is there a way to tell, like on the sticker of the box?? if your going to get a good storm or a defective storm??? i want to buy one, but i dont want to get a defective one... and if not,, when will they release a none defective version??? i ask bc iv read alot of ppl are exchanging there storms..
    01-03-09 04:12 PM
    This question honestly made me laugh. Let's say that there was a way to tell if you are getting a defective unit, like maybe by looking at the S/N. Do you honestly think that any carrier would still ship out this unit? Think about it.

The short answer is no, you will not be able to tell if your unit is defective until you actually use it.

Amazing..... Sheesh.
    01-03-09 04:14 PM
    If the store allows you play with keyboard ...

Go to landscape. Type across the top row. If the click on the O and P are notably softer than the T and the Y, then I think it's safe to say you have the click issue discussed on this board.
    01-03-09 04:17 PM
    I think its a pretty good question for the basic "watch out for item."

If i could go to the store with what i know now to purchase the phone i would considering checking birth, birth place, battery, screen wiggle, dust, consistent click, and OS.

Now most of these are becuase of my OCD, but the rest are actually valid "watch for" items.
    01-03-09 04:20 PM
    I'm going to have to say no. The keyboard test will be a hit or miss and its going to be hard to test the software that the phone might have.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-09 04:26 PM
    there is a way,, with the sticker,, with the manufacture date,, something on the sticker.. ppl with the this phone have to do a sticker comparison with the defective unit and good unit..
    01-03-09 04:47 PM
    I have had my storm since day one...and have not had any issues....it's a crap shoot....
    01-03-09 04:49 PM
    This question honestly made me laugh. Let's say that there was a way to tell if you are getting a defective unit, like maybe by looking at the S/N. Do you honestly think that any carrier would still ship out this unit? Think about it.

The short answer is no, you will not be able to tell if your unit is defective until you actually use it.

Amazing..... Sheesh.
    The fact that this bothers you is sad. There is a goodly amount of anecdotal evidence as to what units have a good probility of being rotten. With a little data compilation, which some have tried to do on here, this data could easily predict good v. Bad units. Verizon is still shipping crap units as of last week, I bought a 19XXX unit from Canada 1 manufactured in Dec 28. It was defective. People who frequent this forum will agree that the 19 production number was prob crap before the box was openend. Sit down fanboy.

Last edited by dboggny; 01-03-09 at 05:48 PM.
    01-03-09 05:44 PM
    On behalf of Jennay she has a valid point
    Case in Point I am in the World of Digital X Ray and MRI etc...Kodak as we all no is a big company had a bunch of digital processors out in the wild that has sensor issues. Kodak alerted the Vendors of the issue but had no way of knowing which ones went out bad. Not by serial, manufacture date nothing you just had to wait for them to fail then repair.
    I believe this is due to multiple parts suppliers that are used to build the product. Just like RIM.
    01-03-09 06:45 PM
    Thank you spac.

To address the post above, I am not a fan boy. Before you start spouting dates and numbers, you obviously have no clue what you're talking about. If there were a known batch of defective storms which could be readily identified by a series if numbers on the box, do you honestly think rim or vzw would ship these units? I think not. Bottom line is there is no way to identify a defective unit without using it. Even in bad batches, not every single unit was defective.

Do your homework and exercise a little common sense before you post; it will save you from appearing completely ignorant.

Last edited by jenaywins; 01-03-09 at 07:05 PM.
    01-03-09 07:03 PM
    So far the best judge of defects by a medium of all units produced is where it was manufactured and when. Even this is not an accurate predictor. Look at some of the "dust under your screen" and "screen click" polls relative to the area of manufacturing. It seems with that (very broken) data, that a majority (of users that actually posted to the polls) of the phones manufactured in Mexico were of a better quality as opposed to Canada.

A good example that this is still not a good judge of quality is...

I received a brand new storm replacement via insurance earlier this week.
    It was manufactured in Mexico on 12/23/08
    The screen clicked beautifully! But the red "End" button was about to fall off.

Insurance sent a replacement for the replacment.
    This one was also manufactured in Mexico, on the same day 12/23/08
    The screen click is horrible on this one. You have to depress near the bottom of the screen 3 times as hard as anywhere else on the screen to execute a click.
    And the red "End" button is attatched and clicking well.

Don't worry about getting a defective one. Get it, work it for a couple of days. If it's qualities don't meet your standards, get another or return it.
    Last edited by saavedrajs; 01-03-09 at 08:22 PM.
    01-03-09 08:19 PM
    there is a way.. we just need to start a poll.. the ppl with good units and bad units.. with sticker info...
    01-04-09 04:31 AM
    Thank you spac.

To address the post above, I am not a fan boy. Before you start spouting dates and numbers, you obviously have no clue what you're talking about. If there were a known batch of defective storms which could be readily identified by a series if numbers on the box, do you honestly think rim or vzw would ship these units? I think not. Bottom line is there is no way to identify a defective unit without using it. Even in bad batches, not every single unit was defective.

Do your homework and exercise a little common sense before you post; it will save you from appearing completely ignorant.

Ignorant. Your in denial. The anecdotal evidence is overwhelimingly in favor of my postion that there is a big issue. A five minute statistical analysis will confirm this. To think that verizon or RIM doesn't see the handwriting on the wall is typical corporate behavior. Here is your fiddle Nero. Let us know when your screen stops working, if it hasn't already.
    Good day

01-04-09 06:22 AM
    settle down people. a few polls out there point to 21009s having less chance of problems, but the sample sizes are small...the only way to know for sure is to use the phone - test the screen, look for dust, etc.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/whe...issues-120063/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/hardware-poll-107728/
    01-04-09 06:59 AM
    thanx changel,, that helps me.. make my decision
    01-04-09 01:13 PM
    if you are going to post a question on the forum, how about putting a ? in the subject. your post sounded like you had discovered something.
    01-04-09 01:21 PM
    Ignorant. Your in denial. The anecdotal evidence is overwhelimingly in favor of my postion that there is a big issue. A five minute statistical analysis will confirm this. To think that verizon or RIM doesn't see the handwriting on the wall is typical corporate behavior. Here is your fiddle Nero. Let us know when your screen stops working, if it hasn't already.
    Good day

anecdotal evidence means thats its not proven and technically untrue.

Your position? What position? that you can tell if there is a defective device? You tell us how to tell, if you know so well

You just sound like your trying to hard to sound "smart" when you really have no idea what you are talking about.
    01-04-09 01:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD