Disclaimer: If you will come into the thread and you are not having the issues I am, PLEASE LEAVE!!! I don't need your flaming comments!!! I don't want an iphone!!!! EDIT: My rand is HARDWARE, not SOFTWARE!!!

Ok, I absolutely love my storm!!! I love how it looks and it's capabilities, but I feel like RIM and VZW screwed up BIG TIME!!!

First, this is my storm #6, it's a brand new unit (date on it is 5/3 and made in Mexico) that I received last Friday, just made it a week and I am already seeing dust under the screen and my escape button is making a crunchy weird sounds!!! I protect my phone more than I protect anything, I wipe dust off, every single spec every 5 minutes.....I have a designated space for it in my purse (that's always clean without dust), it never goes into pockets....and at home, my precious storm is hand-carried and gently placed on clean surfaces!

I am not going to complain about OS, cause I think everyone is on the same page with that....but come on RIM, the storm is such an awesome phone, how could you have F--UP the quality of it so bad?????? Really????

Ok....deep breath in/out....
    Last edited by olta777; 05-08-09 at 11:54 AM.
    05-08-09 11:42 AM
    I can see your problem already, all those 3rd party apps that are in your signature, REMOVE THEM! You will only need one battery pull a day when they are removed.
    05-08-09 11:44 AM
    I can see your problem already, all those 3rd party apps that are in your signature, REMOVE THEM! You will only need one battery pull a day when they are removed.
    Thanks, I will see if that fixes the dust problem and makes the crunchy sound go away from the escape button!!!
    05-08-09 11:52 AM
    Did you bother to read the OPs post???
    05-08-09 11:55 AM
    Did you bother to read the OPs post???
    I think he was being sarcastic
    05-08-09 11:56 AM
    trolls dont read, they only have like 2-3 programmed responses
    05-08-09 11:58 AM
    Disclaimer: If you will come into the thread and you are not having the issues I am, PLEASE LEAVE!!! I don't need your flaming comments!!! I don't want an iphone!!!! EDIT: My rand is HARDWARE, not SOFTWARE!!!
    Quite the rant and I agree that I love the storm but I have been through three on my fourth and It needs to be replaced but I'm tired of replacing them. Parts of the hardware I think are fine but the ones you named are not. I have had numerous occasions where I have had to take a mini-blower and remove items from under the keys, and as for the dust under the screen, WTF RIM. Well, Cinco de Mayo just passed and it seems like another drink is in order.
    05-08-09 11:58 AM
    I think he was being sarcastic

I thought so as well but I think people don't realize that sarcasm is in the voice and body, not in the typing (which is literal).
    05-08-09 12:00 PM
    I must be lucky. I have one itsy bitsy teeny weeny spec o' poo under my screen... And i work outside. My screen clicks fine, my buttons work fine. I'm on it constantly and have no issues after 2.5 months. I know they exist tho cuz I deliver replacements and hear all the complaints. So I'll drinkto celebrate the good fortune of me Stormie!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-09 12:15 PM
    You must be. And I don't deny that there are perfect storms. Out of my replacements, this is the second with dust. One of them, the green button fell off, two had call quality issues (on .75 ) and if I remember one had screen clicking issue. I am at a point of trying another replacement and if that one has any issues, I am taking it apart myself and fixing it. Trust me, I will find that perfect seal to prevent dust

I must be lucky. I have one itsy bitsy teeny weeny spec o' poo under my screen... And i work outside. My screen clicks fine, my buttons work fine. I'm on it constantly and have no issues after 2.5 months. I know they exist tho cuz I deliver replacements and hear all the complaints. So I'll drinkto celebrate the good fortune of me Stormie!

05-08-09 03:14 PM
    You must be. And I don't deny that there are perfect storms. Out of my replacements, this is the second with dust. One of them, the green button fell off, two had call quality issues (on .75 ) and if I remember one had screen clicking issue. I am at a point of trying another replacement and if that one has any issues, I am taking it apart myself and fixing it. Trust me, I will find that perfect seal to prevent dust

If you do post it....cuz I'm sure my luck may eventually run out

05-08-09 03:28 PM
    WTF??? ^^^^

05-08-09 03:29 PM
    Thanks, I will see if that fixes the dust problem and makes the crunchy sound go away from the escape button!!!
    Those problems are from the Mexican Sand they use while assembling them. JK

Mine was made in Mexico and no problems.

Olta, I have been here since Dec and I have said this over and over. Maybe this device, no matter how much you like it, is not for you. I am NOT flaming, just stating fact. There are those of you that can not get it right or get the damn thing to work for them. This might be the case for you. There are so many devices out there that are great devices and there has got to be one that is a better fit for you. Again not flaming.

Also, I commend you, I would have quit after the second one.

One thing I think is that there has got to be something that has got to be happening to those of you that have had so many devices. Either your expectations are higher than you will get from the Storm OR you are beating the **** out of them upon arrival. JK on that second one.
    05-08-09 11:37 PM
    Those problems are from the Mexican Sand they use while assembling them. JK

Mine was made in Mexico and no problems.

Olta, I have been here since Dec and I have said this over and over. Maybe this device, no matter how much you like it, is not for you. I am NOT flaming, just stating fact. There are those of you that can not get it right or get the damn thing to work for them. This might be the case for you. There are so many devices out there that are great devices and there has got to be one that is a better fit for you. Again not flaming.

Also, I commend you, I would have quit after the second one.

One thing I think is that there has got to be something that has got to be happening to those of you that have had so many devices. Either your expectations are higher than you will get from the Storm OR you are beating the **** out of them upon arrival. JK on that second one.
    Well, see madphone, the thing is I love the storm!!! Like I said, I am a girl and you know how picky we can be. I know it will not be perfect...I am ok with dust getting into the gaps, but not under the screen and every time I compose a SMS/MMS or email, it's like having floaties on my eyes!!! I am not one of those that my phone has to be pink and cute, I love the look of storm (sleek, professional, perfect size, big screen), love it's capabilities and I know it will be fine....I can sacrifice on things, but unfortunately dust is not one of them....I could have lived with the crunchy button, really.
    05-09-09 12:16 AM
    Well, see madphone, the thing is I love the storm!!! Like I said, I am a girl and you know how picky we can be. I know it will not be perfect...I am ok with dust getting into the gaps, but not under the screen and every time I compose a SMS/MMS or email, it's like having floaties on my eyes!!! I am not one of those that my phone has to be pink and cute, I love the look of storm (sleek, professional, perfect size, big screen), love it's capabilities and I know it will be fine....I can sacrifice on things, but unfortunately dust is not one of them....I could have lived with the crunchy button, really.
    Even if they put some kind of a seal in, it would have eventually failed, then people would be complaining because it most likely would have failed at about the 18 month mark of the 24 month contract, so outside of RIM's 1 year warranty. Then you'd have people screaming about how it was designed to fail after that long, ignoring the mind boggling difficulty of engineering something to fail on schedule. Who's going to let a little logic get in the way of a good conspiracy theory about the giant evil corporation that is only after your money? They are, but there's just no giant conspiracy involved.

Dust is just one of those things you have to deal with. That's just what it comes down to at the end of the day. You can stay up on your high horse and preach from on high about how you shouldn't have to deal with this. I shouldn't have to deal with traffic coming to a complete standstill on the freeway... It's a freeway for f uck's sake. The whole point is supposed to be keeping traffic flowing quickly, not grind to a halt. I can climb up on the roof of my car in a traffic jam, I can preach this gospel until I lose my voice... None of it is going to make traffic move any faster, it might even make things worse, just like complaining here about dust under the screen isn't going to do anything to address the problem.

Whether or not you should have to deal with it, you do, that's just how it is. Once you get past that sense of entitlement, and realize that none of us are really that important in the grand scheme of things, you can either throw your hands up and give up, or you can figure out some way to deal with the issue. You could put the phone into a ziplock bag before putting it back in your purse, for example. And yes, once again, maybe you shouldn't have to do that, but see the above. At what point do you start doing for yourself instead of expecting others to do things for you?

At the end of the day, whether or not you should have to deal with dust is completely irrelevant, because you do. So, now it's up to you to decide how you're going to deal with it. Are you going to keep whining and hope that it miraculously fixes itself some day, or are you just going to accept reality, warts and all, and do something about it?
    05-09-09 09:35 AM
    Bigman thanks. Like I said I am fine if dust gets into gaps, but not under screen. A good example of a seal that I am talking about is check out the ipod. The gap on it around the screen is as big as the storms if not bigger, but check out how nicely its sealed. That's all I was trying to say. I don't see any relevance between the dust issue and the traffic example

Even if they put some kind of a seal in, it would have eventually failed, then people would be complaining because it most likely would have failed at about the 18 month mark of the 24 month contract, so outside of RIM's 1 year warranty. Then you'd have people screaming about how it was designed to fail after that long, ignoring the mind boggling difficulty of engineering something to fail on schedule. Who's going to let a little logic get in the way of a good conspiracy theory about the giant evil corporation that is only after your money? They are, but there's just no giant conspiracy involved.

Dust is just one of those things you have to deal with. That's just what it comes down to at the end of the day. You can stay up on your high horse and preach from on high about how you shouldn't have to deal with this. I shouldn't have to deal with traffic coming to a complete standstill on the freeway... It's a freeway for f uck's sake. The whole point is supposed to be keeping traffic flowing quickly, not grind to a halt. I can climb up on the roof of my car in a traffic jam, I can preach this gospel until I lose my voice... None of it is going to make traffic move any faster, it might even make things worse, just like complaining here about dust under the screen isn't going to do anything to address the problem.

Whether or not you should have to deal with it, you do, that's just how it is. Once you get past that sense of entitlement, and realize that none of us are really that important in the grand scheme of things, you can either throw your hands up and give up, or you can figure out some way to deal with the issue. You could put the phone into a ziplock bag before putting it back in your purse, for example. And yes, once again, maybe you shouldn't have to do that, but see the above. At what point do you start doing for yourself instead of expecting others to do things for you?

At the end of the day, whether or not you should have to deal with dust is completely irrelevant, because you do. So, now it's up to you to decide how you're going to deal with it. Are you going to keep whining and hope that it miraculously fixes itself some day, or are you just going to accept reality, warts and all, and do something about it?
    05-09-09 11:12 AM
    Bigman thanks. Like I said I am fine if dust gets into gaps, but not under screen. A good example of a seal that I am talking about is check out the ipod. The gap on it around the screen is as big as the storms if not bigger, but check out how nicely its sealed. That's all I was trying to say. I don't see any relevance between the dust issue and the traffic example
    Olta, I saw a fix for this. I know that you should not have to fix it but if you want to keep it??

I do not remember where, but it was a fix. It was a adhesive the goes on around the edges of the two pieces of glass to keep dust out. Problem is, you have to take the damn thing apart. Not everyone is comfortable with that. It makes me wonder why RIM did not seal the pieces to begin with.

I also do not see how it would have been so hard to get a gasket that is flexible to go around between the screen and the frame. This would have kept dust and moisture out while locking the light in.

Again, I have not had a problem with this nor do any of those that I know have this problem.
    05-09-09 12:43 PM
    Olta you've burned through 5 devices now it looks like #6 is failing on you as well (dust/button). So essentially your going to eventually have to move onto #7.

If you're just blowing off some steam and ranting about RIM and VZW so be it. I'm not saying your going to continue to complain but nobody will listen. You've exchanged it 6 times.

Why do you keep exchanging them out? You've burned through 6 already, don't you think its time to move on?

The whole "I love my Storm but I'm on #X" is baffling.

I don't care how much I liked a phone. I would exchange it out once and if that one failed that would be it. I'd move on. If you haven't figured out by now that the Storm is a terribly made device you never will. Deal with the dust and broken buttons its just the way it is.

05-09-09 01:00 PM
    Yeah I think I may do a little research and may be seal up the new one straight from the box. Hey may be taking apart would fix the button issue too??? I will look into this. Thanks.

Olta, I saw a fix for this. I know that you should not have to fix it but if you want to keep it??

I do not remember where, but it was a fix. It was a adhesive the goes on around the edges of the two pieces of glass to keep dust out. Problem is, you have to take the damn thing apart. Not everyone is comfortable with that. It makes me wonder why RIM did not seal the pieces to begin with.

I also do not see how it would have been so hard to get a gasket that is flexible to go around between the screen and the frame. This would have kept dust and moisture out while locking the light in.

Again, I have not had a problem with this nor do any of those that I know have this problem.
    05-09-09 01:34 PM
    Ck thanks. I was almost expecting to get a way more negative post from ya. Sorry. But yes, I may look into taking it apart and definitely customizing it. That would be a sacrifice. In the last resort, I guess storm 2 will come out and I REALLY hope that RIM got enough complaints about the dust that they actually did something about it. Thanks everyone for support.

I know this phone has issues but its been my best friend

Olta you've burned through 5 devices now it looks like #6 is failing on you as well (dust/button). So essentially your going to eventually have to move onto #7.

If you're just blowing off some steam and ranting about RIM and VZW so be it. I'm not saying your going to continue to complain but nobody will listen. You've exchanged it 6 times.

Why do you keep exchanging them out? You've burned through 6 already, don't you think its time to move on?

The whole "I love my Storm but I'm on #X" is baffling.

I don't care how much I liked a phone. I would exchange it out once and if that one failed that would be it. I'd move on. If you haven't figured out by now that the Storm is a terribly made device you never will. Deal with the dust and broken buttons its just the way it is.

05-09-09 01:38 PM
    Ha ha. Thanks everyone. I have one coming on Tuesday and if that one has any issues, I will send it back and take this one apart. I will definitely post pics and let you know how it goes.

To Bigman, I totally understand what you are trying to say. I just think that storm definitely lower in quality than other RIM devices. It could have been due to pressure from vzw? I don't know. At this point, yes, we have no choice except to find the best solution in this situation, and that of course what works for each person individually.

05-09-09 05:32 PM
    CK, this will be off topic....but what keeps you "glued" to storm forums, just out of curiosity?
    05-09-09 08:00 PM
    Damn that kinda sucks. I'm on storm 3 and have yet had to replace any for dust issues. I've yet to get dust under the screen hopefully it stays that way.

05-09-09 08:37 PM
    Its not an awesome phone. It's an ok phone that had the potential to be awesome, but apparently RIM and VW don't care enough to make awesome
    05-09-09 08:56 PM
    CK, this will be off topic....but what keeps you "glued" to storm forums, just out of curiosity?
    I will be brief and I also want to spare boring you.

First off I love BB's
    (don't we all) and I followed the Storm long before release (like most)

Couldn't wait for it to come out. Then when it was released, you know the rest of the story.

What keeps me "glued"? Damnn good question. Its an interesting subject/forum. The Storm is very unique in that it will go down as one of the worst blackberries ever released. If you know RIMs products its mind boggling what has happened and what people are dealing with.

I don't think there is a good answer to your question and I'm not sure I can really answer it.

As strange as it sounds the Storms epic failings make it interesting.

That's an honest and straight forward answer.

05-09-09 09:54 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD