I went to my local library today, and checked out a couple of Javascript programming books. I have basic programming experience from my Trash-80 days. Yeah I know that is a give away as to how ancient I am.

Thanks to dmglakewood for putting me onto the right track for learning a new language.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 04:27 PM
    i think you checked out the wrong books (well i KNOW you checked out the wrong books, assuming you didnt mis type)

the BB storm and all recent BB's use JAVA, specifically Java2 Micro Edition.

javascript does NOT equal JAVA. javascript will help you to write web applications, thats it.

you need to learn JAVA, then learn J2ME and then learn the BB API's.
    02-13-09 04:35 PM
    Ok. I will have to search the library catalog online and request them. Those weren't on the shelf today.

02-13-09 04:41 PM
    look for head first java, supposedly the best java book you can get.
    02-13-09 04:54 PM
    I double checked what I signed out. Head First is one of the books I grabbed. Guess that is the one I will read. Thanks.

02-13-09 05:05 PM
    Head First Java

NOT

Head First Javascript right? Cause i know there is also a head first javascript and wouldnt want you to waste so much time learning javascript!
    02-13-09 05:13 PM
    Yup, I will have to search and request. Thanks for catching that before I wasted time on the books to find I am in the area.
    02-13-09 06:47 PM
    I believe you have chosen the right language to learn by choosing Java.
    I have about 10 years of working experience in the field of programming. From my experience, to learn programming one should not try and learn object oriented programming in the first step but at the same time one should not try to take very small steps and start with html or javascript. Start with Java but in small steps. Java because its easy to learn. Some might find it difficult if they don't take small steps to learn it. So, at first, just try to learn to use various types of statements, variables, functions and some of the java keywords. (Java has only about 45 keywords that make up the whole language). Don't be overwhelmed by looking at its huge api. Just learn the statements, variables, functions and some of the java keywords. Next thing try to learn what are classes and objects and interfaces. Don't try to learn Inheritence yet. Learn it as the third step after you know what are classes and objects well.

If you want to know how to do the setup on your machine and learn to write your first program, use the following link: get-java-training.blogspot.com It details what you need and how to setup your machine to get set to learn Java.

get-java-training.blogspot.com
    02-14-09 03:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD