get ready for a new os my 9530 friends, one may be coming today
    04-26-10 11:58 AM
    You folks who keep saying that stuff gets better, yeah I agree with you. But say you buy a new car, have nothing but problems out of it, ask for the company to stand by their product and fix it, make it right, and they come out with a whole new different car to fix the problems they were having with the first design, don't tell me you wouldn't feel pissed, and forgotten about, cause its a ******* lie.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ...They didn't. Maybe from a hardware perspective, yes. But let's say in your new car, the speedometer doesn't work. They fix it. Your oil is low. They fix it.

That's the OS fixes. They can't just remake the entire hardware and reissue it. The Storm is not the only phone to get a whole new model for hardware changes, look at the LG Chocolate. 4 different models that all have the same damn technology, just slightly different.

RIM didn't just say "Oh, well the Storm doesn't work, we're completely going to drop support, disown the phone, and release a new one." They released new OS' to try and fix the issues they had control over. You can be as bitter as you'd like but if you try 4.7.0.65 and then 5.0.0.419, and you can 100% honestly say there is no difference and nothing has been fixed, then you sir, are a liar.

You can say you're forgotten about all you want, but it's gotten to the point where the device can't handle anything further, and it's outdated. There's no real issues left to be fixed, the optimization between .4XX and .6XX isn't much, with no new features. What else do you want?

Also;

I'm still mad that I can't find tapes for the 8 track player in my pickup truck, Blockbuster quit carrying movies in Betamax format, there are no new games for my Commodore 64, and my doctor insists on writing prescriptions instead of applying leeches or bloodletting.

This post is awesome.
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 04-26-10 at 12:20 PM.
    04-26-10 12:11 PM
    ...They didn't. Maybe from a hardware perspective, yes. But let's say in your new car, the speedometer doesn't work. They fix it. Your oil is low. They fix it.

That's the OS fixes. They can't just remake the entire hardware and reissue it. The Storm is not the only phone to get a whole new model for hardware changes, look at the LG Chocolate. 4 different models that all have the same damn technology, just slightly different.

RIM didn't just say "Oh, well the Storm doesn't work, we're completely going to drop support, disown the phone, and release a new one." They released new OS' to try and fix the issues they had control over. You can be as bitter as you'd like but if you try 4.7.0.65 and then 5.0.0.419, and you can 100% honestly say there is no difference and nothing has been fixed, then you sir, are a liar.

You can say you're forgotten about all you want, but it's gotten to the point where the device can't handle anything further, and it's outdated. There's no real issues left to be fixed, the optimization between .4XX and .6XX isn't much, with no new features. What else do you want?

Also;

This post is awesome.
    What I'm talking about is hardware, I know about the os updates. I said it earlier in this thread, ill say it again, don't half *** make something and then advertise what cool device your fixing to have come out, get the public all excited, and then market a pos phone. Then to fix your **** up six to eight months later by releasing another version. Your entitled to your opinion just as I am. I respect your opinion. But to me, this isn't very good business, personally because of it, and other products like the tour and its trackball problems, rim needs to get their **** together. And rim is in my opinion ten years behind in the smartphone world. Sure a typewriter works, why in the **** would I want to use it though, when there is cool phones like the incredible or nexus one coming out, that are so much easier to use.

04-26-10 01:03 PM
    I agree and respect your opinion, but that's life. It's a consistenly used model, but look at cars. You tell me the difference between a 2009 and a 2010 Honda Civic.

Nothing.

At least there's some differences between the Storm and the Storm2 that warrant an upgrade. I used the Chocolate as an example, and I'll roll with that again. What's the different between the Chocolate and the Chocolate 2? A silver wheel as opposed to black plastic. Boy, thanks LG! Really busted up the engineers for those ideas. At least RIM had the decency to admit they f*cked up and put out a better working phone.

And as far as your 'hype up a crappy phone' thing. Dude. This happens ALL THE TIME. How many movies have you heard are going to be amazing only to turn out to be awful? Another well known example, we'll look no further than Microsoft. LOOK AT WINDOWS VISTA. That was an ABORTION of an OS. You seriously think RIM would be putting out commercials that say "Uh, look...we had this awesome idea, but it didn't turn out so well, so this phone kind of sucks right now, but it will get better!"? No. They're going to hype it up no matter how bad it is, that's just how companies work. Not just RIM, ALL companies.

But why come here and complain? Why not go out and get a Nexus One or the Incredible? I don't understand. Storm and Tour owners seem to be into torturing themselves waiting for the next best thing. If your phone really frustrates you that much; change it. That's why I got the Storm2. I was fed up with the crap on the Storm. My problems were solved. Why not solve your own grief by getting a different phone?

I'm not saying this assuming everyone can just buy a new phone on the drop of a hat either, but anyone that could afford a Storm can afford to save up some money for a couple months and get a new phone they actually want, because all I see now is Storm owners complaining, even more than when we had builds where the camera didn't work or launching certain things would reset the phone.
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 04-26-10 at 01:22 PM.
    04-26-10 01:17 PM
    All valid points, you even made me laugh. It just sucks to have felt like they stuck it up your *** and broke it off, that feeling sucks and leaves a sour taste in your mouth, and I think that's why tour and storm owners have the attitude we have. Your right, from movies to car companies, it happens all the time, they promise you this cool product, and it turns out to be a bunch of ****. I keep saying and others, the HTC Incredible is going to be the greatest phone ever, screw RIM, but nothing should be said until the public sees if there is going to be problems arise like it did with the Storm, or any first generation device, **** even the first iphone. But! I would hope that HTC doesn't do a half *** job, and makes sure they are at least close to 100% sure they have all the hardware the way it should be and the software at least where you can have the full experience with the phone, I understand it will not be perfect, there well be things a company like HTC won't catch, and that's why there is OS updates, to fix what they didn't catch. But from the way RIM handled the deal with the Storm, I don't agree with it, and like it was suggested, well be going with another brand. The way I see it is, I get guaranteed I have the latest and greatest what ever, I believe they should stand behind their product. And if its a pos, make me a deal, half off, or what ever the ****, but make me feel like I got my moneys worth instead of making me feel like you stole my money. Yeah, those are very valid points, your right, sometimes when you feel you where ****** in the ***, its best to take your ******* and just go on in life.

04-26-10 04:45 PM
    Wow there is a lot of stars in this post. The end of your post really made me laugh though, as I'm doing my best to fill in the blanks. I can understand the feeling, definitely. And hey, props to you if you've made it this long with the Storm, I sure as h*ll couldn't.

Regardless, you made me laugh. So I seriously hope the Incredible turns out to be your perfect phone. As for me, I can't live without SurePress, so I'm doomed to continue cycling through Storms like it's my day job. Which I'm fine with.

Best of luck with your upgrade.
    04-27-10 09:58 AM
    ....and I get annoyed with RIM putting apps on my phone that I didn't want or ask for. I read somewhere you can just upgrade your Storm software and change it to a Storm 2. Is that true?
    First off as stated many, many, many times, it's not RIM that puts unwanted apps on your phone. Verizon pushes apps onto your phone.

Second, no, software will not make your phone a Storm 2. The Storm 2 is different phone with some hardware differences.
    04-27-10 11:30 AM
    Some people are unhappy with the OS, be it RIM or the carrier, others feel like they've been duped... Some, think it's the best thing since deep-fried chicken.
    I for one, feel like RIM spent more $$$ into making the S1 into something that wasn't, than making a proper OS. The device was rushed, way to early. They should give S1 owners some sort of incentive for being the guinea-pigs that they were.

Well, that's my 2� anyway...
    Last edited by xantius; 04-28-10 at 01:48 AM.
    04-28-10 01:43 AM
    If companies gave hand outs for every time a customer felt wronged, every company on the planet would be broke.

The Storm is not the first time someone feels as though they've 'beta tested' for whoever, and it certainly won't be the last. Move on, guys.
    04-28-10 03:55 AM
    Yep feel screwed. I gave them my money and faith that they made their 1st touchscreen phone different and a real competitor, and instead ive had to put up with being screwtanised by my carrier and breaking my warrently by loading Beta firmware, more issues than Id like to imagine, and a new better model brought out significantly earlier than expected with absolutly NO offers for current S1 owners to move up.

RIM would know that the S1 was an abortion, and knew it would have tarnished their rep some what, yet to not even make an offer for S1 owners to upgrade slightly cheaper to the S2 or maybe the upcomming S3 is the final straw for me, and with my S1 reaching the end of its pitiful life for reasons unknown I will not be returning to blackberrys again. They got to confident with some of their abilities, and while others were making better handsets and making push email services just as good, blackberry appeared to focus on releasing handhelds that all look the same basically, execpt some had a ball, others a button, others a screen. As a result to me theyve been left in the dust just like us S1 owners.
    04-28-10 06:46 AM
    Call the wahmbulance. This thread is supposed to be about the webkit not making it on to the Storm 1, not "Wahhh, I bought a phone I don't like and now I feel owed a better one!". Take your complaints to the Rants and Raves forum where they belong.
    04-28-10 07:33 AM
    Call the wahmbulance. This thread is supposed to be about the webkit not making it on to the Storm 1, not "Wahhh, I bought a phone I don't like and now I feel owed a better one!". Take your complaints to the Rants and Raves forum where they belong.
    STOP IT MAN, STOP IT I CAN'T CATCH MY BREATH. LMAO lol.

04-28-10 07:51 AM
    Read the thread topic.
    04-28-10 12:21 PM
    Read the thread topic.
    Yup, ok. Now try reading the rest of the thread. If you go the very first post, (I know, tough stuff) you'll see this was a thread created by a Storm2 owner (or something) pretty much saying "Wow, so you S1 owners got screwed out of WebKit...how do you feel about that?".

It wasn't "Hey guys, we only have an entire forum dedicated to complaining about the Storm, I figure we might need another thread full of sob stories."
    04-28-10 01:06 PM
    Is WES over? I thought RIM was supposed to discuss the Storm 3. That's a massive fail if they dont as they are falling WAY behind in my opinion.

I've been ready to ditch my Storm 1 for months now - have no memory left (heavy biz user and have very little apps, yet can only boot up with like 6 mb and it drops fast), and have to reboot way too often, but trying to hold out for news on the S3 (S2 isn't a big enough difference). Meanwhile, Android is on fire with new interesting/fast devices, and I'm super tempted to go HTC Incredible even though my IT wouldn't be thrilled with me on a non-BB device.

OS 6.0 looks like a step in the right direction, but RIM is trying to play catch up and really getting left behind. With no S3 announcement, they may lose a lot of biz...
    04-28-10 01:50 PM
    Another point you've made well... another reason, S1 owners, feel left high and dry. Except for a few fanatics, and a few that didn't have any high hopes for the device... just that it sometimes worked.
    04-28-10 02:49 PM
    So when or will the Storm get the new webkit?

04-28-10 05:57 PM
    It won't. The WebKit is part of 6.0, which the Storm isn't getting..which means no WebKit.
    04-28-10 06:20 PM
    Huh? Ill be dang

04-28-10 06:31 PM
119 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD