I refused to let this one beat me.

First off, this is not a PERFECT solution but, I think it makes the program completely usable until Google gets around to fixing their code.

If you don't already have it, download and install Google Maps (go to http://m.google.com/maps and choose "Install Now")

Download SignalLoc from here...

http://f5bbutil.sourceforge.net/sign.../signalloc.jad

Once you install and run it, it should look like this at first...

If you're in range of GPS satellites, you'll get a lock and it'll change to something like this...

Once the device has a location lock, hit the Blackberry menu button and choose "Show current loc on map".

The application will launch Google Maps and show you exactly where you are...just like this... (the blue circle is still there but the red dot pinpoints my exact location).

Some additional information...

Once Google Maps is open with the red pinpoint, that location is known to Google Maps. You can use it to "Map From" that point, you can mark it as a favorite, put it in your address book, etc.

You don't have to have Google Maps running first before trying to "Show current loc on map". I've done it both ways. If Google Maps is running, it just switches to it and puts the red pin on the map. If it's not running, it just launches it.

This goes without saying but, if I don't say it, someone will say something...If SignalLoc doesn't have a lock on satellites (it doesn't show Longitude and Latitude in the "Location" area), you won't have the menu option to "Show current loc on map".

You just have to change how you think about it now. If you want to find your exact location on Google Maps, don't launch Google Maps...launch SignalLoc first.

I'm doing this with SignalLoc version 1.0.1116 and Google Maps version 3.0.1.

When I first tried this, I got some Exception Error. I fiddled with my settings in SignalLoc a little and tried again. I don't know for sure if changing the settings made a difference or it just trying it again made it work. Just in case, here are my settings.

I hope this helps people.

EDIT 1: I updated the link to a newer version of SignalLoc (thanks BigVDawgy for the link to this)

EDIT 2: 02/10/09 - OK, I've communicated with the developer of SignalLoc (super-nice guy, by the way! Thanks for all of your help George). As for getting SignalLoc to continuously, or regularly, update your location on Google Maps, it can't. The developer states "Unfortunately, there's no way to have Google Maps use SignalLock to update the location. When you call Google Maps from SignalLoc, all I do is pass the current coordinates for display. There isn't any way for me to update that once Google Maps starts."

So, if you've changed location and want to update that on Google Maps, hold down the BB Menu button to bring up the app-switcher, select the SignalLoc icon, make sure SignalLoc still has a fix on your position, hit the BB Menu button, and choose "Show current loc on map".
    Last edited by Habious; 02-10-09 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Updated link to newer SL version: added info 02/10/09
    02-07-09 08:19 AM
    Downloading now...

Thanks!
    02-07-09 08:26 AM
    Weird... Signallock is running compatibility mode... but I have no option to disable it under app settings... what the hell? lol

weird.
    02-07-09 08:29 AM
    Weird... Signallock is running compatibility mode... but I have no option to disable it under app settings... what the hell? lol

weird.
    Very weird...I can enable/disable compatibility mode...just checked to be sure.

Maybe a batt pull is in order.
    02-07-09 08:31 AM
    Very weird...I can enable/disable compatibility mode...just checked to be sure.

Maybe a batt pull is in order.
    Doing it right now...

I must add though that I just tested it, and it works... had to change my default maps from Blackberry to Google though in SignalLoc... after that it worked great...

It's pretty funny cause where I live... it shows the nearest tower 15 miles away from my house... Yes I live int he middle of no where... Central Pennsyltucky...

Cheers!

Lee.
    02-07-09 08:41 AM
    OK... still no "Compat Mode" option after battery pull... must be a result of my hybrid OS... running the .90 "Radio Code" under .99... Which rocks btw... hehe.

Anyway, this kicks ***! Props to you Habious!
    02-07-09 08:47 AM
    Does your location in google maps update as you drive, or does signal lock just give google maps your latitude and longitude inserting it as a location?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-09 09:06 AM
    Does your location in google maps update as you drive, or does signal lock just give google maps your latitude and longitude inserting it as a location?

It looks like it just gives GMM your lat/lon.

BTW, I posted a link to this thread on the Google discussion thread. Good work Habious!
    02-07-09 09:12 AM
    Good question...I don't know. Haven't been able to test that.

SignalLoc is still running in the background so, it's possible for it.

There's a setting in the SignalLoc options Under "GPS and Mapping" that has "GPS update interval (sec)" and the option to "Periodically add a current location landmark".

So, it should do just that. But, again, haven't tested this (It's REALLY cold out here...anyone ELSE wanna go for a walk this morning?)
    02-07-09 09:13 AM
    Running .99 non-hybrid here and cannot disable compatibility mode either. Battey pulls don't help. Odd.

02-07-09 09:16 AM
    You live by me!
    02-07-09 09:18 AM
    Running .99 non-hybrid here and cannot disable compatibility mode either. Battey pulls don't help. Odd.
    I wonder what's up with this compatibility mode issue. I'm running .99 and have no problem with it running in full mode (and I have the option to enable/disable compatibility mode).

The only thing (and I doubt it matters) is when I first downloaded SignalLoc, it was an older version that didn't work on 4.7. I had to do another search to find the version I posted (and installed on my phone).
    02-07-09 09:31 AM
    I just wana know if it will show my location as I drive....I will watch this space!

Excellent find BTW!
    02-07-09 09:31 AM
    I wonder what's up with this compatibility mode issue. I'm running .99 and have no problem with it running in full mode (and I have the option to enable/disable compatibility mode).

The only thing (and I doubt it matters) is when I first downloaded SignalLoc, it was an older version that didn't work on 4.7. I had to do another search to find the version I posted (and installed on my phone).
    Same here. I'm running .99 and have the option to enable/disable compatability - weird.

Nice find btw! Thanks for sharing!
    02-07-09 10:15 AM
    Just installed signal lock. Got my location on GMM within a few feet. GREAT! Time for a drive. Let everyone know in a bit.
    02-07-09 10:18 AM
    I just got back from a walk around the block. It doesn't appear to update.

It seems like it SHOULD but, it doesn't. When you go from Google Maps BACK to SignalLoc, SignalLoc seems to have to reaquire the GPS signal again.

I'm wondering if only one app can access the GPS data at a time. I'm in the process of changing the settings so that Google Maps does NOT access the GPS data...and see if SignalLoc can continuously update the location then. Have to reboot....hang on folks.

This WILL NOT beat me!!!
    02-07-09 10:28 AM
    Damn...

Ok here's what I see going on...

First, when I turn the GPS access off for Google Maps...it no longer runs...bastards.

Second, I can see that SignalLoc will maintain a GPS location lock while running in the background when I run a program that doesn't access the GPS. I can go to e-mail, phone, the home screen, etc...and, when I go back to SignalLoc, it still has my current location info.

But, when I put SignalLoc in the background and bring up Google Maps, when I go back to SignalLoc, it has "Not yet Valid" for current location...i.e. no GPS lock. After a few seconds, it reacquires the GPS lock and then shows my current location (Lat/Long).

Damn.

Well, as I originally said, it's not a perfect solution. But, it gives us more than we had yesterday. I'm putting this one in the Win column.
    02-07-09 10:40 AM
    I just downloaded the latest SignalLoc v1.0.1116 and it seems to work fine.
    http://f5bbutil.sourceforge.net/sign.../signalloc.jad

EDIT: I am running .99 and successfully disabled Compatibility Mode
    Last edited by BigVDawgy; 02-07-09 at 11:13 AM.
    02-07-09 11:02 AM
    Did some driving...Got some coffee....and found a couple things...

First Quick background.
    BBOS v.4.7.0.90
    GMM - 3.0.1

Signal Loc works great for getting coordinates and tower information. I could map it to my current location without issue. However the automatic update did not work with GMM. I had it set for 5 seconds, intervals were polled and you could see the results in SL. however it did not constantly update in GMM. Gonna do some more investigating but so far no luck w/ gps nav w/ GMM.
    02-07-09 11:03 AM
    I am running.76 and there are no options for compatibility mode.
    02-07-09 11:12 AM
    .99 here and no options for compat mode
    Weird these differences. Are we all downloading the same version?
    02-07-09 11:16 AM
    Thanks BigVDawgy...I updated my SignalLoc version...and I've updated the original post to reflect this new link.

Also, with this new version (1.0.1116), I STILL have the option to enable/disable compatibility mode....so I really don't understand why some folks have the option and others don't.
    02-07-09 11:16 AM
    With the latest still no option to disable compat mode
    02-07-09 11:36 AM
    With the latest still no option to disable compat mode
    I have to ask...do you know how to disable compat mode? Are you looking in the right place? Options->advanced->apps->highlight app->bb button->disable
    02-07-09 11:48 AM
    Yes Sir
    02-07-09 11:52 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD