I know this topic has been discussed alot, but, how much free memory do you REALLY need for the phone and apps to run smoothly?

After upgrading to .148, I had about 42 megs free on reboots; I have added vlingo, WSJ Reader, Viilog and Buzz me, and now my free memory on reboots is around 36 megs..

Phone runs smoothly, no problems, so I assume this amount is fine, but, is there a "official" amount that RIM says is needed on the Storm for it to run properly?

with a few things running at the same time, it drops to as low as 22 megs, but everything still seems to work ok at that point..when that happens, do I need to shut things off, or if it runs ok, leave well enough alone???

thank you for your input!
    06-02-09 10:10 AM
    since the upgrade, I have a little more memory on reboot (29 vs 25 MB) but I have a leak and it soon drops to below 20MB with no apps running.
    06-02-09 10:14 AM
    I know this topic has been discussed alot, but, how much free memory do you REALLY need for the phone and apps to run smoothly?

After upgrading to .148, I had about 42 megs free on reboots; I have added vlingo, WSJ Reader, Viilog and Buzz me, and now my free memory on reboots is around 36 megs..

Phone runs smoothly, no problems, so I assume this amount is fine, but, is there a "official" amount that RIM says is needed on the Storm for it to run properly?

with a few things running at the same time, it drops to as low as 22 megs, but everything still seems to work ok at that point..when that happens, do I need to shut things off, or if it runs ok, leave well enough alone???

thank you for your input!
    Pretty much, you need enough memory so that your phone still runs smoothly. There is not a "defined" number. Generally, if you can still run your phone without trouble, then you are still in good shape.

I try to run about 40+ but that's only so I can add more applications without really thinking much about it.

I've gotten as low as 20 before, and barely noticed the performance difference. I've heard some people run even lower (~10).

Hope that helps!
    06-02-09 10:33 AM
    since the upgrade, I have a little more memory on reboot (29 vs 25 MB) but I have a leak and it soon drops to below 20MB with no apps running.
    Did you wipe before you upgraded? What leak were you running?
    06-02-09 10:34 AM
    Pretty much, you need enough memory so that your phone still runs smoothly. There is not a "defined" number. Generally, if you can still run your phone without trouble, then you are still in good shape.

I try to run about 40+ but that's only so I can add more applications without really thinking much about it.

I've gotten as low as 20 before, and barely noticed the performance difference. I've heard some people run even lower (~10).

Hope that helps!
    ive been booting up 45m, dropping to bout 35
    ive gone down to 11mb before
    one time, on my second phone (im currently on third) ive gone down to 0
    06-02-09 10:35 AM
    thanks for all the good answers, folks!

I figured that since the phone runs smoothly at 20 megs with a few apps running in the background, it was ok to be at that level.
    I use quik pull every morning, just out of force of habit, but maybe I dont even need to do that unless the phone is behaving poorly...can you go several days without a restart on this phone, or should you restart every day?
    with my iphone, I used to restart regularly, and it seemed to help, but not sure about the Storm..

thanks!
    06-02-09 10:48 AM
    ive been booting up 45m, dropping to bout 35
    ive gone down to 11mb before
    one time, on my second phone (im currently on third) ive gone down to 0
    Getting down to 0 is definitely scary!
    06-02-09 10:49 AM
    You should run fine at 10MB. You'll probably be okay lower than that even. People that tell you their phone is lagging at 20MB or something are mental.

Zero is scary. I was there once, and 700kb or so once as well. Funny thing is, my phone was still running rather smoothly.
    06-02-09 11:28 AM
    On 75 my phone would be in single digits for days and no real lag......so far with
    148 official I'm In the thirties most of time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-09 11:33 AM
    I've had 50 free working fine and I've had 10mb and running fine. On Average it runs at about 30 with about 10 apps installed.

Honestly I don't pay attention anymore, constantly checking how much memory is free is pointless.
    06-02-09 11:42 AM
    Boot up at 50...wind up at 33 w/ only weatherbug running 4 hours later
    06-02-09 11:49 AM
    thanks for all the good answers, folks!

I figured that since the phone runs smoothly at 20 megs with a few apps running in the background, it was ok to be at that level.
    I use quik pull every morning, just out of force of habit, but maybe I dont even need to do that unless the phone is behaving poorly...can you go several days without a restart on this phone, or should you restart every day?
    with my iphone, I used to restart regularly, and it seemed to help, but not sure about the Storm..

thanks!
    I jumped around on OSes alot, between installing leaks and hybrids, but for a good while, I was running on straight .75. When I was on that, I would usually go 7-8 days without needing to do a battery pull. I did do a decent amount of tweaking on the OS however, so I might not be the best candidate to go by.

A couple of my co-workers that use the phone like they would use a normal one, have been saying they had to battery pull every 3-4 days, but each of them was running a ton of Apps.

I would say, give it a test, you know its easy to get back if you are having issues (just use Quickpull), so see how long you can go without needing to reboot.
    06-02-09 11:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD