No insurance?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-10 09:38 PM
    I love and have followed technology for most of my 50 years. I had the first bag phone issued for cell service.

I am no expert but I feel I am savvy enough to offer up my opinion on the Storm 2. I feel the Storm 2 was a failure for what it was intended to be, and the fact the it appears that nine months after it's release it's being left in the dust (no OS6?).

I understand that technology moves at the speed of light. I understand that obsolescence has changed over the years and technology has a much shorter shelf life. I understand that we all want to compare this to that (Storm to iPhone to Droid, etc).

For as much bashing as I have taken on one of my threads and seen others take the same (blah blah switch blah love my Storm blah blah whine blah blah how could you have gone through so many Storms wjen I've only had one blah blah), if anybody here has a shred of knowledge about technology than I see no way that anybody can say the Storm was built for the future. The Storm reminds me of Boston's infamous 15-year multi-billion dollar tunnel project: by the time it was finished and opened it was already obsolete as it couldn't handle the traffic 15 years after it was planned. I look at the hardware specs of the Storm 2 and see a lightweight by any comparison. I don't care if VZW and other carriers have limited its capabilities - in hindsight I felt I purchased a Windows 98 computer in a Windows 7 world.

Please, I won't accuse anybody of being a fanboy and holding on to RIM and BB so tight that you can't let go, but give me a compelling reason as to how the Storm 2 is such a wonderful piece of technology. It really isn't, and shame on me for not doing my homework before I got one on its release date.
    I'm quite happy with my Storm 2. Is it perfect? No. But neither is Crapple or Android. Get off your high horse.
    08-04-10 10:33 PM
    I'm quite happy with my Storm 2. Is it perfect? No. But neither is Crapple or Android. Get off your high horse.
    I'm off my horse now (didn't think it was all that high), although my a$$ hurts and I'm a little bow legged.

As fast as electronics go obsolete, especially with computers & smart phones, please tell me how an item being rendered obsolete even by its own manufacturer (sounds like no OS6 for the Storm 2, at least that's what RIM makes it sound like) in 9 months isn't proof enough that even RIM doesn't think it performed as intended.

9 months is short by any standard. It was slow out of the gate, and with the increased information available to mobile phones the S2 doesn't have the hardware to keep up. 9 months later it looks like RIM has a great software upgrade that the S2 can't handle. I never bought a computer new and saw it rendered obsolete by the next release of Windows.
    08-04-10 10:48 PM
    No insurance?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I never put it on phones because I am usually very good with them. Been a bad week though. Heading to add another line and get insurance on the next one though
    08-05-10 09:50 AM
    PLEASE people...stop responding to this guy! He will keep on making up threads like this if you don't.

WHERE ARE THE MODS?????
    08-05-10 10:54 AM
    PLEASE people...stop responding to this guy! He will keep on making up threads like this if you don't.

WHERE ARE THE MODS?????
    Wow - I'm that bad? My threads are that trollish? I'm not sure what exactly is happening to CrackBerry, but if my posts incites such an idiotic response as this, it's a case of there goes the neighborhood.

MODS MODS - PLEASE, DON"T LET THIS PERSON RESPOND TO ANYBODY OR IT WILL KEEP ON HAPPENING.

That's how totally childish and ubsurd you sound.
    08-05-10 11:26 AM
    Wow - I'm that bad? My threads are that trollish? I'm not sure what exactly is happening to CrackBerry, but if my posts incites such an idiotic response as this, it's a case of there goes the neighborhood.

MODS MODS - PLEASE, DON"T LET THIS PERSON RESPOND TO ANYBODY OR IT WILL KEEP ON HAPPENING.

That's how totally childish and ubsurd you sound.
    I think you made valid points and they are worthy of discussion.
    08-05-10 11:40 AM
    I'm off my horse now (didn't think it was all that high), although my a$$ hurts and I'm a little bow legged.

As fast as electronics go obsolete, especially with computers & smart phones, please tell me how an item being rendered obsolete even by its own manufacturer (sounds like no OS6 for the Storm 2, at least that's what RIM makes it sound like) in 9 months isn't proof enough that even RIM doesn't think it performed as intended.

9 months is short by any standard. It was slow out of the gate, and with the increased information available to mobile phones the S2 doesn't have the hardware to keep up. 9 months later it looks like RIM has a great software upgrade that the S2 can't handle. I never bought a computer new and saw it rendered obsolete by the next release of Windows.
    Nailed it!
    08-05-10 12:04 PM
    ...Whether I read all the fine print in the advertisements or not, I made the assumption (yeah, I know, "a$$""u""me") that the Storm 2 was a direct competition to the iPhone...I get the Storm 2 thinking I'm getting an iPhone - based solely on what I thought RIM was selling. It didn't take me long to see that in fact the browser was slow, the phone was sluggish (even with OS upgrades), not a great media player, etc...That's all I want - a phone to last me through my plan. The Storm 2 didn't even make it to year 1 with me, and that's the first phone I've had that has failed in that regard.
    I know we were warned against replying to your post, but this is just so far out there, I can't resist. If you thought you were buying an iPhone, why didn't you simply buy an iPhone, rather than be soooooooooo disappointed in the Storm2? It was the public, not RIM, that hailed it "the iPhone Killer." The browser, as with ALL Blackberry browsers are slow; all you had to do was ready ANY review and you would have known that - although it is certainly VERY usable.
    How can you say this phone is "sluggish?" Sluggish in what way? Mine zips through the screens, scrolls smoothly, opens apps fast, and closes them fast. Dialing a number may take 6-8 seconds, but other than that mine runs GREAT.
    What is wrong with the media player; it's not "great?" It has album art, play lists, sort by songs, artist, album, and sounds GREAT thru headphones? What, because it doesn't have iTunes, it's not "great?" You can hook it to your PC and drag songs on to it, delete, etc., again GREAT.
    Did you Storm2 break that you will not make it thru a 2 year plan? I see many people still using the original Storm and they look like new. I see no reason why my Storm2 will not make it until the end of my contract. The way technology goes, you would have to buy a new phone every year to really keep up; the Storms been out over 9 months so of course it isn't going to compete with Droid X, but that doesn't mean you can't use it until the end of your contract.
    08-05-10 12:21 PM
    08-05-10 12:26 PM
    I know we were warned against replying to your post, but this is just so far out there, I can't resist. If you thought you were buying an iPhone, why didn't you simply buy an iPhone, rather than be soooooooooo disappointed in the Storm2? It was the public, not RIM, that hailed it "the iPhone Killer." The browser, as with ALL Blackberry browsers are slow; all you had to do was ready ANY review and you would have known that - although it is certainly VERY usable.
    How can you say this phone is "sluggish?" Sluggish in what way? Mine zips through the screens, scrolls smoothly, opens apps fast, and closes them fast. Dialing a number may take 6-8 seconds, but other than that mine runs GREAT.
    What is wrong with the media player; it's not "great?" It has album art, play lists, sort by songs, artist, album, and sounds GREAT thru headphones? What, because it doesn't have iTunes, it's not "great?" You can hook it to your PC and drag songs on to it, delete, etc., again GREAT.
    Did you Storm2 break that you will not make it thru a 2 year plan? I see many people still using the original Storm and they look like new. I see no reason why my Storm2 will not make it until the end of my contract. The way technology goes, you would have to buy a new phone every year to really keep up; the Storms been out over 9 months so of course it isn't going to compete with Droid X, but that doesn't mean you can't use it until the end of your contract.
    I bought a Storm 2 and not an iPhone because I think Verizon Wireless is the lesser of all evils, so iPhone not an option.

I already said in previous posts of mine shame on me for not doing my homework - can you read?

I'm happy your phone is zippy. Mine still can take a couple of seconds to change from portrait to landscape, or several seconds for the phone to be ready to dial. I'm not looking for instantaneous, but I've seen other peoples smart phones and mine is slow by comparison - in MY eyes.

I'll skip any media player comments because it isn't that bad (I guess I like my iPod as a media player better for whatever reason).

And again, if you can read and understand the english language I thought I was pretty clear in that I expected something out of the box, whether the media threw the information in my face or RIM did, and I didn't get what I expected. And I still believe that 9 months out, if RIM leaves the Storm 2 out of OS6 then RIM is admitting its obsolescence, not me.

I guess I should give up attempting to post comments that are looking for discussion. It seems to many times many of you just hop on to start a fight. Well fight away. I'll defend myself if I want and act childish to copy some of you if it amuses me at the time.
    08-05-10 01:08 PM
    cory--great post, man!
    08-05-10 01:30 PM
    Aside from a 9 minute reboot time (I've tried everything) the phone has been perfect. As stated from other posters, it has done and continues to do what I want it to. I have the apps that I want/need on it which run great. The browser is what it is which I never had an issue with. I knew what I was getting when I bought it. I actually love the Surepress touch screen for typing more than the capacitive typing on my Incredible. I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon-at least not until my upgrade in July of next year. Just my two cents.
    08-05-10 02:10 PM
    Aside from a 9 minute reboot time (I've tried everything) the phone has been perfect. As stated from other posters, it has done and continues to do what I want it to. I have the apps that I want/need on it which run great. The browser is what it is which I never had an issue with. I knew what I was getting when I bought it. I actually love the Surepress touch screen for typing more than the capacitive typing on my Incredible. I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon-at least not until my upgrade in July of next year. Just my two cents.
    define "everything". I got my boot time back to the "usual" for my phone, which is 3:30-3:40 by reinstalling the OS. have you got a boatload of apps? is it slow to boot with the SD card removed?
    08-05-10 02:13 PM
    I suggest you back up, wipe and reload your OS. 9 minutes is obviously not normal. Which OS do you run?
    Last edited by plkcable; 08-05-10 at 02:21 PM.
    08-05-10 02:19 PM
    Holy Light Speed, Batman, this makes two, count 'em, TWO times, in TWO days that I'm agreeing with Dave...that is very scary indeed!

You're right, Dave, the pace has picked up, though that is no excuse, if you want to play in the sandbox with the all the big boys, you have to keep up.

That being said, since the OP was (again, how many times you going to state this same drivel? Can you please come up with something new and not have the same stuff posted again and again and again? if you're not happy, move on and stop the whining. No, the S2 is not the most advanced device on the market, no, it was not built "future proof" and, no, I am not disappointed in my own purchase. My phone is doing what I hoped for it to do. I would never, ever, buy a phone thinking that this will carry me into the next gen. Could it be better? Sure, am I crying? no. I buy based on my needs/expectations at the moment and not for what "tomorrow will bring."

To the OP, sorry dude, but your repeated posts/threads on the same subject implies some other motive. I don't claim to know what it is, but you're not happy..fine, go find what makes you happy. You've stated your views. Others have stated there. You obviously wanted a response or you would not have posted to begin with, but just because you don't agree with them, does not negate or otherwise, minimize the feelings of others. SOME of us are pleased with the performance of our phones. I know I am. And no, I don't think it's the "best" or the "greatest" but it works well, is very dependable and will carry me over to the next generation.

I look at it this way. the pace of model replacements has picked up recently.
    08-05-10 02:21 PM
    My boot time is in the 7 minute range. It is what it is. The apps/utilities I have installed, slows it up, but since I ONLY reboot when I do a battery change just before going to bed, it's not at all an issue. I have no need to do a battery pull at any other time. In the 9+ months I've had this phone, I have only "needed" to reboot twice, so ::: shrug ::: not even an issue for me.
    08-05-10 02:23 PM
    I bought a Storm 2 and not an iPhone because I think Verizon Wireless is the lesser of all evils, so iPhone not an option.

I already said in previous posts of mine shame on me for not doing my homework - can you read?

I'm happy your phone is zippy. Mine still can take a couple of seconds to change from portrait to landscape, or several seconds for the phone to be ready to dial. I'm not looking for instantaneous, but I've seen other peoples smart phones and mine is slow by comparison - in MY eyes.

I'll skip any media player comments because it isn't that bad (I guess I like my iPod as a media player better for whatever reason).

And again, if you can read and understand the english language I thought I was pretty clear in that I expected something out of the box, whether the media threw the information in my face or RIM did, and I didn't get what I expected. And I still believe that 9 months out, if RIM leaves the Storm 2 out of OS6 then RIM is admitting its obsolescence, not me.

I guess I should give up attempting to post comments that are looking for discussion. It seems to many times many of you just hop on to start a fight. Well fight away. I'll defend myself if I want and act childish to copy some of you if it amuses me at the time.
    I think your expectations were not realistic and you didn't do your homework, end of story.
    08-05-10 02:48 PM
    Guys, I'm running Vz's latest .713. I had the same problem with .607 too. I did the backup-wipe-reload with both OS's and did them without the sd card too but to no avail. I did fail to mention that I didn't have this issue with the first two Vz builds. It was probably like a 3-4 min boot time. I'm too lazy to go back to them. It's not that big a deal. It may be a particular app that I may have installed too but don't have the time to go one by one loading to figure it out. I've got about 30-35 apps with about 75 megs free. Any other advice would be appreciated but still-this is not that big of a deal.
    08-05-10 03:00 PM
    I did fail to mention that I didn't have this issue with the first two Vz builds. It was probably like a 3-4 min boot time.
    There were only 3 VZW releases 320, 607, 713. After 517, the OS' released for S2 were poor performers.
    08-05-10 03:05 PM
    There were only 3 VZW releases 320, 607, 713. After 517, the OS' released for S2 were poor performers.
    bullcrap, with bells on
    08-05-10 03:09 PM

You condescending and childish person...ya, I can read and understand the English language, I have a Masters in English Literature...they were correct and I should not have encouraged you; I will not accommodate a platform for you to spread your bull$hit.
    08-05-10 03:11 PM
    Please say "Aye" if you agree the storm2 is an almost perfect phone.
    08-05-10 03:12 PM
    I found a new home for this thread.
    08-05-10 03:20 PM
    Please say "Aye" if you agree the storm2 is an almost perfect phone.
    i can't bring myself to say it's "almost perfect", but it does most of what I want a cell phone to do, and do it well. My PRIMARY requirements are that it has a loud, clear speaker, is "best of breed" for reading the screen in direct sunlight, doesn't drop calls (mine NEVER, EVER has dropped a call), and is reasonably reliable and durable (for a glass-screen device, that is). oh, and I LOVE Surepress, and would miss BBM if I switched brands.

What it could use is:

1. speedier processor
    2. more memory
    3. lighter weight (without sacraficing battery life--I know, I know, a conundrum)
    4. a few more decent & free apps
    5. more pixels, without chasing "specs" like Apple has done

When all is said and done, there is currently no phone I would throw my S2 under the bus for. We are getting closer, but not quite there yet.
    08-05-10 03:21 PM
82 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD