Seeing lots of threads about lost browsers, BBM, contacts, etc. Here's how to avoid this:

1) Before you upgrade your phone, backup your device through Desktop Manager. It's right there on the main page of the program. This will save all of your settings, contacts, messages, etc...you can also backup 3rd-party apps using the directions on this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/ho...-4-7-a-125449/

The new OS loading process WILL do this, but if your dog trips over the cable, or something happens to your computer during the process, etc etc...it is just safe to perform these backups!

THIRD PARTY APPLICATION SETTINGS AND LOGIN INFO WILL NOT AND CANNOT BE RESTORED IN ANY WAY.

2) After upgrading your OS, perform a battery pull.

3) Go to Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > BB Menu Key > Register Now. This will resent service books so your browser icon shows up, etc.

4) If something is STILL missing, reconnect to Desktop Manager and click the Application Loader. Check off the missing application to reinstall what's missing from the core OS.
    Last edited by jetman1287; 05-31-09 at 06:41 PM.
    05-31-09 06:15 PM
    this should be a sticky, and great advice, it gets posted sometimes 2 or 3 times a day it seems
    05-31-09 06:37 PM
    Seeing lots of threads about lost browsers, BBM, contacts, etc. Here's how to avoid this:

1) Before you upgrade your phone, backup your device through Desktop Manager. It's right there on the main page of the program. This will save all of your settings, contacts, messages, etc...you can also backup 3rd-party apps using the directions on this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/ho...-4-7-a-125449/

The new OS loading process WILL do this, but if your dog trips over the cable, or something happens to your computer during the process, etc etc...it is just safe to perform these backups!

THIRD PARTY APPLICATION SETTINGS AND LOGIN INFO WILL NOT AND CANNOT BE RESTORED IN ANY WAY.

2) After upgrading your OS, perform a battery pull.

3) Go to Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > BB Menu Key > Register Now. This will resent service books so your browser icon shows up, etc.

4) If something is STILL missing, reconnect to Desktop Manager and the Application Loader. Check off the missing application to reinstall what's missing from the core OS.
    I agree....great post and this should be a sticky!!!!! C'mon Mod's hook it up!!
    05-31-09 06:38 PM
    this should be a sticky, and great advice, it gets posted sometimes 2 or 3 times a day it seems
    It already is a sticky. The NOOB thread is up top and addresses everything. Folks just don't take the time to read.
    05-31-09 06:38 PM
    It already is a sticky. The NOOB thread is up top and addresses everything. Folks just don't take the time to read.
    Agreed...all the info is already there but they don't read it...just wanted to make something point-blank, getting sick of the browser missing threads.
    05-31-09 06:40 PM
    I just did the ota upgrade I guess we don't have to wait till 10! The only thing I lost was my call log on my left key.
    Anyone know how to get it back?
    05-31-09 06:53 PM
    You have to put that back yourself..
    05-31-09 06:54 PM
    How do I put call log in myself its not in my list for key setting?
    05-31-09 07:12 PM
    You mean adding it to the convenience key on the side? Options > Screen/Keyboard > Scroll down...
    05-31-09 07:29 PM
    Yeah yeah did that there's no call log in the menu of left side key! What's up?
    05-31-09 08:05 PM
    Yeah yeah did that there's no call log in the menu of left side key! What's up?
    IIRC, there is no call log option anymore in .148. You would have to press the green send key, then press the phone (middle button) at the top of the screen to get your call log.
    05-31-09 08:11 PM
    I was hoping somebody could help me....

I was in the process of downloading the new update....everything was going fine...then it started to slow down a bit during "task in progress..Connecting to device"....then a window popped up saying usb connection failed.
    I looked at the phone and it was rebooting, and the progression line on the DM continues to move along slowly.
    I checked my Storm, the upgrade worked, but it doesn't have my contacts, emails, wallpaper...etc.
    Do I continue to keep it connected to the DM?
    Do I just restore using a backup to get all my stuff back?

Thanks for any help....
    05-31-09 08:23 PM
    I was hoping somebody could help me....

I was in the process of downloading the new update....everything was going fine...then it started to slow down a bit during "task in progress..Connecting to device"....then a window popped up saying usb connection failed.
    I looked at the phone and it was rebooting, and the progression line on the DM continues to move along slowly.
    I checked my Storm, the upgrade worked, but it doesn't have my contacts, emails, wallpaper...etc.
    Do I continue to keep it connected to the DM?
    Do I just restore using a backup to get all my stuff back?

Thanks for any help....
    Assuming you did a back up prior to upgrading, you should get all your stuff back with a restore.
    05-31-09 08:50 PM

Ok...I didn't do any of this but I got the email from BB saying that my phone was successfully registered. Did it do it by itself or should I do this anyway? Was that email even about this (registration)?
    05-31-09 09:06 PM

Ok...I didn't do any of this but I got the email from BB saying that my phone was successfully registered. Did it do it by itself or should I do this anyway? Was that email even about this (registration)?
    You normally get 2 emails when you do this, one from BB about registering with the network and another about...hmm I can't remember! Some BS like "thanks for getting a BBERRY." But you do get 2 emails.
    05-31-09 09:12 PM
    You normally get 2 emails when you do this, one from BB about registering with the network and another about...hmm I can't remember! Some BS like "thanks for getting a BBERRY." But you do get 2 emails.
    Oh ok...I did get one from VZW and one from BB but I guess it wouldn't hurt to go thru the motions right?
    05-31-09 09:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD