I just got off the phone after trying to trouble shoot a VZ Navigator issue, and the Blackberry support person told me that the Blackberry was only designed to hold 1000 contacts (more if a contact has multiple entries). Has anyone heard of this? Only 1000 contacts? Really? Or is this just BS?

My Navigator issue was that when my user clicked on "Contacts" inside the Navigator software, it takes about 1 minute 45 seconds to pull up his contacts. The Verizon rep said that's more than likley because it's polling our BES server for any changes and besides, the BB isn't designed to hold more than 1000 contacts.

What do you people say?
    05-10-10 12:54 PM
    always wondered that too! never asked though, i figured as many as you wanted to as long as you had memory available for them but i could be wrong.
    05-10-10 12:56 PM
    I am quite sure i have about 2500 contacts, each with multiple numbers.

Sounds like BS
    05-10-10 12:57 PM
    Well, the user I'm working with has 3117 contacts. Some are multiples. But his contacts seem to work fine. It's just the VZ Navagator software doesnt like to pull destinations from his contacts, it seems to choke, cough and then it displays the contact list.
    Last edited by InAsheville; 05-10-10 at 01:39 PM.
    05-10-10 01:16 PM
    I've got a few thousand myself and have no issues on the BlackBerry end. The fact that you're having some issues with third party apps doesn't surprise me though. It's a pretty big database to handle

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-10 02:57 PM
    Never really mattered to me, I don't have very many friends anyway.
    05-10-10 04:33 PM
    I can't begin to imagine how the voice dialing would work (accurately) with that many contacts!
    05-10-10 04:42 PM
    Ha! I was just thinking the exact same thing. I only have a little over 600 contacts, but had occasionally wondered if there was a cap. I do understand though, and Dave's point about Voice Dialing is a good example, how the number of contacts impacts other software that would work with it.

I had a RIM tech tell me once that there is also a max number of emails that can be hosted on your server. My host provider for my business email is GoDaddy. I was having an email issue (mails were not coming in) and the VZW person was unable to help and transferred me to RIM. In his effort to help me, he noticed that I currently had "889 emails" on the web version of my GoDaddy account. His words "You're under the 900 limit, but it's close, you might try deleting some of these and it should help." This was the first time I'd heard of any cap on emails. Since all my email comes to my computer and is stored on Outlook, I was not adverse to cleaning up the mail on my server. Interestingly, when I did this, reducing the emails to around 350-400, the problem went away. Not to hijack here, but anyone heard of this?

I can't begin to imagine how the voice dialing would work (accurately) with that many contacts!
    05-10-10 04:53 PM
    I have nothing constructive at all to offer here. I just wanted to say that if I even had 1000 contacts I wouldn't even know who 985 of them were!
    05-10-10 11:42 PM
    Sounds more like VZ Navigator isn't designed to deal with > 1000 contacts...not the BB itself.
    05-11-10 07:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD