Can anyone help me? I'm in the USA using a Verizon brand new storm, 9950, global edition, or so it says on the box. I'm going to the UK this summer, how can I take my BB with me and use it there? I'm having trouble finding information. I know I can ask Verizon for an international calling plan but it's too pricey, I'd much rather get a sim in England and use that. Is it as simple as getting a new sim once I'm there, a pay as you go and just putting it in?

Thank you in advance!
    04-17-10 01:54 PM
    Can anyone help me? I'm in the USA using a Verizon brand new storm, 9950, global edition, or so it says on the box. I'm going to the UK this summer, how can I take my BB with me and use it there? I'm having trouble finding information. I know I can ask Verizon for an international calling plan but it's too pricey, I'd much rather get a sim in England and use that. Is it as simple as getting a new sim once I'm there, a pay as you go and just putting it in?

Thank you in advance!

Simple as getting a sim card when you get there. There places in the airport that can get you set up and running.
    04-17-10 02:09 PM
    Is it that simple? I'm familiar with the cell companies in England and pay as you go so I"m fine with that. Do I have to have my BB unlocked? I'm new to all this, haven't had my BB long but love it and want to use it as my phone in England.
    04-17-10 03:26 PM
    It might not be that simple as your handset may be locked to verizon.

As a visitor any UK pay as you go services do not support BIS or BES so you would be able to use it for voice/sms but not data unless in a wireless zone.

Tom
    04-17-10 03:39 PM
    but not data unless in a wireless zone.

Tom
    This is correct. However, could you explain what it is actually done to the device itself? I know that when I attended a conference I visited a kiosk at the airport where I purchased the card. I was only able to use data at the hotel. I and my company are on Verizon.
    04-17-10 03:57 PM
    It is due to the fact that on a UK pay as you go service it does not support BlackBerry feature simple as that.

Tom
    04-17-10 04:01 PM
    call vzw and get your device unlocked (free)
    they will guide you thru the steps (not short)
    get to UK, purchase a local sim with minutes and pop in vzw sims place (use eraser part of pencil for easier swap)

you will get all your emails thru wifi in those zones (if you pay, or in cafes/places were free)

sim for calls
    wifi for data
    this way you avoid vzw's hefty int calling/data plans.
    04-17-10 04:15 PM
    Call Verizon and tell them you will be using your phone abroad this summer and want to get it unlocked, the tech should help get you setup and running, tell them you will activate your international plan just before you leave and they shouldn't have a problem unlocking it for you. Hypothetically you should be able to use your phone with any sum card after this.

I was in the UK, Italy and Greece this past summer. I used the Verizon plan because at that time I too was unfamiliar with my new storm1. I ended up having Verizon foot the whole bill for a...err, FOUR huge screw ups on their part, all within 2 months and all 4 leaving me without one portion of my phone, voice or data. My 300+ dollar bill was 100% covered by my local vzw store...in retrospect, a Sim card for another network would have been nice and will be on the list for my next trip...

Just my little story and two cents lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-10 04:21 PM
    I'm wondering why there's so much confusion, why there seems to be different advice, surely it's quite a common thing to do? I'm not too bothered about using data, while I'm in England as long as I can use my BB for phone and text, I'll be happy. So just to clarify -

1. call Verizon and ask for my BB to be unlocked
    2. when in England purchase a sim card
    3. exchange the new UK sim in my BB

Will I then be able to use it in the UK? I don't want to use Verizon's international plan, it's far too expensive.

Thanks for all help!
    04-17-10 07:14 PM
    Here are some tips that will help you out tremendously. PHONE MUST BE UNLOCKED FROM VERIZION IN ORDER TO USE SIM FROM OTHER PROVIDER. Just call Verizon, as long as you have had service with Verison for 60 days, it will not be a problem at all.

I did the following:

1. Ordered a sim from UK SIM card for England - prepaid before I left. Be sure to specify that you need service from Orange, and the camel plan (or whichever plan meets your needs, other plans for cheaper rates calling within the UK.) that will give you 6p per minute calling back to the US (9 cents per minute). The reason you will want to specify Orange as your provider, is that Orange is the only PAY AS YOU GO provider in the UK that will activate the Blackberry Internet Service on a PAY AS YOU GO plan. No UK provider will activate the BES for you. They will send you the sim along with your UK phone number

2. Sign up for Google Voice before you leave. When your at the airport about to board the plane out of the US, forward your calls to your Google Voice number. If you have Google voice setup correctly, you will get an email with a wave file, as well as a text transcript of your voicemail.

3. Once you land in the UK, dial 450 on your phone and tell them that you want to activate the BIS on your phone. They will charge you 5 pounds (about $7.50) for unlimited service for a month. You can now get your voice mails from google voice. When you order your Sim, you will get 10 pounds of credit. Just use 5 for the data plan, and you will have 5 left for voice.

4. Use the Google voice application on your phone to send and receive free text messages back to the US. Simply go to your contacts, hit the menu button and choose "SMS using google voice".

5. Just as an added note, I was over for nearly a month, and I took my VOIP packet 8 phone with me along with a router. I connected the phone to the hotel internet service (free wifi) and was able to make unlimited free calling back to the US as well as receive my home phone calls as usual.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions.
    Last edited by phil1995; 04-17-10 at 11:06 PM.
    04-17-10 11:00 PM
    I tried for an hour to get verizon to unlock my phone cs rep kept sayin he had no idea where I heard I could get my phone unlocked,I paid 10 bucks got the code and can now use my phone with any sim card.
    04-18-10 01:59 AM
    Wow, this is great information, just what I'm looking for! I'm from the UK originally, so return often for visits and have always used another UK phone, something cheap, just phone but now I have my Storm 2 it would be great to be able to take that along.

Thank you!
    04-18-10 07:03 AM
    My bad, I forgot that it does have to be unlocked.
    04-18-10 08:37 AM
    Just in case others are reading this, my Storm 2 is now unlocked! I called Verizon, spoke to someone in the global dept., didn't have to give any excuses or anything, simply said I was going to England, please can I have the code to unlock my BB. The man I spoke to was more than happy to do this and even stayed on the line whilst I unlocked it. Very easy, very quick, now I'm all set to go!

Thanks for all the help.
    04-18-10 01:07 PM
    I tried for an hour to get verizon to unlock my phone cs rep kept sayin he had no idea where I heard I could get my phone unlocked,I paid 10 bucks got the code and can now use my phone with any sim card.
    You obviously got a moron on the other end. I usually just hang up and call right back and get someone else if I know that I am correct. Some of those CSR's are just not that sharp.
    04-18-10 04:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD