S2 doesn't have enough memory:
    i think the point is that is has 2GB internal that can be used.

And that is true it does, but that i think would require firmware and new software architecture too which would have to span across other devices too. Which can be done, no doubt about it. But it appears RIM doesnt want to make that big leap that we all have been asking for for years now
    08-04-10 12:17 PM

And that is true it does, but that i think would require firmware and new software architecture too which would have to span across other devices too. Which can be done, no doubt about it. But it appears RIM doesnt want to make that big leap that we all have been asking for for years now
    I get that, but since RIM is in no hurry to make this change, it's kind of a moot point. Really RIM should have been using memory that way all along, now they find themselves behind the 8-Ball. Even Bold's 512MB is kind of a yawner in 2010.
    08-04-10 12:20 PM
    I get that, but since RIM is in no hurry to make this change, it's kind of a moot point. Really RIM should have been using memory that way all along, now they find themselves behind the 8-Ball. Even Bold's 512MB is kind of a yawner in 2010.
    Have you got a BB just so you can complain incessantly??
    08-04-10 12:27 PM
    Do you know this for a fact or just a speculation?
    08-04-10 12:28 PM
    Do you know this for a fact or just a speculation?
    Ah, more trolling? Move along, Jr.
    08-04-10 12:31 PM
    I usually tout myself as a great researcher before I purchase a product, especially when it comes to technology. In my original post (title) I question if the Storm 2 has performed as intended.

It's already been said in this thread that only RIM can truly answer the question of intent. But even that would be moot - it's me, the consumers perception of intent, that guided me to get the Storm 2 (upgrading from my Storm 1). Whether I read all the fine print in the advertisements or not, I made the assumption (yeah, I know, "a$$""u""me") that the Storm 2 was a direct competition to the iPhone. Most everybody on the planet knows the iPhone and has an idea of what it is meant to do - touchscreen device, multimedia device (here's the key - more in a moment), plenty of apps, music, etc. So, whether I didn't read enough, shame on me. I get the Storm 2 thinking I'm getting an iPhone - based solely on what I thought RIM was selling. It didn't take me long to see that in fact the browser was slow, the phone was sluggish (even with OS upgrades), not a great media player, etc. In that regard I feel I was duped, but again take the blame because I did buy it.

I look at the Storm, with its base being a Blackberry, that tried to play a different tune and failed miserably at it. All devices have their flaws, but if I had a much snappier browsing experience, a less sluggish device, a better media player, then maybe the flaws wouldn't stand out so much. But they do, because I went in believing one thing and am coming out with a different (and not so great) experience.

I'm not a fanboy to any device, company, platform, etc. I want something that works for me. RIM/Blackberry is a business device. With the Storms they tried to get to the consumers a converged device, and that's where I see failure. In the non business world, people balance what they want out of their phone. Great email/texting in the business world is now balandced to the consumer who are really being sold mini computers (or at least that's the direction these phones are heading). Maybe the Droid X still won't be all that, but with my understanding of technology, and knowing a month later the next best thing will come out, if the Droid X is anything that I think it is it will suffice for at least a couple fo years so when my 2-year VZW plan is ready for renewal I can see my options then. That's all I want - a phone to last me through my plan. The Storm 2 didn't even make it to year 1 with me, and that's the first phone I've had that has failed in that regard. I've changed phones in the past just to get the next best thing, but it had nothing to do with the phone in hand. In my case now, I am switching because of the Sotrm 2's failure in my hands.
    08-04-10 12:36 PM
    Have you got a BB just so you can complain incessantly??
    I have a BB that has made me complain. My BB turned me into a complainer due to lack of perceived performance (read my previous post). Heck, I always complain about technology - as wonderful as it is it's never perfect (computers, phones, etc).

Answer me this - are you being objective in your posts or are you really a RIM/BB fanboy defending its turf? Certainly sounds to me that you are not being objective. All I've asked for is some honest responses to my experince with the Storm 2 and my personal perception of the device - all you do is knock everybody down for their opinions.

I suppose me responding puts me in a troll war. I read the Trilogy as a kid so I guess that gives me enough experience to have a troll fight.
    Last edited by metalmancpa; 08-04-10 at 12:42 PM.
    08-04-10 12:40 PM
    WE NEED TO BE ACKNOWLEDGED BY RIM! We can't just be a device that was not announced about... We need RIM to at least SAY that Storm 2 will not be getting OS 6 for the following reasons...etc.

I am SO interested to see what kinda crap they can come up with, apart from "We want people to upgrade from our latest mistakes i.e. os 5 by making them purchase a new phone. Hence our CRAZY marketing drive in BBM."

BBM will NOT hold me back from moving away from BB. 9800 DEFINITELY is not a kit I am impressed by. it's HUGE, poor res, poor recording quality. It doesn everthing an iphone does, with less efficiency. I can't say the keypad is worth the trouble of holding on to a phone with only 512MB and BBM going for it for the next 2 years.
    08-04-10 12:41 PM
    I usually tout myself as a great researcher before I purchase a product, especially when it comes to technology. In my original post (title) I question if the Storm 2 has performed as intended.

It's already been said in this thread that only RIM can truly answer the question of intent. But even that would be moot - it's me, the consumers perception of intent, that guided me to get the Storm 2 (upgrading from my Storm 1). Whether I read all the fine print in the advertisements or not, I made the assumption (yeah, I know, "a$$""u""me") that the Storm 2 was a direct competition to the iPhone. Most everybody on the planet knows the iPhone and has an idea of what it is meant to do - touchscreen device, multimedia device (here's the key - more in a moment), plenty of apps, music, etc. So, whether I didn't read enough, shame on me. I get the Storm 2 thinking I'm getting an iPhone - based solely on what I thought RIM was selling. It didn't take me long to see that in fact the browser was slow, the phone was sluggish (even with OS upgrades), not a great media player, etc. In that regard I feel I was duped, but again take the blame because I did buy it.

I look at the Storm, with its base being a Blackberry, that tried to play a different tune and failed miserably at it. All devices have their flaws, but if I had a much snappier browsing experience, a less sluggish device, a better media player, then maybe the flaws wouldn't stand out so much. But they do, because I went in believing one thing and am coming out with a different (and not so great) experience.

I'm not a fanboy to any device, company, platform, etc. I want something that works for me. RIM/Blackberry is a business device. With the Storms they tried to get to the consumers a converged device, and that's where I see failure. In the non business world, people balance what they want out of their phone. Great email/texting in the business world is now balandced to the consumer who are really being sold mini computers (or at least that's the direction these phones are heading). Maybe the Droid X still won't be all that, but with my understanding of technology, and knowing a month later the next best thing will come out, if the Droid X is anything that I think it is it will suffice for at least a couple fo years so when my 2-year VZW plan is ready for renewal I can see my options then. That's all I want - a phone to last me through my plan. The Storm 2 didn't even make it to year 1 with me, and that's the first phone I've had that has failed in that regard. I've changed phones in the past just to get the next best thing, but it had nothing to do with the phone in hand. In my case now, I am switching because of the Sotrm 2's failure in my hands.
    If you want to run OS 428, 451 or 517 then Storm2 is the way to go. If you're expecting anything more, you have to move on.

Seeing that the new devices (9300, 9780 & 9800) are a continuation of the status quo, I fail to see where RIM is in any hurry to make the memory changes Matt mentioned.
    08-04-10 12:50 PM
    I'm personally pissed because I upgraded to the Storm 2 (which, on my carrier, was released last April) in the hopes that I would get at least some form of support.

Instead, RIM released a device with no foresight of what would come in the future and left adopters (the phone isn't even a year old yet) with a device which the company deems obsolete. Meanwhile, I turn around to see that, on the other side of the fence, early Android phones and iPhones are receiving OS upgrades even if their phones are already 2-3 years old.

I personally don't care about all the bell and whistles in OS6. The main thing I do care about is the Webkit browser. I can't navigate using the original browser (the pages I visit renders horribly or takes ages to load/locks up browser [StackOverflow anyone]).

Now I'm left with a device which, less then a few days ago, was considered as RIM's flagship touchscreen device. Today, it's simply an old and obsolete piece of technology which is simply miles behind... and it became that before passing through the usual stages of "second in line, but still pretty good", "good", etc...

I will upgrade to a 9800... Reluctantly, but I will...
    08-04-10 12:50 PM
    I have a BB that has made me complain. My BB turned me into a complainer due to lack of perceived performance (read my previous post). Heck, I always complain about technology - as wonderful as it is it's never perfect (computers, phones, etc).

Answer me this - are you being objective in your posts or are you really a RIM/BB fanboy defending its turf? Certainly sounds to me that you are not being objective. All I've asked for is some honest responses to my experince with the Storm 2 and my personal perception of the device - all you do is knock everybody down for their opinions.

I suppose me responding puts me in a troll war. I read the Trilogy as a kid so I guess that gives me enough experience to have a troll fight.
    the problem that you have with my attitude is that you are obviously unaware of my previous problems with the S1 back in 09. you wouldn't have recognized my posts, based on my current feeling about the S2. the two are like night and day. I had so many problems with the S1, I returned them for refund within 8 days, following OS reloads, and TONS of random reboots (no--not from a "loose" battery). In fact, I hadn't owned the phone for an hour, when it locked up tight during the first usage of VZnav. that was my "introduction" to the facts of life of battery pulls. NOW I have an S2 that goes weeks and months without any issues of slowdowns, crashes, etc. IF I STILL HAD A PHONE THAT SUCKED, I WOULD HAVE RETURNED IT FOR REFUND INSTEAD OF ENDLESSLY ******** ABOUT IT. but that's just me...
    08-04-10 12:59 PM
    So there you go OP, you've been told you're not allowed to dislike the phone you've had problems with, but you can dislike Storm1. Makes sense right?
    08-04-10 01:05 PM
    Without getting into the specific complaints, does the Storm2 function as intended? Yes. As others stated, it is a touchscreen BlackBerry and it isn't fair to compare it to an iPhone or Android phone. As a touchscreen BlackBerry it works. The problem is that the media and the blogging sites hyped the Storm series to be more than it was, like an iPhone killer. Did RIM make mistakes with it? Depends on your perspective. Their biggest mistake was probably in not clarifying that it was simply a touchscreen BlackBerry. It was our expectations that got more out of us.

Now then, what is the best thing that RIM could do right now? Take OS testing and upgrades out of the carriers hands and bring it all in house. Then issue the updates to users directly. If RIM did that, we'd see a lot less of these complaints about support, and my guess is that they'd do a better job of testing for bugs (given that they're not relying on carrier testers to report them).

But at the end of the day, the biggest problem with the Storm2 is us. We simply expected more out of it than we should have. I'm satisfied with my Storm2 because I knew in advance what to expect: simply a touchscreen BlackBerry and no more. But many of us did want more. And do you know what? I want a Storm3 knowing that it will still only be a touchscreen BlackBerry (albeit with BB6).

Anyhow, I hope that explains some of our perspectives.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-10 01:34 PM
    Without getting into the specific complaints, does the Storm2 function as intended? Yes. As others stated, it is a touchscreen BlackBerry and it isn't fair to compare it to an iPhone or Android phone. As a touchscreen BlackBerry it works. The problem is that the media and the blogging sites hyped the Storm series to be more than it was, like an iPhone killer. Did RIM make mistakes with it? Depends on your perspective. Their biggest mistake was probably in not clarifying that it was simply a touchscreen BlackBerry. It was our expectations that got more out of us.

Now then, what is the best thing that RIM could do right now? Take OS testing and upgrades out of the carriers hands and bring it all in house. Then issue the updates to users directly. If RIM did that, we'd see a lot less of these complaints about support, and my guess is that they'd do a better job of testing for bugs (given that they're not relying on carrier testers to report them).

But at the end of the day, the biggest problem with the Storm2 is us. We simply expected more out of it than we should have. I'm satisfied with my Storm2 because I knew in advance what to expect: simply a touchscreen BlackBerry and no more. But many of us did want more. And do you know what? I want a Storm3 knowing that it will still only be a touchscreen BlackBerry (albeit with BB6).

Anyhow, I hope that explains some of our perspectives.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Very well put. I hope some of the vocal BB critics think a bit about what you just wrote. Each phone OS has it's own strengths and weaknesses, including the overly-worshipped iPhone, and the more recently media-hyped Androids. How well does the iPhone multitask? hehe! or how about it's lame notification interface? that REALLY SUCKS. Androids, for the most part, have been unable to do bluetooth voice dialing...the list goes on.
    08-04-10 01:41 PM
    it all depends on what you expected out of the device. i think some people expected to much out of it therefore got burned. I would say its was a good step up from storm 1, and mine worked very well too. But the added memory and great typing made the storm 2 shine. I still can type tons faster on it that the Incredible.

There is not 1 thing the I can think of that RIM or VZW said the storm 2 can do that it doesnt. It performs as I expect it too. now 9 months later yeah it doesnt stand up in the speed category compared to the newer device but i dont expect it too either.

Its a good phone when it came out and still is. It can be better yes but that is another debate.
    Agree completely . Storm2 is my first BB and my first touch screen . Love the instant email and oh,also phone calls work too. Coming from a nokia N95 ,it totally blew me away.
    08-04-10 01:49 PM
    Agree completely . Storm2 is my first BB and my first touch screen . Love the instant email and oh,also phone calls work too. Coming from a nokia N95 ,it totally blew me away.
    Now imagine coming from an LG8300.
    08-04-10 01:54 PM
    Had a Storm 1 until I broke it one month ago. It did everything I wanted it to do.
    -made great calls and had excellent reception
    -TXTing was easy
    -e-mail worked flawlessly
    -camera was very good and took extremely good pics
    -I could access the internet to get weather radar in very remote trout streams AND monitor dam water releases as they happen.
    -I could use the GPS to figure yardage on golf courses.
    -Had all the apps I wanted and some I didn't available to me
    -had excellent GPS driving directions and I could find anything I wanted along my driving route I needed.
    -had a very easy-to-use layout
    -could access Facebook easily although I could really care.
    -I could send pics to Photobucket and Flicker immediately and easily
    -I could play a game and SEE I got a phone call or a message from someone and decide whether or not it was worth getting out of the game to attend to. If I did, I could go back to the game EASILY and not lose connection with it.
    -I could use it in portrait or landscape in 95% of everything on the phone.
    -typing was spectacular!

What's not to like? A widget that tells me it's 86 degrees outside at this very second.............yipeeeee!

So, the newer phones are faster? I didn't complain my Windows 95 computer was crap after I got one with XP. It was just advancement in technology and expected. I didn't say my Elan Comprex skis were crap when I got my Dynstar 66s. Again, the technology got better. So? Just glad I'm not still skiing my Head Killys!! But I'm not saying they were crap. They were the best at the time. Now, they suck. So?
    I didn't complain that my '88 Toyota pickup couldn't tow crap when I got my Ford F-350 diesel. Different trucks. So?
    Last edited by bigbadwulff; 08-04-10 at 02:37 PM.
    08-04-10 02:12 PM
    Very well put. I hope some of the vocal BB critics think a bit about what you just wrote. Each phone OS has it's own strengths and weaknesses, including the overly-worshipped iPhone, and the more recently media-hyped Androids. How well does the iPhone multitask? hehe! or how about it's lame notification interface? that REALLY SUCKS. Androids, for the most part, have been unable to do bluetooth voice dialing...the list goes on.
    Because for an email and Internet device, the Storm2 can sure render HTML well...

No... That's one of the fundamental weakness of any BlackBerry device before OS6.
    08-04-10 02:39 PM
    .....IF I STILL HAD A PHONE THAT SUCKED, I WOULD HAVE RETURNED IT FOR REFUND INSTEAD OF ENDLESSLY ******** ABOUT IT. but that's just me...
    I guess this where our communciation falls short. You have construed my posts as "endlessly ********". I believe I have been making objective comments of my experience, but I suppose let's just end these stupid back-and-forths that have nothing to do with the topic because they are useless.

I am not happy with my S2 so I'm ending my relationship with it. If you see my posts as ******** I guess that's your perogative.
    08-04-10 02:52 PM
    This was my point in a previous post. RIm could have done better at advertising and informing us what the S2 was. I "saw" it as more based on everything I read about it before its release.

If a blog or techie site touted it as the "iPhone killer" and RIM intented it only to be a BB without a keyboard and nothing more, then RIM did a poor job conveying that message.
    08-04-10 02:55 PM

I always wondered if that 2GB was going to be fully utilized. It just seemed it was there waiting for something big.
    08-04-10 02:55 PM

I understand your view and many others. My answer to your question is yes the Storm 2 does what I need it to most of the time. The one thing I have used more is the browser over the past couple of years and the new browser would be nice. The current browser is very usable to me since I take full advantage of the wifi and prefer mobile sites anyway. When I feel like the phone can't do what I want, I'll just move on to one that can.
    08-04-10 03:09 PM
    I understand your view and many others. My answer to your question is yes the Storm 2 does what I need it to most of the time. The one thing I have used more is the browser over the past couple of years and the new browser would be nice. The current browser is very usable to me since I take full advantage of the wifi and prefer mobile sites anyway. When I feel like the phone can't do what I want, I'll just move on to one that can.
    Well said. I never expected the Storm to be an i-phone and never inferred it to be an equivalent. The ONLY complaint I had was app memory but that was pretty much cured with the S2.
    Were the apps "cooler" with with i-phone? Yeah. So? Everything else was better with the Storm especially sending pics to my buddies with i-phones from the middle of nowhere of nice big brown trout
    08-04-10 03:55 PM
    I guess this where our communciation falls short. You have construed my posts as "endlessly ********". I believe I have been making objective comments of my experience, but I suppose let's just end these stupid back-and-forths that have nothing to do with the topic because they are useless.

I am not happy with my S2 so I'm ending my relationship with it. If you see my posts as ******** I guess that's your perogative.
    Pardon me, but I was referring to everyone who complains on and on for indefinite periods of time. I didn't make it clear that I wasn't addressing my comment about ********, JUST to you. so you are correct--our communications broke down a bit.
    08-04-10 05:17 PM
    Well said. I never expected the Storm to be an i-phone and never inferred it to be an equivalent. The ONLY complaint I had was app memory but that was pretty much cured with the S2.
    Were the apps "cooler" with with i-phone? Yeah. So? Everything else was better with the Storm especially sending pics to my buddies with i-phones from the middle of nowhere of nice big brown trout
    I dropped my Storm 2 going to work and the screen is in pieces. The replacement piece is $120 at best. I am now in mourning (still using with cracked screen)
    08-04-10 07:04 PM
82 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD