Hello Storm-Users!
    I just wanted to share some infos with you on how to save battery on the Storm:

1) Make sure 3G is switched to 2G (Europe) or from global to 1XEV (North America)
    [Manage Connections -> Mobile Network Options -> Network Mode: 2G]

2) Turn your Screen Brightness lower.
    [Options -> Screen/Keyboard -> Backlight Brightness: 10]

3) Turn your Backlight Timeout to 10s or 20s.
    [Options -> Screen/Keyboard -> Backlight Timeout: 10/20]

4) Make sure you don't have too many applications running in the background. Download the attached little app that lists all your running applications.

5) Turn off the GPS-Receiver when you don't need it.
    [Options -> Advanced Options -> GPS -> Disable]

6) Disable Bluetooth when you don't need it.
    [Manage Connections -> Bluetooth -> Tick Off]

7) When you are in an area where you don't have phone-reception, turn off the Radio.
    [Manage Connections -> Mobile Network -> Tick Off]

8) Carry your Storm in the OEM-Holster since (only) that thing triggers the Standby-Mode of the Storm. The Standby-Mode can be activated on all other devices by holding the Mute-Key for 3 seconds but on the current Storm-OS it doesn't have that feature. Maybe RIM will add that function in a future Build.

9) Regulary charge your Storm! Especially when you newly got your device, leave it hanging at the charging-cable for at least 12 hours!

10) Don't leave it uncharged (if you don't use it) for over 1 week since that is not good for the battery-pack.

Hope those tips help some of you! Just post your own experiences here on how to save battery!
    Last edited by BBA; 01-15-09 at 10:13 AM.
    01-15-09 10:07 AM
    Hello Storm-Users!
    1) Make sure 3G is switched to 2G
    [Manage Connections -> Mobile Network Options -> Network Mode: 2G
    Great list, but i think you mean switch from global to 1XEV?

*edit I see you are in Germany, the Global > 1XEV applies to north america
    Last edited by Fyrecracker; 01-15-09 at 10:13 AM.
    01-15-09 10:11 AM
    Great list, but i think you mean switch from global to 1XEV?

*edit I see you are in Germany, the Global > 1XEV applies to north america
    Thanks, changed/edited it in the post!
    01-15-09 10:14 AM
    thank you!
    01-15-09 10:14 AM
    How'bout taking it one step further and turn it off all the time? I mean, I got the phone for it's features why turn them all off? Doesn't matter if the battery lasts longer if it's not worth using.
    There are several holsters other than OEM that will trigger sleep mode too, BTW.
    Good points on charging, although mine fully charges in about 7 hours and the charging circuit turns off when full so 12 hours is no different than 7 for me.
    01-15-09 10:17 AM
    How'bout taking it one step further and turn it off all the time? I mean, I got the phone for it's features why turn them all off? Doesn't matter if the battery lasts longer if it's not worth using.
    Everything he posted does not affect functionality. If you are using VZW Navigator, of course you will need to enable GPS, and it will kill your battery. You don't need to do all of these to increase battery, you will notice a difference with even a few.
    01-15-09 10:25 AM
    4) Make sure you don't have too many applications running in the background. Download the attached little app that lists all your running applications.

Can you elaborate on this "little app", where can I get it?
    01-15-09 10:35 AM

Can you elaborate on this "little app", where can I get it?
    It's attached to the first post. It's a small app that lists the currently running applications. Nothing special; I just don't like the app-list when you hold the Menu-Key.

I just attached it since maybe someone finds it usefull.
    Eventually I could extend the app to close all open apps or so.
    01-15-09 10:38 AM
    That would be GOLDEN.
    01-15-09 11:40 AM
    That would be GOLDEN.
    Agreed, very handy.
    01-15-09 12:32 PM
    That would be a great app...assuming it doesn't have a memory leak!
    01-15-09 01:20 PM
    Just an FYI, but leaving GPS to Location On does not drain your battery. If nothing is making a call to the GSP chipset (app running in the background), it will not use anymore power.
    01-15-09 01:24 PM
    Just an FYI, but leaving GPS to Location On does not drain your battery. If nothing is making a call to the GSP chipset (app running in the background), it will not use anymore power.
    That's very good to know! Thank you for your input!
    01-15-09 01:27 PM
    How'bout taking it one step further and turn it off all the time? I mean, I got the phone for it's features why turn them all off? Doesn't matter if the battery lasts longer if it's not worth using
    Welcome to the world of testing beta software. It's such a privilege that you even have to PAY to test RIM's software
    01-15-09 03:01 PM
    I think every device is going to manage power differently. For instance, I keep GPS turned on, but the programs that use it, turned off until I need them. I have had GPS on all day and typical messages through BES, text messages, other email, web browsing, etc., and I have only used one bar of power.

However, the other day I was using it more and everything else the same with the programs running and I was DOWN to one bar left. So, it depends on the phone and in some cases really depends on the situation.

I do have my brightness set to 10, timeout to 20, memory cleaner active and I do not use a holster, just my pocket.
    01-15-09 03:53 PM
    I would add that an initial charge before use, until the bolt goes away, is helpful is getting the batt ready
    For a long life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-09 04:20 PM
    sorry for the quasi newb question - but when you pause a video and go back to the home screen to check email and such drain the batter or just chew up memory? I ask because I love watching bits and pieces of Anchorman and Snatch while having a few minutes of downtime at work, and was curious if this would chew up any additional battery life...

<my apologies for not starting a new thread if I should have I thought since we were talking about battery conservation it may be appropriate>
    01-15-09 04:51 PM
    an easier way of seeing what apps are running is to hold down the the blackberry button.

Not a good idea to add another app because you have too many apps.
    But thats just me.
    01-15-09 05:05 PM
    thats not true, any active program will use battery power to keep running. Having the GPS always on is the same as having BLUETOOTH always on. Although minimal power (not even noticable drain) will keeps the programs running, so If your looking for the WOW affect at saving battery life, you might need to look somewhere else.
    01-25-09 01:42 PM
    I hope, it will increase my battery life. But I want to use everything the phone has. it would be much better, if RIM includes an intelligent power managment in the next OS. Why shouldn�t the GPS be automatically turned of by the OS when it�s not used?!
    01-27-09 03:57 AM
    GPS doesn't drain my battery. I leave it on ALL THE TIME.
    01-27-09 04:02 AM
    What I have done on my storm to improve the battery life is remove the LED flash and Vibrate on incoming alerts (SMS, EMAIL, ...) To do this just simply

Go into Messages (SMS Messages or Emails) > BB Menu > Message Alerts >

You need to go into each options and turn off the LED and Vibrate
    01-27-09 04:49 AM
    @lundy

How long is your battery life? Mine is running out of power after 12 hours.
    01-27-09 04:56 AM
    24 hours of moderate usage and on a BES setup, at 60%. I figure it will give me just under 2 full days of usage before I HAVE to charge it. I'm also seeing how long I can run the phone without doing a battery pull, so no new apps for a bit. Longest I went was almost a week on .86, but then .90 came out so I said screw it.
    01-27-09 10:53 AM
    24 hours of moderate usage and on a BES setup, at 60%. I figure it will give me just under 2 full days of usage before I HAVE to charge it. I'm also seeing how long I can run the phone without doing a battery pull, so no new apps for a bit. Longest I went was almost a week on .86, but then .90 came out so I said screw it.
    I'm totally new to the Black Berry world and was just wondering why some people seem so obsessed with seeing how long they can go without a bettery pull or how long their battery lasts.

I've had cell phones as long as I can remember, and Ive never encountered such fanaticism...It's so bad, I'm even falling into the trap....What gives???
    01-27-09 11:46 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD