My contract ended in May and I'm ready for an upgrade. I current own the 9550 (unlocked) but I'm with AT&T (and I'm a manager at AT&T so I won't be leaving the service anytime soon).

If the Torch 9800 fails (which many think it will), I'm not sure what phone to get.

The only reasons why I'm even considering switching phones is because I can't capitalize on 3G, which makes the mediocre browser that much worse, and no option for a warranty (and can't add insurance). Other than that, the S2 is perfect.

S3 is not an option as I will still have the 3G limitation (lack of).

I got an Iphone a few months ago and was not impressed so I returned it the next day.

The MUST haves for a phone for me:

1. LED indicator
    2. Sound profiles (and not just silent and normal)
    3. The ability to add ANY mp3 to ANY contacts

Any known phones that fit that criteria?
    08-05-10 12:29 PM
    Sounds like You are describing a BB

Wait and see. By May you will have more possibillities, I remember browsing via bis the data is compressed and even 2g will be close to a low level 3g on other phones so the s3 or a s4 could still be interesting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-10 12:57 PM
    Sounds like You are describing a BB

Wait and see. By May you will have more possibillities, I remember browsing via bis the data is compressed and even 2g will be close to a low level 3g on other phones so the s3 or a s4 could still be interesting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    May of 2010......contract ended 3 months ago. And yes, seems BB is the only phone that fits those must haves.
    08-05-10 01:19 PM
    At the very least I'd wait until I could get my hands on a 9800 and try it out.

I believe a lot of people think it will "fail" because even though RIM is putting all their weight behind it, it will still fall short of impressing people the way the iPhone or some of the newer Android phones have. In other words, "fail" from a business perspective, not necessarily as a device. You, however, describe your needs as such that BlackBerry is probably still the best choice for you. Don't worry as much about what other people are writing on tech blogs and such, take the thing for a test drive and see for yourself.
    Last edited by PaintDrinkingPete; 08-05-10 at 01:44 PM.
    08-05-10 01:34 PM
    At the very least I'd wait until I could get my hands on a 9800 and try it out.

I believe a lot of people think it will "fail" because even though RIM is putting all their weight behind it, it will still fall short of impressing people the way the iPhone or some of the newer Android phones have. You, however, describe your needs as such that BlackBerry is probably still the best choice for you. Don't worry as much about what other people are writing on tech blogs and such, take the thing for a test drive and see for yourself.
    That's why I said "if it fails". I most definately will give it a test run but this post was for the "if it actually does fall short", what's next......

Hopefully it will be great. I really don't want to leave BB.
    08-05-10 01:42 PM
    People are doing a lot of speculating about a device they haven't even used yet. There are no qualms about it. The Torch will be RIM's best BlackBerry to date. If you're on AT&T and want a BB, then it's really a no brainer. The fail is just that it still doesn't compete with the iPhone or Android for many. But again, if you want a BB, then that's fine. We shouldn't be comparing it to an iPhone or an Android phone. It's a BB. And again, for a BB, it's RIM's best to date. Don't worry though, soon there will be another. :P
    08-05-10 02:07 PM
    People are doing a lot of speculating about a device they haven't even used yet. There are no qualms about it. The Torch will be RIM's best BlackBerry to date. If you're on AT&T and want a BB, then it's really a no brainer. The fail is just that it still doesn't compete with the iPhone or Android for many. But again, if you want a BB, then that's fine. We shouldn't be comparing it to an iPhone or an Android phone. It's a BB. And again, for a BB, it's RIM's best to date. Don't worry though, soon there will be another. :P
    Already did the iphone thing. My S2 was WAY better IMO.

Another Touchscreen on AT&Ts network, hopefully
    08-05-10 02:20 PM
    That's why I said "if it fails". I most definately will give it a test run but this post was for the "if it actually does fall short", what's next......

Hopefully it will be great. I really don't want to leave BB.
    That's just it though, falls short based on whose expectations? It seems the iPhone is...the iPhone, and Android is the hot new thing out there (and both are great as far as I'm concerned), but RIM/BlackBerry bashing has also become pretty trendy lately. While some points are fair, the bottom line is that if it does everything you want it to do, who cares if a few folks over at Engadget or Gizmodo don't like it?

RIM, just like everyone else, will continue to develop new devices, so the only real sure thing is that 6 months after you buy it, there will be something better out there...no matter what it is you buy.

I love my Storm 2, and was for the most part happy with my Storm 1 as well, even though it seems like everyday I read about what a disaster the Storm was.
    08-05-10 03:24 PM
    ^ I agree with what Pete says, but must admit, I'm a bit confused here. I'm not familiar with AT&T vis a vis an unlocked Storm, but I don't understand why it won't work on 3G. Is that due to GSM vs. CDMA?

Android makes some great devices, if that's your thing, but based on your "must have" list, it appears BB offers your best choice. Where I really agree with Pete is, who cares what others say? (just like with the Storm). Try the Torch out and see if you like it. If you do and it makes you happy, the hel* with what others say. Nobody has really TRASHED the phone, just that it's not offering the "latest/greatest technology" which I have long contended, is simply not RIM's market niche and is of no relevance to me.
    08-05-10 03:32 PM
    That's just it though, falls short based on whose expectations? It seems the iPhone is...the iPhone, and Android is the hot new thing out there (and both are great as far as I'm concerned), but RIM/BlackBerry bashing has also become pretty trendy lately. While some points are fair, the bottom line is that if it does everything you want it to do, who cares if a few folks over at Engadget or Gizmodo don't like it?

RIM, just like everyone else, will continue to develop new devices, so the only real sure thing is that 6 months after you buy it, there will be something better out there...no matter what it is you buy.

I love my Storm 2, and was for the most part happy with my Storm 1 as well, even though it seems like everyday I read about what a disaster the Storm was.

True statement. As far as I'm concerned, if it does everything the S2 does (minus obviously surepress), plus a better browser, I'll be pleased. And if it doesn't lag, like other have been saying it does, i'm sold. But one things for sure, I'm going to give it a try regardless of what others say.
    08-05-10 03:36 PM
    ^ I agree with what Pete says, but must admit, I'm a bit confused here. I'm not familiar with AT&T vis a vis an unlocked Storm, but I don't understand why it won't work on 3G. Is that due to GSM vs. CDMA?

Android makes some great devices, if that's your thing, but based on your "must have" list, it appears BB offers your best choice. Where I really agree with Pete is, who cares what others say? (just like with the Storm). Try the Torch out and see if you like it. If you do and it makes you happy, the hel* with what others say. Nobody has really TRASHED the phone, just that it's not offering the "latest/greatest technology" which I have long contended, is simply not RIM's market niche and is of no relevance to me.
    I believe that is the basis for the lack of 3G.

Peoples opinions on the phone, I could care less about. They already gave Storm a bad rap and I totally love it. It's the lag that concerns me. I know all phone have a certain amount. But if it is an annoying amount, that may sway me. I'll be the judge......

But once again, this post was mainly if the 9800 fails me and my expectations of it, what would be next.
    08-05-10 03:45 PM
    Manager at ATT? How many percent discount you get from monthly bill and new phone?
    08-05-10 04:11 PM
    Manager at ATT? How many percent discount you get from monthly bill and new phone?
    I believe its a 20% discount on phone service and 50% off the data plans. I don't remember what the phone percentage is but it sometimes varies per phone.
    08-05-10 05:56 PM
    I believe its a 20% discount on phone service and 50% off the data plans. I don't remember what the phone percentage is but it sometimes varies per phone.
    Other than those items you listed.

Do you enjoy using surepress? Do you need BBM?
    08-05-10 06:04 PM
    Storm 2 owner as well, in my humble opinion I would wait a little longer for the Bold 9700 refresh (9750 or whatever the number was) I am considering the Bold 9650 (CDMA Bold) myself. It has the cojones to run OS 6.0, and i am kinda getting "over" the whole touch screen deal. Just my opinion, of which I am still (for now) able to freely express.
    08-05-10 08:30 PM
    Other than those items you listed.

Do you enjoy using surepress? Do you need BBM?
    Surepress is nice but not needed. I've messed with many 3rd party apps that were touch only that I could get used to a lack of surepress. And I literally only have 1 BBM contact, so no, BBM is not needed. Why'd you ask?
    08-05-10 08:48 PM
    Storm 2 owner as well, in my humble opinion I would wait a little longer for the Bold 9700 refresh (9750 or whatever the number was) I am considering the Bold 9650 (CDMA Bold) myself. It has the cojones to run OS 6.0, and i am kinda getting "over" the whole touch screen deal. Just my opinion, of which I am still (for now) able to freely express.
    I should have added that to my MUST HAVE list. The touch screen, for me, is a more pleasant exprience.
    08-05-10 08:50 PM
    Irrespective of sounding like a broken record. I will rejoin others and say that the BB Torch will best fit your need since you already love your Storm 2. The BB Torch has an improved GUI and is definitely snappier than Storm 2 (They have the same screen size and resolution). One feature of BB OS6 that is not mentioned a lot is Wireless media sync. This is a feature no other smartphone can boast of right out of the box, not even iPhone. It is definitely a killer feature if it works well.

When the tech community talks about a device failing, they are simply referring to the ability of the device to take up and surpass the competition. The BB Torch will definitely encounter a rough patch in going against iPhone and the army of Androids out there. So in tech speak, it will fail. However, it is a very capable device in itself and will perform as well as the competition. In fact, IMHO it is a better device than anything AT&T currently offers. (Yes, prefer the reliability of BB device over the hi-tech offers of iPhone or Android, call me a fanboy).

On the other hand (taking a liberty here since you did not mention carrier choice or device OS), if you a looking for a device that will offer everything you listed as must haves, the one that will do that is HTC EVO 4G on Sprint. It has an LED indicator, offers sound profiles, ability to set up any ringtone for any contact (including using any MP3 file), a touchscreen. Of course, you get other things like larger screen, front-facing camera and 4G access if you are in an area that it is currently offer in.

My contract ended in May and I'm ready for an upgrade. I current own the 9550 (unlocked) but I'm with AT&T (and I'm a manager at AT&T so I won't be leaving the service anytime soon).

If the Torch 9800 fails (which many think it will), I'm not sure what phone to get.

The only reasons why I'm even considering switching phones is because I can't capitalize on 3G, which makes the mediocre browser that much worse, and no option for a warranty (and can't add insurance). Other than that, the S2 is perfect.

S3 is not an option as I will still have the 3G limitation (lack of).

I got an Iphone a few months ago and was not impressed so I returned it the next day.

The MUST haves for a phone for me:

1. LED indicator
    2. Sound profiles (and not just silent and normal)
    3. The ability to add ANY mp3 to ANY contacts
    4. Touchscreen

Any known phones that fit that criteria?
    08-05-10 10:39 PM
    Surepress is nice but not needed. I've messed with many 3rd party apps that were touch only that I could get used to a lack of surepress. And I literally only have 1 BBM contact, so no, BBM is not needed. Why'd you ask?
    LOL ok so you dont need bbm at all. I guess you are free to roam any phones then.

Also, since you are working as a mgr in ATT, you get to try all the test phones? and from there see what you really like.
    08-05-10 11:46 PM
    Irrespective of sounding like a broken record. I will rejoin others and say that the BB Torch will best fit your need since you already love your Storm 2. The BB Torch has an improved GUI and is definitely snappier than Storm 2 (They have the same screen size and resolution). One feature of BB OS6 that is not mentioned a lot is Wireless media sync. This is a feature no other smartphone can boast of right out of the box, not even iPhone. It is definitely a killer feature if it works well.

When the tech community talks about a device failing, they are simply referring to the ability of the device to take up and surpass the competition. The BB Torch will definitely encounter a rough patch in going against iPhone and the army of Androids out there. So in tech speak, it will fail. However, it is a very capable device in itself and will perform as well as the competition. In fact, IMHO it is a better device than anything AT&T currently offers. (Yes, prefer the reliability of BB device over the hi-tech offers of iPhone or Android, call me a fanboy).

On the other hand (taking a liberty here since you did not mention carrier choice or device OS), if you a looking for a device that will offer everything you listed as must haves, the one that will do that is HTC EVO 4G on Sprint. It has an LED indicator, offers sound profiles, ability to set up any ringtone for any contact (including using any MP3 file), a touchscreen. Of course, you get other things like larger screen, front-facing camera and 4G access if you are in an area that it is currently offer in.
    Actually I started off my post stating I'm a manager at AT&T. So it is most definately my carrier of choice. Thanks a lot for that info on the 9800 and the EVO. I will be getting the 9800, on at least, a trial basis. The sucky thing about working with AT&T is upper management asks all employees to hold off on getting the phone during the release dates. This is to let customers get them first in case there is an immediate high demand for it......
    08-05-10 11:59 PM
    LOL ok so you dont need bbm at all. I guess you are free to roam any phones then.

Also, since you are working as a mgr in ATT, you get to try all the test phones? and from there see what you really like.
    I wish but I primarily work on the wireline side as a programmer. I'm an admin for several servers
    08-06-10 12:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD