was first released either. If you expect a new item to hit the shelves with 0 bugs, then you're living in a fantasy world.

As a whole, RIM makes great communications devices. Just because Verizon is being like you (looking for an OS build with 0 bugs) and keeps pushing back the "official" release, doesn't mean that RIM doesn't stand by their users. If RIM wasn't sending new builds to Verizon, then that would be a different story.

And I also like how you consider anyone who has an opinion different from yours to be flaming you.
    05-14-09 07:52 AM
    WOW, you guys have given me some great advice. I sure appreciate it, honestly! As far as the try it and I can always switch within 30 days, how does that apply to phones you get straight from Verizon and not a local store? Is it as simple as calling them and sending it back in exchange for another model? At this point, that would be a deal breaker for me.
    Thanks again everyone!

I also read online that the storm 2 could be released as soon as september. Is there any truth to this? Might be worth the wait, no?

It is very interesting that there seems to be no middle ground with this phone. Owners really do Love it or Hate it. Damn, I see a nice Sociology research paper with this silly electronic device. Its crazy the kinds of emotions it raises.....

Thats why I urge u to wait if u can; there will be some nice devices coming out around then unless u really have a bug up your rear and want something
    new and want it now.
    Look a lot of people aren't fans of Win Mo here but I had a one before I switched to the Storm. If the Storm 2 doesn't blow my hair back may go back to win mo. Check this link out just to give u a clue.

HTC Rhodium W Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, Smartphone, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications

Good luck.......
    Also fyi google rumors for VZW new phones and play around with it.
    05-14-09 08:27 AM
    Thanks again everyone!
    If you order it straight from VZW, you'd have to call them up, and they'd likely send you a paid return label to slap on the box it came in. You just seal it back up and drop it off at some dropoff point or schedule a pickup with FedEx.

I highly doubt that. I have yet to see ANYTHING substantial on that. Just a bunch of rumor and speculation passed off as fact by "publications" like BGR and the rest of the mobile press, which just rip one another off constantly, and half their info comes from posts on this forum, and half of the posts on this forum are someone reporting something they heard from a VZW rep... And as we all know, VZW reps rarely know anything.

I agree, but it would probably be a better social psychology paper. I've even got a good title for you: Analysis of the Troll Mind
    05-14-09 10:41 AM
    I like how you intentionally left the third group off the list:

3) Impartial users of the Storm who are quite happy with how it's working for them and have no major issues software or hardware.

This group does exist, no matter how blind you are to it.

While I agree that those RIM official comments are just them covering their asses, there's a bit of truth in them. What new design (in relation to the company making it) doesn't have bugs of some sort in them? I hate to bring it back up, but the iPhone wasn't perfect when it was first released either. If you expect a new item to hit the shelves with 0 bugs, then you're living in a fantasy world.

As a whole, RIM makes great communications devices. Just because Verizon is being like you (looking for an OS build with 0 bugs) and keeps pushing back the "official" release, doesn't mean that RIM doesn't stand by their users. If RIM wasn't sending new builds to Verizon, then that would be a different story.

And I also like how you consider anyone who has an opinion different from yours to be flaming you.
    Actually, I said the reason you see so much emotion on this forum is b/c of those two groups. Users who are impartial and satisfied with their storm generally aren't posting much in the Rants+Rave section.

And while I don't expect any product to be perfect upon release, I DO expect the manufacturer to feel some responsibility to address issues and not just say "nobody gets it right the first time." Sorry but that doesn't cut it with me. And after 6 months, yes, I expect a near-perfect OS for the storm. RIM hasn't provided it b/c they don't care or don't want to invest the time/money. That's their perogative, but they won't ever see a dime of my money again...and I'm hardly the only one that feels this way!

And while the iPhone wasn't perfect on release, Apple did ensure it functioned as advertised. There's a reason it is the #1 phone in customer satisfaction. That reason is EXCELLENCE. And I say that without even owning one - just having spent quite a bit of time around them!

Frankly if most storm owners were truly satisified, RIM execs wouldn't feel the need to make excuses.
    05-14-09 11:52 AM
    [QUOTE=TrendyProfessional1;2553211]Thats why I urge u to wait if u can; there will be some nice devices coming out around then unless u really have a bug up your rear and want something
    new and want it now.
    Look a lot of people aren't fans of Win Mo here but I had a one before I switched to the Storm. If the Storm 2 doesn't blow my hair back may go back to win mo. Check this link out just to give u a clue.

As much as I hate to say it, Im gonna hold off for a bit. Even though Ive been counting the days until my new phone date, im just not sure at this point. Ill continue to lurk the forum and read all the praise and dislikes and who knows. One thing is for sure, you guys keep me from making an "impulse" buy and for that I thank you. I still want the storm but not waiting a while and not continuing to research it would be a mistake on my part.
    If I do make a move Ill be sure an let you all know.
    THANKS AGAIN!
    05-15-09 12:47 AM
    As much as I hate to say it, Im gonna hold off for a bit. Even though Ive been counting the days until my new phone date, im just not sure at this point. Ill continue to lurk the forum and read all the praise and dislikes and who knows. One thing is for sure, you guys keep me from making an "impulse" buy and for that I thank you. I still want the storm but not waiting a while and not continuing to research it would be a mistake on my part.
    If I do make a move Ill be sure an let you all know.
    THANKS AGAIN!

good idea, with it confirmed now that there really is going to be a storm two, its best to wait if you can. but who knows when it will finally hit the stores...
    05-15-09 12:55 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD