What's up with the carrier hate? There is no "best possible network." Each one has its own set of pros and cons, and each network works better in certain areas than the others.

And to answer the question of the topic, I agree with the post that said if apple was handling the storm rollout, they probably would have sold iphones instead! Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 09:54 AM
    Right but Verizon is not that much better than AT&T. At least AT&T doesn't go around nickle and dime folks. Also depending on where you are AT&T has better service than Verizon.
    AT&T might be fine in some places. In some places, it may be the "best." But I think it is generally accepted that Verizon has close to the best network right now. Consumer Reports had AT&T dead last in the majority of regions tested and Verizon first in the same. Anecdotal evidence, while unscientific, is just the icing on the cake.

As for the "nickel and diming," it's annoying, but how is it really different from AT&T charging an extra $15 for unlimited text messages when it was included before? All these companies are out to r*** the consumers. To be honest, I don't need visual voicemail, so I won't pay for it. I don't see anyone paying less on AT&T for a data plan without visual voicemail - because it's not an option.

My point is that "depending on where you are," Verizon has better service than AT&T, and for people in those areas, talking about the iPhone until we're blue in the face will result in a lot of blue faces, but no iPhone sales.
    11-21-08 10:04 AM
    LOL, the storm also got hyped and now it's starting to dissapoint, how can you get hit with some many bad reviews.
    No offense but the Storm "hype" as you call it was a few radio, tv, and newspaper ads. The iphone was HYPED, HYPED and then for good measure they HYPED it again.

And, again, no offense but the iphone had just as many bad reviews in the first few days. Do some research or don't post out your ***.
    11-21-08 10:26 AM
    No offense but the Storm "hype" as you call it was a few radio, tv, and newspaper ads. The iphone was HYPED, HYPED and then for good measure they HYPED it again.

And, again, no offense but the iphone had just as many bad reviews in the first few days. Do some research or don't post out your ***.
    So which hype did the iphone get, show me all the hype that Apple did, some people out of their sheer hate for the iphone just make up stories. The iphone had as much hype as the storm. The Storm is the most anticipated Blackberry ever, it had just as much hype.

Show me all the terrible reviews that either the original iphone or the 3g had when they released, I mean I haven't found one mainstream blog or media publication that has anything wonderful to say about the storm which was supposed to be this so called "iphone killer."
    11-21-08 10:45 AM
    Apple would have allowed only one phone per customer. At my store they allowed people in line to get phones for friends as long as those friends had a verizon number. One guy got 5, another bought 15. Then they ran out screwing all the poeple standing in line waiting.
    11-21-08 10:53 AM
    So which hype did the iphone get, show me all the hype that Apple did, some people out of their sheer hate for the iphone just make up stories. The iphone had as much hype as the storm. The Storm is the most anticipated Blackberry ever, it had just as much hype.

Show me all the terrible reviews that either the original iphone or the 3g had when they released, I mean I haven't found one mainstream blog or media publication that has anything wonderful to say about the storm which was supposed to be this so called "iphone killer."
    Look, the iPhone had a great marketing campaign, and it caused a lot of industry AND general interest buzz. I don't know why you're being so defensive about this. Are we supposed to deny Apple's marketing ingenuity? Does anyone wonder why we are STILL seeing those Mac commercials with Justin Long and John Hodgman? It's because it is a successful ad campaign.

You seem to think that "hype" and ubiquity is somehow inherently bad. The iPhone was "hyped" because it was an exciting new consumer oriented product. I think you will find that the average person knew about the iPhone before the Storm (in their relative time frames).

And let's not talk about people's "sheer hatred for the iPhone," because it works both ways. Here we are simply saying that the iPhone received more buzz than the Storm, and you're actually arguing against it? Why?
    11-21-08 11:01 AM
    Look, the iPhone had a great marketing campaign, and it caused a lot of industry AND general interest buzz. I don't know why you're being so defensive about this. Are we supposed to deny Apple's marketing ingenuity? Does anyone wonder why we are STILL seeing those Mac commercials with Justin Long and John Hodgman? It's because it is a successful ad campaign.

You seem to think that "hype" and ubiquity is somehow inherently bad. The iPhone was "hyped" because it was an exciting new consumer oriented product. I think you will find that the average person knew about the iPhone before the Storm (in their relative time frames).

And let's not talk about people's "sheer hatred for the iPhone," because it works both ways. Here we are simply saying that the iPhone received more buzz than the Storm, and you're actually arguing against it? Why?
    So it's Apple's fault that the media and people in general love talking about their products, if people didn't like their products why the heck would it get so much attention? People just get excited by Apple products, you don't like it, well to bad. It's not like it's only Apple that does commericals, every company does commercials to sell their products. Even RIM, I can't count the amount of Blackberry commercials I'm seeing these days on television. But oh no when Apple does it, they are just a bunch of marketers who only sell their products through marketing and hype. Rigghttttttttt...

I think most of these iphone envy has to do with all the attention it gets, some people don't believe they deserve all this attention, which is why they have this complex regarding the iphone.
    11-21-08 11:09 AM
    Unbelievable.

Verizon store #1 at 9:05... sold out in the first 5 minutes.
    Verizon store #2 opened at 10:00, I was there at 10:11... sold out. BOTH stores had told me over the phone that they had stock and didn't see an issue with me coming in and having one available. The second store later told me that they were only set 3 storms!!!! Only 3? Are you kidding me? Why even bother?

Then I went online to buy one, one second the storm is on the touchscreen phone list, site goes down, next minute the storm is no longer on the list. So I call in to place my order. I'll believe it when I see it.

I think Verizon SERIOUSLY screwed up here at multiple supply levels. All levels should have been better prepared to handle the demand today. That said, I guess its not like I'm waiting for an organ transplant, I can live without my storm for a few more days, I'll just be grumpy.

Mike
    11-21-08 11:13 AM
    apple would have just made fun of the competition and blatantly lied to make themselves seem better.
    11-21-08 11:16 AM
    apple would have just made fun of the competition and blatantly lied to make themselves seem better.
    Right I guess Vista being a dud is Apple's fault.
    11-21-08 11:21 AM
    So it's Apple's fault that the media and people in general love talking about their products, if people didn't like their products why the heck would it get so much attention? People just get excited by Apple products, you don't like it, well to bad. It's not like it's only Apple that does commericals, every company does commercials to sell their products. Even RIM, I can't count the amount of Blackberry commercials I'm seeing these days on television. But oh no when Apple does it, they are just a bunch of marketers who only sell their products through marketing and hype. Rigghttttttttt...

I think most of these iphone envy has to do with all the attention it gets, some people don't believe they deserve all this attention, which is why they have this complex regarding the iphone.
    WTF??? Where are you getting this from? Let me be honest with you, I am pretty sure I have seen you posting on the Apple boards (MacRumors, AppleInsider, whatever), and you are an unmitigated fanboy. It seems like if a person isn't shouting from the rooftops that the iPhone is THE BEST!!!, it means they hold some sort of unjustified animosity towards it as a result of some ridiculous definition of "envy." Do I have that right?

My post was in no way belittling or bashing the iPhone. I think it's great. It's not perfect, but it's an innovative and top notch product. I am a Mac and iPod user. I think Apple is a smart company. The point of this thread was asking how Apple would have handled this launch, and many of us who actually remember the iPhone 3G launch simply noted that it did not exactly roll out smooth as silk. It seems far off in the distance now, but back in July, there were a lot of disgruntled Apple fans/AT&T customers, just like there are today with RIM/Verizon's.
    11-21-08 11:22 AM
    WTF??? Where are you getting this from? Let me be honest with you, I am pretty sure I have seen you posting on the Apple boards (MacRumors, AppleInsider, whatever), and you are an unmitigated fanboy. It seems like if a person isn't shouting from the rooftops that the iPhone is THE BEST!!!, it means they hold some sort of unjustified animosity towards it as a result of some ridiculous definition of "envy." Do I have that right?

My post was in no way belittling or bashing the iPhone. I think it's great. It's not perfect, but it's an innovative and top notch product. I am a Mac and iPod user. I think Apple is a smart company. The point of this thread was asking how Apple would have handled this launch, and many of us who actually remember the iPhone 3G launch simply noted that it did not exactly roll out smooth as silk. It seems far off in the distance now, but back in July, there were a lot of disgruntled Apple fans/AT&T customers, just like there are today with RIM/Verizon's.
    I'm not a fanboy, just a realist, tell it like it is.
    11-21-08 11:25 AM
    RIM dropped the ball on this one big time. Let this be a lesson to them. There's a thing called tough love and RIM is about to get some.

I love BB's but let's be honest they fell short on this one.

11-21-08 11:25 AM
    Apple / AT&T would have botched this the same as BOTH iPhone roll outs... the only difference is - Apple would have made you feel great about the experience!
    Yeah like they did you a favor or making you wait in the cold for nothing.

But to add to the comments let's talking about the I Phone pricing issues. They launched with this exagerated price just to have to turn around and give rebates a few months later, just to push their next version.

I'm glad that verizon at least started out with fair and decent pricing and they did over inhalate their data plans just for the joy of having the Strom
    11-21-08 11:30 AM
    I'm not a fanboy, just a realist, tell it like it is.
    Right. So BE realistic. "Tell it like it is," and admit that the iPhone 3G launch was a botched, badly. How many free MobileMe subscriptions did they have to give out to placate their customers? How long did it take for them to release an update to fix the keyboard lag? How long did it take for the stores to have ample supply for demand?

I don't hate the iPhone. Like, I said, I am an Apple customer, and maybe if I were on AT&T or if the iPhone was on Verizon, I'd have gotten one by now. The "MB" in my name here stands for MacBook. I really like mine. But I'm not going to put my fingers in my ears and scream like a child when Apple messes up, so let's not pretend they didn't with regard to the 3G launch.
    11-21-08 11:33 AM
    Storm's biggest rollout screwup = almost zero hardware in-store

iPhone's biggest rollout screwup = activation server meltdown

personally, I think the Storm screwup is worse. At least people waiting for hours for iPhones got one in their hands. There's plenty of fun to be had playing with the iPhone even if you can't get it activated right away.

But being turned away from a VZW store empty handed, with absolutely nothing, first thing in the morning? that's 100% FAIL.
    11-21-08 11:37 AM
    Storm's biggest rollout screwup = almost zero hardware in-store

iPhone's biggest rollout screwup = activation server meltdown

personally, I think the Storm screwup is worse. At least people waiting for hours for iPhones got one in their hands. There's plenty of fun to be had playing with the iPhone even if you can't get it activated right away.

But being turned away from a VZW store empty handed, with absolutely nothing, first thing in the morning? that's 100% FAIL.
    Yeah, I agree. What is the point of supplying only 5 devices to a store? Not rhetorical... is there a reason why some of these stores have received SO FEW units?
    11-21-08 11:39 AM
    Right. So BE realistic. "Tell it like it is," and admit that the iPhone 3G launch was a botched, badly. How many free MobileMe subscriptions did they have to give out to placate their customers? How long did it take for them to release an update to fix the keyboard lag? How long did it take for the stores to have ample supply for demand?

I don't hate the iPhone. Like, I said, I am an Apple customer, and maybe if I were on AT&T or if the iPhone was on Verizon, I'd have gotten one by now. The "MB" in my name here stands for MacBook. I really like mine. But I'm not going to put my fingers in my ears and scream like a child when Apple messes up, so let's not pretend they didn't with regard to the 3G launch.
    If you read all I've said in this thread, I never once said Apple didn't botch the launch. 2008 hasn't really been a good year for Apple. I'm just here to shoot down any of the blackeberry fanboys and their complex about Apple.
    11-21-08 11:45 AM
    Also bear in mind that iphone2 was essentially just iphone1 with 3g and gps.
    And they still couldn't get it right. Imagine if bold2 came out next summer with a few extras and bombed like iphone2 did?
    Remember storm is a new interface for RIM, and the first click screen ever.
    I see no more issues with the storm than the iphone2 had.

11-21-08 11:49 AM
    If you read all I've said in this thread, I never once said Apple didn't botch the launch. 2008 hasn't really been a good year for Apple. I'm just here to shoot down any of the blackeberry fanboys and their complex about Apple.
    Oh, OK, so you came here with the intention to be off topic and incendiary. Great.
    11-21-08 12:00 PM
    Also bear in mind that iphone2 was essentially just iphone1 with 3g and gps.
    And they still couldn't get it right. Imagine if bold2 came out next summer with a few extras and bombed like iphone2 did?
    Remember storm is a new interface for RIM, and the first click screen ever.
    I see no more issues with the storm than the iphone2 had.

So because Apple botched their launch, we should also be glad that RIM is doing the same?
    11-21-08 12:03 PM
    I just picked up my Storm and it is a great phone so far. A couple bugs like taking up to 10 sec. to switch from portrait to landscape & vice versa, but overall I am very impressed with the Storm and that will be corrected I'm sure. There will be an adjustment for me being that I'm coming over from a Sprint Treo 700p, but the Storm is world class. This just frustrates me even more because BB/VZW should have really done a much better job of defining & hyping this phone for not only the consumers, but the media/blogger reviewers as well. The Storm will be a big seller because it's great, but BB/VZW did not do all they could have IMO to make sure this was a SMASH right out of the gates!
    11-21-08 12:48 PM
    Apple sucks, they would've charged too much and then rolled out a better phone a ton cheaper a year later...
    11-22-08 03:53 AM
    Apple would have released it with the most recent OS version, a security flaw would have crippled the ATT network, that is if neone was able to activate their phones bc ATTs servers are terrible, on top of all that, the phone wouldnt have been subsidized well, there wouldnt be 3G and network congestion would be terrible bc the iphone is terrible at efficiently utilizing data connections
    11-22-08 04:34 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD